Questions Regarding Cricket Equipment (Bats, Pads, Gloves etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure there will be enough buyers :D

By the way, are you planning to get your bat repaired?

Will take it in to the local cricket shop and see what they can do, might need to purchase a new handle.

SempreSami, did you see new Kookaburra range? Did you like it?

Kookaburra pads have never impressed me so I really don't care about them. But I was waiting for there gloves and they weren't that bad. TO me they looked tad better than GN and GM. Having said that I find current years Blade 950 gloves to be a bit better than newer ones.

Although I liked Rogue bat.

My cousin has this year's Blade 950 pads, got them for half price in an end of season sale. They're really good and he rates them highly, although I can't help but think that they look a touch smaller than my GM pads.

I like the new range, this year's grew on me and I like the Rogue, reminds me of the old Diablo used by Damien Martyn back in the day.

My cousin has this year's Blade 950 pads, got them for half price in an end of season sale. They're really good and he rates them highly, although I can't help but think that they look a touch smaller than my GM pads.

I like the new range, this year's grew on me and I like the Rogue, reminds me of the old Diablo used by Damien Martyn back in the day.

Thing is that I don't like many traditional pads. The only I like would Newbery's traditional pads other than that I really don't like any brand traditional style pads.

I really liked Rogue bats as I kinda like Orange and they look nice. If Blade 950 gloves design was used for Rogue it would have been awesome

i personally dont see the value in paying more for these bigger brands when you can get similar quality subcontinental bats for a fraction of the price. i wouldn't mind trying one of the smaller bat makers from the uk if they can price their bats competitively

i personally dont see the value in paying more for these bigger brands when you can get similar quality subcontinental bats for a fraction of the price. i wouldn't mind trying one of the smaller bat makers from the uk if they can price their bats competitively

WHen you hold both bats (Asian and English) in your hand you will notice a difference between them.

Is it worth paying that much more just because they 'feel better'? :)

Or do you feel they play better as well?

One of the key thing I have noticed when comparing (Asian and English) bats is that English bats are very well constructed and craftsmanship is better, in my opinion. Everyone has there own perfernce and way of looking a bat.

Just list the questions in this thread and they will answer them. I am sure they are reading and following this thread.

WHen you hold both bats (Asian and English) in your hand you will notice a difference between them.

So you prefer glossy stickers and waxed willow?

Give me a raw rough top piece of willow any day. you can make their finish just like the English bats if you put in a half hours work. And it comes prepared the way you want it to.

Don't kid yourself, the English companies spend a lot advertising this "supposed" difference from Asian ones. there is only so much one can do to a bat. If you make sure they have a 9 piece / 12 piece handle, nice shape that's about it. get some wax and polish it up if you want that special finish.

That was my opinion. I don't want people to agree with what I say or what I write. We have forums so everyone can express their opinions. Having sai that with your above post I am still not convinced that Asian bats are better than English.

I think Asian bats use same handles as English but they still break more often than English bats handle does.

SS and SG now finish as well as English brands, this is because they work extensively with them and have picked up useful tips on buffing compounds etc.

The main difference is pressing, Asian bats are notoriously under pressed in the toe in a quest to find a big bow. Newbery are able to do that same bow but press consistently well.

I know about SG but which brand English brand does SS work with?

Why is that? I mean if they press the toe then they won't get the bow?

I'm always confused as to where Puma's are made. are they made in india & then "inspected" by Robert Pack?

Do you think SG picked up those tips working closely with Kooks?

all the indian players use indian bats. i don't think they would be using them if they were in any way inferior.

a question i wanted to ask was: do these big indian companies namely SG & SS have the same machines used by their english counterparts for pressing the bats?

There is no stock press, they're specially built for the job so the answer is no.

Indian players get bats from all around the world, which is common for test batsman. If they're touring the UK they'll make visit to Sussex, India then they'll go to Meerut and in NZ to Hawkes Bay.

since they press the middle to get the bow, i am assuming, if u have the contact, u can probably get them to press the toe as well.

but the stamp on the edges is not a sticker and is burnished (if that is the right word), so i assumed they were made by the indian bat makers.

anyway living here in asia, it is not cost effective for me to go for the uk bats. also almost all the bigger brands r being made in the same factories.

i would love to try one of the boutique brands like SAF. they got really good good reviews on AOC from the ex england players

since they press the middle to get the bow, i am assuming, if u have the contact, u can probably get them to press the toe as well.

but the stamp on the edges is not a sticker and is burnished (if that is the right word), so i assumed they were made by the indian bat makers

anyway living here in asia, it is not cost effective for me to go for the uk bats. also almost all the bigger brands r being made in the same factories.

i would love to try one of the boutique brands like SAF. they got really good good reviews on AOC from the ex england players

Some brands such as CA, MB, SG, BAS etc have ink stamped whereas SS has the one you described above.

sssfbat1.jpg
sssfbat2.jpg

sssfbat3.jpg
sssfbat4.jpg

Last edited:
sssfbat5.jpg
sssfbat6.jpg

sssfbat7.jpg
sssfbat8.jpg

sskitlargepic.jpg

Pictures of me trying out new SS pads in the kitchen. Sorry Uzair, I couldnt take pictures of all my kit today but on the weekend I will post rest of the new kit pictures inshallah...

Last edited:
Lovely pics majid papa, the more i look at your kit the more envious i get.... You the man!!.

So taking into consideration your expertise of cricket bats, what would you recommend for a budget of around £120-£140??

Thanks Lala. I do have some decent looking kit but am not an expert like askmoi or Uzair(Cover Drive). If you live in the UK I would recommend GM 808 or GN 5 star bat. If you want to buy frm online site I would recommend Ajit frm www.onlinestockist. Ajit has great bats at extremely good prices and he offers excellent customer service and their's not many other sites that can match the services of Ajit. I would recommend you these frm his site Adidas master blaster county bat, SF saphire & SS TON LE.

Last edited:
Lovely pics majid papa, the more i look at your kit the more envious i get.... You the man!!.

So taking into consideration your expertise of cricket bats, what would you recommend for a budget of around £120-£140??

I am assuming you are based in UK. So the cheapest option would be buy a bat from Asad Bhai at uzisports.co.uk. Many people have bought stuff from him and are extremely happy. His service is second to none and is very helpful as well. Plus he is having a sale as well (upto 50%).

Last edited:
Majid Bhai, MashALLAH your pads look impressive. As Googly said the more you look the more you like. Yaar you should have tried SS Supertest (Sangakarra) gloves as they look better than these in my opinion

If there are any cricket shops local to you, go and have a nose. Might find a beaut in the end of season sale.

Majid Bhai, MashALLAH your pads look impressive. As Googly said the more you look the more you like. Yaar you should have tried SS Supertest (Sangakarra) gloves as they look better than these in my opinion
thanks. Gloves never look good whilst holding a bat in pictures because of the angle where the pics are taken from. But in flesh both the gloves ss super test sangakkara and these look excellent.

Last edited:
122387.jpg

have a look at dhoni's new bat !

JazakALLAH Khair for posting this picture. I wa about to post it as well.

Guys have a look at the grains. People say fewer grains are not good, so why is a professional player holding one of this? Actually owes it.

I am assuming you are based in UK. So the cheapest option would be buy a bat from Asad Bhai at uzisports.co.uk. Many people have bought stuff from him and are extremely happy. His service is second to none and is very helpful as well. Plus he is having a sale as well (upto 50%).

Thanks, i am really tempted with the ca plus extreme power, the sf sapphire also looks like a beast. Do you know if they have a store locally you could visit?

If you want a "beast" bat which has lots of meat then go for CA Extra Power as I have seen it and it is huge bat for its weight.

Hmm I think you can go to Uzi Sports store and check out the bats.

i always thought players prefer more grains. but the face looks clean with straight grains.

the bat hasn't been pressed at all. the dents r visible. probably gives the best ping but life is def shortened quite a bit. then again, these players get as many bats as they want unlike u n me who have to pay for each one.

Thanks Lala. I do have some decent looking kit but am not an expert like askmoi or Uzair(Cover Drive). If you live in the UK I would recommend GM 808 or GN 5 star bat. If you want to buy frm online site I would recommend Ajit frm www.onlinestockist. Ajit has great bats at extremely good prices and he offers excellent customer service and their's not many other sites that can match the services of Ajit. I would recommend you these frm his site Adidas master blaster county bat, SF saphire & SS TON LE.

thanks for the remakrs majid bhai but am not an expert. as for which bat to get, i would def ask u to go for asian bats at that price range. you can get custom made G1 bats.

majid bhai, like the look of the pads. also the bat looks good. could you post more pics of that bat. never used a SF bat but have been generally impressed by the pics

i always thought players prefer more grains. but the face looks clean with straight grains.

the bat hasn't been pressed at all. the dents r visible. probably gives the best ping but life is def shortened quite a bit. then again, these players get as many bats as they want unlike u n me who have to pay for each one.

Actually they do prefer more grains bat. This could be there net bat whereas in match they could be using a high grainer bat.

I am not sure if I would say it hasn't been pressed at all. In fact, I would say its not knocked. FOr example, the bats we buy are pressed and if we don't knock it and start using it right away dents do appear.

too flashy for my liking...I really liked the one they just before this one....teal blue?

Are there any websites that let you design uniforms?

^^ i also liked the one before better!
and whatz up the shoes these guys are wearing?? UGLYY

too flashy for my liking...I really liked the one they just before this one....teal blue?

Are there any websites that let you design uniforms?

we designed ours at Kukri Sports. The plugin works on PC's only though.

does nike manufactures cricket bats , balls , helmets , pads , gloves and inner protection stuffs ?

Yes I tried using their website but didn't get too far....what are your plans for next year? Coming to t&D or what?

depends on if a team is for sale or not. we may decide to keep two teams. one in SCA first or premier and then enter another in either EDCL or T&D. How did you guys end up faring?

depends on if a team is for sale or not. we may decide to keep two teams. one in SCA first or premier and then enter another in either EDCL or T&D. How did you guys end up faring?

Don't buy a team that is up for sale...you will end up paying a lot more than what you should be paying....it is not that hard to get in as the league is adding 7 new teams for 2011.

We are also looking to put another team in if we are able to increase our roster to 30 guys - our intention is to have a competitive and a developmental team - not sure if it will all pan out as the cost to run two team is around $10k!!!

We didn't make the playoffs - it was expected considering most of us hadn't played any competitive cricket in a while.

What about your team?

That sounds good. i know its not that hard and expensive to get a team in EDCl. I know a guy (actually Hafiz Sab) in EDCL who is secretary so if you need to talk to him let me know, he will make thing easy. He did help us last year in getting a team registered.

That sounds good. i know its not that hard and expensive to get a team in EDCl. I know a guy (actually Hafiz Sab) in EDCL who is secretary so if you need to talk to him let me know, he will make thing easy. He did help us last year in getting a team registered.

EDCL has nice grounds but all too far for our guys....I would have personally preferred to play in EDCL because of their grounds....much better compared to crappy T&D Grounds.

EDCL has nice grounds but all too far for our guys....I would have personally preferred to play in EDCL because of their grounds....much better compared to crappy T&D Grounds.

I have never seen any T&D ground nor I have played in T&D because it's too far for me:(.

I have never seen any T&D ground nor I have played in T&D because it's too far for me:(.

yaah thats the only issue. T&D has some nice grounds but at the higher leagues. i've been really impressed with EDCL - even the lower divisions use nice grounds. i played in the morning league this year - really enjoyed it. thanks uzair - i may let you know if i need info. the secretary of the league is also a good friend of mine.

yaah thats the only issue. T&D has some nice grounds but at the higher leagues. i've been really impressed with EDCL - even the lower divisions use nice grounds. i played in the morning league this year - really enjoyed it. thanks uzair - i may let you know if i need info. the secretary of the league is also a good friend of mine.
I remember a while ago I heard someone saying that T&D grounds are better than EDCL. Although I never thought that EDCL grounds would be better but I guess since EDCL has fewer grounds compare to T&D (just a guess) so it isn't that hard for City of Brampton to keep them clean. I have been to one or two grounds outside Brampton and they weren't great either.

Oh so you know who I am talking about? Hafiz Sab from Brampton Battalions?

t&d grounds are better at higher divisions. the sandalwood grounds and dixie/407 grounds in edcl are well kept. the astro turf is new and the grass, though a little hard, is always cut - so the ball rolls. and the lower divisions - t&d is bad.

t&d grounds are better at higher divisions. the sandalwood grounds and dixie/407 grounds in edcl are well kept. the astro turf is new and the grass, though a little hard, is always cut - so the ball rolls. and the lower divisions - t&d is bad.

Ah okay.

I am not sure if you have been to Creditview ones they are quite good as well as Brampton Sports Park ones. Actually one of the Sandalwood ground is my current club home ground. In general I would say most of Brampton grounds are well maintained.

Yes T&D lower divisions usually get shafted in terms of better grounds....although we were fortunate enough to get Sunnybrook as our home ground this year - not a fantastic ground but better compared to some of the other grounds like Caledonia etc.

Yes T&D lower divisions usually get shafted in terms of better grounds....although we were fortunate enough to get Sunnybrook as our home ground this year - not a fantastic ground but better compared to some of the other grounds like Caledonia etc.

i agree that buying a team is expensive. lower levels in t&d is not the greatest in terms of grounds. Sunneybrook is ok, but not the greatest. Lamroux in Scarbrough is just as good actually.

so that really leaves us with EDCL - though far away, it seems to be the best option given our situation. otherwise, status quo - as in move into premier sca seems best.

this is probably very off topic - lets talk about equipment. what are you getting for next season? how did you enjoy your GT?

i agree that buying a team is expensive. lower levels in t&d is not the greatest in terms of grounds. Sunneybrook is ok, but not the greatest. Lamroux in Scarbrough is just as good actually.

so that really leaves us with EDCL - though far away, it seems to be the best option given our situation. otherwise, status quo - as in move into premier sca seems best.

this is probably very off topic - lets talk about equipment. what are you getting for next season? how did you enjoy your GT?

Isn't it around $2000 to set up a team?

I remember last year when we had new team setup in EDCL we had to give a check when registering which was of $1850 or $1650 (am not precisely sure) but it was cashed by EDCL in March. So isn't it the same for SCA and T&D as well?

Have anyone seen new Mongoose gloves? They look good and I would say they are not let down like bigger brands such as GN, GM etc

Here you go for those who'd be interested in seeing them

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 439
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 470
registering a new team is not expensive. but that new team is then in the lowest division. if you want to be in a higer division, the only way you can do it is if you buy a team that is for sale. most teams sell for $3-6000 depending on the league/division.

GT was amazing - thanks for selling it to me :)

The best part about that bat was the fact that I didn't even knock it in and I remember you telling me that it will open up more.....anyway, even a defensive push resulted in runs.....my team was drooling over that bat - one thing that I did notice is that you have to be a stroke maker to get the best out of that bat. Sloggers don't seem to have much luck with it.

I may look at adding one more bat to my collection or may be two - don't know which ones yet! Newbery has spoiled me in terms of looking at Pakistani bats - I am going back probably in March/April so will look at bringing back Bubber Sher LE OR CA Extra Power...

The plan is to stop over in England so I will be looking for your expertise to advise as to which places to check out while I am there.

Oh okay I see where you are coming from.

I remember Hafiz Sab team in 5th Division were doing really bad but the league was looking for one or two teams to move to 4th Division so he promoted his team and now they are in Finals.

The best part about that bat was the fact that I didn't even knock it in and I remember you telling me that it will open up more.....anyway, even a defensive push resulted in runs.....my team was drooling over that bat - one thing that I did notice is that you have to be a stroke maker to get the best out of that bat. Sloggers don't seem to have much luck with it.

I may look at adding one more bat to my collection or may be two - don't know which ones yet! Newbery has spoiled me in terms of looking at Pakistani bats - I am going back probably in March/April so will look at bringing back Bubber Sher LE OR CA Extra Power...

The plan is to stop over in England so I will be looking for your expertise to advise as to which places to check out while I am there.

I don't it's only me or others but I tend to find English bats to be for stroke making (mostly) whereas Pakistani bats can be used for slogging regardless which one it is.

Try to get an oval handle MB Malik Bubber Sher LE if you consider to buy that bat.

Isn't it around $2000 to set up a team?

I remember last year when we had new team setup in EDCL we had to give a check when registering which was of $1850 or $1650 (am not precisely sure) but it was cashed by EDCL in March. So isn't it the same for SCA and T&D as well?

It's not the setting up that's costly but all other costs that come with it i.e. balls for the season, umpire fee, uniforms, practices etc.

We just re-did the calculations for 2011 and it is close to $5k by the time it is all said and done..... A lot of teams out there will make a profit from the fees they collect.

Before we entered a team, we used to think that way too i.e. it is only $1500 for the seaon but alas it aint!

registering a new team is not expensive. but that new team is then in the lowest division. if you want to be in a higer division, the only way you can do it is if you buy a team that is for sale. most teams sell for $3-6000 depending on the league/division.

Not that I am questioning your team but not sure why people care so much about starting in the lowest division? If a team is strong enough, they will move up each year.

I still think that the level of cricket played in T&D is far better than all the leagues out there. For example, our team (which has a lot of inexperienced players) beat a Scarborough premier division team twice in friendlies.

Not saying that Scarborough Premier can be compared to T&D 4th division but I do see a big difference between the caliber of cricket played in the two leagues.

Commonwealth is another good example where their Elite teams suffer big time in T&D 2nd division.

It's not the setting up that's costly but all other costs that come with it i.e. balls for the season, umpire fee, uniforms, practices etc.

We just re-did the calculations for 2011 and it is close to $5k by the time it is all said and done..... A lot of teams out there will make a profit from the fees they collect.

Before we entered a team, we used to think that way too i.e. it is only $1500 for the seaon but alas it aint!

Oh okay it make sense. But if you are making a second team then I don't think uniform cost would be much as you don't have to upgrade your uniforms every year. That's just the way I look at things.

How much does a ball cost?

As far umpire fee goes doesn't every player pay $10 before playing each game?

Oh okay it make sense. But if you are making a second team then I don't think uniform cost would be much as you don't have to upgrade your uniforms every year. That's just the way I look at things.

How much does a ball cost?

As far umpire fee goes doesn't every player pay $10 before playing each game?

You are right, uniform shouldn't be upgraded each year....we are separating from our higher division team next year, hence, we have a need to do that but from thereafter, we will be good to go.

Kookaburra balls are anywhere between $40-$55 depending on the type

T&D has made it mandatory to have 2 umpires per game as of this year so the cost has gone up there.

You ask a good question about each player paying $10 before the game....we do not have this practice in our club....other clubs charge $300 for the season plus registration fee of $50+ and on top of that players pay per game too.....our players just pay a fee (we charged $200 this year but that will change in 2011) and that took care of everything....obviously we didn't take a few things into account this year that we have to next year, hence, a slight increase in fees

We just want our guys to focus on the game when they show up as opposed to paying etc.

Last edited:
Not that I am questioning your team but not sure why people care so much about starting in the lowest division? If a team is strong enough, they will move up each year.

I still think that the level of cricket played in T&D is far better than all the leagues out there. For example, our team (which has a lot of inexperienced players) beat a Scarborough premier division team twice in friendlies.

Not saying that Scarborough Premier can be compared to T&D 4th division but I do see a big difference between the caliber of cricket played in the two leagues.

Commonwealth is another good example where their Elite teams suffer big time in T&D 2nd division.

i know where your coming from bro. its not the level of competetion im concerend with. It's being shafted in terms of grounds. my number one motivation to move leagues is to move to better grounds. Even if we do start in Div 4 or 5 & say we dont win the championship, we will be stuck there for awhile. Imagine - if we bought a team in the higher divisions - even if we dont win the champioship (but are not last either) we can maintain the status and continue playing on the grounds.

If this was a brand new team - i would enter 4th divison without hesitation. but we've been playing in sca for 5 years now, i dont want to go through another long wait before getting better grounds.....

i agree absolutely. i had so much faith that my pushes would go for runs that i completely changed my outlook when batting this season. Instead of traditionally looking to go over the top, i loosened my bottom hand and just looked to place deliverys. the middle was brilliant, i picked up singles with ease. In EDCL, i had straight drives and leg glances just ease away for four.

i agree with you that the NB's might not suit sloggers so much - but if the slogger times it well - it will also go :p

and your NB will only get better btw. i wouldnt recommend netting with it though. save it - as you dont want to lose its life in meaningless practice. i've actually got an older kook ice im using as a net bat. The BAS and NB i save for matches (depending on the match situation) :iamlegend

You are right, uniform shouldn't be upgraded each year....we are separating from our higher division team next year, hence, we have a need to do that but from thereafter, we will be good to go.

Kookaburra balls are anywhere between $40-$55 depending on the type

T&D has made it mandatory to have 2 umpires per game as of this year so the cost has gone up there.

You ask a good question about each player paying $10 before the game....we do not have this practice in our club....other clubs charge $300 for the season plus registration fee of $50+ and on top of that players pay per game too.....our players just pay a fee (we charged $200 this year but that will change in 2011) and that took care of everything....obviously we didn't take a few things into account this year that we have to next year, hence, a slight increase in fees

We just want our guys to focus on the game when they show up as opposed to paying etc.

Ah okay.

In my current club if you are a student you pay $150 which includes $50 uniform. And before each gaem you pay $10 which is umpire fee.

thanks for the remakrs majid bhai but am not an expert. as for which bat to get, i would def ask u to go for asian bats at that price range. you can get custom made G1 bats.

majid bhai, like the look of the pads. also the bat looks good. could you post more pics of that bat. never used a SF bat but have been generally impressed by the pics

I rate the SF bat really high. Its an amazing bat. Everything about the bat is just perfect and handle is most amazingly perfectly shaped and feel of the bat is the best. I lightly knocked in the bat & the whole of the bat feels like a sweetspot and pick up is also brilliant for such a big bat. The finish on the bat is the best I've ever seen. Pressing is excellent

Pictures of the SF Saphire bat are on this page
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=82051&page=6

Below is the review I did when i bought the bat.
SF SAPHIRE after using the bat in the nets & outdoor practice. I must say SF SAPHIRE is an unsung hero in the bat makers realm. This bat is awesome.

The appearance of the bat is very nice(classy silver simple chrome graphics). The bat has an immaculate balanced light pickup and solid middle. It has really thick edges & big spine height for relatively light bat. It has a substantial white toeguard and a new style scale grip & it came with a full padded bat cover. The customer service is very very good & I bought it off my frnd Ajit.

Bats made of High Quality Grade 1 English Willow, weights 2lb 11 oz, grains 10 evenly spaced, edges: 35mm, handle is multi-piece cane oval shape handle & absolute best in terms of performance and shock absorbency. The finishing on the bat is the best out of all my bats including some of the English bats I have.

And the rebound is the best & none better I have come across. The final conclusion is that this bats a hidden beauty and a top gun. There aren't too many around. If you can find one, grab it - u wont be disappointment.

Last edited:
i know where your coming from bro. its not the level of competetion im concerend with. It's being shafted in terms of grounds. my number one motivation to move leagues is to move to better grounds. Even if we do start in Div 4 or 5 & say we dont win the championship, we will be stuck there for awhile. Imagine - if we bought a team in the higher divisions - even if we dont win the champioship (but are not last either) we can maintain the status and continue playing on the grounds.

If this was a brand new team - i would enter 4th divison without hesitation. but we've been playing in sca for 5 years now, i dont want to go through another long wait before getting better grounds.....

that's quite a motivation but I see where you are coming from.....grounds wise, EDCL is much better.

So back to the bats, I will give you a shout before I leave.

that's quite a motivation but I see where you are coming from.....grounds wise, EDCL is much better.

So back to the bats, I will give you a shout before I leave.

If you don't mind me asking which bats are you looking to buy in England?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back