[Reports] UAE to be considered as co-host for the ICC Champions Trophy 2025 amidst India's travel concerns and the return of the 'Hybrid Model'

Can Pakistan courts control this, what if somebody files petition , that PCB should not play India on neutral venue for the sake of national interest , after all no matter how unprofessional PCB is, still they are under Pakistan' s constitution.

As they say fool me once, shame on you fool me twice shame on me. However in PCB case this will be fool me thrice +1

Amid Champions Trophy 2025 Row, Pakistan's "Has To Be In Writing" Mandate For BCCI​

The Pakistan Cricket Board wants the BCCI to provide written proof of the Indian government's denial of permission in case the team refuses to come here for next year's Champions Trophy citing a travel ban on security grounds, a PCB source has said. The host Board also wants the matter to be sorted as soon as possible, given that the tournament is scheduled in February-March. While the ICC annual conference will be held in Colombo on July 19 doesn't have any discussion on 'Hybrid Model' about India playing their games in the UAE on its agenda, the global body as usual has earmarked additional fund in case it becomes a two-country tournament.

"If the India government declines permission, it has to be in writing and it is mandatory on the BCCI to provide that letter to the ICC now," the PCB source working closely with organizing committee told PTI.

"It is a fact that the we are insistent that the BCCI must inform the ICC about its travel plans to Pakistan at least 5-6 months before the tournament and in writing," the top PCB source also stated.

The BCCI has always steadfastly maintained that playing cricket in Pakistan is completely a government call and even the 2023 ODI Asia Cup, which was hosted by PCB witnessed India playing all its games in Sri Lanka based on 'Hybrid Model'.

The PCB has already submitted its draft schedule to ICC where all of India's games including a possible semi-final and final have been scheduled in Lahore. The India vs Pakistan marquee match has been scheduled on March 1.

The tournament will start in Karachi on February 19 and conclude with the final in Lahore on March 9. The final will have a reserve day – March 10 – in case of inclement weather. A few matches will be held in Rawalpindi too.

If BCCI sources are to be believed, at this point there is no chance of travelling to Pakistan and knowing fully well, the ICC has allocated additional budget for any exigency plan.

"The ICC Management is recommending additional costs just in case it is necessary to play some matches outside Pakistan if such a situation arises later on," the source confirmed.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I summarised in my earlier post.

The PCB needs to pay high salaries to its loyalty employees and players aka sports politicians. Therefore, the monies are important. And whichever way they come, we will do salaam to it. It's the ground reality.

The tournament will happen in a hybrid mode and monies will be made. They will get then distributed to everyone. Pakistan players will continue to give interviews and say they want to do well for the fans and the awaam. But will surrender an abysmal performance and take the cash in the back-pocket to dissappear into the sunset.

Winning matches is cherry on the top if it happens. Pocketing what comes on the first of each month is the goal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why India begs for games against Pakistan in big events. If they had any shame they would stay out of playing Pakistan completely even in world cups, but them being shameless they pick and choose when they want to be shame and when they don't. Will not play bilateral series because politicians and their Bharti little emotions are involved, but all goes out the window when it comes to major tournaments and whole nation comes to stand still in a game against Pakistan :) . Shameless is the only word that would describe their hypocrisy

Why will we let Pakistan get 2 free points in ICC events? For what reason?

BCCI revenues from 2022 till 2027 without any share of ICC revenues will be in excess of $7bn. Why will they beg for any matches in ICC events?

It's naive to think that Pakistan doesn't hold any bargaining chips. Without a Pakistan-India match, the tournament isn't really financially viable. No organization can run events at a loss consistently. Pakistan can and should threaten with pullouts. Doing the Asia Cup as a hybrid was a wrong decision and sets a precedent. But we all know that the PCB is a compromised organization and will probably bend over when the time comes. Just like how Sethi was showing teeth before Asia Cup but then came on television to tell how he managed to maintain hosting rights for Pakistan and how 4-5 matches in Pakistan were a victory.
Without India-Pakistan match ICC events are unviable financially? Really?

What is the value of the broadcast rights of ICC events for Pakistan territory?

For Indian territory its $3bn.

Also how is IPL and Indian cricket making billions without any involvement of pakistanis.

85 per cent of ICC revenues come from India market. And Indians pay to watch their team.

Yeah this is a key point.

We have seen the lengths they go to make the India-Pakistan match happen in every tournament. The idea of not having one is going to make them uneasy with a tournament that is already looked down upon. Everyone wants a piece of that revenue including the BCCI.

India's role is important but so is Pakistan's.

My guess is Pakistan is going to accept the hybrid model but ask the ICC to foot the bill for those "hybrid" matches in the UAE or SL. This way their profit margin will increase in-house as the burden of hosting is reduced by 5-6 matches.

Of course, if Pakistan just sticks to its guns then respect to them too. They would be right this time around and it will be a neat change from what they usually do.

BCCI will make billions in revenue without ICC share. So they can very well flourish with out ICC revenues.

Broadcasters paid $3bn for the rights of India territory. What makes you think Pakistan is key to making that money? The money coming from Pakistan territory is huge.

Indian territory provides around 85 per cent of ICC revenues. Next are England and Australia. RoW including Pakistan come after that. So how much do you think is Pakistan's contribution?

PCB will agree to a hybrid model because PCB needs that $34mn a year from ICC. No event or a pull out means no money.

At this point, it seems like both Boards are trolling fans by refusing to release an official statement and continuing to talk behind the scenes to media. It's got to come to a head in the next few days though. The meeting on the 19th will force a decision one way or the other and things will have to come out into the open.

If IND was never going to travel to Pak due to political differences why did they force Pak to travel to IND during CWC 2023? This would been acceptable if hybrid model was accepted during CWC 2023.

Also Aus + Eng alone has combined higher GDP than India. The tournament should still be able to produce money.

If Aus plus Eng produce that much revenue for ICC, why does 85 per cent of ICC revenues come from India?

I understand the anger and frustration of pakistani fans. After nearly 30 years they get a tournament and they may have to sacrifice a semi final as well as the final.

If CT 2025 goes ahead without India, i am fine with it. Let PCB and other ICC members handle the financial issues.

Actually England, Australia looks at the bigger picture & put their own financial interests ahead of anything else. They understand their cricket systems wont survive against other sports like football, rugby, AFL without financial support from India ( via tours / IPL )

The only reason that young athletes in Australia / NZ / South Africa choose cricket over rugby / AFL is the lure of a fat IPL contract

South Africa learnt this the hard way when they picked up needless fights under Haroon Lorgat and got into a financial mess. Graeme Smith had to beg BCCI for financial help to stay afloat

Its in the best interests of every board to do what the BCCI wants. Harsh but true. Its unfortunate that Pakistan cannot do so bcoz of political climate but it wud be foolish for other boards to pick up fight with BCCI over Pakistan
Not really.

The English and Australian boards don't need indian money to survive.

That is a delusion.

Sky in the uk and Fox or channel 9 whoever in Aus pay multi millions in broadcasting rights.

The PCB last broadcasting deal alone was in excess of $230 million but it is run poorly.

The ipl is a mutually beneficial for both overseas players and the indians as they get to face and play with the best overseas players to help their own players and the league benefits with more eye balls and financially.

They are definitely not doing it from the kindness of their hearts.

It is is india s best interest to not behave in an arrogant manner and attitude and cut ties with all cricket boards as they will have no one to play with and make money.

Not really.

That is a delusion.

Sky in the uk and Fox or channel 9 whoever in Aus pay multi millions in broadcasting rights.

The PCB last broadcasting deal alone was in excess of $230 million but it is run poorly.

The ipl is a mutually beneficial for both overseas players and the indians as they get to face and play with the best overseas players to help their own players and the league benefits with more eye balls and financially.

It is is india s best interest to not behave in an arrogant manner and attitude and cut ties with all cricket boards as they will have no one to play with and make money.
I think you have the right idea. For the Australian Cricket Board - between 15-25% of their revenues depend on Indian audiences (ICC + India tours + BBL rights sale in India). I think the equation is roughly similar in England. Pakistan and South Africa are the worse off among the big cricket playing nations - depending on the Indian Market for between 30-50% of revenues. New Zealand, West Indies, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka of course really struggle and probably depend to the range to 50-70%.

BCCI is not doing anything unfair. What the Indian Govt. is doing is unfair.
The Indian govt is doing what any political party in India would do. I know Pak posters here dislike current governing party but their favourite Congress too won't dare to send Indian team to Pak if it comes to power in future.

The opposition will get an opportunity to criticize and corner govt from all front. No political party wants to give any opportunity to its rival party.

I think you have the right idea. For the Australian Cricket Board - between 15-25% of their revenues depend on Indian audiences (ICC + India tours + BBL rights sale in India). I think the equation is roughly similar in England. Pakistan and South Africa are the worse off among the big cricket playing nations - depending on the Indian Market for between 30-50% of revenues. New Zealand, West Indies, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka of course really struggle and probably depend to the range to 50-70%.
In a nutshell the cricket community is small and everyone needs to be smart enough to get along and make money.

However we cant have a scenario where 1 board wants to dictate to the rest of the countries as it destroys the ethics of the sport as well as undermines the governing body.

The ICC needs to take strong leadership and do its job and govern the sport.

The Indian govt is doing what any political party in India would do. I know Pak posters here dislike current governing party but their favourite Congress too won't dare to send Indian team to Pak if it comes to power in future.

The opposition will get an opportunity to criticize and corner govt from all front. No political party wants to give any opportunity to its rival party.
If your saying its a political matter and not a cricketing one than the indian cricket board has to be penalised as this is suppose to be sports not politics.

I would say most people know its always been a political and not sporting reasons why the indian boards refuses to send their team to travel to Pakistan.

Its only the ICC who choose to play dumb.

Not really.

That is a delusion.

What's the source of this number brother??
Because Till 2022, PCB's total annual revenue which includes funding from ICC was just about US$30 million. I think there is an additional zero in your post.

In a nutshell the cricket community is small and everyone needs to be smart enough to get along and make money.

However we cant have a scenario where 1 board wants to dictate to the rest of the countries as it destroys the ethics of the sport as well as undermines the governing body.

The ICC needs to take strong leadership and do its job and govern the sport.
I think you have skipped a lot of facts and numbers about the financials floating around in these threads. Please go through them so that some your assumptions are dispelled.

If your saying its a political matter and not a cricketing one than the indian cricket board has to be penalised as this is suppose to be sports not politics.

I would say most people know its always been a political and not sporting reasons why the indian boards refuses to send their team to travel to Pakistan.

Agree.

BCCI should be suspended for political interference (technically).

Agree.

BCCI should be suspended for political interference (technically).
ICC plays dumb with PCB ,BCB and SLC as well where they allow political interference.
PCB chairmans are completely political lol they don’t even wait for government change completely.

I feel Dejavu seeing all these conversations and comments..first thing I want to clear is an ICC tournament without India is equivalent to a suicide..It will be a huge financial loss to the ICC and PCB.. hence I think there is least probability of playing CT without India..Also, PCB will be content for Hybrid model,as they will still earn shared profit by hosting India matches in UAE, only thing is the profit margin will be lesser..The maximum negotiation they can do is having all group matches and a semi match in pakistan that India is not part of. It would be more than the no of matches it hosted during Asia Cup and hence will be a good deal.. Regarding Pakistan not travelling to India for WCs, neither BCCI nor ICC going to give a damn, considering the percentage of loss is not significant compared to the profit to be earned by conducting a whole tournament in India..The last T20 wc just had one Ind vs Pak match and pak was out of the tournament for the most part..Also they know pak/PCB cannot afford to forfeit a whole tournament in India as they will loose the ICC money which will be a financial burdeb..and the won't be able to pay their players..So only thing Pakistan can focus is to win the upcoming ICC tournaments and increase its stocks..till then you may hear lot of chest thumping statements from PCB folks but ultimately inevitable would happen and hence brace for it..

Penalty can't be applied if BCCI had already added a condition of govt approval for participation. I am not aware if the clause is there but I believe BCCI must have done the due diligence.

About ICC being dumb, I don't think so. BCCI has maintained its stance for almost 10+ years now and all the parties involved know it. PCB knows when it applies for hosting, ICC knows when it gives the hosting rights, other boards know it, fans know it.
They know at the end something like hybrid model will work out and all will be happy. Till then everyone plays to the gallery.

Just like how Eng were Penalized for not playing Zim in 2003WC or Aus in SL or Pak refusing to tour India in early 90s etc ......

Its quite hilarious to see Pakistanis trying to claim moral highground on this topic when everyone knows what they would do if they were in BCCIs position

What's the source of this number brother??
Because Till 2022, PCB's total annual revenue which includes funding from ICC was just about US$30 million. I think there is an additional zero in your post.
There was an article a while back that quoted these figures I believe. If I have time I will link it but feel free to check.

Just like how Eng were Penalized for not playing Zim in 2003WC or Aus in SL or Pak refusing to tour India in early 90s etc ......

Its quite hilarious to see Pakistanis trying to claim moral highground on this topic when everyone and their dog knows what they would do if they were in BCCIs position
Pakistani politics and Pakistani s in general don't carry the same hostility as seen across the border.

Political hostility towards india doesn't win elections or public support in Pakistan but it does vice versa.

I believe your analysis is wrong.

Pakistani politics and Pakistani s in general don't carry the same hostility as seen across the border.

Political hostility towards india doesn't win elections or public support in Pakistan but it does vice versa.

I believe your analysis is wrong.
I'm not sure you understand your own country. The hostility towards India seems to be more a base scenario in Pakistani politics rather than a distinguishing factor between parties. Which is why it probably doesn't serve as a election vote-winner.

I remember in March 2021, under urgent need, there was a decision by the Pakistan Economic board to allow import of a couple of commodities from India. Within a day, the Prime minister had overruled the decisions saying Trade with India was impossible. At the very least, the Indian government has used the fig leaf of security considerations to deny the Indian cricket team permission to travel. Pakistan just says contact with India is impossible except in cricket.

I want pak to make a stand. Respect is more important than anything.

Even if it means there won't be a PCB tomorrow, PCB should stand tall in front of BCCI.... Just like a cornered tiger would do!

Not like those U turn from those imran though, but an actual stand of a CORNERED TIGER and EARN THE RESPECT OF THE COUNTRYMEN.

that'll Teach BCCI who's the boss!

The Pakistan Cricket Board wants clarity from BCCI about their plans for the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy which is scheduled to be held in Pakistan next year in February-March. Speculations are rife that India won't travel to Pakistan to play in the Champions Trophy and pushing ICC to adopt the hybrid model which the Asian Cricket Council implemented last year for the Asia Cup.

According to a PCB source, the board wants the BCCI to provide written proof of the Indian government's denial of permission to travel to Pakistan for next year's Champions Trophy, citing a travel ban on security grounds.

The ICC will hold its annual conference on July 19 in Colombo, but the 'Hybrid Model' regarding India playing their Champions Trophy matches in the UAE is not a topic of discussion. As usual, the ICC has earmarked additional funds in case it becomes a two-country tournament.

"If the India government declines permission, it has to be in writing and it is mandatory on the BCCI to provide that letter to the ICC now," the PCB source working closely with organizing committee told PTI.

"It is a fact that we are insistent that the BCCI must inform the ICC about its travel plans to Pakistan at least 5-6 months before the tournament and in writing," the top PCB source also stated.

The BCCI has shown a firm stand that the reason behind travelling to Pakistan to play cricket is completely a government call. Last year, India also denied travelling to the neighbouring nation for the Asia Cup and played all their matches in Sri Lanka, including the final.

Meanwhile, the PCB has already submitted its draft schedule to ICC, keeping India games in mind. In the draft schedule, India are scheduled to play off their matches in Lahore, including a possible semi-final and final. The India vs Pakistan marquee match has been scheduled on March 1.

Source: Hindustan Times

Yes this is one case where Pakistan is more in the wrong. Pakistan doesn't want any contact with India EXCEPT cricket (and a couple of other sports) and considers it a major insult that India doesn't agree with this exact approach.

Cricket is only a small symptom of a wider problem between the two countries and since it's Pakistan who banned all contact with India - trade, people to people contact, cultural exchange etc., it behoves them to make the first move - maybe trade? If India doesn't reciprocate, sure I'll agree India is more to blame.
why would India need to reciprocate? Pakistan did what is right for their national interest. Good for them and as a sovereign nation they have every right to do it. India will do whatever is in its own national interest. India will take steps to normalize ties with Pakistan when it suits them. Pakistan should do exactly that.

Not really.

That is a delusion.

Please post a proper source that PCB actually had a deal of $230mn.

ECB and CA have said quiet a few times that they run revenue surplus only during the years that Ashes or India series take place.

The deal to broadcast Indian team tours to Australia and England by an Indian broadcaster is highly paid for.

Not really.

That is a delusion.

PCB's 200mn deal fell through.

Read the last two pages.

I'm not sure you understand your own country. The hostility towards India seems to be more a base scenario in Pakistani politics rather than a distinguishing factor between parties. Which is why it probably doesn't serve as a election vote-winner.

I remember in March 2021, under urgent need, there was a decision by the Pakistan Economic board to allow import of a couple of commodities from India. Within a day, the Prime minister had overruled the decisions saying Trade with India was impossible. At the very least, the Indian government has used the fig leaf of security considerations to deny the Indian cricket team permission to travel. Pakistan just says contact with India is impossible except in cricket.
The Kartarpur corridor is an example of how Pakistan welcomes its neighbours.

You conveniently left out the Pakistani people in general don't have hostility towards their indian counterparts like the indians do.

You don't seem to understand your country functions on the hate of others which always consumes you as a nation in the end.

Your "security fig tree line" is baseless when other nations have toured successfully.

If anything the safety of Pakistani players is always at risk in india with a large contingency of hinduvta right wing far right ideologists in the country that attack their own citizens and a track record for digging up pitches.

They were initiated by greedy politicians who serve their personal interests as well as the colonial masters orders.

You are probably living on mars and don't understand the reality at play.
I've seen enough pper to conclude the opposite. It's not only politician but common people too.

Or should we count those from UK as outsiders too?

You conveniently left out the Pakistani people in general don't have hostility towards their indian counterparts like the indians do.

You don't seem to understand your country functions on the hate of others which always consumes you as a nation in the end.

Your "security fig tree line" is baseless when other nations have toured successfully.

If anything the safety of Pakistani players is always at risk in india with a large contingency of hinduvta right wing far right ideologists in the country that attack their own citizens and a track record for digging up pitches.
Fantastic argument. This will convince BCCI to let Indian cricket team to travel to Pak.

Money will eventually talk. PCB will realize that without India's participation in the 2025 CT, the venture will be a loss making exercise for the PCB. PCB will eventually relent and accept a hybrid model for India's games in the UAE as a face saving measure in exchange for Pakistan's 2026 T-20 WC games being held in Sri Lanka.

The govt of Pakistan is not in any position to reimburse the PCB for any losses.

BCCI will make billions in revenue without ICC share. So they can very well flourish with out ICC revenues.

Broadcasters paid $3bn for the rights of India territory. What makes you think Pakistan is key to making that money? The money coming from Pakistan territory is huge.

Indian territory provides around 85 per cent of ICC revenues. Next are England and Australia. RoW including Pakistan come after that. So how much do you think is Pakistan's contribution?

PCB will agree to a hybrid model because PCB needs that $34mn a year from ICC. No event or a pull out means no money.

Of course and no one is suggesting otherwise.

India can just do the IPL and sustain itself.

But the BCCI does not hate making money. The broadcaster giving them $3 billion also doesn't hate making money. Those guys don't sign deals because they love India. They want those India-Pakistan games and suggesting otherwise goes against the reality of what we see unfold at ICC tournaments and the Asia Cup.

The highest insurance on a single match is the India-Pakistan game by Star Sports. They know where the money is.

Pakistan is key to making optimal money and maximizing profits at a tournament level. You can host a La Liga season without the El Clasico, but that doesn't mean you will make the most money. Those games are factored into the billion-dollar broadcasting deals.

India could have raked in even more money had they added a bilateral series or two with Pakistan into the contract. They are already dealing with a sub-optimal deal if you think about it.

Yes, Pakistan needs it more than India financially. This is unquestionable. But for other reasons too. I can guarantee Pakistan wants to host a complete ICC tournament more. It will be a big step forward for them since it's been almost 30 years.

India could have raked in even more money had they added a bilateral series or two with Pakistan into the contract. They are already dealing with a sub-optimal deal if you think about it.

And since thats not happened in 12 yrs ... it should tell you what is the bigger priority and who calls the shots in India. Hint: its not bcci.

To their credit bcci did not put all eggs in one basket and have diversified like a true corporation ... which is why they no longer worry about things beyond their Control.

And its not like playing Pakistan will double their revenues. They make good money playing other 2 big countries.

Pakistan will have to agree in the end. PCB should do everything till the last moment to not let that happen though but as we know what happened last time, this time might not be different as well.

Kartarpur Corridor has another political angle of Khalistan that Pakistan tends to exploit bhai, but thats for different thread.

Even Pakistani cricketers and PCB don't share your views about safety in India as they have toured and played in India.

I believe the best Pakistan can get out of it is some bargaining chips for the future, or atleast have that illusion for a while.

Pakistanis should understand that the level of competition between Pakistan and India in every department has escalated to the point where there is realistically no comparison left between the two states. India has blossomed remarkably over the last two decades, while Pakistan has been sinking, except for a few years (2013-16) when we seemed to be progressing as a proper country. The PCB (or any other cricket board) cannot compete with the BCCI, which is indirectly the governing body of cricket globally, as they contribute 70% of the profits from Indian brands and sponsors to the ICC. They are a big market and now control cricket.

The PCB needs to act smartly. Using a hybrid model for the Asia Cup last year was the most foolish decision I have ever seen taken by the hosting country of an event. Playing only 2-3 matches in the hosting country and the rest at a neutral venue, without even printing the hosting country’s name on the players’ kits, sparked the way for the BCCI to adopt the hybrid model as a viable alternative.

I believe that whatever the PCB does, India will not come to Pakistan unless there are governmental ties between the two countries. The PCB has to accept the BCCI’s dictates if it wants to survive.

I agree with the above comment, India won't go to Pakistan until there is democratic government in Pakistan. As long as Pak army are in power, India will never visit.

I feel sad for Pakistan fans, but you have to accept the reality ICC will do exactly what BCCI wants.

PCB's best chance was last year during 2023 World Cup when they could have bargained with the ICC to schedule their matches outside India.

Most Pakistan can do now is accept the hybrid model for Champions Trophy 2025 & play their World T20 2026 & World Cup 2031 both scheduled in India outside India. Btw Champions Trophy 2029 will be played in India too.

Of course and no one is suggesting otherwise.

India can just do the IPL and sustain itself.

But the BCCI does not hate making money. The broadcaster giving them $3 billion also doesn't hate making money. Those guys don't sign deals because they love India. They want those India-Pakistan games and suggesting otherwise goes against the reality of what we see unfold at ICC tournaments and the Asia Cup.

The highest insurance on a single match is the India-Pakistan game by Star Sports. They know where the money is.

Pakistan is key to making optimal money and maximizing profits at a tournament level. You can host a La Liga season without the El Clasico, but that doesn't mean you will make the most money. Those games are factored into the billion-dollar broadcasting deals.

Yes, Pakistan needs it more than India financially. This is unquestionable. But for other reasons too. I can guarantee Pakistan wants to host a complete ICC tournament more. It will be a big step forward for them since it's been almost 30 years.

Broadcasters give much more to the BCCI for its IPL and home matches around $7bn for 5 years than it gives to ICC. And no Pakistani is involved in the IPL or BCCI home tours.

The target of the broadcaster who paid $3bn to the ICC for the rights is the Indian audience. They will pay the money as long as India plays the tournament and there are enough competitive teams to play against.

In a match there are two teams. If one of the teams is India it automatically guarantees huge revenues.

The days of BCCI needing Pakistan team to rake in the moolah are long gone. BCCI rights are now sold on per match basis rates. The current rate is INR67.76 cr per match thats around 8mn USD per match. BCCI gets paid as long as Indian team plays the match. There is no extra pay for Pakistan or lesser pay for SA.

The entire scenario has changed and PCB and pakistanis are still stuck with the idea that India Pakistan matches are required to generate revenues.

Revenue comes from India and as long as Indian team is playing revenue will come. Indians will pay to watch their team.

It's naive to think that Pakistan doesn't hold any bargaining chips. Without a Pakistan-India match, the tournament isn't really financially viable. No organization can run events at a loss consistently. Pakistan can and should threaten with pullouts. Doing the Asia Cup as a hybrid was a wrong decision and sets a precedent. But we all know that the PCB is a compromised organization and will probably bend over when the time comes. Just like how Sethi was showing teeth before Asia Cup but then came on television to tell how he managed to maintain hosting rights for Pakistan and how 4-5 matches in Pakistan were a victory.
The only way to test this will be PCB backing out of ICC and letting the market decide the resultant fallout.

However if recent evidence is anything, I am not sure it is going to be a massive dent to the revenues of ICC.

The Indian market, if the recent gargantuan IPL and India cricket rights are anything to go by (neither feature any Pak players or matches), have clearly moved past Pak cricket. Yes it is fun to see Indo Pak face offs in World Cups and Asia Cups but I don't think the average Indian / Global fan is holding his or her breath for that encounter.

The chief reason for that is how badly Pakistan cricket team has gone off rails in the last decade or so. Fans love encounters between teams of equal strengths. A reason why Ind-Aus and Ind-Eng encounters get so much eye balls these days.

So, if Pakistan fans wish their board to be respected as much as they'd like to at the ICC high table, their national team needs to demonstrate their cricketing prowess - not one offs like CT 17 but repeated series wins vs Aus and Eng at home and strong performances away Real power comes from sustained cricketing performances which will have a domino effect on everything else including broadcasting rights.

What is the position of Pakistan government or Pakistani corporates? Will they help PCB offset the loss?

BCCI was able to bring the WC to India in 1987 because Reliance industries offered to give $5mn in sponsorship.

Prudential had paid £600k for the sponsorship in 1983.

So unless some pakistani corporates are willing to help PCB without the intention of profits, PCB will not be in a great position financially.

I agree with the above comment, India won't go to Pakistan until there is democratic government in Pakistan. As long as Pak army are in power, India will never visit.

I feel sad for Pakistan fans, but you have to accept the reality ICC will do exactly what BCCI wants.

PCB's best chance was last year during 2023 World Cup when they could have bargained with the ICC to schedule their matches outside India.

Most Pakistan can do now is accept the hybrid model for Champions Trophy 2025 & play their World T20 2026 & World Cup 2031 both scheduled in India outside India. Btw Champions Trophy 2029 will be played in India too.
Yes, that is the root cause of all problems in Pakistan: the army. Even if Pakistan had a weak political government making decisions, India would never have boycotted Pakistan. It is purely because of the Pakistani army that Pakistan is in this weak state.

I see that the BJP-led Indian government will never build any type of relationship with a Pakistani government headed directly or indirectly by the Pakistani army. They want to see a purely civilian government in place in Pakistan in order to initiate any relations, which will not happen anytime soon. Only two things can change the situation: the creation of a civilian government in Pakistan or a Congress-led government in India.

The BCCI can't do anything; even if they want to send a team to Pakistan, they will be stopped by the Indian government.

What is the position of Pakistan government or Pakistani corporates? Will they help PCB offset the loss?

BCCI was able to bring the WC to India in 1987 because Reliance industries offered to give $5mn in sponsorship.

So unless some pakistani corporates are willing to help PCB without the intention of profits, PCB will not be in a great position financially.
Can you expect anything from them?

This thread should be free from any political stuff. Stay on cricket

So unless some pakistani corporates are willing to help PCB without the intention of profits, PCB will not be in a great position
Tangential but India were able to successfully lobby the world cup only because it agreed to share hosting it with Pakistan. This was a reluctant compromise by Salve in 1985. The initial plan was to award it to India solely but PCB made it clear that it would vote against such a move and would also influence other boards to vote against India (Source - Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi, former India Captain).

Pakistan was on much better terms than India with the Anglosphere as it was leaned more towards the US than India which was considered a socialist leaning one back in those days of the cold War.

Ironically the shoe is on the other foot now.

Tangential but India were able to successfully lobby the world cup only because it agreed to share hosting it with Pakistan. This was a reluctant compromise by Salve in 1985. The initial plan was to award it to India solely but PCB made it clear that it would vote against such a move and would also influence other boards to vote against India (Source - Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi, former India Captain).

Pakistan was on much better terms than India with the Anglosphere as it was leaned more towards the US than India which was considered a socialist leaning one back in those days of the cold War.

Ironically the shoe is on the other foot now.

Actually No. That's not the story.

India had actually asked to host 1983 WC. It was denied. India and Pakistan then jointly wanted to host the 1983 WC. This time it was denied saying that 60 overs each isn't possible in the subcontinent day light.

1983 WC happened. India reached the Finals. BCCI president and powerful Maharashtra politician NKP Salve reached london with his wife. Siddhartha Shankar Ray, ex CM of West Bengal, Union education minister and at that point India's top lawyer and Indira Gandhi's go to man on law also was in London. He requested Salve to arrange passes or even paid tickets for him and his wife.

The organisers only gave two passes to Salve and despite repeated requests from BCCI refused any passes or tickets.

After the win Salve returns to India and asks Dalmiya to any how host the next WC in India. He was so miffed with the behaviour of the English that he was determined to get the hosting rights.

In the next ICC meeting, BCCI armed with Reliance's 5mn sponsorship and led by the cunning Dalmiya offered all the 8 participants 250k USD as participation fee. Pakistan board led by AM Malik Nur Khan were strongly in the BCCI corner.

It swung the deal, rules were changed to 50 overs a side.

India had actually asked to host 1983 WC. It was denied. India and Pakistan then jointly wanted to host the 1983 WC. This time it was denied saying that 60 overs each isn't possible in the subcontinent day light.

1983 WC happened. India reached the Finals. BCCI president and powerful Maharashtra politician NKP Salve reached london with his wife. Siddhartha Shankar Ray, ex CM of West Bengal, Union education minister and at that point India's top lawyer and Indira Gandhi's go to man on law also was in London. He requested Salve to arrange passes or even paid tickets for him and his wife.

The organisers only gave two passes to Salve and despite repeated requests from BCCI refused any passes or tickets.

After the win Salve returns to India and asks Dalmiya to any how host the next WC in India. He was so miffed with the behaviour of the English that he was determined to get the hosting rights.

In the next ICC meeting, BCCI armed with Reliance's 5mn sponsorship and led by the cunning Dalmiya offered all the 8 participants 250k USD as participation fee. Pakistan board led by AM Malik Nur Khan were strongly in the BCCI corner.

I worked with Harish Salve for a while...he was representing us in a Sales Tax case against the Haryana government. I asked him about this story about his dad. He laughed and told me his dad told this story every time in a different way and he himself was not sure about the exact sequence of events. This was back in 2008 or so.

Kartarpur Corridor has another political angle of Khalistan that Pakistan tends to exploit bhai, but thats for different thread.

Even Pakistani cricketers and PCB don't share your views about safety in India as they have toured and played in India.
During the recent ICC event hosted by india, Pakistani supporters were refused visa s as well as journalists so lets not go there.

With regards to the players they followed the protocol of the PCB who got assurances from the ICC and indian cricket board regarding their safety.

Here's the original 1985 write up by the great man. It's unlikely that he'd have no idea about these first hand. The stories of collaboration might have been retrofitted to fit reputations.

1000200200.jpg

During the recent ICC event hosted by india, Pakistani supporters were refused visa s as well as journalists so lets not go there.

With regards to the players they followed the protocol of the PCB who got assurances from the ICC and indian cricket board regarding their safety.
That's not really the point is it? You made a hyperbolic statement about player safety, I gave you the fact back.
Now if are going to be talking about Visa issues for supporters, that hardly a topic of the thread.
Rest of your previous post was also unrelated to cricket and hence I didnt want to divert the thread.

People dislike and detest the far right hinduvta and their ideology which stems from Hitler and has been preached by modi as his dream of an all hindu state.

You would be deluded and delusional that all other minorities living in the country would accept that.

Social media has shown how most indians and Pakistani s get on with each other and their is a massive craze amongst indians for Pakistani music which is trending.

There have been many Raw agents caught operating in Pakistan countless times.

There are many things that could be said but with this being a cricket forum its wise to stick to cricket.
Calling someone evil, just plug in some association with Hitler. Point proved. :facepalm:
Almost anyone can be associated with Nazis and Hitler in that sense.
Anti-smoking campaign was actually started by the Nazis, So all the anti-tobacco steps have their roots in Nazism. :hamster:

Baaki sab one sided narratives, with equal evidences, if not more, on this side of the border.

That's not really the point is it? You made a hyperbolic statement about player safety, I gave you the fact back.
Now if are going to be talking about Visa issues for supporters, that hardly a topic of the thread.
Rest of your previous post was also unrelated to cricket and hence I didnt want to divert the thread.
Actually all of my posts are cricket focussed but sometimes intertwined with politics when the real reason india doesn't travel to Pakistan is brought up.

Its an open secret that india have stated on many occasions that they don't want Pakistan to make money or for the PCB to remain as an entity.

Actually all of my posts are cricket focussed but sometimes intertwined with politics when the real reason india doesn't travel to Pakistan is brought up.

Its an open secret that india have stated on many occasions that they don't want Pakistan to make money or for the PCB to remain as an entity.
True. It's also an open secret that Pakistan have stated that they don't want Indian manufacturers or Indian moviemakers to make money and won't allow them to sell in Pakistan.

I don't know why you think it's a secret that both countries dislike each other and are doing everything they can short of actual open hostilities to hurt the other. India has bigger and has more capacity to hurt the PCB and other Pakistani institutions which is what I guess is upsetting you.

yes like Indian movies or products not being allowed to sell in Pakistan..

True. It's also an open secret that Pakistan have stated that they don't want Indian manufacturers or Indian moviemakers to make money and won't allow them to sell in Pakistan.

I don't know why you think it's a secret that both countries dislike each other and are doing everything they can short of actual open hostilities to hurt the other. India has bigger and has more capacity to hurt the PCB and other Pakistani institutions which is what I guess is upsetting you.
What I find funny is the level of insecurity and sensitivity by the denial of facts that have been openly stated by the indian cricket board.

I know your fond of facts so this one is for you.

====

1. Dug the Wankhede strip in October 1991: The members of Shiv Sena, who are also known as the Shiv Sainiks, dug up the Wankhede Stadium strip in Mumbai in order to prevent Pakistan from playing in the city. Not only the Mumbai Test, but the entire series got cancelled in the aftermath of the incident.

2. Got the possible India-Pakistan Test in Mumbai cancelled in 1998: In the year 1998, when the Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP)–Shiv Sena coalition government ruled the Indian state of Maharashtra, the latter flexed its muscle to get a possible India-Pakistan Test to be played in January 1999 in Mumbai cancelled. The BJP was unhappy with the development and its leader, the late Gopinath Munde, who was the then Deputy Chief Minister of the state, also expressed his displeasure. But the Chief Minister Manohar Joshi, who belonged to Shiv Sena, cancelled the match at the behest of his party supremo Balasaheb Thackeray.

3. Dug the Ferozshah Kotla pitch in 1999: The Shiv Sainiks dug up the pitch of the Ferozshah Kotla Stadium in Delhi ahead of Pakistan’s cricket tour of 1999. The incident came after the party had protested a Test match in Mumbai and had eventually got it cancelled. The BCCI and the local administration however decided to go ahead with the Delhi Test. The party later threatened that they would release venomous snakes in the outfield during the match. Taking precautions, the BCCI beefed up the security by unleashing a group of twenty-odd best snake-charmers of Delhi inside the Stadium. The match was eventually conducted in a smooth manner and is best remembered for former Indian spinner Anil Kumble’s record 10-wicket haul in the second innings.

4. Damaged India’s 1983 World Cup Trophy in 1999: The Shiv Sainiks vandalised BCCI’s office at Churchgate in Mumbai and damaged Indian cricket team’s 1983 World Cup Trophy. Also Read: Shiv Sena storms into BCCI office, protests against India vs Pakistan series: Twitter reactions

5. Damaged cricket pitch in Agra in 2003: In December 2003, Shiv Sena activists damaged the cricket pitch of the Agra Sports Stadium, the venue for the veterans’ match on December 24 between India and Pakistan.

6. Vowed to stop Pakistan’s proposed tour to India in 2005: In April 2005, Shiv Sena protested the proposed tour of the Pakistani cricket team to India. The party staged a sit-in in Mumbai and vowed not to allow the matches to be played anywhere in the country.

7. Protested India-Pakistan ODI in 2005: In April 2005, Bharatiya Vidyarthi Sena, the student wing of Shiv Sena, attempted to prevent the India-Pakistan One-Day International (ODI) match being held in New Delhi. Also Read: India-Pakistan cricket talks cancelled after Shiv Sena attack BCCI office in Mumbai

8. Threatened to disrupt Pakistan’s games in ICC Champions Trophy in 2006: After the Mumbai serial train blasts in July 2006, Shiv Sena warned that it will stage protests and disrupt the ICC Champions Trophy matches featuring Pakistan in Jaipur and Mohali. The protest came in the wake of Pakistani intelligence agency ISI’s alleged involvement in the bombings.

9. Opposed participation of Pakistani players in the IPL in 2009: Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray in 2009 demanded that no Pakistani player should be permitted to play in the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2. His statement came after the 26/11 terror attacks in Mumbai. Since then, the Pakistani players haven’t been allowed to participate in the cash-rich tournament.

10. Targeted Shah Rukh Khan in 2010: In 2010, the right-wing party targeted Bollywood actor and superstar Shah Rukh Khan for speaking against exclusion of Pakistani cricketers in the IPL. The party even threatened to disrupt screenings of his movie My Name is Khan.

11. Claimed the right to allow Pakistan play the final of World Cup 2011 in Mumbai: In 2011, the party issued a threat claiming the right to decide whether or not to allow Pakistan to play the final of the ICC World Cup 2011 scheduled to be played in Mumbai, if at all it makes it to the final. Also Read: ICC: Cricket should not be mixed with politics

12. Criticised Pakistan’s short tour to India in 2012: Shiv Sena strongly criticised the BCCI decision to invite Pakistan for a limited-overs series in December 2012. It maintained that it won’t allow the team to play in Mumbai. The BCCI avoided any unwanted situation by not scheduling any match in Mumbai.

What I find funny is the level of insecurity and sensitivity by the denial of facts that have been openly stated by the indian cricket board.
Yes you're right that both countries are being pretty immature and petty.

India is convinced that playing a ICC tournament match or two every 3-4 years in Pakistan will somehow enrich the Pakistani board and enable them to have extra money to send guns to terrorists to Kashmir.

Pakistan is convinced that letting a few Indian movies release in Pakistan will corrupt the Pakistani population and earn the Indian government enough money to ruthlessly oppress Kashmiris and support Balochistan separatists.

I don't see an Indians denying the reality of the Indian government policy though. I doubt there's an Eskimo living in Antarctica who isn't aware that Indian and Pakistan are hostile nations who want nothing to do with each other.

For some reason, folks on this board want an exception to be made for cricket. I'm fine with that but it's got to be part of a wider thaw in relations. Can't be a standalone thing. You can't blame the Indian government for doing everything in it's power to continue the hostility in the meanwhile. After all, Pakistan is doing the same thing.

To gauge the actual reality , PCB should technically replace India with SL. Inform the media rights are going to be renegotiated. Get a new quote from broadcasters citing India is ''unavailable''. Compare the figures with India in the fray and without India in it. Check the financial feasibility and then either stick to the principle and host trophy in Pakistan only.
Or just accept hybrid model if the figures are very different ;)

I dont see any reason why people are discussing all this, we all know what is going to happen. If you think of anything else, then you are living in denial.

It helps to accept certain things, nothing good comes by going against it.

I dont see any reason why people are discussing all this, we all know what is going to happen. If you think of anything else, then you are living in denial.

It helps to accept certain things, nothing good comes by going against it.

Current status quo needs to change. ICC should be the one that calls all the shots. Not BCCI.

Arranging a hybrid model for one team is simply absurd.

I honestly think a movie on this might make even more sense than 1983, MS Dhoni etc.

Getting the World Cup out of England was a major G move my the BCCO and changed cricket forever.

I honestly think a movie on this might make even more sense than 1983, MS Dhoni etc.

Getting the World Cup out of England was a major G move my the BCCO and changed cricket forever.

Every single ICC event that took place in England was a box office one. 1975 WC, 1979 WC, 1983 WC, 1999 WC, 2004 CT, 2009 World T20, 2013 CT, 2017 CT, 2019 WC, and the 2 WTC finals.

Giving power to BCCI changed cricket and not in a good way.

Why is it in the national interest to not play a tournament in Pakistan? What does India gain from this exactly?

On the contrary BCCI keeping honor of PCB … just imagine in CT25 Pak lost in 1st round or lost to any weak team like they lost to USA.. congress hat will b the ppls reaction, they will do riots and not allowed tournament to continue

Back