Should Younis Khan retire from international cricket?

pak.cricket

Debutant
Runs
I think he should retire because he cannot Play on bouncy tracks.He is good Just on slow [emoji35] tracks

Sent from my RHYTHM RX45 using Tapatalk

Hate to admit that I was wrong about younus khan , his reflexes are gone and he should definitely retire.

A couple of poor innings and the knives are out :)

No need for him to retire yet.

Unfortunately, yes.

An ATG who is still very fit, but his technique has unraveled as he has lost his hand-eye coordination to Father Time.

He is destroying his legacy - people will remember the scratchy geriatric batsman, the drunken giraffe, and forget how good he was.

Thought he would struggle on this tour and the retirement thing is upto him. Ideally he would because Australia will cause him problems so no point in carrying a 38 year old batter

He was also jumping when he dropped that catch.
Hes got springs in his shoes.

After the tour.
Him Misbah and Hafeez deserve this tour to be eased out

He will still rack up the hundreds in UAE.

Besides he has already announced he wants 10,000 runs and he is not retiring before that you can bet on that. He will create a ruckus in the media if anyone gets in his way.

I hope he doesn't make 10000 test runs a selfish mission. It's patently obvious that his reflexes have given up the ghost

He deserves a home series, a test great.

If he retires, it will be the end of an era for Pakistan team and fans. I remember those times, Younus, Afridi, Yousuf, Inzi, Abdul Razzak, in a test match, worth being stuck in front of the TV for

As expected the wrist slitters are out again

Told you he will fail. He deserves this humiliation.

Was never a special batsman outside the Sub continent and UAE. His poor technique is only catching up on him now.

He will still rack up the hundreds in UAE.

Besides he has already announced he wants 10,000 runs and he is not retiring before that you can bet on that. He will create a ruckus in the media if anyone gets in his way.

Only two tests in the next 2 years in uae. Doesn't help.

We cannot sustain to players with a combined age of 100, I'd rather misbah stay on

Three now , its the manner of his stay at the crease which is more worrying than the failures itself. He just can't cope with bounce anymore.

Looks simply awful at the crease. Like a cat on a hot tin roof. Seems like a different player to the Khan of old.

With respect, I disagree.

He is very fit and still trains incredibly thoroughly, as you have observed.

But his technique is all over the place because he has lost his hand-eye coordination, and nothing will bring that back.

It was already obvious in the UAE six months ago, but the lack of bounce and lateral movement kept his career on life support.

But it only gets harder this year.

Yes, there are three easy Tests v West Indies, but then there will be Boult, Southee, Pattinson, Starc and Hazelwood.

It would be incredibly selfish to fill his boots against the West Indies, then throw a debutant Babar Azam or Saud Shakeel to the wolves Down Under.

He is too selfish to retire. Needs to be given marching orders.

He is clearly struggling. I don't understand what has brought this on?

With Immediate Effect !! [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] I was wrong about your opinion earlier mate... Can clearly see now that YK is too old to continue in test cricket. His reflexes are gone so he should gracefully go out instead of dragging and making a mockery of his legacy.

Nevertheless he has been a great servant of Pakistani cricket for the last one and half decade and was a gun test player in his prime. A Pakistani great and one of the better batsmen we have produced since the turn of the century.

Last edited:
More than his batting I think his struggles in the slips have really given it away that his reflexes have gone. This could be the last tour for YK if he doesn't manage to score in the coming matches. Probably need to take him out of the slip cordon too.

Yes but that's because it's pretty much guaranteed that he is going to be all over the place in England/Australia

overrated player!!! his days are numbered if he keeps on failing on this tour i dont think he will go to aus

That's the monumental difference between Pakistanis and Indian fans, it's huge . Indians know how to show respect and keep faith on veterans and experienced. That's why Kapil, Sachin, Dravid, Gavaskar, Laxman, Kumble, Harbhajan, Venksarkar, Shehwag, Gangully all had long test carrier and all of them played more than 100 tests.They also went through bad patches but they were given time with assurance and faith by their board and fans. Whereas Pakistanis show impatience after one bad test or series and bring out knives to axe him. That's why you won't find more than 3 or 4 Pak players who have played more than 100 tests.

That's the monumental difference between Pakistanis and Indian fans, it's huge . Indians know how to show respect and keep faith on veterans and experienced. That's why Kapil, Sachin, Dravid, Gavaskar, Laxman, Kumble, Harbhajan, Venksarkar, Shehwag, Gangully all had long test carrier and all of them played more than 100 tests.They also went through bad patches but they were given time with assurance and faith by their board and fans. Whereas Pakistanis show impatience after one bad test or series and bring out knives to axe him. That's why you won't find more than 3 or 4 Pak players who have played more than 100 tests.

That's not true. Afridi's long career is a testament to this fact.

Two failures in his last god knows how many tests and people are out with their ice picks taking digs at his back. He is so good that anything below 100 or 50 is seen as a failure now

With Immediate Effect !! [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] I was wrong about your opinion earlier mate... Can clearly see now that YK is too old to continue in test cricket. His reflexes are gone so he should gracefully go out instead of dragging and making a mockery of his legacy.

Nevertheless he has been a great servant of Pakistani cricket for the last one and half decade and was a gun test player in his prime. A Pakistani great and one of the better batsmen we have produced since the turn of the century.

It was clear in 2013 the way he batted in the first and third Tests in South African on the fast, bouncy pitches.

He has been quite lucky that we haven't had a tough schedule since 2010 and this is his first tour of England in 10 years and he hasn't toured Australia since 2004.

Anyhow, you don't have to be hard on yourself. It is not about being right or wrong, opinions are just opinions.

They way he has run his mouth over the last couple of years and acted in egoistic fashion, i.e. don't compare me to Misbah, I'm much experienced etc. and the way he forced his way into the World Cup squad, he had this humiliation coming.

Two failures in his last god knows how many tests and people are out with their ice picks taking digs at his back. He is so good that anything below 100 or 50 is seen as a failure now

hhahahahahahahaha [MENTION=2068]syed[/MENTION] is that you
IF NOT than you find a brother to argue with Mamoon
by the way loving this avatar

Just wondering what would be our opinions if he somehow manages a 100 in the next innings. Its been a long time since he failed 4 innings in a row.

Called it ages ago. The sensationalists and nostalgia stricken fans wanted to say otherwise but can't look away now.

They way he has run his mouth over the last couple of years and acted in egoistic fashion, i.e. don't compare me to Misbah, I'm much experienced etc. and the way he forced his way into the World Cup squad, he had this humiliation coming.

Misbah came out with the same opinion that he bats in a harder position and YK has won him so many matches as a captain. Nothing wrong with what he said at all, they bat different positions, YK has effectively been an opener because our actual openers have the mental capacity of a rock

Just wondering what would be our opinions if he somehow manages a 100 in the next innings. Its been a long time since he failed 4 innings in a row.

I doubt it unless it's an Asian style pitch.

But he may actually manage it if he stops pursuing a career in ballet and sticks to cricket.

he was pretty decent in his previous tour to England.. Now at the moment he has changed his technique into jumping technique and if he remain stubborn as usual to accept this failed technique and revert back to normal he is going nowhere.....

Misbah came out with the same opinion that he bats in a harder position and YK has won him so many matches as a captain. Nothing wrong with what he said at all, they bat different positions, YK has effectively been an opener because our actual openers have the mental capacity of a rock

Misbah praising Younis is not the same as Younis praising himself and telling others not to compare him to Misbah because he is a much more experienced player.

What Younis said was not wrong, but it sounded very vain coming from his mouth.

What he said and the manner in which he said was disrespectful and the way Misbah responded he showed he is bigger man and more mature than Younis.

Misbah praising Younis is not the same as Younis praising himself and telling others not to compare him to Misbah because he is a much more experienced player.

What Younis said was not wrong, but it sounded very vain coming from his mouth.

Is it a wrong trait to be outspoken? You are very outspoken too and say what you feel, Or do you have that copyright too? Legitimate question, not trying to mock you

Why don't you talk about your hero Azhar Ali you keeps failing after failing ever innings for single digit scores despite being in the "prime" of his career.

Why don't you talk about your hero Azhar Ali you keeps failing after failing ever innings for single digit scores despite being in the "prime" of his career.

Great player too, Pakistan fans are seriously crap supporters

What he said and the manner in which he said was disrespectful and the way Misbah responded he showed he is bigger man and more mature than Younis.

He has a higher education so that does not surprise me in the slightest. YK is a man who has been hard done by all of his career. I see a correlation between that and his tantrums.
Nobody is perfect, it is an honest human mistake, especially considering most of the time these guys only have one job which is cricket. Country is unprofessional anway, why expect our players to suddenly become Mother Theresa

The reality is that he's the about the same age as Misbah, and after this series Younis, Misbah, and Hafeez need to retire from test cricket along with Zulfi

I have talked about him in the other thread, keep track of it.

Azhar has been frustrating on this tour because he has not looked to score runs even though he is in good form. That is called not cashing in.

He hardly looks troubled at the crease but because he has no intention to score, he finds a way to get out.

Tell Root and Kohli to bat for an hour by dead-batting everything and not punishing the bad balls. I guarantee you that they will find a way to get out.

It is not possible to occupy the crease without scoring runs.

I have talked about him in the other thread, keep track of it.

Azhar has been frustrating on this tour because he has not looked to score runs even though he is in good form. That is called not cashing in.

He hardly looks troubled at the crease but because he has no intention to score, he finds a way to get out.

Tell Root and Kohli to bat for an hour by dead-batting everything and not punishing the bad balls. I guarantee you that they will find a way to get out.

It is not possible to occupy the crease without scoring runs.

It is actually quite simple.

Since this pitch is flat - he just needs to play through the line of the ball and he will middle his strokes. His caught and bowled by Woakes was a nothing and pathetic stroke. Either defend or play through the line rather than caught in two minds... :facepalm:

Shan Masood is showing application and hence he has looked good so far.

And Azhar needs to stop his trigger movement of walking to the offside that makes him susceptible to LBW like in the first innings.

We need younis to get 10,000 runs not just for him but for the pride of pakistan. We have no one whose scored 10, 000 runs in test matches compared to india, aus, windes, sri lanka, south africa and england.
i.e.only us and new zealand in the 8 proper test playing nations havent achieved this milestone.
How do we do this?
Simple, younis should only be selected for uae and subcontinent tests, on the condition he retires as soon as he reaches this milestone.

I'll wait for the 4th innings before I make this decision...

YK is statistically the highest averaging player in the 4th innings..

Maybe there is life in the old man yet..

Not before 10,000 Fc runs.

Records are imp :)

The guy has averaged 55 plus in last 4 years.

Apart from 1 innings from Misbah & 2 innings from Shafiq all our batsman have failed uptil now. Give them time. 5 innings to go.

I know mein b serheeaal hua hua hun iss performance se per churaeeaan chaaqu waapas rakho drawer mein. Baad mein nikaalna. Sabar kero. Lots of cricket remainingm

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Not before 10,000 Fc runs.

Records are imp :)

The guy has averaged 55 plus in last 4 years.

Apart from 1 innings from Misbah & 2 innings from Shafiq all our batsman have failed uptil now. Give them time. 5 innings to go.

I know mein b serheeaal hua hua hun iss performance se per churaeeaan chaaqu waapas rakho drawer mein. Baad mein nikaalna. Sabar kero. Lots of cricket remainingm

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Who is meant to score centuries for Pakistan in the remaining seven Tests in England, NZ and Australia?

If you carry an unsound Dancing Younis so that he can reach 10,000 runs, and you carry a 42 year old skipper, and you carry an incompetent pair of Openers and Azhar Ali, then you are banking on Asad Shafiq to score 150 in every innings.

You won the First Test because it was a low scoring match so low scoring batsmen didn't cause you to lose.

But leaving Babar Azam to score 396 runs for Pakistan A and ignoring Saud Shakeel's comfort in English conditions is making this tour into a textbook case of how to turn victory into defeat.

Younis Khan averaged 68.68 in 15 matches between July 1st 2014- July 1st 2016 (before Eng series). He smashed 8 centuries as well in that period.

Yes. Let's drop him obviously.

Do we have Sachin Tendulkar on the bench? :facepalm:

Its not only lack of runs, but more importantly the manner in which he is getting out and how miserable he looks at the wicket.

Unfortunately, yes.

An ATG who is still very fit, but his technique has unraveled as he has lost his hand-eye coordination to Father Time.

He is destroying his legacy - people will remember the scratchy geriatric batsman, the drunken giraffe, and forget how good he was.

He is not looking as bad as Tendulkar was looking before retirement

People talk about his stats for last 4 years. How many matches he has played outside SC? Five maximum including Zimbabwe I think.Todays dismissal of him reminded the one against India in WC in which he was hopping around like today

Younis Khan averaged 68.68 in 15 matches between July 1st 2014- July 1st 2016 (before Eng series). He smashed 8 centuries as well in that period.

You're failing to realize that even a debutant will have a bigger impact on the matches compared to YK's recent performances.

He needs to retire ASAP or after this series at the latest.

People talk about his stats for last 4 years. How many matches he has played outside SC? Five maximum including Zimbabwe I think.Todays dismissal of him reminded the one against India in WC in which he was hopping around like today

Sure, but what were the rest of our batsmen averaging in that period of "easy" matches? He was right near the top.

He could only play what they were scheduled to.

You're failing to realize that even a debutant will have a bigger impact on the matches compared to YK's recent performances.

He needs to retire ASAP or after this series at the latest.

Did you know Alastair Cook averaged 25 in 2014 over a period 11 tests? Did they drop him?

YK doesn't even have that problem! He was in great form coming to England.

Looks like YK has a sword over his head because of age alone. Can't be merit cause he averaged 68 in the past two years.

problem is that Younis Khan's technique is not suited for these kind of pitches or bowlers. He will survive in UAE and other countries, but you can't dance and hop around Woakes, Broad or Anderson

He is an experience player, who knows his way around, hence he has always came on top and scored plenty of runs in UAE etc. But here in England, you can't survive here if your basics aren't even right.

He dropped 4 catches already

Reflexes and sight are clearly weakening

not really reflexes, but his whole posture is wrong, and yet he doesn't change it.

Younis has such an ugly posture, that when he even takes a catch, he makes it look as if it was a great take.

I have seen him drop soo many over the years, especially that Grant Elliot one during the champions trophy of 2009.

Yet, everyone thinks he is a great fielder, why? Because most of the times, he makes an easy catch look harder

He won't retire, he needs to be kicked out. If he's hoping and dancing around here in England, how in this world will he survive in Australia against Starc, Hazlewood, and co? He's already occupying and important spot in the lineup, a spot which Asad Shafiq deserves a million times more.

His aging reflexes aren't only reflecting in his batting, he's dropped and fumbled too many this series.

The team comes before his 10,000 run record.

problem is that Younis Khan's technique is not suited for these kind of pitches or bowlers. He will survive in UAE and other countries, but you can't dance and hop around Woakes, Broad or Anderson

He is an experience player, who knows his way around, hence he has always came on top and scored plenty of runs in UAE etc. But here in England, you can't survive here if your basics aren't even right.

He averaged 65 in England (2006).

:yk

we like it or not he is not going anywhere till he has completed 10,000 runs.
one thing I don't understand why there is so much jumping come from all of sudden. It's not like that he is facing chin music, these are regular deliveries and he is getting into line of delivery very easily and defending them with straight bat. but his back leg doing all the jogging/jumping/dancing.
last test match as well, ball is between ankle and knee area and he was defending with straight bat but he was dancing all over the place.

He was jumping around in 2006 as well when he averaged 65.

[utube]uuagMZbgAtA[/utube]

It's how he plays.

Younis Khan has earned the right to play full series in England whether people like it or not.

When you are your team's most prolific run scorer for a decade, you can't be dropped based on one bad series.

This said, let's see how he does in the remaining matches. If he is completely clueless in all the innings then him doing well in the Aussie tour will be highly unlikely. In that scenario, he should retire after English tour. If he does well in the 2nd inning of this test and next 2 tests, he can continue playing as long as he is fit and performing.

However, Pakistani team management should realize that WI tour of UAE is the perfect and perhaps only opportunity where they can introduce some new players into the team.

Younis Khan has earned the right to play full series in England whether people like it or not.

When you are your team's most prolific run scorer for a decade, you can't be dropped based on one bad series.

This said, let's see how he does in the remaining matches. If he is completely clueless in all the innings then him doing well in the Aussie tour will be highly unlikely. In that scenario, he should retire after English tour. If he does well in the 2nd inning of this test and next 2 tests, he can continue playing as long as he is fit and performing.

However, Pakistani team management should realize that WI tour of UAE is the perfect and perhaps only opportunity where they can introduce some new players into the team.

What if he performs in one innings but fails in others?

He was jumping around in 2006 as well when he averaged 65.

[utube]uuagMZbgAtA[/utube]

It's how he plays.

Yes, he used to jump around. But his reflexes were good at that time and he used to be balanced at the point of contact. Right now he's struggling with timing, balance, and his worsened reflexes make his hopping even more exaggerated, it's even reflecting in his fielding. He probably can't even play most of the shots in that video anymore.

The knives are out already eh. The guy has averaged like 50+ or thereabouts last seven series.

Back