South Africa (144/2) defeats West Indies (143/8) by 8 wickets at Dubai

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Having both endured first-up defeats at the tournament, South Africa and the West Indies meet in Dubai, staring down the prospects of falling too far behind in the semi-final race.

Desperate to catch up in their respective campaigns, both teams will be looking for improvements on the batting side of the equation, curtailed by opposition bowling in their first-match efforts.

Restricted to 118/9 in their 20 overs against Australia, South Africa’s performance was somewhat helped by a confident effort in the field, taking the match to its final over in a five-wicket defeat.

While Temba Bavuma’s men cushioned a potentially crippling net run rate blow, the same cannot be said for Kieron Pollard’s West Indies, who were crushed by England in just 8.2 overs in the chase after posting a meagre target of 56. Having seemingly recovered from losing two early wickets, a collapse of 28/8 pushed West Indies out of the game, unable to hit back against an English attack firing on all cylinders.

With not enough on the board to defend, Pollard almost used the England innings to allow Akeal Hosein to find a rhythm at the bowling crease. A late inclusion to the squad after injury forced Fabian Allen out of the tournament, Hosein found his groove, taking two excellent catches off his own bowling to finish with figures of 2/24 (4).

Hosein’s performance was the sole positive from the West Indies’ effort, though vibes in the group look positive, shaking the result off as an aberration. Looking back at tournament history, West Indies fell to Afghanistan at the end of the Super 10 phase during their 2016 campaign, before victories against India and England to claim their second title in the event.

Between the two combatants in this upcoming fixture, however, it is South Africa with the edge. The teams faced off in a five-match T20I series earlier in the year in Grenada, with the tourists claiming a see-sawing series 3-2. A one-run victory in the third match proved the difference, with South Africa winning all of their matches batting first.

The series was the first for Bavuma as skipper, passing his first test on the back of smart bowling, and the work of Quinton de Kock with the bat. Posting at least 160 in all four of the matches in the series batting first, de Kock’s 255 series runs (at 51.00, strike rate 141.66) was complemented by contributions around him, most notably Aiden Markram and Rassie van der Dussen.

On the West Indian side, the series was used to experiment with the batting line-up, though questions of frailties against spin bowling went largely unanswered, as Tabraiz Shamsi caused havoc. Claiming seven wickets across the five matches at an economy of four, Pollard’s men may need a different plan of attack against the wrist-spinner.

Fixture details
Match: South Africa v West Indies
Time: 14:00 26 October 2021
Venue: Dubai International Stadium

Quinton de Kock

The linchpin of South Africa’s line-up, de Kock’s impact with the bat will likely shape South Africa’s assault. In six innings against the West Indies, de Kock averages 50.33, with a strike rate into the 130s, including three half-centuries. De Kock is a good match-up against spinners Akeal Hosein and Hayden Walsh Jr, and is an expert at negotiating quick bowling, no matter the format.

Andre Russell

South Africa has been somewhat of a bogey team for Andre Russell, though the neutral setting and significance of a T20 World Cup could galvanise the world-class all-rounder to become a point of difference in the encounter. Conceding 9.57 runs an over against South Africa (up from a career T20I economy of 9.18), Russell has been quelled by South Africa’s bowlers in death over situations, averaging 12.25 in nine innings, not out on just the one occasion.

Should the West Indies lose early wickets in a second successive match, Russell’s countering ability with the bat may prove the difference, and South Africa won’t feel comfortable in the field until he has been sent back to the dugout.

Despite suffering defeat in their respective tournament openers, both sides are not expected to make wholesale changes. For South Africa, the bowling attack should remain unchanged despite the likes of Lungi Ngidi and Andile Phehlukwayo on the fringes. On the batting side, shuffles to the order look more likely than changes to the XI, though Reeza Hendricks could squeeze into the side.

Possible South Africa XI: Quinton de Kock, Temba Bavuma (c), Aiden Markram, Rassie van der Dussen, David Miller, Heinrich Klaasen, Dwaine Pretorius, Kagiso Rabada, Keshav Maharaj, Anrich Nortje, Tabraiz Shamsi

For the West Indies, Roston Chase and Andre Fletcher may be considered, though Kieron Pollard will likely enter the second match with the same XI despite the heavy defeat.

Possible West Indies XI: Evin Lewis, Lendl Simmons, Chris Gayle, Nicholas Pooran, Shimron Hetmyer, Kieron Pollard (c), Andre Russell, Dwayne Bravo, Hayden Walsh Jr, Obed McCoy, Ravi Rampaul

Ladder situation

Giving their rivals a headstart in the race for a semi-final spot, both teams find themselves needing victory. The loser will have a mountain to climb in their final three matches and would surely need other results to go their way.

What they said

Kagiso Rabada, South Africa pacer: "Batters know what they have to do. Nobody is blaming anyone. But the worst thing you can do is harp on about it. It is definitely an area of concern, and it is being addressed ... West Indies are a dangerous team, you can't underestimate anyone. Tomorrow is a new day. We have to be as disciplined as we were in the first game. They are an incredibly strong and powerful T20 team."

Roddy Estwick, West Indies assistant coach: "If you look at the conditions here, especially in Dubai, where we played, there was a bit in it for the paces. [Bowlers] who bowl into the pitch with a nice change of pace got the rewards. I believe that there's enough for both spinners and pacers. It is all about assessing the conditions. The pitch will give you the information, and the team that grabs that information the quickest and executes their skills the best, they will come out on top. Because the pitch will always give you the information."

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it

Today's winners....SA and Pak....West indies is such a hopeless team in these conditions...if they bat first, at max they will make some 100 odd runs....if batting 2nd, they will be all out below 100....Shamsi will kill them.

Quin de kock is a Windies basher so I expect him to perform.

Dubai should be a good pitch for runs. I am backing WI to post a big total and win the game.

Windies not looking like the Windies of old. Plus they have selected a horrible side for these conditions. Far too many hitters and not enough accumulators. No world-class spinner like Narine or Badree in their side either. Very tough to see them qualifying for the semis. Expect South Africa to beat them who have a number of match-winners in their side eventhough they too are a shadow of their former self.

South Africa have won the toss and have opted to field

South Africa (Playing XI): Temba Bavuma(c), Reeza Hendricks, Rassie van der Dussen, Aiden Markram, Heinrich Klaasen(w), David Miller, Dwaine Pretorius, Keshav Maharaj, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje, Tabraiz Shamsi

West Indies (Playing XI): Lendl Simmons, Evin Lewis, Chris Gayle, Shimron Hetmyer, Nicholas Pooran(w), Kieron Pollard(c), Andre Russell, Dwayne Bravo, Akeal Hosein, Hayden Walsh, Ravi Rampaul

De Kock not playing, yes CSA have a forced directive for all players to take a knee.

I wonder if De Kock will walk away from this World Cup.

Good response from QDK.. Time to move on from these knee thing.. They're killing that poor guy over and over and over by taking these knees..

Last edited:
I wonder why QDK is so much against this gesture, he has never done this. I mean what's wrong if he does it?

I can understand people not doing certain things for religious reasons which is absolutely fine, but this is for a good cause, as much useless as you think it is, but still for a good thing.

Good response from QDK.. Time to move on from these knee thing.. They're killing that poor guy over and over and over by taking these knees..
It’s so hypocritical seeing Indians take the knee

Can the commentators shut up about racism and focus on cricket?

It's time for the teams to poach players from South Africa. May be few associate teams can have few of them like Namibia. SA cricket seems to be going in more turmoil with every passing day.
Such a shame that such a talented team can't put their best team in the world Cup.

It is a pain to listen to Sammy’s commentary. It is ridiculous.

No eloquence, no coherence, doesn’t have a broadcast voice. I bet this is his first and last assignment.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to have him in the box for a World Cup needs to be sacked.

Simmons needs to be investigated. There are plenty of bookies in Dubai…

Simmons needs to retire hurt... this has been a match losing innings here. Terrible.

Not watching the match live but as per scorecard simmons is on 15 (32).

I mean really..... if you are struggling just throw your wicket and give someone else a chance.

I wonder why QDK is so much against this gesture, he has never done this. I mean what's wrong if he does it?

I can understand people not doing certain things for religious reasons which is absolutely fine, but this is for a good cause, as much useless as you think it is, but still for a good thing.

Taking the knee isn’t going to stop racism. They do it for raising awareness but instead of making players take the knee, why not just have “stop racism” printed on the shirts.

Simmons robbed West Indies of 40 runs with that innings. Has to be the slowest T20i innings EVER (minimum 30 balls)

How can you not open with Gayle, and not send Andre russel at 3. WI setting target not chasing so why keep russel down the ordrr

It is a pain to listen to Sammy’s commentary. It is ridiculous.

No eloquence, no coherence, doesn’t have a broadcast voice. I bet this is his first and last assignment.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to have him in the box for a World Cup needs to be sacked.

same goes for Shane Watson as well, making Bazid sound like richie benaud

ICC Men's T20 World Cup | South Africa v West Indies | Dubai | 26 Oct, 2021 | Match Discussion

That is one of the most unbelievable catch dismissals that I've ever seen. Unbelievable! A tactical masterstroke which paid off amazingly well! Kudos to the South African thinktank. Wow! Inspiring stuff!

is shemron hetmyer Umer Akmal 2.0? came onto the scene as very talented and flamboyant, since then his game has been downward spiralling, and also has gotten lots of water weight added recently and clearly evident in the world cup games.

That is one of the most unbelievable catch dismissals that I've ever seen. Unbelievable! A tactical masterstroke which paid off amazingly well! Kudos to the South African thinktank. Wow! Inspiring stuff!

Is it within rules to have a field like this? Right behind umpire.

Hendricks looking set with Markram and Miller next to come. Looking comfortable for SA so far.

Another team has lost its way after put into bat. Even after getting good score they could not capitalise. that means another team looks like winning by chasing a low score

ICC Men's T20 World Cup | South Africa v West Indies | Dubai | 26 Oct, 2021 | Match Discussion

Is it within rules to have a field like this? Right behind umpire.

Erm, I don't quite know about that, sir. Maybe someone else can shed light on this? Although I think that it must be allowed.

Aleem Dar should retire. Some of his calls are getting absurd to say the least

There’s no way umpires can make a soft signal on calls near the boundary, looks like they just guess

Lendl Simmons played an absolute gem of an innings! Wow! 16 off 35! I remember Gayle playing a similar innings in the World T20 Final 2012. Sometimes, these West Indies batsmen can really get stuck badly. Runako Morton had made the record for scoring a duck off the most number of balls in ODI cricket. It was 38, I think.

Well, I don't think that it's going to be any cakewalk for South Africa here. I think that there's more to this match than what people think. I just get this feeling.

Well, I don't think that it's going to be any cakewalk for South Africa here. I think that there's more to this match than what people think. I just get this feeling.
Someone please delete this feeling. Match over, hoh!

SA cruising to a win. 98/2 in 13 overs. Need 46 runs from 42 balls.

South Africa (144/2 in 18.2 overs) defeat West Indies (143/8 in 20 overs) by 8 Wickets at Dubai.

Last edited:
South Africa's man of the match is Lindel Simmons, what a magnificient contribution to the cause, legendary.

South Africa beat the West Indies at a canter to open their Super 12s account and leave their opponents staring at an early ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 exit.

The Proteas limited the West Indies to 143 for eight as Dwaine Pretorious took three wickets late on to put the brakes on an innings which had looked set to reach a far more imposing total after opener Evin Lewis’s blistering 56.

In reply, South Africa rallied well from the early loss of captain Temba Bavuma and never looked in trouble in pursuit of the runs as Aiden Markram’s destructive 51 not out from just 26 balls broke the West Indies’ resolve en route to an eight-wicket win.

Given the West Indies’ net run rate took a heavy hit in the six-wicket defeat to England, a second consecutive loss leaves the defending champions desperate for favourable results against Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Australia if they are to stand a chance of making the semi-finals.

South Africa made one change from the defeat to Australia as Quinton de Kock was replaced at the top of the order by Reeza Hendricks, with Heinrich Klaasen taking the gloves.

Unsurprisingly, Bavuma invited the West Indies to bat first at Dubai International Stadium, the same venue where they capitulated to 55 all out against England on Sunday.

That performance appeared to still be fresh in their minds as they made a very cautious start, edging to just six for none off the first three overs, part-timer Markram even squeezing in a maiden.

But then opener Lewis got going in some style, smashing three sixes and three fours, as his side blitzed 37 off 18 balls to reach 43 without loss at the end of a topsy-turvy powerplay.

However, it was not without a scare, as Lendl Simmons - who was making exceptionally slow progress - benefitted from stand-in gloveman Klaasen shelling a dolly off Anrich Nortje, whose pace forced an edge behind in the first over of a miserly spell of one for 14.
Lewis kept sending balls flying into the stands and when he slog-swept Tabraiz Shamsi into the crowd, he brought up a marvellous half-century from only 32 balls.

Having registered a sixth maximum off Keshav Maharaj, Lewis perished the next ball when immediately looking for a seventh, Kagiso Rabada holding a catch out on the boundary.

Nicholas Pooran came to the crease at No.3 ahead of Chris Gayle and took 12 from the bowling of Shamsi in the 12th over before his sprightly seven-ball cameo ended when he became Maharaj’s second victim.

At the other end, Simmons was bowled by Rabada after a 35-ball vigil that produced just 16 runs and tied the record for the joint-longest innings without a boundary in ICC Men’s T20 World Cup history.

Gayle and captain Kieron Pollard shared a stand of 32 in just under four overs before both fell to Pretorious, who finished with three for 17 having bowled the key 18th and 20th overs.

Gayle’s dismissal sparked a collapse of four for 22 as the West Indies finished on 143, well short of what they would have been expecting after Lewis’ pyrotechnics.

South Africa’s chase got off to the worst possible start when Bavuma was run out for two by a super Andre Russell direct hit from the last ball of the first over.

But on his first appearance at the tournament, Hendricks looked especially fluent alongside Rassie van der Dussen as the Proteas made serene progress to get up to 42 for one at the end of the powerplay.

The pair brought up their 50 partnership before the previously untroubled Hendricks was expertly caught by a diving Shimron Hetmyer in the deep off the bowling of Akeal Hosein.

Hendricks’s 39 off 30 balls left South Africa 61 for two and firmly in touch with the required rate that was at that stage slightly more than 7.5 runs an over.

Markram waltzed to the crease and, after making 40 against Australia, continued his fine form, rapidly finding himself on 22 off just 11 balls after some lusty blows put South Africa firmly in the driving seat.

Van der Dussen, 43 off 51, anchored the innings perfectly as Markram added the fastest half-century of the competition so far as together they shared an unbeaten match-winning stand of 83 from 57 balls to earn South Africa their first win with ten balls to spare.

Scores in Brief
South Africa beat West Indies at Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai by eight wickets
West Indies 143/8 in 20 overs (Evin Lewis 56, Kieron Pollard 26; Dwaine Pretorious 3/17, Keshav Maharaj 2/24, Anrich Nortje 1/14)
South Africa 144/2 in 18.2 overs (Aiden Markram 51 not out, Rassie van der Dussen 43 not out; Akeal Hosein 1/27)
Player of the Match: Anrich Nortje

Highlights

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/riash7" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Aiden Markram’s timely fourth T20 international half-century helped guide South Africa to their first victory of the 2021 ICC Men’s T20 Cricket World Cup against the West Indies at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium on Tuesday.

Markram produced an unbeaten 51* off 26 deliveries, including two fours and an explosive four sixes in a pivotal third-wicket partnership with Rassie van der Dussen (43*) as the Proteas successfully chased down the target of 144 for victory with 10 balls to spare.

The Caribbean side made a strong start at the crease after they lost the toss and were asked to bat first. Openers Lendl Simmons (16) and Evin Lewis combined well for a 73-run, first-wicket stand, with the latter going onto top-score for his team with 56 off 35 balls (3 fours, 6 sixes).

That partnership was the highlight of the West Indies innings, as the South African bowlers maintained the pressure throughout, picking wickets at regular intervals during the middle and final stages to restrict their opponents to 143 / 8 after 20 overs.

Dwaine Pretorius’ supreme death bowling earned him standout figures of three for 17, while Keshav Maharaj (2 / 24), Kagiso Rabada (1 / 27) and Anrich Nortje (1 / 14) all pitched in with crucial wickets.

In reply, the Proteas took a measured approach to their chase and despite losing captain, Temba Bavuma (2) early, made a positive start to reach the end of the powerplay on 42 / 1 with Reeza Hendricks (39 of 30 balls: 4 fours, 1 six) and Van der Dussen laying the platform.

The result was sealed in a convincing manner as Markram smashed a six on the penultimate delivery of the game to bring up a deserved fifty before a single wrapped up proceedings to give South Africa their first points in Group 1.

The Proteas next take on Sri Lanka on Saturday, 30 October at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium, with the action underway from 12pm (SA Time).

After losses against England and South Africa, West Indies are probably on the verge of elimination. Their NRR is poor also.

Most of this WI team is on its last legs and going forward needs freshening up. Father time has caught up with alot of them and you can see why they have been exposed in this world cup so far.

Most of this WI team is on its last legs and going forward needs freshening up. Father time has caught up with alot of them and you can see why they have been exposed in this world cup so far.

I agree.

Current West Indies team reminds me of Brazil from 2006 World Cup.

They need the oldies gone.

Back