South Africa hammer England by 58 runs | 2nd T20I | Cardiff | 28 July, 2022 | Series level 1-1

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Thrashed in the first game, can South Africa strike back?

Squads:

England Squad: Jason Roy, Jos Buttler(w/c), Dawid Malan, Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali, Liam Livingstone, Sam Curran, Chris Jordan, Adil Rashid, Richard Gleeson, Reece Topley, David Willey, Harry Brook, Philip Salt

South Africa Squad: Quinton de Kock(w), Reeza Hendricks, Rilee Rossouw, Heinrich Klaasen, David Miller(c), Tristan Stubbs, Andile Phehlukwayo, Kagiso Rabada, Keshav Maharaj, Lungi Ngidi, Tabraiz Shamsi, Anrich Nortje, Wayne Parnell, Dwaine Pretorius, Rassie van der Dussen, Aiden Markram, Gerald Coetzee

==================================================

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it

Last edited by a moderator:
England have won the toss and have opted to field

Both teams are unchanged.

England (Playing XI): Jason Roy, Jos Buttler(w/c), Dawid Malan, Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali, Liam Livingstone, Sam Curran, Chris Jordan, Adil Rashid, Richard Gleeson, Reece Topley

South Africa (Playing XI): Quinton de Kock(w), Reeza Hendricks, Rilee Rossouw, Heinrich Klaasen, David Miller(c), Tristan Stubbs, Andile Phehlukwayo, Kagiso Rabada, Keshav Maharaj, Lungi Ngidi, Tabraiz Shamsi

Last edited:
Good bowling change by Buttler.

Big wicket for Moeen - QDK gone.

Good bowling change by Buttler.

Big wicket for Moeen - QDK gone.

Dependable Moeen!

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/2l1596" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

SA 2 down but paying England back it seems

RSA 118/2 (11.5) CRR: 9.97

I still don't understand why fans don't find T20s predictable and monotonous. It's just the same every other ball going for a boundary stuff. Nothing exciting like a contest between bat and ball.. Just same slogging, wickets hardly matter as long as you have someone who can keep slogging. Boring stuff tbh.

Brilliant batting from Rossouw.

Such a clever and versatile batter

Rossouw has been missed by Saffers for 6 years.

Should be playing T20 and ODI for them now on a regular basis at No 3.

Last edited:
Stubbs yet to get going.

I would've sent him when Hendricks fell especially after his show last night.

Only 2 overs left and Miller hasn't had a bat.

Come on jordan, don't give him century pls.. (cos i don't selected him in my fantasy xi)..

207-3

Only 4 runs off the last over by Chris Jordan. Brilliant bowling that.

lw6iB92.png

Decent response from England.

Could be a close finish.

England need 142 runs in 76 balls

RSA - 207/3 (20)
ENG - 66/2 (7.2)

CRR: 9.00
RR : 11.21

Roy 16*
Moeen 16*

Moeen out

Stunning catch

England in trouble

England in the bin

Bairstow got to do it on his own again

England need 116 runs in 54 balls

RSA - 207/3 (20)
ENG - 94/5 (11)

CRR: 8.36
RR : 12.89

Livingstone 1*
Bairstow 6*

Bairstow 30 (21) good effort but gone.

Eng losing this one.

RSA - 207/3 (20)
ENG - 136/6 (14.5)

CRR: 9.00
RR : 14.25

Livingstone 17*
Jordan 0*

Eng bottled this one! Ugly performance.

SA bowling and fielding superb.

Great comeback win.

Decider on Sunday.

Rossouw rampage sets up England-South Africa T20I series decider

Just a day after their defeat in the first T20I, the Proteas hit back with a thumping 58-run win in Cardiff, set up by Rilee Rossouw's unbeaten 96.

In what is a career renaissance for Rossouw at the international level, the left-hander looked in ominous form in his country's colours, falling just short of three figures in his 55-ball effort.

After a six-year gap in T20I cricket, mostly down to focussing his efforts on domestic cricket on Kolpak deals in England, Rossouw was dismissed early in the first match of the series, though he was not to be denied runs in his second game back.

The No.3 picked his battles, circumspect against the towering left-arm pace of Reece Topley and off-spin of Moeen Ali, but pouncing on opportunities given by the rest of the attack.

Taking on the leg-spin of Adil Rashid, Rossouw fancied his chances against the quick bowling of Richard Gleeson and Chris Jordan, hitting a total of 15 boundaries in his quick-fire knock.

Rossouw missed out on the century after failing to make contact on a wide Jordan yorker off the final ball of the innings, though was adjudged Player of the Match for his efforts in setting up a South African victory.

France opener breaks multiple records with consecutive T20I centuries
South Africa's bowlers do the job

Any thought of an English batting blitz in response was thwarted through the middle overs, with three wickets moving the hosts out of contention.

Tabraiz Shamsi was the man responsible for the spiral, taking the wickets Jason Roy, Moeen Ali and Sam Curran in the space of 15 deliveries, finishing with 3/27 off his four overs.

Every Proteas bowler tasted success, with Kagiso Rabada (1/35) and Keshav Maharaj (1/37) also in on the act.

What have we learned ahead of the T20 World Cup?

With less than three months away from the ICC Men's T20 World Cup, there's no question both teams in the series have one eye on Australia.

For South Africa Rossouw's return and the emergence of both Tristan Stubbs and Dewald Brevis means there is now competition for places at the tournament, only boosting their chances after a poor campaign last year in UAE.

Jos Buttler hinted at the toss that he wanted to give his side practice in chasing targets, though the efforts with the bat show the side look a fair way off being a finished product.

Taking over from the retiring Eoin Morgan, Buttler remains the biggest threat with the bat, while Ben Stokes will likely slide back into the team, focusing on the shorter of the white-ball formats after ODI retirement earlier this month.

ICC

Ben Stokes has called for the 'soft signal' rule to be abolished following England 's 58-run defeat to South Africa in the second T20I in Cardiff. Rilee Rossouw powered the Proteas to victory with an excellent 96 off just 55 balls, but England captain Jos Buttler was adamant he should have been given out when he was on 37.

After gloving a delivery from Chris Jordan down the leg side, wicketkeeper Buttler dived across and felt he had taken a clean catch. However, the umpire gave Rossouw not out, prompting Buttler to call for a review.

In real time, it looked as though he had taken a clean catch, although when the replay was slowed down the ball appeared to bounce right as Buttler was gathering it. As a result, the third umpire also gave Rossouw not out, with the 32-year-old going on to play a match winning innings.

Reacting to the moment on Twitter, Stokes did not give his opinion on whether he felt Rossouw was out, instead drawing attention to the fact the third umpire made his decision without being swayed by a 'soft signal' from the on-field umpires. Stokes wrote: "Ohh 3rd umpire makes a decision with out a soft signal..so can we get rid of he soft signal now….PLEASE!"

Typically, catches like the one Buttler took are reviewed by the umpires, who give a 'soft signal' to indicate to the third umpire whether they felt the ball bounced or not. The third umpire then has to find conclusive evidence to overturn the 'soft signal', which is usually difficult because television replays provide a 2D image.

They foreshorten the image and flatten it, meaning catches taken close to the ground often look as though the ball has been grounded first. However, in this case there was no 'soft signal' as Buttler reviewed it, presumably thinking the umpire did not believe Rossouw had hit the ball.

And while the decision did not go England's way, Stokes would like to see similar decisions decided solely by the third umpire with no influence from a 'soft signal'. Buttler, meanwhile, was adamant after the game that it was a clean catch.

"I thought I had it," he said. "But the people who matter disagreed. It's frustrating to have lost and we are trying and working hard to be more consistent, but we've not managed to string our best games together.

"Sunday is a pressure game and will be a good test for where we are as a team. We haven’t won a series yet this summer which we are not accustomed to."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/cri...pc=U531&cvid=a527ef4365344ca8b8628b4751572715

Back