UK General Elections (2024) - Labour wins landslide victory (Update at Post#92)

Which party is standing a better chance of winning the UK general elections in 2024?

• Liberal Democrats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scottish National Party

• Green parties

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s been high for a while now, I got family there and i can see they will never allow people to make money, it’s how UK has been becoming.

US survives too only coz they have federal structure if not Ny and democrats would had done the same here.
It's been more than high, I live here.

Don't get a lot for your taxes to be honest if you are earning above a certain threshold.

Its going to be more painful, as the Labour's policies of envy and jealousy realise into tax policies.

As it is between 100 and 125k the effective tax rate is 55% or thereabouts. Going to be a lot more and don't get much back except for potholes, crime and a crumbling NHS.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been more than high, I live here.

Don't get a lot for your taxes to be honest if you are earning above a certain threshold.

Its going to be more painful, as the Labour's policies of envy and jealousy realise into tax policies.

As it is between 100 and 125k the marginal tax rate is 55% or thereabouts. Going to be a lot more and don't get much back except for potholes, crime and a crumbling NHS.
Yeah it’s the same in Canada.
They now have carbon tax which got increased by 20-23% on April 1st upon which there is GSt which gets increased now because of carbon tax increase.

And then they are increasing tax on Cheap EVs from China.
Labour mimics Liberal party of Canada and vicd versa, absolute idiots. Having said that it’s the fault of tories that allowed it to come to this state.

Jeremy Corbyn had a bigger share and count of the vote than Starmer has. One is about to win a seismic majority the other lost big time to Boris.

That is the absolutely ridiculous voting system we have.

I voted an independent and I know quite a few people who voted labour because they thought this was the lesser of two evils.

Anyone who seriously thinks anything will change has no clue. They’re all the same idiots who will do whatever their masters tell them to do.

Anyone can come to power truth is Uk’s productivity is low compared to economies that are moving up or better than England.

Labour wins the UK general election - Keir Starmer will be the new prime minister

"Change begins now," Starmer says, as Labour is forecast to win a landslide with 410 seats, and the Conservatives on 144

Rishi Sunak says Britain has delivered a "sobering verdict"

High-profile Conservatives have lost their seats, including Defence Secretary Grant Shapps, Jacob Rees-Mogg and Penny Mordaunt

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage becomes an MP for the first time, and the party's Richard Tice and Lee Anderson also win

Ex-Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn wins Islington North as an independent, and Labour's Jon Ashworth loses to an independent

Green Party's Carla Denyer wins Bristol Central from Labour, while Scottish First Minister John Swinney says it's been a "very, very difficult and damaging" night for the SNP

Reform's utter low seat count but high voter percentage is the biggest argument against First pass the post (FPTP) voting system. Its a landslide for labour but doesnt feel like it one bit :p

Depends on what constitutes dramatically? From a tax point I am seeing taxes going up without an uptick in public services and it may come to a point where one wonders if its worth staying in Blighty anymore especially in a post Brexit world.

Not sure if vat on school fees is dramatic or not, but I can tell it is significant, along with any increase in cgt.
What I meant was Starmer is essentially a continuation of the types of policies we have seen in the last 20-30 years. We weren't stable with the Tories and will be hurtling down a cliff with Labour. We have been on this trajectory and will have continued no matter who is in power.

Private school VAT doesn't effect me but I can see how it will hammer people. Especially those working class families that scrimp and save to send their kids to school.

We are taxed to the hilt while everything crumbles. The last 5 years have been the worst I've experienced.

The only thing stopping me from moving is my kids have some identity here. They won't have in the ME and while most of my family has moved back to Pakistan I ain't moving somewhere with crap unis for them to attend in the future.

So I'm stuck here lol

Sunak heckled on way to Downing Street as Labour wins historic landslide

Rishi Sunak has been heckled outside Conservative Campaign Headquarters as he left for Downing Street following a historic election defeat.

Sir Keir Starmer swept into power in a landslide victory which has seen the Tories reduced to fewer than 130 seats. Mr Sunak is expected to announce more details about his future in a speech outside No 10 at 10.30am.

Former prime minister Liz Truss was the biggest scalp of a disastrous night for the Conservatives, as a number of Tory big beasts lost their seats overnight, including Defence Secretary Grant Shapps, Commons Leader Penny Mordaunt and former MP Jacob Rees-Mogg – all losing to Labour.

Starmer said in a victory speech “change begins now” after reaching the required 326 seats needed to form a government. Mr Sunak conceded defeat just before 5am, telling Tories: “I take responsibility.”

In other shocks, Jeremy Corbyn defeated Labour and won as an independent candidate in his Islington North constituency, and Labour’s shadow paymaster general Jonathan Ashworth has been defeated in Leicester South. Elsewhere, Nigel Farage has become an MP on his eighth attempt as Reform UK won four seats after targeting formerly Conservative seats.

SOURCE: https://inews.co.uk/news/general-election-news-live-update-3150721?s=08#entry-3152704

Reform took a beating Farage will only last 6 months the rest of the mps will get booted out for racism.. no place for racism in politics in uk. If you want to do racism go India & join modi !!

Reform took a beating Farage will only last 6 months the rest of the mps will get booted out for racism.. no place for racism in politics in uk. If you want to do racism go India & join modi !!

One of the main Donor's for Reform party is a multi millionaire British Pakistani. Lol

There I agree and unfortunately there is no magic bullet to fix it over 5 years, will take a long time to fix low wages high taxes economy. Only hope and pray (and not going to happen) is Labour borrow to spend on capital investment and and infrastructure toupskill the population, boost economy and productivity and not increase debt for welfare state.

Wishful thinking though, as it will require effort and thinking and being paitent, whilst Labour (or for that matter Tories) will be looking how to win the 2030 elections.

School VAT impacts me, not to the extent of making it unaffordable but does make me thing about moving overseas. Its not just the working class, its the middle wage earners and professional workers as well. At my son's school there are no "rich- as in can afford to live without working", but parents who are sacrificing holidays abroad, new cars, house renovations etc and putting it into the education and this VAT whilst we will absorb it, quite a few are looking to move abroad.

For us no family ties to UK, only me, wife and our son, even though UK's been home for 24 years, I guess the way things are going it makes sense to look for oppurtunities elsewhere for a few years, if nothing else to pay off the mortgage and save for son's Uni.

Let's see how the cookie crumbles. Nation rejoices, but not sure if voters understand there isnt a significant difference between Starmer's Labour and Tories and yes the coffers are empty and the overdraft is beyond redemption.

Reform's utter low seat count but high voter percentage is the biggest argument against First pass the post (FPTP) voting system. Its a landslide for labour but doesnt feel like it one bit :p
Labour have won back the red wall and Tories lost their votes to Reform, allowing Labour to win. Doesnt mean voters are in love with Labour. For PR to happen, there will need to be a referendum, are UK parties ready for coalition governments, coz PR will mean coalitions.

Racists themselves always finds other racists. We all know in UK who actual racists and troublemakers are. So lets not go there.

Reform party was formed in 2018 and it is already 3rd in the list in terms of vote share. The seat sharing is screwed up in UK politics which need to be fixed. How come Lib Dems got 71 seats with 12% vote share but Reform only got 4 seats with 14%?

1720177238386.png

This is an anti conservative vote rather than pro labour. Not many likes Labour..LOL.

Conservative party was suppose to be centre right by their ideology but they started acting as woke left party in recent years and it paid heavy price in this election.

Nigel Farage will now merge with the conservative party, form a central right alliance which will demolish Labour in 2029.

#CantBarageTheFarage
#FarageFor2029
1720177705576.png

Racists themselves always finds other racists. We all know in UK who actual racists and troublemakers are. So lets not go there.

Reform party was formed in 2018 and it is already 3rd in the list in terms of vote share. The seat sharing is screwed up in UK politics which need to be fixed. How come Lib Dems got 71 seats with 12% vote share but Reform only got 4 seats with 14%?

View attachment 145037

This is an anti conservative vote rather than pro labour. Not many likes Labour..LOL.

Conservative party was suppose to be centre right by their ideology but they started acting as woke left party in recent years and it paid heavy price in this election.

Nigel Farage will now merge with the conservative party, form a central right alliance which will demolish Labour in 2029.

#CantBarageTheFarage
#FarageFor2029
View attachment 145038
If anything Reform + Tories is more extreme right, not centre right. Expect Suellas et al to move Tories further to the right.

For any country to be successful, Central Right govt is the best option. My inclination is more towards right but centre right is also okay.

Left parties are a disaster and it is evident that wherever they have ruled...they have destroyed that nation.

There is a reason more and more countries are moving towards right like France, Italy etc. People are slowly realizing it which Rajdeep knew all along.

If anything Reform + Tories is more extreme right, not centre right. Expect Suellas et al to move Tories further to the right.

Thats fine...extreme right is a term coined by liberals. Its actual meaning is more patriotic

Thats fine...extreme right is a term coined by liberals. Its actual meaning is more patriotic
Define patritotism? Is it kicking out immigrants, who actually clean the streets, pick up the fruits, change granny's diapers etc?

Patriotism is working and paying your taxes and not sitting on the dole, just coz its more convenient to be on the dole than working and shouting my granpa fought for this country and he contributed to the pot, whilst I/my kids etc. have only taken from it. Not you offcourse but the general caricature of Reform voters.

If Reformers were patriotic then ALL OF THEM would be net tax payers and not recipents.

Patriotism last refuge of a scroundrel and all that....

For any country to be successful, Central Right govt is the best option. My inclination is more towards right but centre right is also okay.

Left parties are a disaster and it is evident that wherever they have ruled...they have destroyed that nation.

There is a reason more and more countries are moving towards right like France, Italy etc. People are slowly realizing it which Rajdeep knew all along.
Except Norway, which has prospered under centre of left, but then that wouldnt fit your narrative.

I am centre of right myself, but there is no centre of right currently in the UK that is popular. Reform is not centre right, but the more acceptable face of BNP, NF etc. Maybe we do need a return of those, then the 2nd/3rd generation Asian Reform voters will find out themselves how welcome they are under a Reform govt.

Define patritotism? Is it kicking out immigrants, who actually clean the streets, pick up the fruits, change granny's diapers etc?

Patriotism is working and paying your taxes and not sitting on the dole, just coz its more convenient to be on the dole than working and shouting my granpa fought for this country and he contributed to the pot, whilst I/my kids etc. have only taken from it. Not you offcourse but the general caricature of Reform voters.

If Reformers were patriotic then ALL OF THEM would be net tax payers and not recipents.

Patriotism last refuge of a scroundrel and all that....

No one has said kicking out all immigrants and sit idle all day in the laurels of its grandpa.

I am an immigrant as well and if right wing party comes I may get push too. However, I can't be dishonest with myself for my own personal benefit and have to call spade a spade.

Are you denying the fact that mass immigration is an issue in Britain? I mean board any bus or train in London, you will hardly hear English anymore. I live in what it used to be a nice little town in south coast of England. Within last 3 years I have so much change. Now it is tough to understand whether its a town of England or South Asia. It is not diversity but a mass extinction. Now imagine, being a brown immigrant person I am feeling this....how the local white Brits feel about it?

And I am not talking about illegal immigrants...that is a different story. Infact most of the problem is the legal immigration. Why would a student coming to the UK for study need to bring his/her whole family?

Labour in their manifesto don't even have immigration listed as priorities.

Imagine this, you go to a particular area in New Delhi and you see no Indians. The area is filled with white people and almost a no go zone for Indians. How would you feel?

Now if Brits feel the same way, why they are racists? LOL

#SpeakTheTruthAlways

No one has said kicking out all immigrants and sit idle all day in the laurels of its grandpa.

I am an immigrant as well and if right wing party comes I may get push too. However, I can't be dishonest with myself for my own personal benefit and have to call spade a spade.

Are you denying the fact that mass immigration is an issue in Britain? I mean board any bus or train in London, you will hardly hear English anymore. I live in what it used to be a nice little town in south coast of England. Within last 3 years I have so much change. Now it is tough to understand whether its a town of England or South Asia. It is not diversity but a mass extinction. Now imagine, being a brown immigrant person I am feeling this....how the local white Brits feel about it?

And I am not talking about illegal immigrants...that is a different story. Infact most of the problem is the legal immigration. Why would a student coming to the UK for study need to bring his/her whole family?

Labour in their manifesto don't even have immigration listed as priorities.

Imagine this, you go to a particular area in New Delhi and you see no Indians. The area is filled with white people and almost a no go zone for Indians. How would you feel?

Now if Brits feel the same way, why they are racists? LOL

#SpeakTheTruthAlways
And the truth is this country cannot function without immigrants either, forget the medium to high paying, but low paying. When was the last time you saw an Anglo Saxon Brit working as a carer, or picking up fruits, cleaning the streets, changing granny's diaper, very rarely.

There is a flux of immigrants and legal ones, coz the local population doesnt want to do those low paid manual jobs, offcourse what Reform would like is convenience of having those workers, but not pay for them, have your cake and eat it too.

There is no mass extinction, extinction would mean White Brits being killed.

On the students, have you checked student fees? Its been 22 years since I was a student and even then I was paying 3x of a local student with a MOTA MOTA "no access to state funds" on the visa. UK unis need to be stringent in what they are offering and not take any Tanu Mo Hari from any part of the world and allow them to come and study a mickey mouse degree just for ££££ and the UK govt charging a fat fees on visa and then crying about too many dependants who also paid the visa fees and the NHS surcharge. Cant have it both way, milk the cash and then cry too many folks coming in.

The nice town you are living in, when you first moved in, a few of your neighbours moved out further to suburbs as soon as you landed, now there are more of you, all of them have upped sticks to further out. That isnt extinction but white flight.

There is a fundamental problem with UK it is a low wage high tax country and too many on the dole, migration is a small part of that problem, not THE Problem, but is an easy target to pass the buck.

Keep the hashtags for twitter and there's a difference between truth and opinion. You have an opinion and do I , and truth is somewhere in between.

The 2 horse carousel has thrown off Tories and Labour are back in the seat. Give it a few years of more misery and then they'll be thrown off and the Tories will be back on to inflict more pain on us.

Anyone expecting any major changes is delusional. They're all the same.

Also to put things into perspective, Corbyn has a higher share of the vote than Starmer does yet Star has a massive majority and Corbyn lost.

Expected results.
The 2 horse carousel has thrown off Tories and Labour are back in the seat. Give it a few years of more misery and then they'll be thrown off and the Tories will be back on to inflict more pain on us.

Also to put things into perspective, Corbyn has a higher share of the vote than Starmer does yet Star has a massive majority and Corbyn lost.
Can't agree more. Both the parties are incompetent and this was a competition to see who was more incompetent.

The most significant vote I think has been for Sinn Fein, We can very well see Northern Ireland say Bye Bye to UK and join Ireland!!
====
Sinn Féin is now the largest party across Northern Ireland's councils, assembly and at Westminster.

The nationalist party, which does not take its seats in the House of Commons, has seven seats after Thursday's UK general election, the same number as in 2019.

Its leader, Mary Lou McDonald, said it was time to "prepare for a new future together on this island".

The party came out on top after a disappointing night for the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP).

The DUP had eight seats in 2019 and returns in 2024 with five.

Its most high profile casualty in Thursday's vote was Ian Paisley, who lost the North Antrim seat his father had first won in 1970.

In Lagan Valley, Sorcha Eastwood of the Alliance Party took the seat which had been held by the former DUP leader Sir Jeffrey Donaldson since 1997.

Robin Swann of the Ulster Unionist Party (UUP) won in South Antrim at the expense of the DUP's Paul Girvan.

UK will not let ireland slip so easily. There is still a strong cohort of unionists im derry. If referendum is held and Northern Ireland votes to reunify, unionists would definitely revolt. There could be covert support of UK or direct support depending on whichever party is in charge. At any case, the troubles would begin once again.

UK will not let ireland slip so easily. There is still a strong cohort of unionists im derry. If referendum is held and Northern Ireland votes to reunify, unionists would definitely revolt. There could be covert support of UK or direct support depending on whichever party is in charge. At any case, the troubles would begin once again.
Since Brexit, Irish reunification makes sense not just from ideologically or emotionally POV but also common sense economics. Irish on both sides have been realizing it for the last few years and it shows in every election result. Unlike Scotland, None of the major English parties have any presence in Northern Ireland.

The Irish govt has little interest in N Ireland. The cost to their economy will be huge and they are not prepared to pay it.

Reform has destroyed the Tories. In many places the vote for Reform and Tories is greater than 50%.

No euphoria, no celebration just lots of people happy that the Tories have gone but seriously worried about what is about to come. If the Tories and Reform come together, which is inevitable, Starmer will be a one term PM

Investors put UK election winner Labour on credibility watch​

Big investors are warming to Britain after a landslide election win for its new Labour government but remain wary of placing long-term bets until Prime Minister Keir Starmer can convince them his economic growth plans are credible. Sterling, the strongest major currency against the dollar this year, nudged higher on Friday when the scale of Labour's victory became clear.

The UK-focused FTSE 250 share index, which has outpaced the more global FTSE 100 year-to-date, rose to its highest since April 2022.

But investors said Labour still needed to revive long-term confidence in UK markets that have struggled since 2016's Brexit vote and the chaos wreaked by Conservative former Prime Minister Liz Truss' 2022 mini-Budget.

Left-leaning Labour has pledged to upgrade Britain's creaking infrastructure and solve a housing shortage while keeping spending tight as the UK's tax burden approaches an all-time high.

But credit rating agencies and Britain's lenders in international bond markets are twitchy about public debt that is expected to exceed 100% of gross domestic product.

"They have to walk a tightrope between economic growth and government debt. We have to see if debt issuance is going to rise, and if the economy can expand at a rate where extra borrowing is deemed acceptable," said Sheldon MacDonald, chief investment officer at UK asset manager Marlborough.

MacDonald said he had a neutral outlook on UK stocks but was slightly positive on gilts due to expected Bank of England rate cuts.

After years of relentless outflows, the combined market value of companies in the broad FTSE-All stock index is £2.4 trillion ($3.07 trillion), below that of individual US tech stocks like Apple and chipmaker Nvidia.

Investors hope Starmer and his incoming finance minister, former Bank of England economist Rachel Reeves, will provide more stable leadership and predictable tax and trade policies.

"Investors in New York or Hong Kong would have read the headlines and found it easy to say why bother, it's a basket case," said Toby Gibb, head of investment solutions at fund manager Artemis. "What (the election) does is relieve that uncertainty, it allows overseas investors to invest with more security."

In one positive sign, sterling on a trade-weighted basis is back at levels last seen before the Brexit vote.

Gibb said he expected the pound to stay strong and was bullish on UK stocks. Other investors were staying cautious.

"We know that a general incremental improvement can come from political stability, but we don't know what changes are going to happen," said Janus Henderson European equities portfolio manager Tom O'Hara, whose UK exposure is below Britain's share of MSCI's broad European index.

"You need something more tangible," he explained, "such as which companies are going to benefit from which policies."

Britain has not grown faster than 2% a year on a regular basis since before the 2008 global financial crisis.

Ben Mackie, fund manager at UK-based Hawksmoor Investment Management, said he was also not buying into a UK growth theme.

"The UK stock market and economy face big structural issues," he said, adding that outflows from UK equity funds had been "horrendously negative."

UK business investment is ranked 28th among 31 OECD economies, foreign direct investment has faltered, and workplace productivity is weak.

British pension funds and insurers have slashed the share of UK stocks in their portfolios to about 4% from 50% in 2000.

In June, even as polls moved to predict Labour's historic victory, investors pulled $5.9 billion out of UK equity funds, marking the 44th consecutive month of outflows.

But in one positive sign, big US and Asian investors were asking questions about the UK for the first time in years, said UBS head of European equity strategy Gerry Fowler.

"Interest has become more widespread," he said. "But that enthusiasm isn't likely to be translating into really strong performance in the near term. I don't think much money has moved in yet."

The power transition shows why the UK remains one of the best places in the World to live. No Munir and Bajwa with Qazi to fix elections, no Trump to deny a clear defeat to an opponent and no blaming a religious minority in failing to win a majority like in Ind. One of my colleagues is a Labour councillor and she oversaw the organisation for thr counting of the votes- accepted by all sides because the country has many good, decent people that want the best for their country.

absolutely brusing night for the tories, and even worse for them the initial rumblings over potential replacements sound even worse than sunak, which a low low bar.

labour can enjoy this victory but they are sitting on a political tinderbox, there was only one winner from last night, and that was reform, 13% of the vote is staggering, this is exactly what the french national front got 7 years ago, but the NF had been campaigning for decades, reform are standing on the precipice of completely upending british politics after abt a year of campaigning.

keir starmer must deliver, because the economy is in the same situation it is today, and labour voters are disaffected, they will not be going to conservative, or lib dem, the brexit vote showed disaffected poor labour voters vote anti-globalist, anti-immigration when pushed up against a wall.

the UK is sleep walking into a disaster, if immigration isnt controlled, if the economy isnt sorted out reform will either outright screw the entire political landscape or hijack the tory party.

29 new desi MPs elected to House of Commons, set new record​

The House of Commons will see a record 29 Indian-origin members take their seats after the Labour landslide in the 2024 general election. Labour has the most PIO MPs, 19, of which 12 are first-timers

Labour

Preet Kaur Gill,
who retained Birmingham Edgbaston, was born in Birmingham to Indian parents; her father was president of Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Smethwick, the UK’s first gurdwara.

Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi retains Slougha

Seema Malhotra retains Feltham and Heston

Goan-origin Valerie Vaz, sister of Keith Vaz, wins Walsall and Bloxwich

Lisa Nandy retains Wigan.

Navendu Mishra retains Stockport

Nadia Whittome retains Nottingham East.

Labour newcomers

Baggy Shanker, a Sikh,
won Derby South, a seat that has been Labour since its formation. Born and raised in the UK, his father came to the UK in the 1950s and worked in a foundry. He works for Rolls-Royce. He is also a Labour councillor and had been Labour leader of Derby City Council until June 18 when he was ousted after a vote of no confidence by opposition councillors.

Gurinder Singh Josan won the safe seat of Smethwick. Aged 51, he was appointed a CBE in the 2019 New Year Honours, "for political service". He used to be a trustee of Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Smethwick, where Avtar Singh’s funeral took place last year.

Harpreet Uppal, a British Sikh, won Huddersfield, becoming the constituency’s first female MP. Uppal was born and raised in Fartown and is the daughter of textile worker Lamber Singh Uppal and his wife Satvinder. Her father came to the UK from India in 1962.

Jas Athwal, aged 60, won Ilford South, a safe Labour seat. Athwal was born in Punjab into a Punjabi Jat Sikh family. He lived there until his family relocated to Ilford when he was seven years old.

Dr Jeevun Sandher, 33, won Loughborough for Labour, seizing it from the Conservatives. He was born in the UK and his family is from near Jalandhar, Punjab. Sandher, a British Sikh, leads the economics team at think tank the New Economics Foundation. He previously worked at the Treasury and prior to that was an economist at the Somaliland Ministry of Finance where he co-wrote their national development plan and budgets.

Kanishka Narayan (34) won Vale of Glamorgan, seizing it from the Conservatives and becoming the first ethnic minority MP elected to represent a Welsh constituency at Westminster. He was born in Bihar and moved to Wales aged 12. Studied at Oxford and Stanford. He was senior adviser at the Cabinet Office and expert adviser to the environment secretary. He is a technology consultant who has invested in climate and fintech start-ups.

Another Labour gain from the Conservatives was Bolton North east won by Kirith Entwistle. The 33-year-old British Punjabi was born in Southall. Her India-born maternal grandparents moved to the UK from Kenya in the 1970s. Her father moved to the UK from Delhi in the 1980s.

Another British Sikh, Satvir Kaur, won Southampton Test, a Labour hold. She is a councillor and former Labour leader of Southampton City Council when she was the first ethnic minority member to lead it.

Warinder Juss, also Sikh, helped Labour seize Wolverhampton West from the Conservatives.

British Parliament also got its first Keralite MP with Kottayam native Sojan Joseh (49) gaining the Labour seat of Ashford from the Conservatives. From Kaippuzha in Kottayam, he moved to the UK to work as an NHS nurse 22 years ago and later became a Labour councillor.

Sonia Kumar, a PIO Sikh, gained the Labour seat of Dudley from the Conservatives, beating her Conservative opponent Marco Longhi who had written letters to British Pakistani constituents questioning whether she would represent Kashmir in parliament and underlining her name.

Sureena Brackenbridge won Wolverhampton North East

Tory newcomers

Outgoing PM Rishi Sunak retains Richmond and Northallerton

Former home secretary Suella Braverman wins Fareham and Waterlooville

Former home secretary Priti Patel retains Witham

Former minister Claire Coutinho retains East Surrey

Gagan Mohindra retains South West Hertfordshire

Shivani Raja wins Leicester East

Barrister and doctor Neil Shastri-Hurst won Solihull and Shirley, holding on to the Conservative seat. Born and raised in the UK; his father was born in Vadodara and emigrated in the 1970s where he met his wife, who is British. He joined the British Army as a medical officer. Since 2018, Shastri-Hurst (40) has practised as a barrister.

Lib dems

Munira Wilson
retains Twickenham

Independents

Iqbal Mohamed
, whose parents arrived in the UK from India in the 1960s, gained Dewsbury and Batley

Shockat Adam, Leicester South. His parents arrived in the UK from Malawi when he was three.

it may come to a point where one wonders if its worth staying in Blighty anymore especially in a post Brexit world.

Depends on where people would move to. eg USA and France moving towards hard right governments, Italy already has one, far right in Netherlands and Germany are huge. At least our new steward seems a reasonably moderate person.

the UK is sleep walking into a disaster, if immigration isnt controlled, if the economy isnt sorted out reform will either outright screw the entire political landscape or hijack the tory party.

I agree, Farage has been playing a very long game and he has his eyes on the ultimate prize.

Depends on where people would move to. eg USA and France moving towards hard right governments, Italy already has one, far right in Netherlands and Germany are huge. At least our new steward seems a reasonably moderate person.
Scandinavian countries like Norway, Denmark, where you pay high taxes bur get excellent public services or ME with high income andow crime, ditto with Singapore, Luxembourg, Swiss come to mind. Essentially high income countries.

From a purely selfish pov, I want

Scandinavian countries like Norway, Denmark, where you pay high taxes bur get excellent public services or ME with high income andow crime, ditto with Singapore, Luxembourg, Swiss come to mind. Essentially high income countries.

From a purely selfish pov, I want
From a purely selfish pov, would prefer getting something back for the high taxes that will continue in the UK, at thr moment with a broken health system, abysmal police service, potholes, rubbish state education, not a lot of return for those taxes.

I can’t see how anybody British, with family’s would move and especially those with elders who are all based here.

If you are single / care free and happy to be away from elders / parents then I guess it’s an easier decision.

For the vast majority, I can’t imagine them all jumping ship to a foreign territory.

The Dubai or Saudi or Scandinavian idea is certainly attractive but most wouldn’t do it seriously.

It’s a bit like that ‘don’t say it’ meme, but you can’t help it:

‘It’s coming home.’

We will die here on our sword.

I can’t see how anybody British, with family’s would move and especially those with elders who are all based here.

If you are single / care free and happy to be away from elders / parents then I guess it’s an easier decision.

For the vast majority, I can’t imagine them all jumping ship to a foreign territory.

The Dubai or Saudi or Scandinavian idea is certainly attractive but most wouldn’t do it seriously.

It’s a bit like that ‘don’t say it’ meme, but you can’t help it:

‘It’s coming home.’

We will die here on our sword.
Don't disagree with your post, but would point, more than a few Brits have done the move to down under, to the extent there was a TV show about it.

Yes, difficult to leave family ties etc, but 50 odd years ago the first generation Asians uprooted family ties in the SC for a better life in the UK. It might just be the turn of our and younger generations.

Not to mention during the Raj, Brirs were great travellers, with loads moving to foreign shores for a better life...

Don't disagree with your post, but would point, more than a few Brits have done the move to down under, to the extent there was a TV show about it.

Yes, difficult to leave family ties etc, but 50 odd years ago the first generation Asians uprooted family ties in the SC for a better life in the UK. It might just be the turn of our and younger generations.

Not to mention during the Raj, Brirs were great travellers, with loads moving to foreign shores for a better life...

Maybe you are right, I was talking mainly for ethnic minorities especially. I can’t imagine leaving parents etc or elders or people and places that mean a lot. Perhaps it’s that Dubai lifestyle temptation and what not, UK isn’t perfect at all and it’s a miserable cesspit for the most part, but it’s home. I think the generation which is coming maybe is unlikely to hold the same values we do, but don’t feel we are there yet

Maybe you are right, I was talking mainly for ethnic minorities especially. I can’t imagine leaving parents etc or elders or people and places that mean a lot. Perhaps it’s that Dubai lifestyle temptation and what not, UK isn’t perfect at all and it’s a miserable cesspit for the most part, but it’s home. I think the generation which is coming maybe is unlikely to hold the same values we do, but don’t feel we are there yet
Agree to a large degree, its very disconcerting to uproot and start in a new country, but sometimes sacrifices need to be made, not just for better lives for ourselves but those of kids and grandkids etc. After all that's what the ancestors of 2nd and 3rd generation did.

As I said in previous posts, don't have any family in the UK so easier for me to move, however will say UK is home, more home than India after circa 25 years,but can see the rot settled in and no way to come out of the stupor or may get better.

Or maybe I am now properly "assimilated" and become a pessimist :LOL:

Back