Why are Indians desperate for their bowler to cross the 160 Kph mark?

Major

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
I find it odd that over the years we have seen how the paroosi posters have defended having accurate line and length bowlers, and where some have have mocked Pakistani bowlers for trying to bowl at extreme pace where some posters have even said it to be useless.

Yet, the Indian hype for their new incoming bowlers seems to be quite interesting.

It started from Atul Sharma, when the whole Indian media went crazy and posters at that time claimed that he was faster than Akhtar as he had bowled some really quick deliveries in the nets. But than Atul Sharma vanished in to thin air.

Than in recent months we heard about Umran Malik, a few Joshillay cricket fans went crazy and started to even defend that Umran had been bowling 155+ kph in the nets and will be crossing 160 kph soon in international cricket. Yet, the guy was sent back to domestic cricket after getting hit for runs.

Now comes a bowler called Mayank Yadav, and the hype machine is at it again, where every Indian fan is going crazy and are saying he will break the 160kph mark etc.

Whats with the desperation, why not stay happy with a bowler that can atleast bowl you 150KPh consistently?

To me it turns out that all these three bowlers have the hidden desires of our parosis, who always wanted express pacers but never admitted it. Yet when they see one in India, they go crazy like teenage fan girls.

I find it odd that over the years we have seen how the paroosi posters have defended having accurate line and length bowlers, and where some have have mocked Pakistani bowlers for trying to bowl at extreme pace where some posters have even said it to be useless.

Yet, the Indian hype for their new incoming bowlers seems to be quite interesting.

It started from Atul Sharma, when the whole Indian media went crazy and posters at that time claimed that he was faster than Akhtar as he had bowled some really quick deliveries in the nets. But than Atul Sharma vanished in to thin air.

Than in recent months we heard about Umran Malik, a few Joshillay cricket fans went crazy and started to even defend that Umran had been bowling 155+ kph in the nets and will be crossing 160 kph soon in international cricket. Yet, the guy was sent back to domestic cricket after getting hit for runs.

Now comes a bowler called Mayank Yadav, and the hype machine is at it again, where every Indian fan is going crazy and are saying he will break the 160kph mark etc.

Whats with the desperation, why not stay happy with a bowler that can atleast bowl you 150KPh consistently?

To me it turns out that all these three bowlers have the hidden desires of our parosis, who always wanted express pacers but never admitted it. Yet when they see one in India, they go crazy like teenage fan girls.

Nobody has mocked Pakistani bowlers for their pace. But when certain "fast" bowlers get smashed for 500 runs in a World Cup and their fans still brag about their superiority in the pace department , the said bowler and the fans will naturally get mocked.

It's just the nature of India-Pakistan fan rivalry.

Fans like you were happily mocking our bowlers for being trundlers.

This is just the other side of the coin.

I don't think I've read on here any Indian fans claiming something along those lines , i.e. , desperation for a 160kph pacer. We produce the best batsmen one after the other, having the next in line top tier quicks to follow up Bumrah and Shami is equally as enticing for a cricketing culture that doesn't promote them as easily.

As far as pure speed is concerned, as you alluded with Umran 155kph ( and Aaron earlier for 150+) was quite comfortably breached so it's natural to want more and Yadav looks to have pace in abundance so why not hope for him to be a 160kph pacer too. It's the final frontier as far as express pace is concerned, so why not wish for a compatriot to get there. Strange thread tbh

Breaking the 160 KMPH barrier is the copyrights of Pakistani bowlers? I don't care about that 'magical' number if our bowlers can consistently clock above 150 KMPH. That's more than enough for a team like ours which isn't known to have produced express fast bowlers in the past.

Breaking the 160 KMPH barrier is the copyrights of Pakistani bowlers? I don't care about that 'magical' number if our bowlers can consistently clock above 150 KMPH. That's more than enough for a team like ours which isn't known to have produced express fast bowlers in the past.
Where did i said its copyright to Pakistanis?

Nz has bowlrrs that bowl in 150, Australia always had such bowlers.

Its funny how something that Indians alwyas looked down upon are now boasting about it soo much just cause they found one guy who got 150kph.

Some of the Indians are now even going on to claim that Akhtars 159 was fake and did not happen lol

Like what Mayank is bowling, that is normal for an express pacer..

Reminds me of the saying in Pakistan...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I've read on here any Indian fans claiming something along those lines , i.e. , desperation for a 160kph pacer. We produce the best batsmen one after the other, having the next in line top tier quicks to follow up Bumrah and Shami is equally as enticing for a cricketing culture that doesn't promote them as easily.

As far as pure speed is concerned, as you alluded with Umran 155kph ( and Aaron earlier for 150+) was quite comfortably breached so it's natural to want more and Yadav looks to have pace in abundance so why not hope for him to be a 160kph pacer too. It's the final frontier as far as express pace is concerned, so why not wish for a compatriot to get there. Strange thread tbh
How is it the final frontier? These are word that the indian star sports uses for cricket series lol.

Its the going gaga over pace which i find funny, where on one hand indians deny about it and than on thr other hand go crazy.

Till this day indians trolll haris rauf for his pace and being attacked for it.

Nobody has mocked Pakistani bowlers for their pace. But when certain "fast" bowlers get smashed for 500 runs in a World Cup and their fans still brag about their superiority in the pace department , the said bowler and the fans will naturally get mocked.

It's just the nature of India-Pakistan fan rivalry.

Fans like you were happily mocking our bowlers for being trundlers.

This is just the other side of the coin.
Just in the other thread you go around denying akhtar bowled 159

The OP doesn't know that Umran was clocked at 157kph and in a match and not nets. What is there to defend in this?

The one who dreams of destruction of India talks about desire of Indian fans.

whenever a country has a express bowler media and fans talk about it.

Australian media was going gaga over Lance Morris.

Pakistanis were crazy about Rauf hitting 150k in BBL.

There is nothing wrong in this.

If a 22 year old Umran hit 157 in his first year with a red ball bowler, if a 21 year old Mayank hit 156.7 this year, why will the fans not expect that as their bodies bulk up and action is further refined they will hit higher speeds and even break the rare 160kph barrier.

Where did i said its copyright to Pakistanis?

Nz has bowlrrs that bowl in 150, Australia always had such bowlers.

Its funny how something that Indians alwyas looked down upon are now boasting about it soo much just cause they found one guy who got 150kph.

Some of the Indians are now even going on to claim that Akhtars 159 was fake and did not happen lol

Like what Mayank is bowling, that is normal for an express pacer..

Reminds me of the saying in Pakistan...
No, Indian fans never looked down on pace. It's something we laced until lately. What we believed is what can be achieved with pace, similar results can be achieved with line, length and dicipline. McGrath, Pollock and Hadlee are prime examples.

Some of Pakistan fans are think that Pakistani bowler has copyright of better than India . But things are changed now as indian bowlers are way ahead of Pakistani counterpart . This is the truth they can't accept

No, Indian fans never looked down on pace. It's something we laced until lately. What we believed is what can be achieved with pace, similar results can be achieved with line, length and dicipline. McGrath, Pollock and Hadlee are prime examples.
thank you for admitting that this is what Indians believed.

But do you admit that lately they have been going gaga over pace and are despeerate to see Mayank hit 160?

How is it the final frontier? These are word that the indian star sports uses for cricket series lol.
Mate I cannot help you out with your comprehension skills if you think it's a term used just for a test series:danish. (I hope for your sake you were trying to be funny or something to that effect)

Its the going gaga over pace which i find funny, where on one hand indians deny about it and than on thr other hand go crazy.

I mean everyone will find extra pace exciting in cricket won't they. Until they realise the execution is abysmal, they'll celebrate it. If Yadav goes off the boil like Rauf then most Indians will join in criticizing him. Par for the course I'd say

160kph

Of course you should be excited to break this barrier! Why are Pakistani’s not excited to break the 130sr barrier in T20s as an opener?

India never had real threatening quick bowlers. At least not enough to make a mark on international cricket. Until recently. IPL is helping them find out more of these quick young guns.

But why are they after it. Why do they desire? It's simple. They want to see great quick bowlers play for their nation as well. Just like many other countries. They want what they didn't had.

It's a bit similar to how Pakistan have desired and continues to desire great consistent batters. We recently got Babar Azam which fulfilled a lot of fans thirst for a great batter lets say. But for other countries. Lets say India. They have had many Babar Azams and player/s even better than Babar Azam (e.g. Virat Kohli).

In Pakistan. You will see the country have had many great quick bowlers. But they have been so many in comparison that local fans don't care that much.

Although for Indian fans. Finding quick bowlers is paramount to their claim as being a top team in Cricket. Whenever there's a new quick bowler on the block. All eyes are on him from local fans.

Lastly pace is high octane. In any sports, let alone Cricket high octane is what fans want to see. In Cricket, high pace and high strike rate will always be in love and demand. If fans are not seeing wickets and sixes. The next things they naturally don't want down is high pace and high batting strike rate.

Breaking the 160 KMPH barrier is the copyrights of Pakistani bowlers?
Technically speaking it is a hallmark that only Pakistani and maybe Australian fans (although they don't boast as much) get to boast. Since Pakistani fans are also very emotional (just like rest of sub continent), it's a license to say we have had the fastest pace bowler in Cricket.

160+ KPH has been associated with benchmark pace bowling ever since Akhtar broke the record.

Just in the other thread you go around denying akhtar bowled 159

So where did I mock Akhtar? He has clearly clocked 160 kph even.

I don't think that reading was accurate in that particular World Cup. I don't think he was capable of hitting that speed at that point in his career . If he was, be wouldn't have had his career ended by Ross Taylor.

It's an opinion. You, on the other hand, were hoping that Indian bowlers like Bumrah would get injured before the World Cup by playing back to back matches in the Asia Cup but it boomeranged when Naseem ended up getting severely injured instead :klopp

Wahab riaz haris rauf mohammed sami and a few others I am forgetting.

Shoaib being the best 150 plus bowler.

No one can mock them. Genuine pace. Pace is life.

But yea pace plus bounce combo is ideal. Shoaib had that.

Rauf and husanin were bowling geneuinely quick. I think rauf only got mocked cause he was trolling indian players by saying that he will humiliate them etc.

160 kph is a feat that only 1 in 100 million might be able to achieve. Even the quickest pacers of the last 10-15 years including Steyn, Johnson, Wood, Archer, Riaz, Rauf, etc., have struggled to achieve that. Starc has but like only once or twice? And when he did, he made the headlines. It's a rare feat. I think any fans of any country would be excited at the prospect of a fast bowler who has the potential to reach that number. Especially if it's a 21-year-old who hasn't even played internationals yet. He has the potential to be a genuine tear-away pacer who will only get faster.

I don't know about being desperate, and neither am I Indian, but I completely understand if they go gaga over the new lad. I know we would as well if we got someone like that, but we don't anymore.

Bro, I know you by now, you create threads when you're mad at certain events.

You defo created this thread to spite @Nikhil_cric 🤣🤣, cause he proved India atm is superior and it wouldn't be competitive.

Yeah, Shoaib Akhtar was quick, but Bret Lee was equally as quick, had better control and a longer career.

What a phuppi (desi toxic aunt) thread

InDiAnS aRe ObSeSsEd WiTh 160 kMh
This thread was comvientally created straight after nikhail proved why India vs Pakistan test series would not be competitive and was unphased when major claimed that they haven't won anything in 11 years as cheap shot.

Same with how imad smoke thread was very convientally created and was clearly a coping mechanism for the psl wins.

This thread was comvientally created straight after nikhail proved why India vs Pakistan test series would not be competitive and was unphased when major claimed that they haven't won anything in 11 years as cheap shot.

Same with how imad smoke thread was very convientally created and was clearly a coping mechanism for the psl wins.
Ah yes, good old OP.

A decent 135kph bowler that has impeccable line and length will always be more valuable in comparison to a spraygun 155kph bowler. Indian's weren't wrong in praising their line and length bowlers.

However, seeing a genuine 150+ bowler is always exciting regardless of nationality so can't blame the Indian brothers.

A decent 135kph bowler that has impeccable line and length will always be more valuable in comparison to a spraygun 155kph bowler. Indian's weren't wrong in praising their line and length bowlers.

However, seeing a genuine 150+ bowler is always exciting regardless of nationality so can't blame the Indian brothers. Weird thread.
Exactly! Any set of fan would be excited to see a 21 year old bowling at more than 155 KMPH, specially us Indian fans who have historically lacked such bowlers in our past.

Major thread backfire :ROFLMAO:
I don’t understand the point of it?

Who isn’t excited for a 155-160kmh bowler? Everyone is in the world. I get very excited seeing bowlers like Nortje from South Africa. Or Shaun Tair/Bret Lee from Australia, or Mark Wood from England.

These guys add an extra dimension to the world of cricket. People wanna see a 156+ bowler bowling against high intensity batsmen. That’s the thrill of cricket! It has nothing to do with being happy or unhappy.

I don’t understand the point of it?

Who isn’t excited for a 155-160kmh bowler? Everyone is in the world. I get very excited seeing bowlers like Nortje from South Africa. Or Shaun Tair/Bret Lee from Australia, or Mark Wood from England.

These guys add an extra dimension to the world of cricket. People wanna see a 156+ bowler bowling against high intensity batsmen. That’s the thrill of cricket! It has nothing to do with being happy or unhappy.

All that you say is true. But I think you have engaged with this poster enough to know where he's coming from or the point he's trying to make even though he is being predictably lame about it and failed (as usual).

Obsessed with 'stardom' of someone who leaves no stones unturned in brown nosing Indian players 24/7 at every opportunity he gets?
Are you denying the stardom of Shoaib Akhtar in India?

I do not think any one is obsessed lol They want to beat batsmen for pace which he is already doing. Even of the pitch he is beating. It is good to see.

I think this is understandable, because one of them denies that Akhtar bowled 159 kph.
Life’s not fun for you lately! First an Indian bowler is threatening with high pace, and one Indian out of 1.4 billion questioned if the reading was legitimate in that stage of Akhtar’s career. THAT riled you up so much? Wow! I wish you peace of mind.

So where did I mock Akhtar? He has clearly clocked 160 kph even.

I don't think that reading was accurate in that particular World Cup. I don't think he was capable of hitting that speed at that point in his career . If he was, be wouldn't have had his career ended by Ross Taylor.
I too believe he didn't bowled that fast in that tournament.. batsman able to pick him easily.. he looks tired in that whole tournament..

I don't want Mayank to cross 160k and in the process lose his radar. We already have seen what Umran Malik has become.

I will be happy if Mayank can maintain 145-150k in his 4 overs while maintaining his line and length.

I don't want Mayank to cross 160k and in the process lose his radar. We already have seen what Umran Malik has become.

I will be happy if Mayank can maintain 145-150k in his 4 overs while maintaining his line and length.
In his autobiography, Even akram complained about akthar's obsession with 100 mph mark.Akthar used to look at the speedometer after each delivery in 2003 wc and akram had a fight with him asking him to concentrate on delivery than speed

there would be no hype in india if the fastest bowler was a non pakistani

I too believe he didn't bowled that fast in that tournament.. batsman able to pick him easily.. he looks tired in that whole tournament..

Yeah. The ball in question was easily taken by Kamran Dropmal behind the stumps and it didnt rush the batter at all .

there would be no hype in india if the fastest bowler was a non pakistani
This i agree with.

Even in this thread you can see phrases like Final Frontier being used, or AKhtar being doubted..

All my life i have seen this lot defend medium pace trudlers as it gets the job done. Didnt know our Inidian counterparts were this desperate for pace over the years.

Finally they have started to show it by going gaga over a bowler that vanishes. I hope he has a longer career than Atul Sharma

dont you want him to cross the final frontier? Bas aek he ball ke tou baat hai.

Shoaib Akhtar didn't have half the stardom Indian stars enjoyed.
He is famous for getting thrashed by Sehwag and MSD

In tests Sehwag vs Akhtar

212 balls 177 runs. 83.5 strike rate 59.0 avge

In Tests MSD vs Akhtar

83 balls 71 runs 85.5 strike rate 71.0 avge

The OP doesn't know that Umran was clocked at 157kph and in a match and not nets. What is there to defend in this?

The one who dreams of destruction of India talks about desire of Indian fans.

whenever a country has a express bowler media and fans talk about it.

Australian media was going gaga over Lance Morris.

Pakistanis were crazy about Rauf hitting 150k in BBL.

There is nothing wrong in this.

If a 22 year old Umran hit 157 in his first year with a red ball bowler, if a 21 year old Mayank hit 156.7 this year, why will the fans not expect that as their bodies bulk up and action is further refined they will hit higher speeds and even break the rare 160kph barrier.
I disagree with OP but I think his point is that Indian posters have in the past ridiculed express bowlers and argued that military medium bowlers with accuracy are superior. Therefore, why are Indian posters now forgetting their age old argument and desperate for Mayank to breach 160 when they have in the past downplayed express pace?

Anyway, I disagree with @Major and I think you can’t stereotype all Indian fans under one umbrella. There is a genuine reason to be excited for this even for people who have in the past undermined express pace.

In Tests MSD vs Akhtar

Also famous for bullying Indian cricketers and silencing the whole crowd the way Cummins did.

I disagree with OP but I think his point is that Indian posters have in the past ridiculed express bowlers and argued that military medium bowlers with accuracy are superior.
I don't think any one may have ridiculed express pace .U know op have different objectives so I think counter argument may have been the effectiveness of the "indian trundlers" against express pacers (mostly rauf i believe) .ssa and nasim speeds are bumrah and siraj level only speed.

In Tests MSD vs Akhtar

so you are telling me that, our of everything out there, the only thing Akhtar was famous for was for some innings that Sehwag played against him? REally?

Damn, no wonder why everyone in India was going crazy when Akhtar decided to show up for KKR, it was because they were waiting for Sehwag to thrash him. Oh wait..........

He returned the favor in World cup :) Bottomline is Akhtar was popular. But not even remotely popular like IIndian super stars. Wasim Akram is the genuine superstar in India.
Agree with that. Akhtar isn’t a diplomat like Wasim tho. He doesn’t take passive aggressive comments and hits back. “hoga aapka Khuda mera nahi hai”

Which team doesn’t want a bowler who can break 160?

Even bowlers who hit 155+ are ultra exciting when they’re in flow and bowling well.

They are a big market for cricket now, so probably they want to produce some quality fast bowling talent. To be honest, the quality of bowling in IPL 2024 seems much better than PSL 2024.

Why are pakistanis so desperate for their cricketers to be perceived as ''stars'' in India?

Lol at all these Indians pretending to be tough online. Shoaib Akhtar is treated like a celeb whenever he is in India and we are told here that he isn’t a big deal… yeah ok.

This isn't 1999 anymore. I'm not sure why Shoaib Akhtar would be popular in India today.

It's not like he's good enough to be a pundit on TV considering his volatile, unprofessional nature.

Here's Akhtar's Test record against India -

Ave - 34.50; SR - 61.9

Here's Akhtar's Test record against India -

Ave - 34.50; SR - 61.9
Yes I’m sure the common Indian on the street, mall or airport were frantically pulling up statsguru to see if Akhtar is worth taking a picture with or not. Lmao 😂

Yes I’m sure the common Indian on the street, mall or airport were frantically pulling up statsguru to see if Akhtar is worth taking a picture with or not. Lmao 😂
They see him as a sellout who keeps brown nosing Indian cricketers. Indian fans couldn't care less about such a cricketer who was below par against us.

They see him as a sellout who keeps brown nosing Indian cricketers. Indian fans couldn't care less about such a cricketer who was below par against us.
Common man in India doesn’t think that deep.

All these stats and averages and SRs have their place and he’s by no means a great, but all this sort of statistical talk is relegated to guys like you and me who frequent online discussions.

Everyday people on the street in India will swarm someone like Afridi and Akhtar for a selfie. Star power or whatever you want to call it.

All these stats and averages and SRs have their place and he’s by no means a great, but all this sort of statistical talk is relegated to guys like you and me who frequent online discussions.

Everyday people on the street in India will swarm someone like Afridi and Akhtar for a selfie. Star power or whatever you want to call it.
Bro who wouldn't? Their celebrities after all.

These so called haters would swarm in flocks of they saw someone like imad waseem in the street, with people like major being the first to get an autograph 😂.

It's funny how you know it without even stepping foot in India, while us Indians are so oblivious to it even after living all our life here.

Wasim would be super popular for sure. Imran back in the days, girls used to go crazy for him in Australia

so you are telling me that, our of everything out there, the only thing Akhtar was famous for was for some innings that Sehwag played against him? REally?

Damn, no wonder why everyone in India was going crazy when Akhtar decided to show up for KKR, it was because they were waiting for Sehwag to thrash him. Oh wait..........
They were rooting for AKhtar because he represented their franchise just like they do for ABDV. Buttler. Kohli was booed in Delhi a team that he represented in IPL when he played against Delhi. Does that mean he is hated by India?

Which team doesn’t want a bowler who can break 160?

Even bowlers who hit 155+ are ultra exciting when they’re in flow and bowling well.
It is very very hard. This Burger dude looks very strong. SHamar Joseph is another guy. These guys can break.

March 2, 2003 Headlines in Hindi newspaper in india " Sachin ne Rawalpindi express ko patri se uthara "
From there my cricketing journey started as an fan . :kp
The fact that his fans keep referring to those 2 deliveries to Dravid and Sachin whenever a debate about him comes up speaks all about his 'glorious' career where he took a grand total of 178 Test wickets.

Speaking of Test cricket, McGrath dismissed Lara 15 times, McGrath dismissed Atherton 19 times, Ambrose dsmissed Atherton 17 times, Marshall dismissed Gooch 16 times, Ambrose dismissed M. Waugh 15 times, Warne dismissed Stewart 14 times, Botham dismissed Border 12 times.

Those are what you call achievements. Not those 2 back to back wicket taking deliveries of Akhtar, which any random X,Y or Z could have taken.

Wasim would be super popular for sure. Imran back in the days, girls used to go crazy for him in Australia
Wasim Akram is a legit super star in India. I can't think of anyone saying anything bad about him. Anwar/Saqlain has some following. Inzamam too. But if you go back to the past Zaheer Abbas had a lot of respect along with Asif Iqbal.

Whole topic is a figment of imagination. Nobody is obsessed with a specific number. But there was one number Pak fans were extremely concerned about then there was a jinx thread too :) 194 magic number !! Clock speed measurement varies across the country and period. They usually record 3 speeds and use the average mostly. But in NZ and AUstralia they use the highest number so i heard. So there is always going to be a debate about that. Either way the real pace is how the batsmen feel. Akhtar definitely was extremely quick. No issue with him holding the record. HE looked quick. He was measured quick.
Mohammad sami also clocked 150. But for some reason he never looked dangerous.

It's funny how you know it without even stepping foot in India, while us Indians are so oblivious to it even after living all our life here.
Not that hard to know.

Anyone who has been watching cricket since India and Pak toured each other would know how much adoration and fan following there was of Pak cricketers whenever they visited India and vice versa…

All this downplaying each others players is relegated to online debates mostly. Surely you realize this too.

Heck there were even reports of fans and minute by minute updates on Babar and his team and whichever restaurant they were dining at for the evening in this past 2023 WC in India too lol.

This whole thread has been derailed with the posts related to the stardom of Shoaib and etc etc. The thread was all about India and its obsession with pace.

For topic, people are always desperate for things they do not have. But I think India now has many fast bowlers who can click at least 140-150 consistently.

Surprised at some of the comments . India is a cricket crazy country and so of course they showed Bobby some love when they saw him for the first time.

But this is all relative. Williamson and Rachin got more cheers than Bobby when PAK played NZ here. The Aussies also got more support.

There are plenty of teams and players more popular than even active cricketers like Bobby let alone retired cricketers like Shobby.

They are probably disproportionately popular with Indian Muslims though.

I disagree with OP but I think his point is that Indian posters have in the past ridiculed express bowlers and argued that military medium bowlers with accuracy are superior. Therefore, why are Indian posters now forgetting their age old argument and desperate for Mayank to breach 160 when they have in the past downplayed express pace?

Anyway, I disagree with @Major and I think you can’t stereotype all Indian fans under one umbrella. There is a genuine reason to be excited for this even for people who have in the past undermined express pace.
You can still find Indian fans/experts ridiculing our bowlers with extra pace. This thread would have made sense if the op wanted to point out those who ridiculed the extra pace earlier going gaga over Mayank's pace alas he chose to generalise all of us for hypocrites.

Even now whenever Umran leaks runs you'll find those fans/experts ridiculing his extra pace rather than criticising him for not working on his control.

People want their countrymen to do better in cricket and make new records. SHOCKING.

Back