Arsenal FC | 2023/24 Season

It appears that your comprehension skills are as poor as your football and cricket knowledge.

Who said FA Cups count? I can’t dumb it down further for you. This is the best that I could.

If you read my post again, or ask someone to dumb it down for you further, you will realize that I used Arsenal’s FA Cup record to drive home the point that for a big club, winning FA Cups DO NOT matter.

Arsenal are the record holders for FA Cups but their legacy and heritage are associated with the fact that they have third most first division titles, NOT with their FA Cups.

Similarly, Wenger won 3 FA Cups in 4 years but Arsenal fans were still unhappy and wanted him gone because he was not competing for the league.

Arsenal might finish this season without a trophy but this and the previous season are better than any of the 4 FA Cup winning seasons between 2014 and 2020 because Arsenal have competed for the PL.

You have no comeback.

You have undermined and mocked the EPL, the CL, the FA CUP, and not to forget, Wenger. Now you are using the FA Cup to salvage your contradictory opinions and lack of knowledge.

You have no faith in Arteta, had you done we'd have seen a prediction by now, but I guess we will see one when the final whistle blows on Arteta's season.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have no comeback.

You have undermined and mocked the EPL, the CL, the FA CUP, and not to forget, Wenger. Now you are using the FA Cup to salvage your contradictory opinions and lack of knowledge.

You have no faith in Arteta, had you done we'd have seen a prediction by now, but I guess we will see one when the final whistle blows on Arteta's season.

Negative Ball Knowledge.

🤡
Comeback from where?

For exposing your weak English and 0% ball knowledge in the same post?

The Arsene Wenger example shows that winning the FA Cups mean nothing to big clubs because it is all about fighting for the PL.

As for my prediction, I had already stated on December 3 that I expect Arsenal to win the league. Post #1,534 in this thread.
Liverpool bottled the league in 18-19, learned from that experience and won it the next season.

Arsenal will do the same. My expectation is that they will win the league this season as simple as that.

It appears that your comprehension skills are as poor as your football and cricket knowledge.

Who said FA Cups count? I can’t dumb it down further for you. This is the best that I could.

If you read my post again, or ask someone to dumb it down for you further, you will realize that I used Arsenal’s FA Cup record to drive home the point that for a big club, winning FA Cups DO NOT matter.

Arsenal are the record holders for FA Cups but their legacy and heritage are associated with the fact that they have third most first division titles, NOT with their FA Cups.

Similarly, Wenger won 3 FA Cups in 4 years but Arsenal fans were still unhappy and wanted him gone because he was not competing for the league.

Arsenal might finish this season without a trophy but this and the previous season are better than any of the 4 FA Cup winning seasons between 2014 and 2020 because Arsenal have competed for the PL.

Can we cut down on the personal insults

The whole quality of your argument comes down 90% when you insist on throwing insults.

The whole quality of your argument comes down 90% when you insist on throwing insults.

Very well said MIG bhai. The whole thread salutes you.

The only 2 English players I'd put in the world class category are Walker who has been brilliant for years and Kane who again been brilliant for years

Rodri, valverde, for me are the top dogs in that position.

Valverde and Rice are completely different players.

But if we're going to compare the two:

Last season: Valverde

This season and overall: Rice

Intrigued by the Kyle Walker discussion

For me he goes into the all time Premier League XI as Right Back, wonder where others put him but based on that some would say the Premier League has never had a world class right back?

It takes two and in this case, multiple hands to clap.

Intrigued by the Kyle Walker discussion

For me he goes into the all time Premier League XI as Right Back, wonder where others put him but based on that some would say the Premier League has never had a world class right back?
Walker vs Trent is an interesting comparison because Walker is by far the better defender but Trent is one of the GOAT full-backs in terms of ability on the ball.

Walker is world class though, or at least was in his prime. It is just another rubbish hot take by the usual suspect.

The quality of right-backs up until the 2010s in the Premier League, with the odd exception, was really poor though, but it is a different story in the 2020s.

Walker, Trent, Reece, Trippier, White. These guys are really, really good and better than 99% of the right backs that played in the PL in previous eras.

Bottom line - Arsenal have a regressing Man United and Chelsea (attrition) to thank for being in contention for the EPL title race this season, a depleted Liverpool, and of course Man City without IG and Haaland sussed as a minnow basher.

When Arsenal faced a team in progression, Villa did the season double on Arteta. Less said about the ignominious end to Arsenal's CL campaign.

This is pure Rocky 3 opening - it's all fake until you face a real contender!

👾

Walker vs Trent is an interesting comparison because Walker is by far the better defender but Trent is one of the GOAT full-backs in terms of ability on the ball.

Walker is world class though, or at least was in his prime. It is just another rubbish hot take by the usual suspect.

The quality of right-backs up until the 2010s in the Premier League, with the odd exception, was really poor though, but it is a different story in the 2020s.

Walker, Trent, Reece, Trippier, White. These guys are really, really good and better than 99% of the right backs that played in the PL in previous eras.

I agree with this

TAA is incredible on the ball but he's very bad defensively

He would have benefited from playing in the previous era because he'd easily be quality in the old 4-4-2 playing right wing but no one plays like that anymore and he isn't good enough to play as a modern RW (ala Salah, Saka) nor is he good enough to play CM at the top level

Prior to this current lot Neville was the best (mostly due to longevity) with the likes of Dixon, Zabaleta, Lauren in with good shouts but they aren't as good as the modern day right backs

Bottom line - Arsenal have a regressing Man United and Chelsea (attrition) to thank for being in contention for the EPL title race this season, a depleted Liverpool, and of course Man City without IG and Haaland sussed as a minnow basher.

When Arsenal faced a team in progression, Villa did the season double on Arteta. Less said about the ignominious end to Arsenal's CL campaign.

👾
But everyone gets to face those sides as well

Compare Arsenal's record against the top 6 with City and you'll see that it isn't just a case of them bullying poor sides

Arsenal have been very good this season, they just need to maintain that for this home stretch to win the league (as well as needing City to drop it in a game)

👾
🤡
Not this nonsense again.

Chelsea and United were in a relatively better position than Arsenal in 2019 and they have spent MORE money than Arsenal and yet, Arsenal is far better than them today.

The only answer to this is because Arsenal have a brilliant manager in Arteta who is far better than any manager United have had in this period and also better than any Chelsea manager in this period except Tuchel, who should not have been sacked.

You will have progression when you have a manager who knows what he is doing + is backed by the club in the market.

Both United and Chelsea have failed in terms of tactics and recruitment. Arsenal have excelled at both.

Arsenal would have been where Chelsea and United are today if they had a poor manager. Chelsea and United would have been where Arsenal are today if they had someone like Arteta.

As far as Emery is concerned, let him manage a big club again that is aiming to win the PL and then we can talk.

He had the chance to usher a new era at Arsenal but he showed that the job was too big for him just like the PSG job was too big for him.

He is currently at a club whose idea of a successful season equates Arsenal’s idea of a terrible season. There are operating at different levels with different expectations and different demands.

I just love the burn Arsenal’s revival and progression have caused. It is beautiful.

Villa isn't some team plucked from thin air - Villa are sitting in top 4 and whooped Arsenal home and away this season - the rest are regressing - an Arteta is cashing in.

Arteta's EPL campaign is best described as mutton dressed as lamb.

Prior to this current lot Neville was the best (mostly due to longevity) with the likes of Dixon, Zabaleta, Lauren in with good shouts but they aren't as good as the modern day right backs

Why aren't any of these players as good as modern Day right backs?

Interested to know what exactly your basing it on? Actual ability to defend? Or something else?

What's next current keepers are better than keepers of past because they can play with their feet?

The level of defending whether it be full back and centre back is very weak compared to the past. How many genuine world class defenders are they right now in world football?

Same goes for strikers?

Villa isn't some team plucked from thin air - Villa are sitting in top 4 and whooped Arsenal home and away this season - the rest are regressing - an Arteta is cashing in.

Arteta's EPL campaign is best described as mutton dressed as lamb.
🤡
Villa is a middling club that has no ambition and no capacity fight for the PL. They are happy to finish anywhere between 4th and 7th.

That is their level and will remain so unless there is a change in ownership which results in a major injection of £££.

Emery is perfect for such a club. He has made a career out of managing clubs second tier clubs that didn’t demand fighting for the league title.

PSG brought him and he bottled the French league to Monaco and bottled a 4-0 lead in the UCL to Barcelona. PSG realized the he hasn’t got the chops to manage a big club with expectations and demands.

Arsenal thought he would have learned from his PSG experience and was ready to usher a new era at Arsenal but they thought wrong because he was clearly not capable of handling the pressure and expectations and was rightfully put out of his misery.

Villa is the perfect club for him. He is a second-tier manager and they are a second-tier club.

He extended his contract at Villa because he knew that none of the big clubs that are looking for new managers, or might look at new managers soon, will be in for him.

Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Bayern, Juventus, Barcelona. These are some of the big clubs that will see managerial changes soon and none of them want Emery after he got exposed at PSG and Arsenal.

Second tier manager schooled a first tier Arteta - home & away.

Ushering a new era, barely gave Emery a season at Arsenal and we all know what Emery did to Arsenal this season.

If Arsenal come second place by a point then Arteta fan bois will go into meltdown and blame Villa.

Why aren't any of these players as good as modern Day right backs?

Interested to know what exactly your basing it on? Actual ability to defend? Or something else?

What's next current keepers are better than keepers of past because they can play with their feet?

The level of defending whether it be full back and centre back is very weak compared to the past. How many genuine world class defenders are they right now in world football?

Same goes for strikers?
Good question

I suppose in the past as long as you were a half decent defender you could have a solid PL career, you didn't have to be particularly good on the ball or really offer much going forward (though the better ones did offer something) whereas nowadays offering something from the full back position is almost essential

With strikers I think it's simply the change in tactics, teams only play with the one striker so there's less spots available and the way strikers play has evolved too

Good question

I suppose in the past as long as you were a half decent defender you could have a solid PL career, you didn't have to be particularly good on the ball or really offer much going forward (though the better ones did offer something) whereas nowadays offering something from the full back position is almost essential

With strikers I think it's simply the change in tactics, teams only play with the one striker so there's less spots available and the way strikers play has evolved too

Yeah of course now their is fascination with attacking full backs and ball playing defenders. Football goes in cycles. Go back to the late 80s and early 90s and sweepers were the fashionable defenders (so this is why I don't get this fascination where people think current ball playing defenders is some sort of reinvention). There were a lot more high class ball playing defenders in late 80s and 90s then now. On top of that they could actually defend.

Also defenders like irwin, Dixon, winterburn, Lauren all got forward and attacked and at same time were excellent defenders.

I think in general the right back area in PL history is probably the one area with lowest number of world class or elite players. Everywhere else I think most other positions have been well stock in PL history.

Also look at the 90s to early 2000s most defenders were up against top strikers all the time.

Owen, fowler, shearer, ferdinand, Cole, Yorke, Sheringham, Bergkamp, Henry, zola, vialli, hasslebank just to name a few. If you could defend back then you got found out.

Look at PL now apart from haaland and salah it's pretty mediocre to say the least.

That's why I don't get this era comparisons. Art of actual proper defending is no longer an art now. Less physicality. Plus with all VAR etc. It's less of a contact sport.

The quality of players in PL is as good as it has ever been and the local players are better than ever.

The English players today are far more skilled and technically superior than their predecessors.

Of course, we are not talking about the exceptional players of previous eras.

We are talking about the 400+ players playing in the PL collectively in any given era.

Football fans also suffer from the same “past was much better” disorder as other sports fans. There is no cure for nostalgia.

Football, supporting Arsenal is my only release these days from all the rubbish I see with Pakistan cricket. I just want to enjoy watching this team, not stress too much about why we are not peak Barcelona level.

Arsenal is far more enjoyable than Pakistan cricket. The latter is a waste of time. I will still follow it but trust me it's not worth the emotional investment when you've got the white ball sides led by a mental midget.

Arsenal is far more enjoyable than Pakistan cricket. The latter is a waste of time. I will still follow it but trust me it's not worth the emotional investment when you've got the white ball sides led by a mental midget.

You can’t fraud around in football. The fans are brutal if you are a poor player or poor coach. Poor results as a coach will have fans chanting “your getting sacked in the morning…sacked in the morning..”

What do we get with Pakistan cricket? A rubbish captain and his friends constantly getting passes one series after another for failures upon failures. No accountability. No admitting that the strategy which serves him (the captain) and his best mate only is flawed and isn’t helping Pakistan cricket whatsoever. So I’ve simply had enough of even trying to conjure any real support within me for that trash show where guys like Fakhar Zaman are being forced to bat at 4 whilst Babar and Rizwan have been opening unconditionally for 4 years running!

Arsenal and football is the only thing I have left to support positively. I don’t need to spoil this feeling for myself or anyone else.

If Arteta isn’t good enough, his results will show and he will be shown the door. If Haverts or Odegaard are not good enough, the results will show and we won’t win the league or Champions league ever. It’s plain and simple, you can’t fraud in football like you can in current international cricket where the strong nations are hardly ever fielding their strong sides against Pakistan.

You can’t fraud around in football. The fans are brutal if you are a poor player or poor coach. Poor results as a coach will have fans up your backside and chanting “your getting sacked in the morning…sacked in the morning..”

What do we get with Pakistan cricket? A rubbish captain and his friends constantly getting passes one series after another for failures upon failures. No accountability. No admitting that the strategy which serves him (the captain) and his best mate only is flawed and isn’t helping Pakistan cricket whatsoever. So I’ve simply had enough of even trying to conjure any real support within me for that trash show where guys like Fakhar Zaman are being forced to bat at 4 whilst Babar and Rizwan have been opening unconditionally for 4 years running!

What we also do in Pakistan is cut cake even to commemorate minor milestone even after lost games?

Arsenal and football is the only thing I have left to support positively. I don’t need to spoil this feeling for myself or anyone else.

If Arteta isn’t good enough, his results will show and he will be shown the door. If Haverts or Odegaard are not good enough, the results will show and we won’t win the league or Champions league ever. It’s plain and simple, you can’t fraud in football like you can in current international cricket where the strong nations are hardly ever fielding their strong sides against Pakistan.

In Pakistan, anyone get a free ride. Look at that fraud Ifit. At Arsenal, Zinchenko blagged it for a two or three seasons but has now been found out and will eventually be sold in the summer.

Just saw a clip of Ben White undoing Vicario's gloves during a corner

I was shocked to see that, as I thought WWE antics only happen in Newcastle matches? 👀

WOW - When Arsenal lose a game this thread is at the top with name calling of the manager and certain players etc etc.

We do alright and I had to go on Page 2 of the forum to find it. I find that amazing. ANYWAY

We have a game tomorrow. Bournemouth are in good form but I fully expect a win especially after having almost a week off for the 1st time in a while.

Same team as Spurs I reckon all the way until the end of the Season. Reckon we may see Timber for a few mins if the game is going well. Will be nice

Get the job done in the afternoon

Pray for a miracle in the evening

The life of an Arsenal fan

If we win the remainder of our games and still don't win the title then I will of course be disappointed but sometimes you just got to applaud the better team as it would mean city have 90+ points.

We'll end up with 89 points which will be our highest points tally in the Premier League era except for the Invincibles season where it was 90.

Nobody cares about points tallies as its about getting 1 more point than the team that comes 2nd but at the same time it just reaffirms that we are a good side and the trajectory is on its way up and its only a matter of time when we win the league with this set of players AND MANAGER. Next season I am going to stick my neck out there and say we will do it.
If we don't then Mikel has to move on.

But i'll be honest I am enjoying being an Arsenal fan at the moment as 1 defeat in PL in 2024 and we are now in May just shows how the standards have been raised as that 1 defeat left us disappointed ( rightly so). Such are the standards now!

Not watched any of Pakistan recently. It used to be if Pakistan Won Arsenal would win to and I would have a great day.

Team selection of Pakistan has made me lose heart in it. Arsenal on the other hand have set a high bar.

Second tier manager schooled a first tier Arteta - home & away.

Ushering a new era, barely gave Emery a season at Arsenal and we all know what Emery did to Arsenal this season.

If Arsenal come second place by a point then Arteta fan bois will go into meltdown and blame Villa.

They also took 3 points from City. So if Arsenal do win it then we can also thank Uncle Unai ;)

Not watched any of Pakistan recently. It used to be if Pakistan Won Arsenal would win to and I would have a great day.

Team selection of Pakistan has made me lose heart in it. Arsenal on the other hand have set a high bar.

I also felt there was some strange correlation between the two teams...
But that is well and truly broken....
Arsenal First

If we win the remainder of our games and still don't win the title then I will of course be disappointed but sometimes you just got to applaud the better team as it would mean city have 90+ points.

We'll end up with 89 points which will be our highest points tally in the Premier League era except for the Invincibles season where it was 90.

Nobody cares about points tallies as its about getting 1 more point than the team that comes 2nd but at the same time it just reaffirms that we are a good side and the trajectory is on its way up and its only a matter of time when we win the league with this set of players AND MANAGER. Next season I am going to stick my neck out there and say we will do it.
If we don't then Mikel has to move on.

But i'll be honest I am enjoying being an Arsenal fan at the moment as 1 defeat in PL in 2024 and we are now in May just shows how the standards have been raised as that 1 defeat left us disappointed ( rightly so). Such are the standards now!
Let’s just pray for that one catastrophic hiccup by City. Even a draw by them and us winning our last 3 ties, we are champions.

We play 1st, then city play 2 games before we play united. So yeah Arsenal have to apply pressure 1st

Looked a dive to me but Arsenal will rightly not care, they've dominated the game and I expect it to be a comfortable second half

3-0. Well deserved.

Soft penalty but they should have been down to 10 early on. Seems like studs knee high is acceptable now.

Comfortable in the end. Bournemouth are a under rated side.

Havertz played well. Rice was Rice.
Partey faded towards the end but immense again

Odegaard was class again controlled the tempo.

Saka was normal but got a goal.

In the words of Anne Hatheway... Trossard I love you!

2 to go. We do what we gotta do.

Not bothering with Citeh game. I hardly do tbh.

Probably watch WWE backlash with the kids instead.

Peace ✌️

Thanks to @Firebat from today's game

qIsdZqI.png

Best stadium in the country. Even more beautiful on champion’s league nights
It really is majestic. From top to bottom considering it's almost 19 years old.

Went pitchside during a tour and the pitch is phenomenal. Carpet.

Have to say the Spurs stadium is a masterpiece to.

It really is majestic. From top to bottom considering it's almost 19 years old.

Went pitchside during a tour and the pitch is phenomenal. Carpet.

Have to say the Spurs stadium is a masterpiece to.
I've been to some conferences in the spurs stadium you are right about it being a masterpiece.

I really really hope City fumble this afternoon and Arsenal ultimately win the league.

1. To give the Arabs a bloody nose.
2. Because it's getting boring to see how much they dominate.

But the main reason is
3. Because this thread has been the most entertaining on PP for a very long time. The real battle isn't the league. It's the bragging rights here and for a neutral observer that's been the most enthralling.

Good going Arsenal, best shot City fumble is against Spurs. Wolverfagton have not come to win.

Arsenal pay tribute to teenage fan killed in sword attack​

Arsenal paid tribute to schoolboy Daniel Anjorin, who was killed in a sword attack in London on Tuesday, during their home game against Bournemouth on Saturday.

The 14-year-old Gunners fan died in hospital after being attacked in Hainault while walking to school.

Arsenal were given permission by the teenager's family to pay their respects and applause rang round the Emirates Stadium after 14 minutes.

Fans at the Premier League match also held up a banner with 'RIP Daniel' written on it.

Anjorin was a pupil at Bancroft's School, who described him as a "true scholar" who had a "positive nature and gentle character".

Marcus Arduini Monzo, 36, has been charged with the schoolboy's murder.

Source: BBC

“Arteta cannot manage the pressure of April fixtures” @Amjid Javed

“Havertz will be the end of Arteta” @topspin

:klopp

The way Arteta and the players responded after Villa answered all the questions.

This has been a fabulous season and genuine Arsenal are already excited for next season (regardless of what happens here) and to see how Arteta can improve the squad further.

Fantastic manager, fantastic team, fantastic chemistry. Arteta is not only a brilliant tactician but he is also ruthless when it comes to discarding players that he thinks have hit a wall and will not get better.

The way he has replaced Martinelli in the starting XI has been wonderful. Anyone who doesn’t have 0% ball knowledge can see that he is a poor footballer.

It is laughable to see the usual suspects arguing with me for months that Martinelli is fantastic and Trossard is better as a sub.

Arteta has realized that Trossard is far better than him and he has had the courage to make this tough call. Martinelli will get the Ramsdale treatment very soon if it hasn’t happened already.

The FFP cheats will be looking to spend some big cash this summer because the rise of Arteta’s Arsenal has clearly rattled them. Bring on next season.

There is no doubt whatsoever that Arteta’s Arsenal will win at least two league titles in the next four years.

But but my expectation is Arsenal will win the league..

But but its been a fabulous season regardless of what happens...

Quote the post where I promised to apologize if Arsenal don’t win a trophy this season.

You thought the Havertz signing would never work and here we are.

You thought the Havertz signing would never work and here we are.

I remember you saying "it's not the end of the world if the signing of Havertz doesn't work out". You had just as much as conviction as the rest of the fan base and you had no issues with him playing as a number 8.

I remember you saying "it's not the end of the world if the signing of Havertz doesn't work out". You had just as much as conviction as the rest of the fan base and you had no issues with him playing as a number 8.
Of course it is not the end of the world. Not every transfer works and if it doesn’t work it doesn’t work.

No one can guarantee the success of a transfer. Even Arteta himself would not have been 100% sure that it will work, but the point is that you need to give transfers a chance to see if they work or not.

All the criticism and vitriol lashed out on Havertz and Arteta would have been justified after the season was over.

How can you judge a player based on 2-3 months when he just arrived from a club where he has had a tough time?

You lot were so confident in your ignorance and impatience that you never gave a chance for this signing to work and wrote him off immediately.

I was open to the possibility of it not working out because it happens in football all the time but you lot were not open to the possibility of it working which is why you lot have emerged as fools and all your premature criticism looks ridiculous now.

As far as his position is concerned, it is less about his position and more about his confidence.

When he first arrived, his confidence was very low. It was understandable based on his recent form for Chelsea and the criticism and toxicity of ignorant fans like yourself didn’t help either.

However, the support of Arteta kept him going and he flicked a switch in the second half of the season. Yes he works best at CF because of his physical qualities and also because Jesus is a bum, but you can play at 8 now and even on the wing and you will see a different player because his confidence is so high.

He is extremely intelligent and makes such good runs, he is much stronger than he looks and his body language might not give it away, but he is quite aggressive and takes on defenders and even tries to bully them.

All of this has come with confidence because he is not afraid to make mistakes anymore.

He played in midfield vs Aston Villa and he was one of Arsenal’s most threatening players especially in the first half with his driving runs.

Unfortunately, he couldn’t finish the one good chance that fell for him, but it wasn’t Arsenal day. Trossard also missed a chance from point blank range that he would score 99/100 times.

Where he plays next season would depend on the transfer strategy in the summer but one thing is for certain that he will remain a key player in the team and the fact that he is only 24 means that he will be a big part of Arsenal’s success in years to come.

It has also shown that there is a difference between Arteta, one of the brilliant minds in football and ignorant and impatient fans like you who will be better served ranting on AFTV along with other fans with 0% ball knowledge.

Good or bad for Arsenal?

-------------------------------------------------------

Jorginho has signed a contract extension with Arsenal

Sky News

Back