Arsenal FC | 2024/25 Season

rGUeXvz.png

Trossard / Martinelli off sterling and Jesus on.

Looks like havertz will go into midfield

What a win. What a team. What a manager.

Haters and zero ball knowledge fans in the mud again.

But but but Spurs will beat Arsenal today and Arteta will be exposed for not managing his squad.

:klopp

Great win great performance.

Told you we are a better side. Barring the fact it's a NLD we were always favourites
OK may be not great performance but great away performance.

Jorg did well. His legs go late on but was brilliant.

Partey was good to.

I think Ben White had an off day but still did a job. Such are the standards

Brilliant from Mikel. The shape and how he set-up this team was brilliant. Today showed why we've got the best defence in the league.

One of the best wins during Arteta's reign.

Now that Rice is back. Do we drop Partey or Jorginho? The latter had a good game whereas with the former, the more I see of him, the more and more convinced I am that he's finished.

Spurs had more possession, more shots on goal but Arsenal won - go figure!

Spurs had more possession, more shots on goal but Arsenal won - go figure!

We weren't set up to keep possession.
Spurs have had the most possession in the first 4 games them any team but look where they are in terms of goals scored?

The other thing and I always hated this was the fact we did nothing with set-pieces but was amazed to hear that we are top of that list last season and also did same today

Now that Rice is back. Do we drop Partey or Jorginho? The latter had a good game whereas with the former, the more I see of him, the more and more convinced I am that he's finished.

Great question.
With so many CL group games I think they'll both be needed...
Jorghino's age is against him so both have to get game time and be ready when called upon

^^^
Also I Rice and Partey have a good understanding of each other so for the PL, I think they'll play together...

Maybe Rice and Jorginho for this weeks CL game?

Great question.
With so many CL group games I think they'll both be needed...
Jorghino's age is against him so both have to get game time and be ready when called upon
^^^
Also I Rice and Partey have a good understanding of each other so for the PL, I think they'll play together...

Maybe Rice and Jorginho for this weeks CL game?

Agreed.

I prefer Jorginho but like you said earlier, I'm not convinced he's got the legs to play every game.

Partey's form is very worrying. He's losing all the aerial and ground duels and his passing has been very loose.

The other thing and I always hated this was the fact we did nothing with set-pieces but was amazed to hear that we are top of that list last season and also did same today
Set pieces were poor up until the goal.

But that's another assist for saka

Agreed.

I prefer Jorginho but like you said earlier, I'm not convinced he's got the legs to play every game.

Partey's form is very worrying. He's losing all the aerial and ground duels and his passing has been very loose.
Partey should be rested midweek and saved for City game.

Gabriel needs to just score vs Brentford to complete full set of goals in london Derby games

Agreed.

Agreed.

Remember Mereno will hopefully be available soon too

I enjoyed that game. Congrats to Arsenal fans. Spurs were a bit unlucky. Probably should have got something from that game.

Thought Arsenal had better balance and control in Midfield with out chief water carrier.

However Odegard was missed .

Injury will keep him out for while, then he has to get his match fitness etc as well
Yes but it's a shoulder injury..
I would have thought he could still keep his fitness level up. BUT I'm no expert.

Hope he's back sooner rather then later

Yes but it's a shoulder injury..
I would have thought he could still keep his fitness level up. BUT I'm no expert.

Hope he's back sooner rather then later
Probably the end of October / start Nov would be earliest I think

I think after the city game we'll see us flowing a bit more.

The 1st 3 away games are very tough. We all know what happened against Brighton.

Rice will be back, hopefully odegaard is not out for to long. Sterling as back up for wingers. Merino hopefully after next international break.

Califori to. I think it was always a matter of getting thru the start of the season without city being out of sight. There was a high chance of that having to play spuds villa and city away.

I'd like nothing less than a win vs city. But say we draw we'll be 2 points behind city having travelled to very tough grounds. Not the worst scenario

At this stage of the season a draw would be a more than fine result away to City

They will have a wobble at some stage, you need to make sure when that happens you take advantage, obviously we know they have the capability of putting a run together but that's to be worried about later on in the season

Vast majority of Arsenal's tough away games are in 1st half of the season.

Man city, Newcastle are two out of the next 3 away games, then followed by 5 London derby's away. So performances like today will be needed in all of those games.

I asked this on the champions league thread... You might know @Amjid Javed . How comes Arsenal are playing away in the champions league on Thursday and then City away on Sunday?

Is this a new thing with the format or something?

I remember reading somewhere European teams would be protected with their fixtures so teams playing Tuesday would play the Saturday before instead of Sunday. And Wednesday Sunday.

I asked this on the champions league thread... You might know @Amjid Javed . How comes Arsenal are playing away in the champions league on Thursday and then City away on Sunday?

I remember reading somewhere European teams would be protected with their fixtures so teams playing Tuesday would play the Saturday before instead of Sunday. And Wednesday Sunday.

It's because this season UEFA have decided each competition will have 1 exclusive matchweek without fixtures from the other 2 competitions

It's matchweek 1 for the Champions League, guess Arsenal are just unlucky they are playing the Thursday, think Barca are in the same shoe (a few other clubs too)

It's very weird because this is the only week during this group stage of the competition, where Arsenal will play on a Thursday.

Never change a winning team.

You do realise Rice was Player of the Match in the last game he played?

In the 2-0 win against Ireland, he was involved in both goals. Scored the first one and then produced an assist for Grealish's goal.

Not sure what warrants this kind of disrespect towards the second best DM in world football.

We all know the best DM is Rodri. This is what he recently had to say about Rice:

If you ask me names I think I would be not fair because I will leave some ones that deserve, but I don't know. Let's say right now, Declan I like a lot, what he does, even though he's not the same role I do.

Also, I'm not convinced with Trossard playing as our CAM.
Few players in the world can compare to Odegaard in terms of playmaking, but Trossard is more than capable of playing a creative role because of his intelligence and technique.

He played a lovely ball to Martinelli around the 18th min but of course, the Brazilian Walcott screwed up like he does 9 out of 10 times.

People critize Arsenal for not investing in an able replacement for Odegaard but is not that easy. A top tier CAM is not going to come to Arsenal as long as Odegaard is here and if you sign a mid talent the drop in talent will be obvious.

You do realise Rice was Player of the Match in the last game he played?

In the 2-0 win against Ireland, he was involved in both goals. Scored the first one and then produced an assist for Grealish's goal.

Not sure what warrants this kind of disrespect towards the second best DM in world football.

We all know the best DM is Rodri. This is what he recently had to say about Rice:

You could be right. Maybe I'm over critical. But last time I saw Rice play, was in the Euro final and he was atrocious. Infact Rodri went off at half time and his understudy made him look even worse than he was.

You could be right. Maybe I'm over critical. But last time I saw Rice play, was in the Euro final and he was atrocious. Infact Rodri went off at half time and his understudy made him look even worse than he was.

The same Rodri who recently praised Declan Rice?

The same Declan Rice who is in the Ballon dor list?

The same Declan Rice who was in PL team of the year?

All these people must be seeing something else that your extensive ball knowledge does not see.

And the above is not all English Media before you start.

You know best though.

The same Rodri who recently praised Declan Rice?

The same Declan Rice who is in the Ballon dor list?

The same Declan Rice who was in PL team of the year?

All these people must be seeing something else that your extensive ball knowledge does not see.

And the above is not all English Media before you start.

You know best though.
Ballon dor list?

A proper baller in Jamal Musiala was left out of the Ballon dor list. I'd take the Ballon dor list reference as a pinch of salt

Ballon dor list?

A proper baller in Jamal Musiala was left out of the Ballon dor list. I'd take the Ballon dor list reference as a pinch of salt
But what Graham Souness says is gospel?

Interesting you used him as a reference when he absolutely destroyed Paul Pogba week in week out calling him all sorts.... Still agree with Graham?

Oh would you look at this.... Graham knows what he's talking about right? @aboveandbeyond

I do agree in general. Mainoo is no way the finish article. He's only 19, playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world, he will have his moments.

But what Graham Souness says is gospel?

Interesting you used him as a reference when he absolutely destroyed Paul Pogba week in week out calling him all sorts.... Still agree with Graham?

I never was the biggest of fans of Paul Pogba to be honest.

Fergie was a master of a players profile fit for Utd. He knew his game would not be suited.

CL fixtures are now spread across 3 days for TV purposes, just UEFA cups looking to make more money as usual

I agree, it was similar to how Gabriel didn't complain 😉
While we are on the subject - i am surprised it wasn't mentioned about Joelintons horrendous manoeuvre on the keeper a few weeks ago. AJ calls him useless and I have to say I side with him on this one on this occasion.

Last edited by a moderator:
While we are on the subject - i am surprised it wasn't mentioned about Joelintons horrendous manoeuvre on the keeper a few weeks ago. AJ calls him useless and I have to say I side with him on this one on this occasion.

It was very borderline, one angle looked a red but the other I think yellow card was the correct outcome

He was stopping a quick counter which all teams done but perhaps got a bit too aggressive, even Howe said he'll have a word with him to ensure he doesn't cross the line

He isn't useless at all, technically he's okay but his physical attributes are impressive and you have to consider he's not a natural midfielder, he only started playing as one 3 years ago and that too by accident

It was very borderline, one angle looked a red but the other I think yellow card was the correct outcome

He was stopping a quick counter which all teams done but perhaps got a bit too aggressive, even Howe said he'll have a word with him to ensure he doesn't cross the line

He isn't useless at all, technically he's okay but his physical attributes are impressive and you have to consider he's not a natural midfielder, he only started playing as one 3 years ago and that too by accident
I didn't put useless but my post got edited to the word useless. I used a completely different word

I didn't put useless but my post got edited to the word useless. I used a completely different word

Ah right, lol

Not sure what word it was meant to be then but he's definitely aggressive

I don't think he crosses the line, he'll get involved in pushing and shoving (similar to Timber and Vicario) but don't see him put in dangerous tackles (think I recall him doing it once and getting sent off for it, might have been pre season too)

Ah right, lol

Not sure what word it was meant to be then but he's definitely aggressive

I don't think he crosses the line, he'll get involved in pushing and shoving (similar to Timber and Vicario) but don't see him put in dangerous tackles (think I recall him doing it once and getting sent off for it, might have been pre season too)
Ye no idea bro ....anyway - my point was that he likes to play rough. I promise you the word wasn't offensive lol

Few players in the world can compare to Odegaard in terms of playmaking, but Trossard is more than capable of playing a creative role because of his intelligence and technique.

He played a lovely ball to Martinelli around the 18th min but of course, the Brazilian Walcott screwed up like he does 9 out of 10 times.

People critize Arsenal for not investing in an able replacement for Odegaard but is not that easy. A top tier CAM is not going to come to Arsenal as long as Odegaard is here and if you sign a mid talent the drop in talent will be obvious.

Both Havertz and him (albeit more sparingly) were both used in central midfield last season but they looked rather toothless in this department.

I agree Trossard has the creative capability and IQ to make it work as a number 10 but I think his lack of physicality and small stature is maybe what’s holding him back.

Martinelli did let himself down in the 19th minute when Trossard played a gem of the ball. But let’s also look at the positives, he is the first Arsenal player with:

— More than 5 successful take-ons
— More than 5 possessions won
— More than 10 duels won

in a single game in the last 10 PL seasons.

Finding a decent CAM isn’t easy and this is why I wished we bought Maddison. His form in the first half of last season would have won Arsenal the title. Also, at present he would provide great cover for Odegaard.

Ballon dor list?

Musiala didn’t do much in Europe and missed a lot of games in the Bundesliga last season.

I rate him very highly and for me he’s the best CAM after KDB but the decision for him to be excluded is an understandable one.

I’m genuinely not trying to make excuses for him and the England team but you must realise that he was playing under a garbage manager in Gareth Southgate.

Not sure if you’ve watched England lately, under Carsley, but they look a completely different team.

By no means am I saying Lee Carsley is the real deal because it’s still early days but even a relative unknown like him has given us a glimpse of what a good manger could achieve with England.

Rice will thrive under a half decent coach who knows how to utilise the pace and talent of this England side. We know this because of what’s he’s accomplished at club level in his career.

There’s no other DM better than him when it comes to interceptions and ball recoveries. If you look at the stats, he’s even better than Rodri in this aspect of the game. On top of that he produced 15 G/As last season which is phenomenal for a DM and is perhaps one of the reasons why he’s been nominated for the Ballon d’or.

As for Graham Souness, no one takes him seriously apart from one Man Utd fan we have here. The Scot is a bitter old man who’s well past sell by date.

It was only a matter before Sky sacked him.

lol!!! You love to have little dig at Arsenal and Arteta but lash out when someone does the same against pool or Klopp.

Sorry bro - I know better now for next time

Now he’s gone missing, as expected, after the humiliating home defeat to Forest over the weekend.

Liverpool fans are a different breed.

Now he’s gone missing, as expected, after the humiliating home defeat to Forest over the weekend.

Liverpool fans are a different breed.
haha good point. He loves this thread normally and is very smart the way he throws in little comments to trigger Arsenal fans.

He's probably stuck in a Forest somewhere

Both Havertz and him (albeit more sparingly) were both used in central midfield last season but they looked rather toothless in this department.

I agree Trossard has the creative capability and IQ to make it work as a number 10 but I think his lack of physicality and small stature is maybe what’s holding him back.

Martinelli did let himself down in the 19th minute when Trossard played a gem of the ball. But let’s also look at the positives, he is the first Arsenal player with:

— More than 5 successful take-ons
— More than 5 possessions won
— More than 10 duels won

in a single game in the last 10 PL seasons.

Finding a decent CAM isn’t easy and this is why I wished we bought Maddison. His form in the first half of last season would have won Arsenal the title. Also, at present he would provide great cover for Odegaard.
Martinelli sticks out like a sore thumb in this Arsenal team with his lack of composure and intelligence.

I understand that Arsenal fans have sentimental attachment with him and would love to see him develop but he is clearly not at the required level and didn’t kick on the way Saka did.

Arteta has been more patient with him than he has been with certain other players but eventually his patience will run out and he will get binned.

As far as Maddison is concerned, he is a mentally weak player with a soft underbelly. He has been crap for Spurs apart from the first couple of months of last season when Spurs found themselves at the top of the league.

He disappears for more than half a season and is not even worthy of being Odegaard’s backup. I would much rather trust an efficient, stone cold killer like Trossard than a softy like him.

It is very clear now why Arsenal passed on the opportunity to sign him when they could have easily done it and why no big club in England apart from Spurs tried to sign him when Leicester got relegated.

Let’s hope Ethan Nwaneri kicks on because his potential is huge and he could be the next big thing for Arsenal that would solve a lot of issues thanks to his versatility.

Back