Australia (280/8) defeat England (208) by 72 runs in the 2nd ODI - Seal series with a 2-0 margin

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Australia are leading the series after winning the 1st ODI.

Squads:

England Squad: Jason Roy, Philip Salt, Dawid Malan, James Vince, Sam Billings, Jos Buttler(w/c), Liam Dawson, Chris Jordan, David Willey, Luke Wood, Olly Stone, Sam Curran, Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Adil Rashid

Australia Squad: David Warner, Travis Head, Steven Smith, Marnus Labuschagne, Alex Carey(w), Cameron Green, Marcus Stoinis, Ashton Agar, Pat Cummins(c), Mitchell Starc, Adam Zampa, Sean Abbott, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Marsh

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Jos Buttler says he has no concerns after a rusty England were beaten comprehensively by Australia in their opening ODI just days after being crowned T20 World Cup champions.

Matthew Mott made eight changes to the side that defeated Pakistan in Sunday's final as he sought to use the swift turnaround as a window in which to hand opportunities to some of England's fringe players.

A slow start with both bat and ball ultimately proved costly in Adelaide, the visitors falling to 66-4 early in their innings before struggling to make a dent in David Warner and Travis Head's 147-run opening partnership, which laid the foundations for Australia's pursuit of 288.

Steve Smith delivered ominous signs of a return to his imperious best with an unbeaten 80 to carry Australia over the line, though England did begin to adapt to the pitch to slow the hosts as the sun began to go in.

"Not fussed about the result at all, it's all about the character we showed," said skipper Buttler. "Wanted to play with intent. Dawid Malan a fantastic innings. To get to that score from the position we were in was brilliant.

"In the field we took risks and everyone responded. I'm sure we'll make a few changes throughout the series, keep deepening that talent pool."

Dawid Malan starred at the crease for England with 134 off 128 deliveries to steady the ship and help his side post 287 having seen six wickets fall during his time in the middle.

If not for the 35-year-old's century knock the contest would have long been over before the time Smith sealed it with a six with 19 balls to spare.

"To be fit and perform like I did, it's extremely satisfying after the disappointment of last week - disappointment but also the massive excitement and elation of winning that World Cup," Malan said.

"There's so much cricket coming up and I've got so much to play for still in my career. I still want to push myself into this squad and still want to be at the next T20 World Cup as well."

It arrived on the back of Malan missing out on both the World Cup semi-final and final, England electing not to risk him for the latter despite him passing fitness tests after recovering from a left groin injury.

"We all have tough times in our careers," he said. "Not being able to play the final was probably one of the toughest days I've ever had as a cricketer. That's what sport's like - it's cruel sometimes.

"Understandably the decision was taken not to risk Woody and me, even though we'd done what was needed. I had a few tears that night, you never know how many World Cup finals you're going to be a part of.

"If you're just not fit and not able to do what's required, it's probably easier to take than to pass a fitness test and still be in a situation where you're still at risk and you could still let the team down by pulling up the next day in the second over of the game chasing a ball.

"Mark (Wood) and myself had a two-minute chat. We both were gutted and then said 'it's not about us anymore it's about what the team needed'. It's in the past. We've won the World Cup, that's all that matters."

The win marked a perfect start to Pat Cummins' reign as Australia ODI captain after succeeding Aaron Finch following his retirement in September.

Cummins finished with figures of 3-62 with the ball while finding encouragement at the top of the batting order, which saw Head fire 69 from 57 as he filled the spot also previously occupied by Finch.

"Fantastic performance, a team performance," said Finch. "We came in here really fresh and keen to get back into it.

"Ash Agar into the team, Travis Head, they stood up. Everyone cracked on, it was great. Really pleasing to see classic Smithy. It came out alright today, in that last month or so each time I play I'm getting better."

Wood: 'It's bound to make you a better player'

Left-arm fast bowler Luke Wood was handed his debut in the game and says England's World Cup success has only furthered his ambitions of earning a long-term place in white-ball setup.

"Seeing the lads go out in the World Cup final, I don't necessarily think I needed much more appetite for it but any chance you get to be around it definitely gives you a big appetite for it," he said.

"That's what you dream about as a kid: going to a World Cup. I know I didn't have a playing role, but being around that whole stage and being involved with the lads was brilliant.

"At the start of the year I wouldn't have necessarily expected it, it is a little bit surreal, really.

"I feel already like I've improved as I'm going along. Being involved in this sort of environment, the longer you're in it, it's bound to make you a better player."

Prior: Good challenge for Buttler

Former England wicketkeeper Matt Prior welcomed the setback as a fresh test for Buttler.

"I think it's a really important point, England have had the free hit if you will, everybody tired and celebrating, but hang on a minute, you're still playing for your country, still playing for England, you're still lucky to have that jersey on and you're playing against Australia, the old enemy," Prior said on BT Sport after the game.

"They've had their freebie, they've got to win the series 2-1 now. People will expect very quickly for them to turn it back on.

"This will actually be a good challenge for Jos Buttler as captain, because where is he mentally? He'll be exhausted.

"Keeping wicket is hard enough, let alone having to captain, you've just won a World Cup and the intensity of it and everything else.

"But he's going to have to lead from the front, galvanise the troops and say something along the lines of 'right guys, enough is enough'."

SKY

England need to shake off the T20 World Cup fever and get going.

I still looked for a stream the other day for a few bowls. Nothing like cricket in Australia on a sunny day. Sparse though that's been lately

I love the regular Australian commentary compared to the world cup one. Also coverage is good.

No context atm for this series hence the lack of interest

Preparation for 2023 already started. Already approaching 2023. If anything world T20 has lost its significance moment they decided to have a back to back world T20. Now in 2 years another one. Format is a lottery format. Having it more frequently make this less appealing. Real box office event will happen next year.

Having this series a few days after the final was a bad idea. Australia just off the back of hosting a major tournament, England just off the back of winning it, I'm sure the cricket appetite is finished for now from both players and audience.

Labu may not be able to crack the T20 code. But he sure can play a role in one dayers. He is pretty good against spin and looking very confident on the front foot.

Australia have won the toss and have opted to bat

Teams:

England (Playing XI): Jason Roy, Philip Salt, Dawid Malan, James Vince, Sam Billings(w), Moeen Ali(c), Chris Woakes, Sam Curran, Liam Dawson, David Willey, Adil Rashid

Australia (Playing XI): David Warner, Travis Head, Steven Smith, Marnus Labuschagne, Alex Carey(w), Mitchell Marsh, Marcus Stoinis, Ashton Agar, Mitchell Starc, Adam Zampa, Josh Hazlewood(c)

==

AUS 138/2 (26.1) CRR: 5.27

Australia looked wack at the t20 WC, but look solid in ODIs. Have decent spin options this time around too.

Dark horses for the WC. I say dark horse even though they really aren’t because everyone expects Asian teams to dominate in Asian WCs.

ODI cricket and limited overs as a whole aren’t as condition exclusive as they used to be. We’ll see a variety of pitches in India including those that are pacer friendly. In most countries there’s 1-2 pitches that are foreigner friendly.

Adil Rashid is handsdown the best LOI leg spinner alongwith Rashid khan. The speed variation, line and length variation is spot on

I like how Mitchell Marsh plays the sweep shot. Does anyone know if he is fit again to bowl?
Australia will have some difficult selection decision to make for the 2023 world cup. Probably onely one of Green, Marsh and Stoinis will be in the XI.

Decent crowd today considering it’s such a poorly timed series.

Stoinis is a much better batsman than he’s shown so far. Still remember his epic 146* Vs NZ.

WTm0Ogg.png

White ball batting has gotten tougher in the last 2 years because of that new kookaburra ball which is swinging a fair bit upfront . Unlike the trashy 2018 version where it barely moved off the straight.

You can't play Morgan ball in the PP phase all the time now. Gotta be a bit more dynamic in your approach.

Where is Roooooooot? This England top order looks fragile.

Good to see Vince going well for his fifty. Still a tough ask. Only Moeen left really.

All the main batting gone. Australia have this, probably by a big margin.

Hazelwood bowled brilliantly and created pressure and zampa got the wickets with beautiful bowling this is what pressure can do. Curran's wicket is a gift though.

Where is Roooooooot? This England top order looks fragile.

You’d think he would come back into the side at his familiar 4 position soon enough.

Some of the T20 players in this England ODI lineup don’t appear to have the discipline to bat for the full 50 overs anymore. Incidentally I don’t blame them for this, because there is so much T20 cricket now — it’s what they are attuned to. 50 overs in comparison with 20 is quite a long innings.

The England lineup in ODIs could now have room for all three of Malan, Root, and Vince. Strike Rate in ODIs doesn't need to be off the scale.

England's ODI cricket not as impressive as their T20 cricket. Since the last World Cup, England have lost 4 series to India and Australia, drawn 2 against the Saffers. Only series wins have been against Netherlands, Ireland, SL and PAK at home.

Nothing like their dominant run between the previous 2 Wotld Cups. Considering that the next CWC is in India, where their ODI record is atrocious, this doesn't look good for their chances.

England's ODI cricket not as impressive as their T20 cricket. Since the last World Cup, England have lost 4 series to India and Australia, drawn 2 against the Saffers. Only series wins have been against Netherlands, Ireland, SL and PAK at home.

Nothing like their dominant run between the previous 2 Wotld Cups. Considering that the next CWC is in India, where their ODI record is atrocious, this doesn't look good for their chances.

Whereas teams have often played the same or a similar lineup for the two white ball formats, there now seems to be a bigger gap developing between the needs of a team for 20 over cricket and 50 over cricket respectively, and teams need to adapt.

You’re right about the mediocrity that has become characteristic of the England ODI form, but another way of looking at this could be that their form will improve and they could peak at the right time.

AUS 280/8 (50)

ENG 208 (38.5)

Australia won by 72 runs

PLAYER OF THE MATCH
Mitchell Starc

==

Quite a collapse from England, losing 7 for 52!

Whereas teams have often played the same or a similar lineup for the two white ball formats, there now seems to be a bigger gap developing between the needs of a team for 20 over cricket and 50 over cricket respectively, and teams need to be adapt.

You’re right about the mediocrity that has become characteristic of the England ODI form, but another way of looking at this could be that their form will improve and they could peak at the right time.

I agree with this completely. All 3 formats have diverged significantly and the needs for each are very specific.

To be fair, I must admit that I didn't rate England as a T20 side some six months back but they found replacements for Roy and Morgan and by the time they beat both Pakistan and Australia , I had them as favourites.

So, England can turn this around. But ODIs are a bit more predictable than T20's and they certainly won't start off as heavy favourites in 2023 as they did in 2019.

Australia have clinched the Dettol ODI series over England after Mitchell Starc sensationally struck twice in the opening innings of the chase.

James Vince and Sam Billings' 122-run stand threatened to turn the game back in England's favour but Australia, through Starc and Adam Zampa, held their nerve to seal a 72-run win in Sydney.

Chasing 281 for victory, England's pursuit was in tatters before the first over was complete.

Starc removed opener Jason Roy and Game One centurion Dawid Malan for ducks to enhance his reputation as the greatest new-ball bowler in one-day cricket.

While he was fortunate with a leg-side ball the caught the glove of Roy, describing his delivery to Malan as 'unplayable' would not be an overstatement.

Both sides featured debutant captains, with Josh Hazlewood and Moeen Ali replacing the rested regulars of Pat Cummins and Jos Buttler.

Despite Starc's roaring beginning, Hazlewood's first two overs at the opposite end cost him 21 runs.

But the latest Aussie leader kept himself on and bowled the attacking Phil Salt (23 off 16) with the first ball of his third over to leave the tourists reeling at 3-34.

From there, Vince (60 off 72 balls) and Billings (71 off 80 balls) built a partnership that put the visitors into the ascendancy with excellent shot placement and running between wickets.

At that stage England needed 126 off 138 with seven wickets in hand and the game was on their terms.

The turning point of the match came when Australia's 28th men's ODI captain, Hazlewood, reintroduced himself in the 28th over and snared the wicket of Vince lbw five balls later.

It sparked a collapse of 4-13 in three overs, with Adam Zampa ripping through the middle order with three wickets for no runs in the space of nine balls.

The leg-spinner responded to a massive six from Moeen (10 off four) by bowling him with a quicker delivery the following ball before cleaning up Billings with a flatter, fuller delivery.

Zampa (4-45) is enjoying a stellar run in the format, claiming a minimum of three wickets in five of his eight matches since the August series against Zimbabwe.

England couldn't recover despite a late cameo from Liam Dawson (20) and were bowled out having lost their last seven wickets for just 52 runs.

Starc finished with figures of 4-47 from eight overs – his best return in an ODI in Australia since he took 6-43 against India in 2015 – as Australia took an unassailable 2-0 lead heading into the third and final ODI at the MCG on Tuesday.

Australia's innings of 8-280 was set up by another Sydney special from Steve Smith, who finished on a stylish 94 from 114 balls.

Smith narrowly missed what would have been a third-consecutive ODI century at the SCG following his back-to-back rapid tons against India almost exactly two years ago.

It takes his ODI average this calendar year to an extraordinary 74.00 (the best year of his career in the format) and his one-day average at the ground to an equally sublime 62.86.

While Smith effortlessly glided to yet another half-century without offering a genuine chance, the master batter explained to Foxtel that conditions weren't exactly batter-friendly.

"It felt quite difficult out there. It was reverse swinging after about 25 overs or thereabouts," Smith said at the innings break.

"It was quite two-paced and spin was a bit holdy, a bit stoppy, and then one would skid (on)."

The prolific right hander, who hit five fours and a six in his innings, arrived at the crease in the sixth over after stand-in skipper Moeen surprised everyone with the wicket of David Warner (16) after bringing himself into the attack after just five overs.

It marked the first of 20 straight overs of spin from the Paddington End of the ground as the shorter boundary towards the Members' and Ladies' Stands was protected at all costs.

Travis Head was unable to back up his 69 in Adelaide, miscuing a pull shot off Woakes for 19.

That wicket brought Smith together with Marnus Labuschagne and the pair's partnership, much like their well-publicised friendship, blossomed from the outset with the latter coming out in an aggressive frame of mind.

Labuschagne has had a difficult 2022 in the 50-over format, averaging 22.08 in the year to date, but set the tone with a crisp six off Moeen with the second ball he faced after coming down the wicket.

Smith and Labuschagne compiled a century stand, their fourth in ODIs to go with their seven in the Test arena.

Leg-spinner Adil Rashid was on a hat-trick after Labuschagne (58 off 55 balls) and Alex Carey (first-ball duck) both fell after attempting sweep shots; Labuschagne caught at mid off and Carey stumped.

And Rashid (3-57) also ended Smith's innings just as the local boy was looking to up the ante.

The crafty leggie, who hadn't found too much turn during his spell, pulled his pace back to 70.4kph to which the advancing Smith couldn't clear Phil Salt on the long off boundary.

Mitch Marsh (returning to the XI in place of Cameron Green) hit some telling blows on his way to an even 50 and some lusty hitting from Ashton Agar (18 not out off 12) saw the Aussies climb up to 8-280 from their 50 overs.

Men's Dettol ODI Series v England

1st ODI: Australia won by six wickets

2nd ODI: Australia won by 72 runs

Tuesday Nov 22: MCG, 2:20pm

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/mat...-captaincy-debut-smith-labuschagne/2022-11-19

How will England approach third ODI at MCG?

England's Sam Billings, speaking to BT Sport...

"For more than half the group who have obviously been out here for a long time it is about trying to muster up the energy for one last game. For the players who have had limited opportunities and came in a week ago, it is a huge opportunity for us to stake a claim and be that energy for the group. It’s not every day you play at the MCG against Australia so there should be no lack of ambition."

Aussies are dominating England. Both games have been quite clinical for the Aussies.

It shows England are vulnerable without Stokes.

England bowling without Wood,Archer and Topley is not going to trouble Australian batsmen.

Why is Archer even in the conversation? He’s finished until he proves otherwise.

Wood is obv a loss.

But yes, I wouldn’t read too much in to this loss - it’s very hard to motivate yourself immediately after a World Cup victory.

Back