Bangladesh [322/3] defeat West Indies [321/8] by 7 wickets in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Both teams announced themselves at the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2019 with convincing victories, but have failed to build on to that success.

Overview

West Indies v Bangladesh
County Ground Taunton, Taunton
2019 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup, Match 23
Monday, 17 June; 10.30am local, 09.30am GMT

While aggression with the ball has paid rich dividends for West Indies, their batsmen's shot selection has offset some of that and cost them games. Against England on Friday, 14 June, West Indies collapsed from 144/3 in the 30th over to 212 all out in the 45th. Adding to the woes are injuries to their key players, as Andre Russell and Sheldon Cottrell could bowl only five overs between them before leaving the field on Friday.

Bangladesh's success in the tournament so far has revolved around Shakib Al Hasan's contributions with the bat at No.3. The bowling succumbed to the pressure created by England in Cardiff and failed to create enough wicket-taking opportunities, conceding 386/6 in the allotted 50 overs. Mashrafe Mortaza will hope for a much-improved performance against a powerful Windies line-up, and lead the efforts himself.

While playing conditions in Taunton favour West Indies more, Bangladesh would draw confidence from their success over Jason Holder's men in recent times. With both teams currently locked at three points each, there's little room for complacency in the all-important fixture on Monday.

Key Players

Shai Hope (West Indies): The wicket-keeper batsman averages a staggering 94.57 against Bangladesh, almost twice his overall career average of 49.72. West Indies, who lost to Australia and England due to lack of partnerships with the bat, need someone to play a long innings - who better than Shai Hope to do that?

Mushfiqur Rahim (Bangladesh): A key middle-order batsman, Mushfiqur, along with Shakib, laid the foundation for Bangladesh's win over South Africa with a steady innings of 78. Mushfiqur, who has scored five half-centuries in his last ten outings against West Indies, averaging 63.71 in that time, will aim for a big innings on Monday.

Conditions

A fine start to the day is expected, with early sunshine, followed by partly cloudy intervals thereafter. With the sun expected to stay out for the most part, and the boundaries at Tauton featuring short dimensions, a high-scoring game could be on the cards.

Squads:

West Indies: Jason Holder (c), Fabian Allen, Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel, Shimron Hetmyer, Evin Lewis, Nicholas Pooran, Andre Russell, Carlos Brathwaite, Sheldon Cottrell, Chris Gayle, Shai Hope (wk), Ashley Nurse, Kemar Roach, Oshane Thomas

Bangladesh: Mashrafe Mortaza (capt), Abu Jayed, Liton Das (wk), Mahmudullah, Mehidy Hasan, Mohammad Mithun (wk), Mohammad Saifuddin, Mosaddek Hossain, Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), Mustafizur Rahman, Rubel Hossain, Sabbir Rahman, Shakib Al Hasan, Soumya Sarkar, Tamim Iqbal

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1247098

West Indies v Bangladesh
• Bangladesh have won six of their last seven men’s ODIs against West Indies, including each
of their last four in a row.
• West Indies have won all three of their completed ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup clashes with
Bangladesh, those matches coming in 1999, 2007 and 2011.
• Bangladesh have lost their last two completed ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup fixtures, they’ve
not lost three in a row in the same World Cup since losing their final three games of the 2007
edition, the last of those three defeats coming against West Indies.
• West Indies have lost six of their last seven ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup fixtures when they’ve
lost the toss, their one positive result in this time a win against Pakistan in 2015.
• This will be the first men’s ODI that either West Indies or Bangladesh have played at The
County Ground in Taunton.
• Tamim Iqbal has scored 885 runs against West Indies and is indeed the leading run scorer
from either side in the history of this men’s ODI fixture; Shai Hope is West Indies’ leading scorer
against Bangladesh, scoring 662 runs in nine innings at an average of 94.6.
• Andre Russell (West Indies) has an ODI batting strike rate of 130.6, the best of any batsman
from any country to score 500+ runs in the format.
• Shimron Hetmyer (West Indies) needs 34 runs to reach 1,000 in ODIs, he averages 40.3 with
the bat so far in his career.
• Mustafizur Rahman (Bangladesh) is set to play his 50th ODI, he already has 87 wickets to his
name at an average of 23.4, this average is the best of anyone to take more than five
wickets for Bangladesh.
• Shakib Al Hasan (5,977) requires 23 more runs to become the second player to score 6,000
men’s ODI runs for Bangladesh after Tamim Iqbal (6,695).

4 straight win for BD against WI . I hope it is a spicy pitch at Taunton .

Need to win the toss. Captain lost two tosses against SAF & NZ, then won against Poms :(. He needs to win toss against WIN, PAK & Aussies and make it even out with loss against Indians & Afghans. I am afraid, it’ll happen exactly opposite😩

Need to win the toss. Captain lost two tosses against SAF & NZ, then won against Poms :(. He needs to win toss against WIN, PAK & Aussies and make it even out with loss against Indians & Afghans. I am afraid, it’ll happen exactly opposite��

I think this match is crucial for both Windies and Bangladesh as it will decide one team's chances of still having a semi final shot.

I know in PP, Pakistan will have a semi final shot, even if we lose to South Africa by every teams' game rained off and Sarfraz motivating his troops like "cornered tigers" but that is beside the point.

Do you agree whoever loses this match, would lose the race to semi finals?

No doubt that this match is somewhat of a do or die match for both sides.

Bangladesh needs to win today if they want to go to the next round. There is NO ALTERNATIVE to winning today. We lose and we can kiss our semi final hopes goodbye. Win and we are still alive in this competition.

In normal circumstances I would back Bangladesh to beat West Indies. But West Indies have some fire in their belly. Should be a great contest.

Mithun out Rubel in. Would be a good start. Lack of pace is undoing for BD. Got to have the option in yout armoury.

My XI:
Tamim
Soumya
Shakib
Mushfiqur
Mehidy
Mossadekk
Mahmudullah
Saifuddin
Mashrafe
Rubel
Mustafizur

Mehidy is not a slogger, not a big hitter, he was batting in the top 4 under 19 days. So give the lad a chance in the top 5. Finishers are Mossadekk, Mahmudullah and Saifuddin. There’s plenty of bowling options, bringing in Rubel is important. Mithun adds no value to what’s already enough batters in the XI.

I think this match is crucial for both Windies and Bangladesh as it will decide one team's chances of still having a semi final shot.

I know in PP, Pakistan will have a semi final shot, even if we lose to South Africa by every teams' game rained off and Sarfraz motivating his troops like "cornered tigers" but that is beside the point.

If BD loses, they are completely out. They get nervous against Aus big names players and have Zero chance against them. However, with WI even if they lose, they still have the fire power to beat NZ, IND, SRL. AFG would just be formality.

I think BD will also will give a back door chance for RSA since they are still a capable team.

Most of the openers are giving other teams huge boost like Roy, Finch, Sharma, etc.

Tamim and Soumya so far has been failures. They need to step up big if BD wants to win today.

Bangladesh could go this way as well by taking Mehidy out bringing in Rubel in his place and Liton Das or Sabbir Rahman in place of Mithun. Having Mossadekk gives you an option with off spin, and can give BD 4-5 overs, on a good day full 10! Mehidy hasn’t done anything with the bat, bowling hasn’t been so good either.

Most of the openers are giving other teams huge boost like Roy, Finch, Sharma, etc.

Tamim and Soumya so far has been failures. They need to step up big if BD wants to win today.

Soumya hasn’t been failure entirely. He is the one charged South Africa well and gave that flying start and pumped the team up. But Tamim has been poor at WC’s in general.

I’d like to see the Soumya and Liton partnership at the top. Two fearless youngsters going hard it after few overs. If Tamim fails today he must be dropped. Or Tamim can bat at 5 for a change.

Bangladesh could go this way as well by taking Mehidy out bringing in Rubel in his place and Liton Das or Sabbir Rahman in place of Mithun. Having Mossadekk gives you an option with off spin, and can give BD 4-5 overs, on a good day full 10! Mehidy hasn’t done anything with the bat, bowling hasn’t been so good either.
They have not figured out their team combination properly have they? Mehidy and Saifudin will play because they do bring in that x-factor. So, only change, Mithun OUT Rubel IN.

Sarkar
Liton
Tamim
Mushi
Shakib
Mahmudullah
Mosaddek
Mashrafe
Mehidy
Fizz
Saifuddin

Actually I think all 3 of saifuddin , rubel and Abu jayed are crap. That too with Mashrafe bowling 75 mph pies. BD have to bat first. Chasing has anyway proven to be very difficult in this world cup and the last thing you want Gayle and co. smash the bowlers upfront. Need to bat first and score 320. I don't think BD have any chance chasing a score.

If BD loses, they are completely out. They get nervous against Aus big names players and have Zero chance against them. However, with WI even if they lose, they still have the fire power to beat NZ, IND, SRL. AFG would just be formality.

I think BD will also will give a back door chance for RSA since they are still a capable team.
India? Well. ..

The good thing is that weather is good. Another good thing for Bd is that Russel may not play today's match. Bd need to win this match.

Bangladesh win the toss, opt to ball first.

sqd.jpg

Last edited:
Bangladesh come on you guys can win this one.

Here’s hoping for a cracker of a match.

BD bowling looks so weak. Rubel should have been brought in place of Mithun. We need an extra bowler, not batsman

Just rushed back from a haircut at Kurdish barber who takes an age to cut. And can’t believe it they opted to bat and there’s no Rubel!!! Wth are they trying to archive and proof with two military mediums? You effing need some pace options in England!! Rubel has been their best bowler in the middle overs. Mashrafee is khet. I hope Windies am smashes them. Go windies!

Actually , after seeing the pitch, I think windies are favourites here regardless of what mash chose to do. This pitch will have enough for Thomas, Gabriel and Russell if they bowl first but not much for BD pacers. Advantage windies either way I suppose.

Just rushed back from a haircut at Kurdish barber who takes an age to cut. And can’t believe it they opted to bat and there’s no Rubel!!! Wth are they trying to archive and proof with two military mediums? You effing need some pace options in England!! Rubel has been their best bowler in the middle overs. Mashrafee is khet. I hope Windies am smashes them. Go windies!

I also think so. We are done in this match.

I’ve followed BD well since early 00s especially 2003 wc, more closely in the late 00s and post 2010, this mentality of theres in this world cup is a backward step. This same guy mashrafee decided to play 4-5 pacers at home in asia cup 2016, 2015 minimum 3 pacers always been in the side. Rubel has very well in the middle overs since 2015 wc. But all of a sudden they think they have two world class slow mediums and no need for proper decent pace.

Khet mindset, khet captain who has lost his mind and body. been great servant for Bangladesh cricket, I myself was his big fan but every good things comes to an end and I’ll be happy when he is gone after the wc.

Fool me once You’re the fool Fool me twice I am 100 kph MP Mashrafee Mortaza. Gonna order some burgers and milk shake :inzi

Time for Gayle to make these trundlers retire :gayle

Actually , after seeing the pitch, I think windies are favourites here regardless of what mash chose to do. This pitch will have enough for Thomas, Gabriel and Russell if they bowl first but not much for BD pacers. Advantage windies either way I suppose.

They aren’t favourites. BD has beaten windies 7 times out of the last 9. They know windies well, have faced Tomas before anyone else has. I don’t know how you came up with the favourites tag. Have you ever watched the recent bd v windies games home or away? Or did it just come out from you for the sake of it?

They aren’t favourites. BD has beaten windies 7 times out of the last 9. They know windies well, have faced Tomas before anyone else has. I don’t know how you came up with the favourites tag. Have you ever watched the recent bd v windies games home or away? Or did it just come out from you for the sake of it?

Well they are mighty favourites according to bookies

BD bowling is weak, without Rubel. There’s no threat, only fizz is capable of 140 but Rubel is capable of 145 on these pitches. Last wc rubel was the fastest bowler on show between bd v eng QF, he bowled 147kph!!

Bangladesh slow mediums will play it in the hands of Gayle and co. Makes it so much easier to play gentle bowling than a slingy action bowler who can generate decent pace.

Mashrafe Mortaza to Gayle, no run, length, doesn't really come on to him, as he hits it hard back down the wicket. Bowled at 124kph

From Cricinfo

MP Shaheb is generating some heavy pace :odoyo

They are swinging. Pakistani bowlers couldn’t do that here

Big wicket. Those who said there was no gayle in ireland series lmao

Shay Hope is a bigger threat to BD.

Good start by desh, if they win this then they have a realistic chance of going through to semis. Need to win 3 out of next 4 games :)

Turning out to be a good decision by Mortaza to bowl first. Good start so far

It will be another one sided match. Highly doubt WI can play even 45 overs.

Why is the sleep fielder so back. He is just bowling 79-81 mph. Come up few yards yo!

Mustafiz has lost his zip, got away last over, other teams could have scored 15 runs

Mashrafee 9 runs in 5 overs!!!!! What a bowler!!!!! BD will miss his captaincy and economic bowling.

Mashrafee 9 runs in 5 overs!!!!! What a bowler!!!!! BD will miss his captaincy and economic bowling.

No doubt mashrafe at his best is very economical, and his leadership is excellent but I feel of late maybe mp roles and other off cricket stuffs got to his mind and plus the body seems like is giving up fast, but then again even one leg Mashrafe is still best seam up new ball bowler for BD, at his good!

Bangladesh need wickets! Need to get these two out they are well set!

Windies playing normal ODI not T20’s yet. But fet these two out, expose their middle order.

[MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] why no Rubel? I thought he was a good option with pace and reverse?

Game is lost when we decided to field first

I think, Mash has a target in mind - kept Shakib for later overs rather than trying to get Hope out, now brought Mossadek. Could back fire, because if wickets at hand, WIN can go ballistic & score 170 in last 15 overs. Don't think Mash has set a target much over 275:(

[MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] why no Rubel? I thought he was a good option with pace and reverse?

WIN has 5-6 lefti in line-up, needs two offie. I think, playing XI is fine, now need to drop Shakib at 5 & open with Liton.

I think, whoever even wins the game won't make it. We blew our chances against Kiwis. But today WIN is favorites and since their NRR is better, got a point from SAF as well - if they win, which they should, might end at 5th or even 4th spot, 5th is most likely.

Sensible batting by this pair. Have to say great commitment shown by Bangladeshi boys in the field

bad decision to not have him. Mosaddek is an offspinner, but Rubel provides variety with genuine pace, something which no other bowler is offering.

He would also provide a breakthrough option at such a stage when the batsmen are settled

Hard to believe Nicolas Pooran has only played 5 ODIs. Really hope to see him blossom at international level.

Bangladesh need to get shay hope out. He has an excellent record against BD in LOI’s.

Back