England (371) defeat West Indies (121 & 136) by an inning and 114 runs to win the 1st Test match and lead the 3-match series 1-0

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
England name XI for the first Rothesay Men's Test against West Indies

England have announced their XI for the first Rothesay Men's Test match against the West Indies, starting at Lord's on Wednesday, 10 July.

Surrey duo Gus Atkinson and Jamie Smith will make their Test debuts.

Somerset spinner Shoaib Bashir will play his first Test match in England after debuting in India earlier this year.

Warwickshire seamer Chris Woakes returns to the XI for the first time since last summer's Ashes series against Australia.

England Playing XI for 1st Test:

1. Zak Crawley
2. Ben Duckett
3. Ollie Pope
4. Joe Root
5. Harry Brook
6. Ben Stokes *
7. Jamie Smith + (Debut)
8. Chris Woakes
9. Gus Atkinson (Debut)
10. Shoaib Bashir
11. James Anderson

West Indies Squad playing XI for the 1st Test

Kraigg Brathwaite (c)
Mikyle Louis (debut)
Kirk McKenzie
Alick Athanaze
Kavem Hodge
Jason Holder
Joshua Da Silva (wk)
Alzarri Joseph
Gudakesh Motie
Shamar Joseph
J ayden Seales

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Last edited by a moderator:
WI haven't won a Test series in England since 1988 (incidentally the last time they won a Test at Lord's) but they can take inspiration from the Gabba win vs Australia, one of the most difficult venues in the world, and winning a Test here in 2017 and 2020.

Dare I say, I think their pace attack right now is more settled than England's with Joseph, Joseph, Seales and Holder. However losing Roach to injury is a massive blow with his experience especially in these conditions.

The batting lineup is as usual Comedy Central with much reliance on Kraigg Brathwaite to shoulder the burden.

Meanwhile England are in transition with Broad retiring last year, Anderson's imminent exit and Robinson's omission meaning a dearth of experience in bowling. This may well be Woakes' last summer too. The India drubbing may also force a moderation of their ultra aggressive batting.

Weather forecast looks decent but possibly some rain on Day 3 after Tea. Hoping for a cracking series.

West Indies team look very very pathetic. They struggle even against County Select XI.

Test cricket is very low quality when WI/PAK/SL/BD play

People talk about Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi or the Undertaker where does Anderson rank as a sports personality in terms of longevity. 21 years of international cricket at highest level and he didn't care about slambang T20s.

A feat which will never be repeated again for sure, 2003-2024 the whole world has transformed, school kids now have their own kids. James Anderson is a phenomenon.

How many bowling partners he had , Hoggard to SideBottom, Jones , Flintoff , Tremlett, Broad, Finn , Woakes , how many captains he played under Nasser to Strauss- to Cook to Root to Stokes amazing but never got involved in politics and controversy. Kudos to ECB for managing his career and making sure he didn't ruined himself for the lust of T20 leagues.

How many great batsmen he has bowled against, From Hayden, Sachin,Lara ,Kallis, YK ,Dravid, Amla, Ponting , AB, Clarke, Hussey, Moyo, G Smith, S Smith, Pujara and the Great Kohli.

Hopefully British syllabus will have a chapter on him for upcoming generations. ICC should give him an ambassador role to promote and protect Test cricket.
Anderson in his farewell series will not make his family proud but also a monumental achievement for players particularly fast bowlers around the world. In this era, where bowlers are very fragile and injury prone Anderson is the perfect role model.

England bowling attack is average but still its too much for westindies .

England bowling attack is average but still its too much for westindies .

In English conditions with Dukes , this is not average . It's quality attack.

Anderson considered great only because of bullying with Dukes ball

Very good bowler otherwise but often without impact.

West Indies look very inexperienced. Might pull of a shock result but highly unlikely.

WI haven't won a Test series in England since 1988 (incidentally the last time they won a Test at Lord's) but they can take inspiration from the Gabba win vs Australia, one of the most difficult venues in the world, and winning a Test here in 2017 and 2020.

Dare I say, I think their pace attack right now is more settled than England's with Joseph, Joseph, Seales and Holder. However losing Roach to injury is a massive blow with his experience especially in these conditions.

The batting lineup is as usual Comedy Central with much reliance on Kraigg Brathwaite to shoulder the burden.

Meanwhile England are in transition with Broad retiring last year, Anderson's imminent exit and Robinson's omission meaning a dearth of experience in bowling. This may well be Woakes' last summer too. The India drubbing may also force a moderation of their ultra aggressive batting.

Weather forecast looks decent but possibly some rain on Day 3 after Tea. Hoping for a cracking series.
With Anderson retiring, their pace attack looks very inexperienced. Woakes will basically be the leader I guess. And he is useless outside England. It's surprising how they have groomed no one to fully replace Anderson and Broad. Why has Ollie Robinson been dropped though? I mean I know he's rubbish and will probably be exposed outside England soon, but his numbers so far are pretty good. Matthew Potts, Josh Tongue, Saqib Mahmood didn't do anything wrong to get dropped too.

I am glad though that they have given Gus Atkinson a debut. He is really someone for the future. Hopefully a better version Mark Wood.

West Indies team look very very pathetic. They struggle even against County Select XI.

Test cricket is very low quality when WI/PAK/SL/BD play
This same West Indies team beat Australia at Brisbane earlier this year so I would put some respect next to their name. Clearly you are not watching enough test cricket to make the statement you made.

This same West Indies team beat Australia at Brisbane earlier this year so I would put some respect next to their name. Clearly you are not watching enough test cricket to make the statement you made.

Shamaar bowled all time spell with pink ball.

Repeat performance can't happen every time.

Shamaar bowled all time spell with pink ball.

Repeat performance can't happen every time.
They batted pretty well too. You can't fluke a test match win. They have talented players that are not afflicted with the same demons of failure as their predecessors. There is no reason why they can't make West Indies a better team. Far worse West Indies teams have won tests against England on the last couple of tours.

They batted pretty well too. You can't fluke a test match win. They have talented players that are not afflicted with the same demons of failure as their predecessors. There is no reason why they can't make West Indies a better team. Far worse West Indies teams have won tests against England on the last couple of tours.

Not saying fluke. But mostly won't compete in Tests cricket.

Their batters even average <33 in low quality West Indies domestic.

How can they compete in England consistently?

They have more talent in white ball.

With Anderson retiring, their pace attack looks very inexperienced. Woakes will basically be the leader I guess. And he is useless outside England. It's surprising how they have groomed no one to fully replace Anderson and Broad. Why has Ollie Robinson been dropped though? I mean I know he's rubbish and will probably be exposed outside England soon, but his numbers so far are pretty good. Matthew Potts, Josh Tongue, Saqib Mahmood didn't do anything wrong to get dropped too.

I am glad though that they have given Gus Atkinson a debut. He is really someone for the future. Hopefully a better version Mark Wood.
So doing some digging and it appears England management are LIVID with Ollie Robinson. His poor fitness, namely his glass back, has been a long-standing issue and they don't feel he's worked hard enough on it. They were also unhappy that he launched a podcast while on tour when his team was getting hammered in India :ROFLMAO:

Potts is in the squad but Tongue is injured and Mahmood is still on road to recovery after suffering a stress fracture last year.

So doing some digging and it appears England management are LIVID with Ollie Robinson. His poor fitness, namely his glass back, has been a long-standing issue and they don't feel he's worked hard enough on it. They were also unhappy that he launched a podcast while on tour when his team was getting hammered in India :ROFLMAO:

Potts is in the squad but Tongue is injured and Mahmood is still on road to recovery after suffering a stress fracture last year.
Yeah somehow that all checks out with Robinson. He seems like one of those players that thinks too highly of himself. I remember he got into trouble a year or so back too when some old, racist tweets of his came out. Personally, I don't get it with him. He seems like the type of bowler that would get smashed in most parts of the world. And now he won't even have Anderson and Broad to do all the heavy lifting.

I think he recently broke the record for most numbers of runs conceded in a single over in county cricket so that can't help his chances either lol.

Not saying fluke. But mostly won't compete in Tests cricket.

Their batters even average <33 in low quality West Indies domestic.

How can they compete in England consistently?

They have more talent in white ball.
Alick Athanze, Kirk McKenzie, Tagnerine Chanderpaul are talented cricketers. Give them a chance to prove themselves before passing judgments on them. Not everything is about numbers when you are this young and just starting out in your professional career.

Alick Athanze, Kirk McKenzie, Tagnerine Chanderpaul are talented cricketers. Give them a chance to prove themselves before passing judgments on them. Not everything is about numbers when you are this young and just starting out in your professional career.

Tagenarine almost 28 year old. Athanaze turning 26 this year I think.

At such age , you need number and performance.

Skill level is OK for 20-22 year old but at such age, skill is low.

Anyways, I like Windies player. Hope they prove my prediction wrong. :D

West Indies defeated Australia in australia in a match. You cannot keep these guys away from this match, they can win this one.

Shamar Joseph speaking to reporters ahead of the 1st Test match against England:

“He is such an amazing player. Someone I have looked up to. Someone who is very good at this level. You could say he’s perfect because he has a lot of wickets at this level. Definitely, I would want to ruin that farewell for him,”

“I’m excited to be here. England is known for a good fast bowling,”

“Oh they’re great. Watching a lot of the Ashes with great fast bowlers, Jofra Archer, Mitchell Starc, all the great fast bowlers come out here and do well. that’s something I would want to do as well,”

“Since our last tour of Australia, we maintain our energy. That’s the mindset we come into this series with (that West Indies can compete against England),”​

England changes made with Ashes focus, says Stokes

Captain Ben Stokes says the changes to the England Test team have been made with a focus on winning back the Ashes in Australia.

England begin the home summer against West Indies on Wednesday and have handed debuts to wicketkeeper Jamie Smith, pace bowler Gus Atkinson and preferred 20-year-old Shoaib Bashir to previous first-choice spinner Jack Leach.

Most importantly, the Test at Lord’s will be the final international match for England’s all-time leading wicket-taker James Anderson.

“We had to make some decisions around what we think is best for the team going into that Ashes series,” Stokes told BBC Sport.

“We want to go out there and we want to get that urn back.”

The next Ashes series is in Australia in the winter of 2025-26. Australia have held the urn since 2018, retaining cricket’s oldest prize with a 2-2 draw in the UK last summer.

The fallout from that series has continued over the past year, fuelled by two documentary series that focussed on the respective teams.

Following the release of the England and Wales Cricket Board's shows last week, some Australian media picked up on Stokes’ dressing-room speech to his team after rain ruined England’s chances of winning the fourth Test at Old Trafford and ensured they could not regain the Ashes.

Stokes responded by writing on X, formerly Twitter: “Said this to the team who had watched it rain for two days when we had our foot on your throats, just tried to cheer up the disappointment tbh, but anyways rent free and all that.”

Now, two years since Stokes and coach Brendon McCullum took charge of the Test team, England have shifted their rhetoric from focussing on the present to longer-term planning.

“We've made some unbelievable strides over the last two years but now we find ourselves where what can we do now can make this team even better,” said Stokes.

“Progression is the main word here. That's been a lot of thought process of mine about taking this team forward.”

Anderson is the only pace bowler to reach 700 Test wickets. A few days shy of his 42nd birthday, he will play his 188th and final Test on the same ground where he made his debut 21 years ago.

The Lancashire bowler is stepping aside after talks with Stokes, McCullum and managing director Rob Key in April, when the England management told Anderson they want to nurture younger bowlers.

“He's an amazing bowler, there's no doubt that he could still go out there and play Test cricket because he is good enough,” said Stokes.

“When we spoke with Jimmy, we laid it out with him and gave him the reasons and he totally understood it.

“This week will all be about Jimmy and rightly so, but I can tell you that his main focus is about going out there, taking wickets and trying to win this game for England.”

In addition to the fresh look of the England team, the home side will be boosted by Stokes’ fitness to fulfil the role of all-rounder.

The 33-year-old had surgery on a long-term left-knee problem in November, tentatively returned to bowling during the 4-1 series defeat in India earlier this year and has continued his rehabilitation in three County Championship matches for Durham.

“I can finally say that I can play the role that I've been known for, for 10 years, which is batting and being that fourth seamer,” said Stokes.

“I've worked very, very hard to get into this position and I know how much me as that fourth seamer adds to the team. I’m really excited to get going this week.”

West Indies are touring England for the first time since the Covid summer of 2020, when they lost 2-1 in matches played behind closed doors. In their last Test they stunned Australia at the Gabba in January to earn a 1-1 series draw.

Their batting is largely inexperienced and includes 23-year-old debutant Mikyle Louis, who will become the first West Indian Test cricketer from the island of St Kitts.

But, even without the injured Kemar Roach, the tourists have a strong pace-bowling quartet of Jason Holder, Jayden Seales, Alzarri Joseph and Shamar Joseph.

“Our own consistency of performance throughout this series is what is important,” said captain Kraigg Brathwaite.

"Our batters are young and exciting. The more games they play they will be better. They have a lot of talent and we are full behind them."

BBC

Rain will have a big say.
day 3 was looking like a washout but has improved - like the fact that Holder is the 5th bowling option for WI - hope Stokes can bowl 14 hard overs a day , Eng attack looks thin unless we have 4-6 mm of live green grass - result in under 360 overs !!!

England vs West Indies, 1st Test:

England have won the toss and have opted to field

Teams:

West Indies
(Playing XI): Kraigg Brathwaite(c), Mikyle Louis, Kirk McKenzie, Alick Athanaze, Kavem Hodge, Joshua Da Silva(w), Jason Holder, Gudakesh Motie, Alzarri Joseph, Shamar Joseph, Jayden Seales

England (Playing XI): Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes(c), Jamie Smith(w), Chris Woakes, Gus Atkinson, Shoaib Bashir, James Anderson

England bowl first. West Indies select Motie not Sinclair .

Maybe because England very strong v offspin. But Sinclair better batter.

GOAT bowler playing his final test match. An era will be retiring with Anderson.

England bowl first. West Indies select Motie not Sinclair .

Maybe because England very strong v offspin. But Sinclair better batter.
Yeah thought Sinclair would've played to extend the batting, but appears the strategy is go all out on taking 20 wickets. Motie is the better spinner.

WI batting first on an overcast morning, like PAK, is always a recipe for high blood pressure.

Especially with that man Jimmy Anderson desperate to retire on a high.

UK PPers might relate that whatever problems you may have in your own life - when that first Test of the English summer begins at Lord's, you feel a sukoon that's hard to describe.

The pitch looks dry, not much grass but Broad mentioned the lack of heat recently means it could be a slow surface. It's humid and overcast so expect some swing.

Mikyle Louis playing ball late and under his eyes which'll be key against the moving ball.

Two boundaries in the first over.

UK PPers might relate that whatever problems you may have in your own life - when that first Test of the English summer begins at Lord's, you feel a sukoon that's hard to describe.

The pitch looks dry, not much grass but Broad mentioned the lack of heat recently means it could be a slow surface. It's humid and overcast so expect some swing.

Lords always slow pitch for UK standard. At least on morning Day 1. Maybe thats why England chase because pitch get better by 4th innings

Legit feel emotional seeing Jimmy bowl for the final time. Been watching him every summer for a long time now.

I think I was to go over my posts on PP since my time here you would see some initial mocking slowly turn into massive respect. Most of us were probably the same towards him.

What a bowler. What a career.

100%. I can't describe the noise at the start. The gentle hum and murming of the crowd as the bowler starts to run in. The first ball is often a leave. It's time to listen to sky commentary and tune into TMS when on the move.

A reminder to everyone that Jamie Smith has only kept in two of his last 10 red ball games

can this inexperienced line-up score over 300 ? looks possible on this deck ...

Jimmy must be weeping getting this grassless slow deck for his farewell game .... 24/0

Nothing delivery that Brathwaite should've put away.

McKenzie can play shots but must show discipline here. Often makes decent starts but doesn't capitalise.

Atkinson fires in a slightly wide delivery on a slower pitch and Brathwaite gets an inside edge and drags it on to his stumps!

The Surrey seamer picks up a wicket with his second ball in Test cricket.

England get the breakthrough and there's huge smiles from the team in the dressing room.

Woakes bowling 126 kph speed but WI batters can't hit him.

WI should disband Test side, focus ODIs.

Pitch is slow but classic overcast English Test conditions with plenty of movement. Some rain around too. WI would do well to get to 250.

ENG were poor in the first half hour but since then their areas have been much better.

Two for England and two for Atkinson, with McKenzie forced to trot off for a sedate one from 14 balls after clipping the debutant to second slip.

The left-hander went on the drive and was pouched smartly by Crawley in the cordon at chest-height.

1720610668268.png

1720610679853.png

Stunning catch, absolutely stunning!

It is Brook who pulls it off with a one-handed effort low at slip diving to his right after Stokes induces the edge.

Stokes has a look of disbelief on his face after watching his team-mate take a grab the skipper himself would be proud of.

Last edited:
Sky Sports Cricket's Michael Atherton:

"It was going to be hard work for whichever side had the misfortune of losing the toss.

"The West Indies batting line-up is very inexperienced bar Kraigg Brathwaite.

"Gone are the days of West Indies players coming to county cricket and getting first-class experience here to stand them in good stead.

"West Indies have gone about it diligently but lost three wickets so it was England’s session."

Sky Sports Cricket's Nasser Hussain:

"That was an old-fashioned session. West Indies' openers were going well but they then lost three quick wickets.

"England's fielding has been excellent, particularly with Brook's catch and Smith with the gloves.

"It's been an emotional morning, too, with it being Anderson's farewell."

Sky Sports Cricket's Mel Jones:

"Woakes is getting that shape, you can see the position of the seam. He really wants the ball to tail in to the left-hander.

"Can he do what Stokes did coming around the wicket - get the ball to hold its line and induce a front-foot drive and bring the slips into play?"

Now the collapse begins. Brathwaite may regret not shoring the batting up with Sinclair.

Holder too high at 6.

Goodness me Gus Atkinson really announcing himself.

3 wickets in an over !

Complete lack of quality. Gabba Test only because of extreme high quality bowling by Shamaar.

Very mediocre batting lineup.

Back