ICC Champions Trophy - Group B : Pakistan defeat South Africa by 19 runs (DLS method)

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
In a must win game for Pakistan after a crushing loss at the hands of arch-rivals India, South Africa were the ones who started with an advantage as AB de Villiers won the toss and opted to bat. Sarfraz Ahmed's men opted to make two changes with Fakhar Zaman (on ODI debut) and Junaid Khan replacing Ahmed Shehzad and Wahab Riaz. The opponents, meanwhile, opted for an unchanged side from the one that easily defeated the Sri Lankans a few days earlier.

The Proteas' openers arrived at the crease and expectations of a large total being put up by the batting side grew after the initial few overs from Amir and Junaid were safely negotiated, despite a slightly sedate pace to proceedings. Imad came into the attack towards the end of the powerplay and struck gold almost instantaneously as he pinned Amla LBW with a straight delivery. Sarfraz went for an all-spin attack with Hafeez introduced and the move looked to be a good one as he troubled de Kock straight away. He would have had him LBW if Pakistan had reviewed an early appeal but they opted against it; replays showed the ball was hitting leg-stump. However, that didn't prove too costly as soon after a big shot, de Kock tried to sweep one and missed it and was plumb LBW.

At this point, the scoring rate was taking a nose-dive due to some tight overs of spin. Enter de Villiers, one of the best batsman in world cricket and the top batsman statistically in the format over the last decade. However, he couldn't have chosen a worse time (for South Africa) to get his first-ever golden duck in the format. Imad bowled one outside off, the batsman went for a big drive but only succeeded in finding Hafeez at backward point. A few tight overs of spin ensued, with Hasan Ali later coming into the attack. He dismissed du Plessis off just his second delivery, as the batsman dragged one onto his stumps. The Pakistani pacer continued bowling a good spell and produced the goods again in his fourth over. He bowled a full delivery to Duminy who drived, nicked it and was taken superbly by Babar at slip. Next ball, Hasan produced an early contender for ball of the tournament with an excellent delivery around the stumps to a bewildered Parnell; the ball straightened, missed the bat and smashed the stumps. A dream sight for any fast bowler, as South Africa were reduced to 118/6.

In the meantime, Miller was playing a responsible knock but was fast running out of partners. He was joined at the crease by Morris and the two batsmen looked to stage an improbable recovery. They negotiated several overs from the likes of Hasan and Shadab, rotating strike and looking to build the innings. With a hint of reverse-swing on offer, Sarfraz went back to his main bowlers, Amir and Junaid. The two needed no second invitation to start targeting the stumps, with Amir bowling a stunning yorker to Miller that saw him lose his footing and almost fall face first on the pitch. The umpire ruled it out, but the batsman rightfully reviewed; it was missing leg-stump. Two balls later, Junaid cleaned up Morris - but it was a no-ball. The reprieve wasn't too costly, though. With pressure rising due to tight bowling, Morris went for a big shot off Junaid but couldn't middle it, with Hasan taking a good catch. Miller got to his fifty in the meantime while Rabada arrived at the crease to provide him support. South Africa couldn't really find the boundaries regularly but the score inched beyond 200. Junaid got another wicket as Rabada looked to clear the rope but only hit the ball straight up into the air, where again it was Hasan who took an excellent catch. Miller finished the innings with a boundary, ending on 75* as South Africa scraped to 219/8.

The chase began with the duo of Rabada and Parnell bowling to Pakistan's latest ODI opening combination, Azhar and Fakhar. From the outset, it was clear that Azhar was looking to play the role of the stabiliser while Fakhar would go after the bowling. Some uncharacteristically poor bowling upfront by the pacers allowed Fakhar the opportunity he needed and with no hesitation, he raced away. Any hint of width was punished, as he strongly cut the ball square and drove one straight for four. The opener even went after South Africa's main man, Rabada, lofting him over mid-on and then driving one on the up for four. By then, he had raced to 31 with six fours; in comparison, South Africa only managed nine in their whole innings! It came to an end soon, however, as Morkel deceived him with a clever slower ball and he was out for 31 off just 23 balls. It became two wickets in three balls as Azhar tried to ramp the fast-bowler, but failed to take the third man fielder into account and was easily caught.

The innings almost came to a standstill after that with Pakistan once playing twenty dot balls in a row as Morkel bowled a testing spell. Babar and Hafeez looked to ride it out until scoring became easier. Runs became more accessible after a few overs as South Africa decided to go to their main spinner, Imran Tahir. He almost struck in his third over after a review; it all looked good for the fielding side until the final moment when Hawkeye projected that the ball was bouncing over the stumps. With rain on the horizon, Pakistan began to pick up the pace though Hafeez soon fell to Morkel, caught pulling after making 26 off 53 balls. Malik showed a more positive attitude straight away, hitting Rabada for back to back boundaries while Babar also began to pick up the pace. Soon, the rain arrived with Pakistan at 119/3 in 27 overs. That was to be the final score; the par score at that point was 100, and Pakistan sealed a comfortable 19-run win according to the DLS method.

Last edited:
What a win after india push us to corner it shows alot of character and mental strength from our players

which is amazing

Pakistan Zindabad :pakflag2:pakflag2:pakflag2:pakflag2:pakflag2:pakflag2

Need to beat Sri Lanka convincingly in the final match. Also we need to count on India beating South Africa and Sri Lanka.

Need to beat Sri Lanka convincingly in the final match. Also we need to count on India beating South Africa and Sri Lanka.

south africa NRR have drop to +1.00 and a 50 runs defeat against india will blow there chances of even

if pakistan and srilanka match is wash out

Although South Africa were firm favourites today, one always felt that Pakistan had a chance against them given RSA's record in ICC tournaments and given our decent record against them in such events (Pakistan also beat them in the group game in 2015 World Cup).

However against India the problem is both psychological (knowing that we have not beaten them in an ICC event for more than a decade, so perhaps no longer expect to win against them; ofcourse players do try their best) and physical (the latter's obvious superiority in batting).

A much improved bowling and fielding display. Hasan Ali was the star of the show today. Batting remains iffy

Rain and Hasab Ali joint MoM today..

Must not take Lanka lightly..

Just pray Sri Lanka upsets India amd then we don't have to worry about NRR or SA Ind game. Our game vs SL becomes virtual qf.

Pak won CT match after almost a decade. Have lost all matches in CT since 2009.

Congrats on a great win! Pakistan (#8 team),upset the #1 team!

:pkflag

Pakistan Zindabad!!!

We criticise heavily when the team loses badly as they did against India, so let's please congratulate in the same way now!

Under pressure against the no.1 ODI team , Pakistan lost the toss and pulled off a simply stunning performance with the ball.

A deserved victory and one will make Pakistan a tough team to beat from now on.

Excellent bowling performance with Hasan Ali being the standout. That delivery to Parnell will be replayed over and again by fans. Fielding was much improved as was the body language and spirit.

However the batting remains a concern. Maybe we were trying to conserve wickets due to DLS method but far too many dot balls once again.

Pakistan needs to be ruthless, we cannot afford any more screw ups now.

Azhar Ali is adding zero utility to the team, he is outdated and does not belong in the modern ODI format. While there are question marks about Hafeez's position in the team, we cannot deny his utility to the team as an economical bowler which is invaluable to the team. I would rather Hafeez open the innings rather than Azhar Ali and this way we can include Fahim Ashraf in the team as we desperately need a lower order power hitter.

This is the team i would go with for the rest of the CT

1) Hafeez
2) Fakher Zaman
3) Babar Azam
4) Sarfaraz
5) Malik
6) Imad Wasim
7) Fahim Ashraf
8) Shadab Khan
9) Mohd Amir
10) Hasan Ali
11) Junaid Khan

This is the best we can do from our squad of 15

Azhar Ali is adding zero utility to the team, he is outdated and does not belong in the modern ODI format. While there are question marks about Hafeez's position in the team, we cannot deny his utility to the team as an economical bowler which is invaluable to the team. I would rather Hafeez open the innings rather than Azhar Ali and this way we can include Fahim Ashraf in the team as we desperately need a lower order power hitter.

1) Hafeez
2) Fakher Zaman
3) Babar Azam
4) Sarfaraz
5) Malik
6) Imad Wasim
7) Fahim Ashraf
8) Shadab Khan
9) Mohd Amir
10) Hasan Ali
11) Junaid Khan

Imad at 6 with the rest below unproven is too much of a gamble esp with Fakhar opening, he could easily be for low scores the way he plays.

It still a longshot to make the semis, we gotta beat the Sri Lankans by a big margin and hope India beat both them and SA.

It still a longshot to make the semis, we gotta beat the Sri Lankans by a big margin and hope India beat both them and SA.
hum toh hara lenge bakiyo ko..barish na ho bs.....tum apna dkho......Watch tomorrow what we will do to lankans...I hope it doesnt rain...

They were on route to winning
Another ruined game though

They should end this farce in the UK
CT is pointless

Just pray Sri Lanka upsets India amd then we don't have to worry about NRR or SA Ind game. Our game vs SL becomes virtual qf.

No it doesn't. If Sri Lanka beats India and India beats South Africa and if South Africa beats India then we will be tied with India and South Africa. Best outcome for us is if India wins all their games and we beat Sri Lanka

Would pakistan have chased if Shezad was playing

I reckon got a good start Azhar was poor but Zaman made up for it and gave everyone who followed a bit of a cushion

No it doesn't. If Sri Lanka beats India and India beats South Africa and if South Africa beats India then we will be tied with India and South Africa. Best outcome for us is if India wins all their games and we beat Sri Lanka

i swear yeh isko hrade...woh isko hrade...hum kisi ko hrade..Allah maaf kre.,why it always comes like this for pakistan team in icc tournaments man...

Amazing win time for India to beat South Africa now and once that is taken care of we will demolish SL.

Semi Finals here we come!

1) Hafeez
2) Fakher Zaman
3) Babar Azam
4) Sarfaraz
5) Malik
6) Imad Wasim
7) Fahim Ashraf
8) Shadab Khan
9) Mohd Amir
10) Hasan Ali
11) Junaid Khan

Hafeez against early swing is a recipe for comedy. As likely as ever to choke the SR.
Drop Azhar, drop Hafeez, bring in Haris to open alongside Fakhar and bring in Fahim.

This win lifted my mood up, we were gonna chase it anyways even if there wasn't any rain. The match also proved a point as to why Junaid is 1M times better than Wahab who should retire and also why Amir and Junaid are good bowling partners with Hasan as third bowler.

I didn't watch much of today's game because I had an exam in the afternoon ( I live in England) then I came home and saw the last few overs of South Africa's innings and then in the evening I had work (cricket umpiring) and by the time my work finished they were off for rain. But from what I have heard, we played amazing cricket and I can't wait to watch highlights tomorrow. I have seen the wickets we took and Zaman's innings etc but that's it. Can't wait to see highlights

He was right if india lose against lanka we just have to win against them to pass through.In fact if sri lanka win tommorow every match of this group will be like quarter final,with everyone at 3points.

He was right if india lose against lanka we just have to win against them to pass through.In fact if sri lanka win tommorow every match of this group will be like quarter final,with everyone at 3points.

Yes

With no disrespect to Sri Lanka but I cant see how they will defeat this mighty Indian team.

Now South africa will go real hard on india. Mark my words.
SL should beat india tomorrow or it should be washed out. That will be the best result for pakistan.

Yes it does because all teams will have 2 points with one match remaining if SL beat India.

Whichever team wins their last match in the above scenario will go through.

Where is your math yaar?:facepalm:
SL beats Ind
Pak 2 points
SL 2 points
India 2 points
SA 2 points

Ind vs SA the winner gets 4 points through to semis
Pak vs Sl the winner gets 4 points through to semis

Dissapointed! We would have won the match but rain came and spoiled everything.we will beat India though! Protea fire!
Well played Pakistan though!!

Where is your math yaar?:facepalm:
SL beats Ind
Pak 2 points
SL 2 points
India 2 points
SA 2 points

Ind vs SA the winner gets 4 points through to semis
Pak vs Sl the winner gets 4 points through to semis

Kitni dafa kahoon ghalti ho gayi. Roza lag raha tha

Congrats Pakistan absolutely brilliant with the ball. Shame that rain got in the way was turning out to be a nail-biter.

I cant see the India SriLanka match thread... Is it because it is going to be rained off?

Pakistan played well yesterday. Deserved Victory...

That good little partnership between Babar and Malik meant that Pakistan would`ve won even without the rain. Pakistan were rapidly gaining back the momentum that they last had when Fakhar was batting. However, the Pakistan batsmen aren't quite world famous for great focus and concentration, and a resumption (without overs lost) after the rain would've tested them big time.

What a spell that was by Hasan! One of the few players from this current team who play with a lot of fire in the belly, Imad is another. Also, here's desperately hoping that a replacement for Sharjeel has been found in Fakhar. What a pleasant sight it was to see a Pakistan batsman play with that much confidence, self-belief and aggression. Him and Sharjeel together could`ve suddenly made Pakistan a team with the most exciting openers, could've!

All in all, congratulations Pakistan on a brilliant comeback in the tournament. I just hope that a defeat to India with such a huge margin doesn't come back to haunt them.

Good win by Pk. Probably would have won by a few wickets in any case. Saffers are easy beats in ICC events.

Pak v SL will be close.

Good win and glad rain came when it did as we have a habit of making a pigs ear out of run chase. Hopefully can beat SL next game and make semi finals.

The turning point yesterday for me was du Plessis` wicket. Although all eyes were set on the likes of de Villiers, de Kock etc., who can take the game away from you within an hour, realising the nature of the pitch, it became immediately apparent to me how vital du Plessis was going to be for South Africa. Primarily because he knows how to scrap his team to an above par total with a dogged 70 or 80. It was his territory.

If Pakistan had botched up the chase, Azhar Ali`s horrible shot would've been the ultimate act of stupidity and a potential turning point. Luckily, it didn't.

That good little partnership between Babar and Malik meant that Pakistan would`ve won even without the rain. Pakistan were rapidly gaining back the momentum that they last had when Fakhar was batting. However, the Pakistan batsmen aren't quite world famous for great focus and concentration, and a resumption (without overs lost) after the rain would've tested them big time.

What a spell that was by Hasan! One of the few players from this current team who play with a lot of fire in the belly, Imad is another. Also, here's desperately hoping that a replacement for Sharjeel has been found in Fakhar. What a pleasant sight it was to see a Pakistan batsman play with that much confidence, self-belief and aggression. Him and Sharjeel together could`ve suddenly made Pakistan a team with the most exciting openers, could've!

All in all, congratulations Pakistan on a brilliant comeback in the tournament. I just hope that a defeat to India with such a huge margin doesn't come back to haunt them.

I think Pakistan would have struggled to chase had the play resumed after rain. Imran Tahir still had 6 overs under his belt and we all know how dangerous he is against Pakistan. Great moral booster though. Its a good feeling knowing that your team is not that bad. Its only against India, where Pak players loose their brains and play well beyond their capabilities..

I think Pakistan would have struggled to chase had the play resumed after rain. Imran Tahir still had 6 overs under his belt and we all know how dangerous he is against Pakistan. Great moral booster though. Its a good feeling knowing that your team is not that bad. Its only against India, where Pak players loose their brains and play well beyond their capabilities..

Even if we lost a wicket, we'd be ahead of DLS. However, under pressure we're probably the 3rd worst team here (SA and Bangladesh below us).

But it's cricket and we could've lost a couple wickets and lost the game, but Babar and Malik played solidly - our best two batsmen.

Bowling Fielding and on-field attitude was AWESOME!

Batting. It seems Fakhar and Azhar were batting on 2 different pitches. When safraz said play your natural game I think Azhar took it as play how he plays in tests. He played wel against India but went back to his own game in this match creating pressure on Fakhar to get all the runs which resulted in one too many shots but great debut for Fakhar.

Then Babar I think test match has ruined him. He needs to get out of that mindset and play how he did when he first started his career. Hafeez and him playing out 3 maidens was recipe for disaster especially with rain looming. Yes Hafeez is a handy bowler but his batting is absolutely woeful and if it wasnt for Malik's quick fire 3 boundaries we would not have been celebrating this win.

Still though very scrappy chase, started off well then faltered once Fakhar went. I personally think Sadraz needs to stop hiding like Afridi did when he was captain and take the initiative and lead from the front either coming in at No.4 after Babar and Hafeez coming in after Malik. Although I would have wanted Faheem Ashraf in the team in place of Hafeez which gives us a reliable bat down the order but lets see in the next game against the Lankans.

Inspiring win for Pakistan, good for cricketing world as well.Pak favourites to win against Lanka,Lanka can not be expected to repeat that out of the world batting and part time bowling ( 13 overs of part time for below 5 RPO which lost Ind the match)

And of course, I cannot emphasize enough on the great attitude we saw on the field from the fielders and the extra yards that they were ready to run and dive to save runs. That, exactly that set the ton for Pakistan´s day and everything else, the bowling and the okayish batting, just followed on the confidence that was built.

Catches win matches, and good ground fielding builds momentum and sends the opposition the strongest message. Nothing else does this as well as that does. Any average player out there not ready to put his body on the line shut be shown the door and the door should be shut forever.

Last edited:
What a win after india push us to corner it shows alot of character and mental strength from our players

which is amazing

Pakistan Zindabad :pakflag2:pakflag2:pakflag2:pakflag2:pakflag2:pakflag2

So at this point how many of you are starting to wonder?

Time to remember the excitement and have a laugj about some of the reactions in this thread

Hasan Ali was superb in this tournament. Needs to get into the same type of form for the World Cup next year.

If we can win the Champions Trophy, why can't the same team win the World Cup as well, InshAllah?

The opposing teams have only gotten weaker with aging players (India, South Africa) and upheavals (Australia) while Pakistan have the same squad of players who have become more experienced.

hum toh hara lenge bakiyo ko..barish na ho **.....tum apna dkho......Watch tomorrow what we will do to lankans...I hope it doesnt rain...

Doob gaye becharey.

Hasan Ali was superb in this tournament. Needs to get into the same type of form for the World Cup next year.

If we can win the Champions Trophy, why can't the same team win the World Cup as well, InshAllah?

The opposing teams have only gotten weaker with aging players (India, South Africa) and upheavals (Australia) while Pakistan have the same squad of players who have become more experienced.

No one can stop Pak from winning 2019 WC. It would be a shame if they dont win with such a powerful team.

Wow a year on. The day where everything turned around. Completely forgot about this match, didn't check the toss before my exam as I completely forgot, came out of my exam and turned my phone on, and all the messages were coming through on my phone about how Pakistan were doing well. Came home towards the end of SA's innings where their lower order got a slight fightback. Suddenly everything had changed and the pundits were complementing Pakistan like there was no tomorrow. I had work in the evening so missed the Pakistan chase but was following it and was delighted when Pakistan were ahead on DL, knowing we would win :)

You need to up your chasing game for that.Still struggles to chase to anything near 250 which should be a cake walk on today's pattas.

Back