ICC World Cup 2023: Australia v Pakistan | Match 18 | Bengaluru | 20 October | Australia Innings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1697762005175.png

The Australia versus Pakistan clash in Bengaluru on Friday holds immense significance in the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023, especially concerning the race for a spot in the semi-finals. Australia, having suffered defeats in their initial two matches against India and South Africa, can likely only afford to lose a maximum of two more games, possibly just one, in the remaining group-stage fixtures to have a shot at securing a top-four spot.

A loss to Pakistan, a team with two wins already under their belt, would deal a substantial blow to Australia's hopes of claiming their sixth title in the men's Cricket World Cup. Pakistan, despite a disappointing loss to India in their previous match, started strongly. A victory against the Australian team would help Babar Azam's side establish a considerable lead over their rivals in the competition for the coveted semi-final spots as they approach the midpoint of their group campaign.

When: October 20, 2023, 2:00 PM IST

Where: M Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bangalore

Teams

Australia:

In the lead-up to the match, the focus was on former captain turned commentator Aaron Finch, who was the center of attention during Australia's practice session. He engaged in extensive discussions with several former teammates and the chief selector, George Bailey. Patrick Cummins was also seen in a lengthy conversation with Bailey as they left the practice ground. However, it raises questions about what changes they can realistically make at this stage, especially with the impending arrival of Travis Head to the team later in the week. Most players have had their fair share of batting and bowling practice over the past two days, with the exception of Adam Zampa, who is expected to be in the playing lineup. The only potential alteration might come into consideration if Zampa encounters stiffness on the morning of the match, in which case Sean Abbott could be a replacement option.

In terms of tactics and strategy, the Australian team showed promising signs as they left Lucknow. They managed to find stability in the middle order, thanks to the contributions of Josh Inglis and Glenn Maxwell. Additionally, they figured out how to secure crucial wickets in the middle overs, largely credited to the efforts of Cummins and Adam Zampa. Australia had previously played a warm-up match against Pakistan, where their openers adopted an ultra-aggressive approach against the Pakistani fast bowlers. A similar strategy is expected to be employed in the upcoming match. Furthermore, the Australian seamers have adjusted their tactics in the last couple of games, utilizing more cross-seam deliveries and incorporating cutters once the ball starts to wear out. This strategy could prove effective against the Pakistani middle-order, which has struggled to consistently perform.

Pakistan:

Fakhar Zaman will still be unavailable for another week, and Agha Salman is currently recovering from an illness. The primary anticipated change for Pakistan is the inclusion of leg-spinner Usama Mir in place of Mohammad Nawaz. Mir showcased an impressive performance against Australia in Hyderabad during the warm-up match.

In terms of tactics and strategy, Pakistan's ability to succeed against Australia will largely hinge on their top-order batsmen posting substantial runs and ensuring that their innings extend deep into the match. This was an area where they faced difficulties against India, despite a strong start. Additionally, they'll rely on their spinners to take wickets and complement the contributions of the fast bowlers, who have been somewhat inconsistent despite their reputation.

Squads:

Pakistan Squad: Abdullah Shafique, Imam-ul-Haq, Babar Azam(c), Mohammad Rizwan(w), Saud Shakeel, Iftikhar Ahmed, Shadab Khan, Mohammad Nawaz, Hasan Ali, Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf, Agha Salman, Fakhar Zaman, Usama Mir, Mohammad Wasim Jr

Australia Squad: Mitchell Marsh, David Warner, Steven Smith, Marnus Labuschagne, Josh Inglis(w), Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins(c), Adam Zampa, Josh Hazlewood, Sean Abbott, Travis Head, Alex Carey, Cameron Green

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Any other rumors of who is dropped? I imagine Agha and Mohammad Wasim Jr must be in the discussion.

For Pakistan to do well, I have more hopes from Abdullah Shafique than Babar Azam..Abdullah is the man to go.

Bengaluru wicket average is 52 in last 4 yrs, Pace avg. 60 @ 6.5 Rpo and Spin 52 @ 5.07

Mir should get a game here. Possibly at the expense of a pacer

We might be able to beat Australia today.

Their playing with a has been team and Smith and labu are massive thorns in the side.

Maxwell and Marsh is a worry. Marsh has poor form though but Maxwell is basically kohli 2.0 against Pakistan, he loves taking Pakistan to the cleaners.

I have watched only one match from ball one due to timing. INdia/Pakistan i did. Most of the other matches i started watching only after 15 or 20 overs. This one i am looking forward to watching from ball 1 as i sense an entertaining match possibly close encounter.

I have watched only one match from ball one due to timing. INdia/Pakistan i did. Most of the other matches i started watching only after 15 or 20 overs. This one i am looking forward to watching from ball 1 as i sense an entertaining match possibly close encounter.
I skipped all matches this week cause none of them interested me, wasn't really bothered by England vs Afghanistan or nedtherlands vs South Africa cause even with minnow upsets nedtherlands and afg ain't making it.

And India vs Bangladesh was pretty obvious outcome.

I'm looking Forward to today's match and England vs South Africa though on Sunday.

I skipped all matches this week cause none of them interested me, wasn't really bothered by England vs Afghanistan or nedtherlands vs South Africa cause even with minnow upsets nedtherlands and afg ain't making it.

And India vs Bangladesh was pretty obvious outcome.

I'm looking Forward to today's match and England vs South Africa though on Sunday.

For me

India vs NZ
India vs SA
India vs England
Pakistan vs SA
Pakistan vs Aus
Pakistan vs NZ

These are the matches i am eagerly looking forward to

Then there are potential upset encounters

Afghanistan is one team that has the ingredients to do well in India despite their shellacking in the last match. India host some of their matches in India. So they are familiar with these conditions.

I heard the news on TV that Mir is playing today in place of Shadab. We might see him playing today afterall.
Even if he is 5% better they should play him. It is very rare you need more than 5 or 6 batsmen at bengaluru unless ICC screws up the basic nature of the pitch.

Drop Useless Chacha! He hasn’t proved much against top team. He still thinks he can perform like vs Nepal! Bring in Usama Mir

Interesting stat for the match

Each of David Warner, Steven Smith and Babar Azam have scored 65 runs in this world cup so far in 3 the innings. Strike rate of all three batsman is well below 80.

Battle of out of for Titans 😂😂

Imam ABdullah Babar Rizwan Saud Nawaz Iftikhar Mir Hassan SSA Rauf

this team has limitations specially the pace attack not in form, but all we can hope is every player punches above their weight

Even if he is 5% better they should play him. It is very rare you need more than 5 or 6 batsmen at bengaluru unless ICC screws up the basic nature of the pitch.
My fear is that Usama Mir gets absolutely destroyed due to the pitch and then we just bench him the rest of the tournament without giving him a fair shot

Drop Useless Chacha! He hasn’t proved much against top team. He still thinks he can perform like vs Nepal! Bring in Usama Mir
Usama Mir will come in for Shadab, I think it's more likely Agha comes in for Iftikahr but I think Iftikhar will get more chances first since he really only failed against India.

Did you guys see how reporters were saying Steve Smith had an absolutely mammoth session in the practice nets a couple days ago? Seems like he’s out for redemption after the bad start, I good we don’t catch the worst of it.

one thing i would absolutely hate will be drop catches please no drop catches

Caught some videos of the Pakistani nets . The batsmen seemed to be practicing range hitting for a change .

I spent only 15000 for India vs Aus for a ticket bought in black . In Chennai , the max ticket price is only 5K for even the pavilion stand

Watch looking at recent pictures, it is sad to see pot belly of Babar Azam. Shambolic fitness standard.

The player power is too much in the team, they can do whatever they want without consequence. We need a strong coach after this WC who sets high fitness standard and brings discipline.

Is Fakhar zaman purposely hiding so that he doesnt get perma dropped after world cup?

Rs 25000/- for a ticket ! What looters these cricket organisers in India are.

Hope Babar is not available for this game so we might actually have a chance vs Australia 🤞🤞🤞

If Pakistan wins today then no one can stop them from making the semifinals. This is one of the most important match of this touranment.

Rs 25000/- for a ticket ! What looters these cricket organisers in India are.
Only Bangalore is like this . Other stadiums are much more reasonable . Even the RCB IPL tickets are like this . The plus however is that free booze is supplied in the hospitality stands

Hopefully Australia pull this one over and win it comprehensively. But Pakistan is a good team and can always make a come back. !! Aussie Aussie Aussie Oii Oii Oii

I was based at Nagpur during 2010 and 2011. I used to get complimentary passes for cricket matches held there. I watched India vs South Africa as well as Australia vs New Zealand worlds cup matches of 2011 there.

The conditions in this ground go against Pakistan’s style of play. We are starting at a disadvantage, Marsh and Warner could absolutely destroy us in the powerplay.

Shaheen needs to fire today, I hope he has recovered well from fever.

This one gonna be blockbuster. Crowd will be big and loud.

A real 4 pointer.

Whoever loses becomes cornered Tigers/Kangaroos!

:sa

Proof Rizwan is a fraud

Any proper bowler would make him bounce around like this. Even those retired 20+ years ago

I wouldn’t be surprised if Courtney Walsh and Ambrose even now don’t let him score a run

Some horrible shot selection and technique there. Morkel didn’t look that impressed himself.

Pakistan start as underdog 62-38 to Aus let's see can we turn the tables

Slips will be in business when Aus bowl, although it's 2023 but some old Pakistan goofs weak outside offstump lacking strike rotation and not hitting properly

Expect close to a full house today, Chennai and Bengaluru always gets good crowd even for neutral games

This is the game boysssssss
Let's get it over and one with.

Dil dil Pakistan.

Australia are better than us but not by much. On our day we can trouble anyone. It's all down to who wants it more. It's not like 2003 Aussies. They are good but not great.

England are wildly overrated. We even beat them at their absolute best.

They are a shadow of themselves.

Nz is just a well knitted unit. But nothing special. Very beatable.

We can beat all of these teams. They are nothing compared to 2003 Aussies or 1980s West indies. All have flaws. Major flaws that csn be exploited. Let's go.

The team winning the toss will definitely want to chase here. Small ground. Pakistan can fail if they are trying to defend a score here.
When in doubt bro always bat. Trust our bowlers. We'll without naseem you are right though.

Proof Rizwan is a fraud

Any proper bowler would make him bounce around like this. Even those retired 20+ years ago

I wouldn’t be surprised if Courtney Walsh and Ambrose even now don’t let him score a run
Fraud how exactly ?
He's been performing decently well at the international circuit.
Overrated maybe, but fraud I think is harsh

Hopefully, Babar has good sense by now to understand Nawaz and Shadab bowling is not needed and their batting is not impactful. So Agha and Usama to play today, Pakistan have plenty of options to bowl spin in Ifti, Agha and Saud, with Agha adding to batting strength. Expecting a high scoring match.

I hope we get a good game!! Not really been enjoying the one sided blowouts we have been seeing so far

Now Pakistan fan are you happy to Bowl first , right? So after the match no excuse of batting first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back