ICC World Cup 2023: New Zealand (248/2) beat Bangladesh (245/9) comfortably by 8 wickets

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1697138129710.png

New Zealand has demonstrated remarkable clinical precision in the current World Cup. They have secured two flawless victories, reflecting their impressive net run rate of 1.958.

Nevertheless, the Black Caps are well aware of the unique challenge that awaits them in Chennai. They will be facing a formidable spin bowling lineup on a pitch expected to offer significant turn.

It's worth noting that New Zealand themselves possess a strong spin attack for this tournament. Their primary spinner, Mitchell Santner, recently secured a five-wicket haul in their previous league match. Additionally, players like Ish Sodhi and Rachin Ravindra provide valuable spin options.

There is a high likelihood of their regular captain, Kane Williamson, making a return for this game, while fast bowler Tim Southee is anticipated to be rested.

Bangladesh's confidence took a hit with a substantial loss to England. However, the Tigers have considerable experience in subcontinental conditions and will look to leverage their spinners on the challenging Chennai pitch. They are also hoping for an improved performance from their top-order batsmen.

When: October 13, 2023, 2:00 PM IST

Where: MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai

Teams

Bangladesh:

Najmul Hossain Shanto played a pivotal role in helping Bangladesh secure a victory over Afghanistan in their tournament opener. Despite facing a setback in the match against England, the left-handed batsman continues to be a crucial contributor in the top order.

Bangladesh's expectations are pinned on the partnership between Shanto and Litton Das to provide them with a solid start. Shanto, who is just 33 runs away from reaching the milestone of 1000 runs in ODI cricket, will also be tasked with countering the left-arm spinners of New Zealand and advancing the Bangladesh innings during the middle overs.

New Zealand:

In addition to Mitchell Santner, Matt Henry has proven to be a reliable bowler for the Black Caps. He ranks as their second-highest wicket-taker, having taken six wickets at an impressive average of 14.66. Furthermore, his economy rate stands at a commendable 4.75.

Henry's consecutive three-wicket hauls were instrumental in New Zealand's two victories in the tournament. Considering the success that pacers from India and Australia found on the sluggish Chennai pitch, Henry is likely to have a significant role to fulfill when facing Bangladesh.

Squads:

New Zealand Squad: Devon Conway, Rachin Ravindra, Kane Williamson(c), Daryl Mitchell, Tom Latham(w), Glenn Phillips, Mark Chapman, Mitchell Santner, Matt Henry, Lockie Ferguson, Trent Boult, Will Young, Tim Southee, Ish Sodhi, James Neesham

Bangladesh Squad: Litton Das, Tanzid Hasan, Najmul Hossain Shanto, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Shakib Al Hasan(c), Mushfiqur Rahim(w), Towhid Hridoy, Mahedi Hasan, Taskin Ahmed, Shoriful Islam, Mustafizur Rahman, Hasan Mahmud, Tanzim Hasan Sakib, Nasum Ahmed, Mahmudullah

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Kane Williamson participation has been confirmed in the match scheduled for Friday against Bangladesh in Chennai.

1697138381359.png

If bangaldesh can cause an upset it will open the tournament back up

Chennai track should assist BD spinners.

It would probably be a low-scoring game.

no bro not this time!

Chennai wicket will support spin and bangladesh is quite good in spin department they can challange NZ in such conditions.

I've heard this no bro on NZ vs Eng, Aus vs SA and now this is the 3rd time I am hearing it, lol.

Analyse teams and look at both sides before speaking from passion. This is a spin wicket and NZ has a spinner who's >>>>>>> Any Bangladesh spinner and their batting is 100x weaker to handle it then NZ can.

So as I said, another easy win.

Conway and Santner are familiar with the conditions being the CSK stars. Rachin has shown skills against spin. Neverthless it will be a low scoring game. Chenna pitch is one place where you can trigger collapse in any phase of the game if you have the right resources.

I've heard this no bro on NZ vs Eng, Aus vs SA and now this is the 3rd time I am hearing it, lol.

Analyse teams and look at both sides before speaking from passion. This is a spin wicket and NZ has a spinner who's >>>>>>> Any Bangladesh spinner and their batting is 100x weaker to handle it then NZ can.

So as I said, another easy win.

Also we under-estimate Boult and Henry here. Under lights ball will swing, seam. It is not just spin that will come into play.

It will most likely be a bowl first wicket. I expect NZ to win but these conditions will suit Bangladesh so I don't think it'll be one sided.

I'm hoping for a good contest because nearly all the matches in this tournament so far have been so one sided.

It will most likely be a bowl first wicket. I expect NZ to win but these conditions will suit Bangladesh so I don't think it'll be one sided.

I'm hoping for a good contest because nearly all the matches in this tournament so far have been so one sided.
I don't understand why everyone always underestimates NZ.

It's almost as if everyone is living in another multiverse.

NZ, SA and India are the strongest teams of the tournament but everyone is living on cloud 9 shouting England and Australia's name, They were so sure England was going to smack NZ no difficulty and Australia would Bully SA with the whole SA only beat 2md string aus.

The reality is that 2nd string aus thay sa bullied is stronger then 1st string aus as of now. Smith is a literal has been amd those 70 ball 100's won't ever come, and labu is an accumulator, these 2 will cripple aus.

Warner is on his last legs and beyond a bit of bashing at the start he won't be taking it home, just a bit of hitting here and their.

Marsh performs once in every 10 innings and he doesn't take the game away, He's a falhar zaman esc accumulator, he's takes time to get going but with the team he has, he ain't out batting anyone.

Carey, Josh inglis are overrated, the whole team is riding on glenn Maxwell, Starc and hazlewood.

Zampa is basically their version of shadab atm and Cummings has lost his pace.

So idk what drugs people are smoking when they say Australia and England will smash.

As for England, they have a Killer top order, but Brook is a hack, horrible decison to drop Roy even if Roy was put of form for a hack who averages 20. Butler is good but the rest of the middle order is beyond weak, Stokes is badly needed but England are still in a semi finalist positions.

But for some reason everyone is acting as if NZ and SA have the weakest teams and are Fodder trash but any idiot who has been watching tours in 2023 knows full well India, SA and NZ are the 3 strongest teams lol.

Then again I am not suprised, everyone was saying winning Asia cup would be a walk in the park for Pakistan 😂😂😂

Trust me, no one knows Australian team and Australian conditons amd austrilain history better then I do, if they did they are lying 😪

New Zealand won the toss and chose to field

Teams:

Bangladesh
(Playing XI): Litton Das, Tanzid Hasan, Najmul Hossain Shanto, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Shakib Al Hasan(c), Mushfiqur Rahim(w), Towhid Hridoy, Mahmudullah, Taskin Ahmed, Shoriful Islam, Mustafizur Rahman

New Zealand (Playing XI): Devon Conway, Rachin Ravindra, Kane Williamson(c), Daryl Mitchell, Tom Latham(w), Glenn Phillips, Mark Chapman, Mitchell Santner, Matt Henry, Lockie Ferguson, Trent Boult

Bangladesh victory is really needed to make it interesting in the tournament.

Common Bangla boys!!!

I did like the aggressive intent from Das coming down thw wicket first ball. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for him this time

You can't just come down on the first ball
Need to test the waters for few overs

Bangladesh has been lucky so far I can sense early Wickets need to calm down abit

Bangladesh players are playing like that they are chasing 400. Just take some time to settle as 250 is challenging score

Aggression can sometimes backfire which happened this time for Litton.

After 6 overs, Bangladesh is 37/1. Good start though tey have lost 1 wicket but still a good start.

Tanzid is just not experienced enough to be playing every match in a big tournament! He failed miserably asia cup. What the team management doing is madness. Destroying the youngsters future confidence. He hasnt player any bilateral series prior asia cup and suddenly thrown into the deep down end!

Cheap wicket. Consolidation key here
Walking wicket this kid. BD coach Haturu and selectors are idiots throwing this kid in the deep end before much bilateral series experience. Leaving Tamim out was most criminal thing done BD cricket history.

Bangladesh are not cut out for international cricket. Decades of experience and yet they fail to stop being minnows.

They should have opened with Miraz or Shanto and with the minnow basher Liton. Tanzid shouldn’t be there to begin with. Any tom, dick and Harry shouldn’t be allow to have a place in the national side without performing in bilateral series prior to big events

Miraz got set and throws it away. Story of BD cricket. Man should be a touch player instead trying to hit big shots like that, aint got power for that.

Abysmal batting they simply forgot how to bat in ODI’s this year. Batting order is wrong if you ask me. Mushy should be 4.

Hope we get Bangladesh out cheaply. Need to boost our NRR, could be one of the teams on 3 losses.

Its so sad to see the state of Bangladesh cricket. With such a huge fan base, they have failed to produce a competitive team.

Only time Bangladesh looked like it has really improved and were beating bigger teams was under Mashrafee Murtaza's captaincy. Post that, they have gone back to the same level as they were before he took the helm.

Teams like Bang, NL, Afg playing 9 matches in world cup is just not good for ODI cricket in general. Should have been smaller pools and supersix.

Pretty much clear now bilateral series have nothing to do with WC matches, it's a different kind of pressure.

It is about time that Mushfiq & Shakib do something meaningful for Bangladesh. Dont understand why these two want to bat so low

Black caps should win but I still feel this is a tough wicket to chase on. I don't want to get arrogant and think about nrr right now, I'm happy as long as we win. Dont want to be cashing over 250 here

It is about time that Mushfiq & Shakib do something meaningful for Bangladesh. Dont understand why these two want to bat so low
Mushfiq wasted so low. It’s that Lankan genius coach haturu since he came back Mushfiq gone low middle order.

Mushfiq needed at 4 has been most successful.

Bangladesh is the most cricket nation I have ever come across

Keep making spinning minefields at home tours and beating SENA teams. You will never improve like that. Will always stay a minnow.
They did draw vs nz away in tests though. They beat nz at home in tests last time.

They are just bad in white ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
After 21 overs, Bangladesh has scored 100 for the loss of 4 wickets. Going slow, and i am guessing a score of something around 260 max.

They did draw vs nz away in tests though. They beat nz at home in tests last time.

They are just bad in white ball.
I believe the talent is there. Their fast bowling has improved significantly. It's just the approach. They need a proper captain and a coach if they are to improve in white ball cricket. Bangladesh cricket board doesn't seem very professional either.

I feel for the Bangladeshi cricket fans. They are more crazy than us Pakistani fans.

How is Furgueson allowed to bowl 6 out of 6 short balls??

Back