India (181/8) defeat Afghanistan (134/10) comfortably by 47 runs to claim their first victory of the Super 8 stage

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
A big clash of asian giants await his on 20th June as India takes on Afghanistan in their first super 8 encounter. Afghanistan have upsetted New Zealand so far while India has been undefeated thus far. So which side will emerge victorious in the clash between the Asian giants.

Squads:

India Squad:
Rohit Sharma (c), Hardik Pandya (vc), Yashasvi Jaiswal, Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant (wk), Sanju Samson (wk), Shivam Dube, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Arshdeep Singh, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohd. Siraj

Afghanistan Squad: Rahmanullah Gurbaz(w), Ibrahim Zadran, Gulbadin Naib, Azmatullah Omarzai, Mohammad Nabi, Najibullah Zadran, Karim Janat, Rashid Khan(c), Noor Ahmad, Naveen-ul-Haq, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Fareed Ahmad Malik, Mohammad Ishaq, Nangeyalia Kharote

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning:

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

No excuses as India prime themselves for Super Eight challenge

India skipper Rohit Sharma revealed that his unit was eagerly awaiting the second stage of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024.

India topped Group A of the Men’s T20 World Cup to enter the Super Eight stage of the event. A comfortable win over Ireland was followed by two gritty contests, against Pakistan and USA respectively, but team India managed to secure a victory in both these games.

A washed-out encounter with Canada ensured that India topped their group even as they enter next stage of the tournament.

“There’s real keenness in the group to go and do something special. That’s a good way to start the second stage of the tournament,” Rohit told BCCI during a training session ahead of the Super Eight phase.

Even as the side went about honing their skills in the practice sessions, Rohit spoke of the challenges of playing three games in the span of five days, but believed that this wouldn’t hamper their chances.

“It clearly shows that everybody wants to make a difference and we take our skill sessions quite seriously. There’s something to achieve every skill sessions that you do. After we play our first game, we’ll play our next two games in a span of three-four days," he noted.

“It’s going to be a little hectic but we’re used to all of this. We travel a lot, we play a lot. So that’s never going to be an excuse.

“We’ll look to focus a lot more on our skills and what we need to do as a team rather than what others are doing. Every (practice) session then becomes really important, to make the best use of it.”

India’s group stage took place in USA, whereas teams like Afghanistan, and Australia had the luxury of playing in the West Indies during the first round. This was, however, not a concern for Rohit.

“We’ve seen a lot of games here, we’ve played a lot of games here. Everyone understands what one needs to do, to get the result in our favour," he said.

“Everyone’s looking forward and quite excited at the same time.”

India commence their Super Eight round of matches against Afghanistan on June 20 in Barbados.

ICC

How is the pitch. Read somewhere that brownish pitch will used for this match .This means its not favorable for Pacers which is against for this ground history.

This make game more close as Afghanistan have more quality spinner's than india.

India is going to play 3 games in 5 days .

True test of temperament and fitness of the indian players specially pacers .

How is the pitch. Read somewhere that brownish pitch will used for this match .This means its not favorable for Pacers which is against for this ground history.

This make game more close as Afghanistan have more quality spinner's than india.
Not sure how they'll curate this pitch but Barbados is known as the best venue in the Caribbean (locals call it the Mecca) with typically decent pace and bounce.

Prior to this WC, the average 1st score was 173 in completed T20Is since Jan 2019.

India will win , India bowl with plan and they will keep the line and length correct , instead of going for glory like Pakistan bowlers.

Last time Afghanistan and India played a historical double super over. India was 22/4 in 5th over. But Rohit and Rinku singh added 190 runs in 15.3 overs. Missing Rinku makes it even more ridiculous now.

Last time Afghanistan and India played a historical double super over. India was 22/4 in 5th over. But Rohit and Rinku singh added 190 runs in 15.3 overs. Missing Rinku makes it even more ridiculous now.
India should have picked rinku singh over dube not sure why Yasashwai Jaiswal is not getting a chance to play. india can easily drop dube and bring in Jaiswal to open with rohit sharma and send virat at his position where he usually bats.

Afghanistan need to learn to stop losing the plot. We saw this with Australia as well. Once the other team finds their stride it's usually game over for Afghanistan, they roll over and don't fight back

And geniuses of team management thought dube was better than rinku.Rohit should know the value of such young great partner and finisher.Lets hope Gambhir have more sense than dravid and others

Lol this is such a waste of match.

Afghanistan won't win against India. They can't do that. They don't want to do that.

I wish india were in other group.
Other group is way tougher than this one.

The way they choked against West Indies, I am sure that they are going nowhere today as well.

Suryakumar Yadav (India player) Press Conference - 19th June 2024

[Reporter:]

Surya, you have been the number one batsman in T20 format for the past two years. This time there are a lot of expectations as you are the premier batsman of this Indian T20 side. How do you see your role, the way the wicket is challenging here? You have had to change the game personally. Tell us about that.

[Suryakumar Yadav:]

I mean, as you said, I have been the world's number one batsman for the past two years. So, you should know how to bat according to different conditions. And how you can change your game, what the team needs at that time. If you can play like that, I think it displays a good batsmanship. And I try to do that if the wicket throw is difficult and there is no opportunity like I used to do in my previous batting. So, I try to change it.

Your full range of shots were not possible in US, at least in New York. So, are you happy coming here? And what do you think of the pitch here?

I was happy playing there as well. It's not that we weren't happy playing there, but we were playing for the first time, so yes, the conditions were different and a little challenging as well. But we’ve played here, we know the conditions here, how they react, how they act, so we are very happy to be here.

Here, it was covered, it rained when I went on to the field while fielding. But yeah, it looks better.

The same question I had, because yesterday we had a look at the wicket. It was very brownish, which is rare to have here in Barbados. Are you surprised?

Not really. I mean last time also when we were here for ODIs, it was a similar kind of wicket But I don't think there has been a lot of cricket played here in the last 10-15 days. We said the practice wickets were also good. So, we are expecting that the game wicket will also be much better.

Just an extension of that question. Have you noticed a difference in terms of the practice pitches that you got in the USA and here and if you have, are you relieved that the practice pitches probably may have improved while you are here?

Practice pitches, yeah, they were a little spicy there. It was fresh. They made the conditions - after they got to know that there's a World Cup over there and here, they've been making pitches regularly. But yeah, the practice wicket here were much better from what we did in USA. It was a little spicy, but yeah, but much better

Surya When the ball is not coming onto the bat as readily as it typically does in T20 cricket, when you have to generate the power, especially when you're playing these ramp shots and trying to scoop and you don't have enough pace on the ball, how do you sort of adapt to that situation?

Hit the gap and run hard.

How do you generate force in that angle?

As I said, it’s difficult to generate that force when there's no pace on the wicket and when someone has read your game nicely. So, at that time, you have to be very smart how you want to extend your innings. If you can't bat the way you have been batting in the last one year or two years, you have to change, according to the situation, what team demands at that moment. And talk to your partner who's inside, calm your nerves down, and then take the innings ahead.

You hit a 49-ball half century in New York, and it was not like you at all. Can you take us through what was going on in your mind and how did you manage that kind of grit while you had to limit your stroke plays?

When we thought about it, I knew post power play finding boundaries is going to be difficult on that ground with the wind, with the slow outfield. So, we had a plan in mind after power play that just try and hit the gap, run hard. It was a little difficult track to bat on, yes, but that day the situation was different. We had to be batting till the end, keeping the wickets in hand. So that's what was running in my mind. The same thing, I spoke to Shivam as well. We were just away from one or two hits and yeah, we got the game that way.

Surya, just an extension of one of the previous questions regarding gameplay against spin, with Afghanistan and Bangladesh being there on your group, you expect a lot of spinners to, as a face. So just wanted to know that maybe you as a batter, personally, you are trying to play more cross-batter, short sweep, reverse sweep, or maybe acclimatize according to the situation of the game.

That has always been my strong point. I mean, if the wicket is slow, spinner is bowling, or if the wicket is good. That has always been my game. I've tried to play the same way what I do in the practice sessions. And I mean, yeah, everyone has a different game plan. Looking at the wickets against the spinners, all have different mindsets. But yeah, when they come together and bring the skill set, I think it'll be good. And it's nice.

Afghanistan has done giant killing in this T20 tournament, defeated New Zealand also. Your next match is against them, first match of Super 8 - How do you plan to shape up your match?

We do obviously have plans against Afghanistan, but we are completely focused and have our strong points really well. We are working on that. And I mean, we do think about the opposition. But at the same time, at the end of the day, you should know what your strong points are and back it.

When Virat and Rohit open the batting, and by chance if both of them get out quickly and when you play in the middle order or with Rishabh – does your style of play change? Because two of your experienced players get out, or one of them plays? Because till now Virat used to play at number three, so you got an extra depth. You got more chances to play your shots. When these two players open up and the wicket falls quickly, as it has been happening so far, do you feel that your shots are going in your mind or your demands, as the team management tells you?

Nothing like that has happened, because it's a format. We try to play it in that format. And if you're two or three wickets down - at the end of the day, if you are batting first, you have to put runs on the scoreboard. So, your intent doesn't change. So, we both try to bat with the same intent. And we keep telling each other that it would be better if we take a positive route, rather than having a double thought. And the two people who are batting inside, the management and the captain have said that they are the best who can take decisions. From the team's point of view, what is important at that time. So, we think and then act accordingly.

Everyone is thinking of only one responsibility, batting, batting, batting, but you are standing in the slip also, the ball is not coming out, it is getting tied down, after taking the important catch in the Pakistan match, your faced showed the same happiness which you had when you scored 50, tell us about the fielding and that responsibility.

Sir, I feel that fielding is a part which is non-negotiable. Everyone has worked hard on it. It seems like everyone has worked hard. And in these close, tight games, half chances are very important. Because they decide the game in the end. So, we have thought about that. Everyone comes and spends time with their fielding coach. And when you stop two or four runs in fielding and take a good catch, then positivity spreads in the team. When you are batting – the happiness is of course there. Everyone likes it inside. But when you field and catch something like that, or you hit a good run out or stop a run, the happiness spreads to 9-10 people. So, it's something that we have taken a little more seriously this time. And it feels good to see.

Over the years, your role with the team has changed. If you could tell us about that transition, when you came to the dressing room as a youngster, and today where you are standing, especially when a very important time of the tournament is about to begin, when you look back at your career and your role in the team, if you could tell us how it has changed over the years and how much the team relies on you for this.

I didn't come here as a youngster, but I had played domestic cricket and first-class cricket, played IPL seasons. So, I knew when I walk into that dressing room, what would be expected of me, why I am picked at someone's place. And I was very clear in my mind.

Of how I have to play – at that spot. If I want to play at the number 4 spot, how I have to play and how others have played.

I always thought that during the most difficult phase of T20 – like between 7 to 14, 7 to 16, - I had thought about that a lot before making my debut for India. If I do well here, if I bat with a good strike rate, then I can be a game changer on that day. And when I kept doing it repeatedly, I felt that this is my game plan going forward. Because if you bat in power play, you know the players are inside. You can play good cricketing shots and hit boundaries. But in between 7 to 15, where can you hit boundaries, where can you step up and take the team ahead at that time so that it gets easier at the death side of it. I thought a lot about this. And I've practiced a lot on this. I've done a lot of match simulations. So now when I go to bat in a match, I know the situations. I try to, again, change the game for the team. And I just try and do that. If it works, then it's fine. If it doesn't, then it's fine. We'll try again

You've played here in the One Day Series also. So, it looks like you'll have a lot of turn here on this pitch. And the other question is, it's a tiring tour. Because you have to stay in one or two cities for two days. So how much stress will this put on your mind?

I think it's very important how you take care of your body. Because we got time there, we don't have that much time in Super 8. You play a game; you travel again the next day. So, you have to focus more on recovery. You won't get that much practice sessions. Whatever was here, and now it's a professional world, everyone takes care of themselves. How to recover, how to sleep. And we don't play T20s in the morning. In daylight, we are used to playing in the night. Day games we have hardly played 3-4. So, it's very important for you to pay attention to that. But if you push for 3 hours, you'll get a 1.5 day's rest.

Virat Kohli 'Frustrated', India To Make 1 Big Change For Afghanistan Clash In Super 8s: Report​

Skipper Rohit Sharma has already stressed on the use of four all-rounders (two pace and two spin) to balance the playing XI. Therefore, he is unlikely to compromise on that front. So the only way Kuldeep fits into the XI is if India drop a third pacer.

Kuldeep, much like the opening practice session, had an extended bowling session on Tuesday. He bowled to Rohit and Virat Kohli, who employed the slog sweep against the wrist spinners.

With head coach Rahul Dravid watching on, Kuldeep was bowling to an imaginary field against Rohit, who was beaten by the left-armer at the start of the session.

If the ball turns at the main square as much as it has been doing in the nets, drafting in Kuldeep seems like a no brainer. Having said that, one can never be sure about the pitch behaviour come game day.

It could be a good batting wicket as Australia piled on 201 against arch rivals England in the league stage of the competition here.

"The pitch should turn in the middle as well, may be not as much as it is doing in the nets but will definitely turn. The spinners have proved quite useful throughout the Caribbean thus far. I don't think India will make any changes, they would not want to compromise on their batting," said a former international who was present at the venue.

Two days before the game, all squad members turned up for training on Tuesday. All 15 came on Monday.

Kohli, looking to get back among the runs, had a long hit, majority of them being throwdowns before he moved to the adjacent net to face Kuldeep and Khaleel Ahmed. Kohli middled most of the balls against Kuldeep but missed out on a few from Khaleel, leaving him frustrated.

Virat Kohli 'Frustrated', India To Make 1 Big Change For Afghanistan Clash In Super 8s: Report​

Skipper Rohit Sharma has already stressed on the use of four all-rounders (two pace and two spin) to balance the playing XI. Therefore, he is unlikely to compromise on that front. So the only way Kuldeep fits into the XI is if India drop a third pacer.

Kuldeep, much like the opening practice session, had an extended bowling session on Tuesday. He bowled to Rohit and Virat Kohli, who employed the slog sweep against the wrist spinners.

With head coach Rahul Dravid watching on, Kuldeep was bowling to an imaginary field against Rohit, who was beaten by the left-armer at the start of the session.

If the ball turns at the main square as much as it has been doing in the nets, drafting in Kuldeep seems like a no brainer. Having said that, one can never be sure about the pitch behaviour come game day.

It could be a good batting wicket as Australia piled on 201 against arch rivals England in the league stage of the competition here.

"The pitch should turn in the middle as well, may be not as much as it is doing in the nets but will definitely turn. The spinners have proved quite useful throughout the Caribbean thus far. I don't think India will make any changes, they would not want to compromise on their batting," said a former international who was present at the venue.

Two days before the game, all squad members turned up for training on Tuesday. All 15 came on Monday.

Kohli, looking to get back among the runs, had a long hit, majority of them being throwdowns before he moved to the adjacent net to face Kuldeep and Khaleel Ahmed. Kohli middled most of the balls against Kuldeep but missed out on a few from Khaleel, leaving him frustrated.

Why are they revealing this , absolute bonkers

Afghanistan won't win against India. They can't do that. They don't want to do that.

Basically Indian team just wins because PCT and Afghan teams don’t want to win against us.
We always make it to second rounds because of charity of teams.

Wonder if Ind does same with Aus and NZ we just love how Hobbits and convicts are awesome.

Afganistan will giving india taught fight unlike Pakistan .

Rahul Dravid (India Coach) pre-match Press Conference - 19th June 2024

Well, playing in a country where cricket is held regularly unlike in America and taking on Afghanistan which has a not caring attitude, how do you see this match?

[Rahul Dravid:]

Yeah, I mean, firstly, it was good to play in New York. I thought all the three games that we played were really well attended, which is fantastic. But it's also now lovely to come to the Caribbean, come to Barbados, to come to this ground which has a great history and a great tradition of cricket in this country and in this region. It is fantastic as well and we are really looking forward to it. We have had a couple of days of really good practice and we feel we are ready, we feel we are rested, we feel we are prepared. And we know Afghanistan is a very dangerous team in this format of the game. They have shown their performances in this World Cup. But also, if you just look at their squad, they might not have a lot of international experience as in the other formats of the game, but a lot of their players do play in a lot of T20 leagues, more than in fact some of our players do. But they are sort of well-travelled cricketers, especially in the T20 circuit, T20 league, a lot of them. They are very prominent members of their IPL teams, other teams as well. So, certainly in this format they are not a team to be taken lightly. They are deservedly in the Super 8’s and we will not treat them any differently as we would treat any other team that we expect to play in the Super 8s.

Rahul, in India, Indian team generally used to playing white ball cricket under lights. So, in all games now onwards, even in New York, will be in the day. So due factor kept aside, that is eliminated anyway. What were the challenges for the Indian team to play in the day time?

Like you said, it is slightly different for this generation of cricketers. They don't play a lot of games at 10:30. But look, I don't think it's too much of a hassle. Once you get used to it, once you get your mind around it, as we have, there are some, obviously, factors that, like you said rightly, the dew will not be a factor. So not something that we would consider at a say for a 10:30 game, but then there are other things which you might consider like the slowness of the pitch or other factors that you would consider when it is a day game So there are certain I'd say tactical things that might be slightly different. But other than that, to be honest, I think it doesn't really make too much of a difference. The guys are used to it now. I think there will be great crowds even for this game, whether it's at 10:30 or whether it's at 8 o'clock. I expect most India games to have very good crowds. So, I think from that perspective, I don't really think it makes too much of a difference.

Rahul, you spoke about a flexible batting order, something that Rohit also alluded to, saying that the openers will be static and the rest will change depending on the situation. Is it something that is specific to a T20 perspective or do you see this happening across formats going forward? Not just for India, I'm just saying in a larger perspective.

I just think each situation is unique. I think each situation is unique. It's hard to keep something set in stone. At least that's my belief. I always do believe in being flexible in your thinking, being able to adapt to situations. What does your team require? What do the conditions require? I think it's something that we've always been conscious of, the concept of being able to have players who can be adaptable and float in that middle order if and when required. And it's something that we've continuously striven to do as and when required and as and when possible. Not just for the sake of it. A lot of times you make these changes, keeping something specific in mind. It works sometimes, it doesn't work sometimes. I think you can't judge everything only on the results. You always have to go behind and see what is the thinking behind some of these things. Various situations will demand. The Pakistan game, we moved Aksar up the order. There was a specific thinking around it. There are other situations where we have moved Rishabh a little bit up the order in this thing. So, there's been a little bit of thinking around that. So yeah, there's a lot of thought that goes into some of these things and we do think about it. But again, I mean, I don't think the Test format will have too many flexibilities. One day cricket again, we are seeing that, depending. But I think in the T20 format, especially with the match-ups, with the dimensions of ground, with the kind of conditions, you do see it happening quite a lot more in the T20 format where I guess every over or every 10 balls is actually quite critical and matters much more than probably it does in another format. I think most teams, I think, are trying to make use of that, trying to make use of match-ups, trying to make use of the best use of their resources to try and get maximize the 120 balls that they can.

Rahul, you've of course as a player you've played here, not the best memories of the 97 test, I'm sure.

Rahul Gandhi – Jeez, thanks a lot buddy. Had some other decent memories also in life.

So yeah, that is actually my question. So, a chance for you to probably make new and much better memories tomorrow.

God man, I'm not trying to make new anything man. I move on from things very quickly. I think that's one of my things. I don't look back on things. I try and do what I am doing now at the moment. I am not concerned about what happened in 1997 or some other year. If you had told me that by winning this, you would ensure that instead of scoring whatever we scored 80, we would make it 121, then I would be bothered. But even if we win this match tomorrow, unfortunately, that is still going to remain 80 on the scorecard. However much I might try and will it. So no, I do not think about any retribution or thinking back and looking at it. I move on from things. What's in front of me, what's here, good or bad. I think it's one of the things - I don't think of myself too much as a player anymore. And yeah, just move on. Focus on tomorrow. Try and get a good result tomorrow. Prepare the team as best as we can.

Rahul, what would you think about the outfield dimension, because it matters in T20 cricket – there is a slope, a much better outfield. Compared to New York how do you see this pitch?

Again, that’s a factor you will consider. Like I answered the earlier question, sometimes you consider tactical things. Obviously, while dew may not be a factor, maybe the wind could be a factor in this place. The wind blows quite strongly from one side to the other. Like you said, the boundary sizes might be smaller on one side, bigger on one side. There's a bit of a slope. It's probably be a quicker outfield than what we experienced in New York. So, again, we'll have to adjust, we'll have to adapt. We've discussed these things to be very honest. We've had some really fruitful meetings over the last couple of days, both as a leadership group and even with the players, quite a few individual chats as well, team chats. So, yes, a lot of these points have come up. There's a lot of intelligence in the group. It's not just us as coaches talking to the players, but so many of these players have played so many games. They have a lot of experience. We've in fact in our squad, we think we have seven or eight guys who captain teams regularly. So, there's a lot of intelligence, a lot of conversations, a lot of ideas that do come out and become part of the discussion. So, yeah, I've really been happy with some of the chats we've been having over the last few days and really hope we can now execute some of the things. And that's the most important thing, is the ability to execute. Ideas are good, I think. We've got really good ideas, good plans. But you need to be able to execute them too, then for them to look good as well.

Rahul, one of the impetuses for you as a leadership was to become more proactive when batting and being okay with taking risks. Whereas when you came here for the World Cup, you were presented with completely different conditions to which you all adjusted very well. But again, it was three matches at the same venue. Now, you're coming into the business end and you're getting a new venue every time, and especially if you're put in, and even if you go three, four hours without like really assessing the conditions really well that can cost you the game. So, how do you go about, what are the best practices you put in to go about mitigating that kind of a misstep?

Like you rightly said, a lot of the impetus over the last few years – and I think we’ve done it in most parts, has been to push the needle forward. If you look at a lot of our stats and numbers, we have pushed the needle forward in terms of our batting. There's no question about it.

Sometimes in certain conditions - you've just got to be mindful of conditions also. I think sometimes we just get carried away in T20 cricket and just talking about pushing the needle forward, pushing the needle forward. But then, it's also, cricket is a very condition-specific game. It's one of the only sports left where the surface makes such an impact on the actual skill levels, the actual performance levels, what is an acceptable performance level. It's one sport that we play where the surface makes a huge difference and it has to be brought into consideration at all times. I think we saw that in the US and we saw that in New York, that had to be brought into consideration not only for us but for other teams as well. I think everyone had to do that. Actually, even in Australia at sometimes, there were times in that where you had to bring that into consideration. Not every wicket is Hyderabad or not every wicket can be the same. So, I think that's something we pride ourselves in as well. I think we are trying to also get that ability to be smart in our decision making, to try and assess situations cleverly. We feel we've got the experience and the knowledge and also the ability to counteract different situations that may present themselves. And then, of course, we are looking at things that the past games that have been played here, what have been the scores, what's the level of swing that people are experiencing, amount of turn they're getting, what's the bounds. So, you look at all of these factors and you come up with some basic ideas as to what you might think is the thing. But again, I think you've got to keep an open mind. I think that's an important thing. You might have all the stats, you might have all the data, but on the day, sometimes conditions can be very different to what you think it is. Just because a particular ground has produced certain number of runs in the past or even in 10 days prior, it can be very different because the preparation of a wicket, the weather, so much can change. Even in the two or three days leading into a particular game, a lot can change that can force you to recalibrate and rethink. I think we will have to do that, be quick and smart and be able to do that and assess the conditions. I hope we will do that. If We want to succeed in this tournament, like you rightly said. Teams are going to play in different venues. All teams are going to have to be quick in adapting and assessing those situations.

I just want to know that on those drop-in pitches In New York, we had eight batsmen in our batting lineup. But considering the conditions over here and some of the teams which has played all the matches over here, some wrist spinners are doing really well, like Adam Zampa, Adil Rashid. So, does that come into the scheme of things as well, going into the Super 8 stage?

Absolutely. We've built our squad believing that anyone in the 15 can come into the side and play. A lot of thought has gone into the squad, keeping all kinds of conditions in mind. We're lucky that we've got a few all-rounders in the mix that allow us to be able to do that. So, like you rightly said, even though in New York we had eight batting options, we also had seven bowling options. So, we had both sides covered to a large extent. Yes, of course, the wrist spinners we do understand play a big role. We've got two really quality wrist spinners. So, certainly I'm sure that they will come into this tournament sooner rather than later.

Taking that forward, coach, how difficult was it to leave Kuldeep out of the playing XI because he's been probably India’s best spinner across formats and we’ve seen turn in the practice pitches – so your thoughts on the pitches as well and how big a role is he going to play in the Super 8s?

It's tough to leave anyone out. All the four guys that we left out in those games, to be honest, are all quality players, quality performers. Any one of them actually coming into your squad, if you were to look at it, man for man will not make your squad a weaker squad. It's just that the conditions and what we felt was the requirement in that particular venue made us go with that particular combination where we felt that there wasn't a huge role for spin and it was more a pace bowlers kind of conditions. And we also wanted to ensure that we had the depth on those tricky kind of wickets if and when required. So that's what we went there with. Here it might be different obviously without giving too much away certainly it might be slightly different here we might need feel the need that we might need an extra spinner and then certainly someone like Kuldeep or Yuzi with their quality and their skill do come into play and do become really big factors for us and that is the thinking in which why they have been selected because we knew that conditions could be potentially different in each of the different islands or each of the different countries.

[inaudible]

I mean, like I said, there's no point going into the preconceived notion of deciding that this is what we will do. It is important for us to recognise that they have a good bowling attack all round. Even their two pacers are quite experienced, whether it's Faruqi and Naveen Ul Haq have both played a lot of cricket, they both swing the ball as well. So, they've got a pretty good bowling attack, there's no doubt about it. I think their bowlers are some of the most sought-after bowlers in this format across the world in different leagues. We understand that that is going to pose a challenge to us and we are going to have to play well and counter that. We have got the skills and we have tried to create the balance and the depth in the squad that allows us to counter their bowling attack, not only spinners, but fast bowlers as well. Counter their bowling attack, that hopefully we can get a power-pullout score or chase down whatever score they set for us.\

I am not happy with the squad. I reluctantly root for this team. I mean i want them to win. But won't care if they lose as it gives me an for "I told you so" . You would rather want to lose with a bunch of youngsters than these "experienced seniors".

I am not happy with the squad. I reluctantly root for this team. I mean i want them to win. But won't care if they lose as it gives me an for "I told you so" . You would rather want to lose with a bunch of youngsters than these "experienced seniors".
Indian Cricket management don't care what typical fans got to say. They pay big bucks to expert selectors for a reason.

Indian Cricket management don't care what typical fans got to say. They pay big bucks to expert selectors for a reason.
What reason? lol You sound like selector job is some kind of scientific job. They basically take the feedback from captain and give the squad. No rocket science. Useless picked Chahal for no reason 2nd world cup in a row.

EASY WIN FOR INDIA. unless something goes terribly wrong. AFG will lose every match in this stage and will go out with Bangladesh

this is going to be a hella contest, afghanistan vs india is the new pakistan vs india

It's a day game and that makes it interesting. Afg has spin options and with no dew toss would not matter to their spinners. Dont remember ind afg ever playing a t20 day game against each other ever.. but don't think it will be a cakewalk for ind.. afg can spring a surprise tomorrow

Afghans are usually a lot meeker in front of India. Easy India win here for me.
They are not meek. They give their best. Asia cup tie. In the world cup 2019 Afghanistan gave India a scare before Shami's 50th over where he took 3 wickets. Most recent encounter early this year ended in a tie and ended in two super overs. Both teams are super familiar with each other as they play for IPL.

This is India's game to win.

Could be a close contest but I don't think Afghanistan is going to beat india.

Afghanistan always try hard against India , despite the accusations here.

Only time they looked like they weren't trying was the World Cup match against Pakistan in Chennai

That chase looked absolutely effortless.

Basically Indian team just wins because PCT and Afghan teams don’t want to win against us.
We always make it to second rounds because of charity of teams.

Wonder if Ind does same with Aus and NZ we just love how Hobbits and convicts are awesome.
Lol Pakistan do try to win against but they just fold under pressure against India

Afghanistan never really try to win against India. It's a proven fact. They don't want to do that. Their livelihood depends on India.

I will only believe if this time Afghanistan best them. LOL

Lol they never do that. Hahahah
They always try but India plays much better so game becomes one-sided.

They always want to play well against India so they can get big contracts in IPL. The last t20 match between Ind and Afghanistan was a TIE!

Pa

Pakistan has given India fight many times. And have even demolished us 2 times in recent years.

Unfortunately since 2006,
Pakistan's won 11 ODIs, India's won 22 ODIs.

In T20s, we have won just 3 games, whereas India have won 10 games.

Lot of reverse jinxing going on lol People want Afghanistan to beat India. That's okay . There is no rivalry there. We are happy to lose to them

Afghanistan has NEVER beaten India in any form of cricket. Will today/tonight be the day?

Last edited by a moderator:
Afghanistan never really try to win against India. It's a proven fact. They don't want to do that. Their livelihood depends on India.

"pRovEn fAcT" :murali

Absolutely love how everything is a conspiracy for you guys. Just because Pakistan is a mid team and makes Afghanistan look better than they are , doesn't mean all teams should do that. Even then, they came pretty close to beating us in 2018 and 2019.

Pretty sure if Afg lost to India the way they lost to Australia after having them at 90/7 in Mumbai, you lot would have shouted "RAW ki saazish" at the top of your lungs. :LOL:

As per media reports, the weather is expected to remain good by the first innings of the game, there is 40 per cent chance of rainfall during the second innings.

Virat is cooked and so is Rohit although he can connect a few before losing the plot. SKY has 0 form but I still do not mind him. Pant is a solid, dependable bat.

The you have the rest of pretend AR - Hardik, Jaddu and Dube.

Calamitous team selection. No Rinku and Jaiswal is craziness to everyone but the TM.

Afghanistan are a very dangerous side deservingly in Super 8. Their players play more in leagues than Indian players. They are not a team to be taken lightly.

"pRovEn fAcT" :murali

Absolutely love how everything is a conspiracy for you guys. Just because Pakistan is a mid team and makes Afghanistan look better than they are , doesn't mean all teams should do that. Even then, they came pretty close to beating us in 2018 and 2019.

Pretty sure if Afg lost to India the way they lost to Australia after having them at 90/7 in Mumbai, you lot would have shouted "RAW ki saazish" at the top of your lungs. :LOL:
Lol here comes another middle aged soldier to defend motherland hahahaha.

India will beat Afghanistan convincing. LOL. It's a proven fact hahahah.

Afghanistan are a very dangerous side deservingly in Super 8. Their players play more in leagues than Indian players. They are not a team to be taken lightly.
They are the 2nd best white ball team in Asia as the world cup 2023 showed.

Kuldeep will most likely come into the team for Caribbean phase instead of Siraj I guess.

Ind needs a reality check with its washed up senior tuk tuks. Travesty not to include jaiswal and Kuldeep in the starting 11. They dont need 2 darters in axar and jadeja. Also rinku is not even in the team. The afg spinners can put a stranglehold on the ind top order. And siraj is 1 seamer extra for these conditions. They should play Kuldeep instead of siraj..

Former Indian cricketer Kris Srikkanth while speaking to a local sports channel:

“You can’t take things lightly against Afghanistan. They have a good team and a terrific bowling side. So, I was the Indian captain, if I was Rohit Sharma, I would like to bat first. Don’t let Afghanistan bat first because if that happens they will score around 160-170 and their bowlers are good enough to maybe defend the total. While Afghanistan’s bowling is very strong, their batting is very weak.”

Former Indian cricketer Kris Srikkanth while speaking to a local sports channel:

“You can’t take things lightly against Afghanistan. They have a good team and a terrific bowling side. So, I was the Indian captain, if I was Rohit Sharma, I would like to bat first. Don’t let Afghanistan bat first because if that happens they will score around 160-170 and their bowlers are good enough to maybe defend the total. While Afghanistan’s bowling is very strong, their batting is very weak.”
Yes he is right since it is a day game. There is no issue of dew.

Faisal vs Rohit/Kohli will be interesting. Both have issue against left arm seamers upfront when they are new to the crease.

Would be an easy win for India. India just needs to get Gurbaz out cheaply and match would be theirs. India has enough bowling power to restrict Afghanistan's batting to a modest total.

Going forward India needs to play to their strength, and their strength is bowling. India’s batting, even though not bad, doesn’t possess the firepower like other big teams have. They have to play smart and dont aim too high. If they can consistently score around 170-180, with their bowling they can beat most teams. Of course on a good day their batting can easily score over 200 as well.

Breeze is towards the bigger boundary cricifino says. So boundary hitting can be a little tricky towards that side.

Lovely weather conditions. 58m, 67m square boundaries, 70m down the ground. It looks a really good pitch with a few cracks on it. The ball should come on to the bat nicely and the bowlers need to bowl in the right areas. Batters should prosper on this wicket. A bat first pitch, reckons Sunil Gavaskar.

Back