India trail by 100 runs as they reach 77/1 after bowling out Australia for 177 on Day 1

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
The big one!

Lots of talk and now it's time soon to show what both sides are made of.

Australia squad: Pat Cummins (c), Ashton Agar, Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Peter Handscomb, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Lance Morris, Todd Murphy, Matthew Renshaw, Steve Smith (vc), Mitchell Starc, Mitchell Swepson and David Warner.

India squad: (for the first two Tests) Rohit Sharma (c), KL Rahul (vc), Shubman Gill, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KS Bharat, Ishan Kishan, Ravichandran Ashwin, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Ravindra Jadeja, Mohammed Shami, Mohammed Siraj, Umesh Yadav, Jaydev Unadkat and Suryakumar Yadav.

So this is what will separate the men from the boys!

Rohit
Gill
Pujara
Kohli
KL Rahul (Keeper)
SKY/Iyer (I read that Iyer is not available for 1st Test)
Jadeja
Ashwin
Kuldeep
Shami
Siraj

India vice-captain KL Rahul has revealed that the team could select three spinners for the opening match of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy series against Australia.

The four-match Test series against Australia is one of the most eagerly-anticipated series for some time, with the result also set to have a decisive impact on qualification for the ICC World Test Championship Final.

Australia and India occupy the top two spots in the WTC Standings and are favourites to meet again in the final in London in June. But Sri Lanka could yet finish in the top two should results fall in their favour.

"It is a must-win series, and when it’s India v Australia it always is – each team wants to win, it’s a big series,” Rahul told a media conference ahead of Thursday’s opening Test in Nagpur.

“I don’t think it’s any different to any other Border-Gavaskar series that we play. Yes, we do realise that there’s a World Test Championship Final that we all want to play in and are looking forward to, but we also don’t want to think too far ahead, take it one game at a time and remain in the present, win the first game here in Nagpur and then go from there.”

One of the big selection discussions surrounding the India team will be if and where Shubman Gill plays in the batting order.

The youngster has been in superb form in white-ball cricket and scored an excellent century in Bangladesh in the first Test of that series in December. But competition for places is fierce, and it is unclear whether Gill will open the batting, slot into the middle order, or miss out on selection for the XI in Nagpur altogether.

Asked specifically about Gill’s role, Rahul remained tight-lipped on the make-up of the side.

“We still haven’t decided on the final playing XI, but all I can say is it’s going to be a really tough decision. There are guys who have performed exceedingly well, and there are few spots open, so there are a few discussions going on and the players are being spoken to.

“I think every time you play for the country it’s always a tough decision to select the playing XI. All 15 or 16 guys that are selected are all top quality and have performed, that’s why they are here. Everyone on their given day can be a match winner.

“We always try and make a decision based on what is best for the team in that given Test match," Rahul continued.

"We’ve had questions raised previously about why certain players are playing and then not the next Test match. I’ve played for ten years, but you can play for 20 or 30 years of the game and even after you retire there’s nobody who can look at a pitch and say 'this is exactly what’s going to happen', it’s purely based on a little bit of experience and history of that surface to try and make that decision.

“Sometimes it is tough on the players who miss out, but that’s how the game goes. Everyone has gone through that journey, and everybody here is very clear about what the team is thinking, why they’re playing or why they’re not playing, what their roles and responsibilities are. The atmosphere in the changing room is really good and everyone is really clear on what the captain and the coach want.”

With the ball, Australia are bringing one of the highest-calibre fast-bowling attacks in the world to India. And Rahul is aware of the threat the Aussie quicks will pose, both with the new ball and with reverse swing.

But the vice-captain suggested that the Indian camp are expecting spinning conditions, and could even opt for three spinners in their XI if the final pitch conditions merit it.

“The things that we’ve worked on is playing spin, we know how the pitches are going to be here in India and what to expect, so bearing that in mind we’ve practiced playing spin,” KL said.

“There will be a temptation to play three spinners. We’re playing in India, there’s no surprise that the pitch is going to spin. But we’ll make that call on the day of the game.

"Any team that has quality fast bowlers like Australia who can exploit reverse swing is going to be dangerous on pitches like this.

"We know the threat that they bring to the series, with the new ball and with the older ball if it starts reversing. That’s the beauty of playing against top teams. Especially playing against Australia, that’s what excites you, the challenges.”

The series begins on Thursday in Nagpur, with further Tests to follow in Delhi, Dharamsala and Ahmedabad.

ICC

I am nervous because with some injuries to Australia I am expecting an easy walkover for India because on paper our team looks absolutely unbeatable at home and that’s when usually upsets happen :(

I am nervous because with some injuries to Australia I am expecting an easy walkover for India because on paper our team looks absolutely unbeatable at home and that’s when usually upsets happen :(

Well on paper it's a very poor team.. only Gill and Siraj (may be kuldeep too) is somewhat reliable.. all others are over the hill or new to test or coming back from injury..

Well on paper it's a very poor team.. only Gill and Siraj (may be kuldeep too) is somewhat reliable.. all others are over the hill or new to test or coming back from injury..

Look at India’s bowling (on paper) Ashwin, Shami, Siraj, Jadeja, Kuldeep, Axar, Umesh

Even the ones not guaranteed starters like Umesh and Axar have dream stats in bowling in Indian conditions.

Yes Rohit and Kohli and to some extent Pujara are done but on paper they are big names.

That’s why I said on paper this side looks great.

If you add Pant to this side once he comes back this will look even more formidable at home.

Obviously matches are not won on paper. Who expected that Indian team in 2021 to beat that Aus team in Aus.

It will be big upset ,if australia not win the series this time in india,having gun inform batsman likes of Warner,labu,smith,kwajha,head,carey,green.

Marketing of this series is all time High. The hype is so real , can't wait for this series to start .

India will definitely win this series. It's just the no of matches India win will say how well Aussies have played. Whitewash will be a miracle for both India and Australia considering how good both the teams are. ind 3-1 chances are more, 2-2 well played Australia, aus 3-1 less likely, 3-0 for India with one match draw high chances..

It is important for Aussies to win this game to set the tone.

If India win, they should win the series too.

has someone already posted this & i've missed or is it again this form being slow on some things?
haha such strategies, mind games and trolling in a way with the pitch :)) will be interesting to see what else they'll do tomorrow
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-theme="dark"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Interesting treatment of the pitch in Nagpur. The groundstaff watered the entire centre of the surface & only the length areas outside the left-hander’s leg stump & then rolled only the centre, stopping short every time they got to the good length areas at both ends <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IndvAus?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#IndvAus</a> <a href="https://t.co/Myr2ZblqCg">pic.twitter.com/Myr2ZblqCg</a></p>— Bharat Sundaresan (@beastieboy07) <a href="https://twitter.com/beastieboy07/status/1622931080637734912?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 7, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
has someone already posted this & i've missed or is it again this form being slow on some things?
haha such strategies, mind games and trolling in a way with the pitch :)) will be interesting to see what else they'll do tomorrow
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-theme="dark"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Interesting treatment of the pitch in Nagpur. The groundstaff watered the entire centre of the surface & only the length areas outside the left-hander’s leg stump & then rolled only the centre, stopping short every time they got to the good length areas at both ends <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IndvAus?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#IndvAus</a> <a href="https://t.co/Myr2ZblqCg">pic.twitter.com/Myr2ZblqCg</a></p>— Bharat Sundaresan (@beastieboy07) <a href="https://twitter.com/beastieboy07/status/1622931080637734912?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 7, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Aussies are obsessed with conditions. Nagpur is as dry as a place gets without being a desert. They will find nothing but dust. :afridi

"Straight-Up Doctoring", Claim Aussie Experts On Nagpur Pitch, Ask For ICC's Intervention

Every time a Test series is held in India, accusations of the hosts preparing a wicket that overwhelmingly suits them are made. With just a day to go before the Border-Gavaskar series between India and Australia begins in Nagpur, a few Aussie 'experts' have accused India of 'doctoring' the pitch to suit their team. A few pictures of the pitch surfaced on social media on Tuesday, with Steve Smith suggesting that the wicket was 'pretty dry'. The Australian batter also went into details, suggesting left-arm spinners are likely to extract extensive help. Back in Australia, some of the former cricketers and experts have called for the International Cricket Council's intervention on the matter.

As per a report in Fox Cricket, reporters on the ground claimed that only the center of the Nagpur wicket was watered and rolled, whereas the exact area which will be targeted by left-handers was left dry.

Such a step was reportedly taken at both ends of the wicket, with accusations of there being an attempt to make things difficult for left-handers, like David Warner, Usman Khawaja, and Travis Head.

One of the cricket writers in Australia went on to label India's preparation as 'pitch doctoring'.

"The classic saying about pitches is, 'Oh, it's the same for everyone'," Robert Craddock said on SEN. "When the Gabba pitch had too much grass left on it, people were saying, 'Yes, it was not a great wicket, but it was the same everyone'.

"But you can't say that about this pitch. Australia has six left-handers in their top eight, so if you start multi-preparing parts of the deck that's straight-up pitch doctoring, it's poor.

"Ninety percent of me feels frustrated about it, but the other 10 percent is it's a narrative for the series, it's just building up beautifully, isn't it?

"It's a bit of old-fashioned hijinks. Test cricket needs these plots and the drama side of me enjoys it," he said.

Former Australia all-rounder Simon O'Donnell said that the ICC should step in and look into the matter if they feel something isn't right.

"The ICC should step in and do something about it, if they think it's not right," he said.

"If they think the pitch is not right, there'll be an ICC referee at the game and the ICC will be watching this game. But there's so many when it comes to India, we have all of these discussions, and nothing seems to happen.

"If they really think there's a pitch here that doesn't play to the normal standards of test cricket and the characteristics of this ground, then the ICC need to do something," he added.

https://sports.ndtv.com/india-vs-au...tervention-3762984#pfrom=home-ndtv_topstories

These guys should not forget that they lost 2 consecutive series on their own pitches against India. They should be last ones to sook about the pitches.

Better Australian teams than this team came to India and lost miserably on pitches where Indian pacers did far better than their Aussie counterparts.

One of the ex selectors wants Surya to be chosen ahead of Pujara for tests. Let that sink in. I mean, the audacity to even think that one can replace Pujara with someone who's yet to play a test, boggles my mind. No wonder poor Pujara has been a scapegoat all his life #BGT2023

— Dodda Ganesh | (@doddaganesha) February 7, 2023

I agree with Ganesh on wrongly prioritizing Sky over Pujara in our test XI.

But do not agree with him on Pujara being a scapegoat all his life. Pujara has got a very very long rope over last 2-3 years despite being very poor in the only format he plays at international level.

Hopefully, they won't pick Ishan as WK in the final XI.

The Border-Gavaskar Trophy between India and Australia hasn't even begun, and accusations of the Nagpur pitch, where the first Test is to take place, being ‘doctored' have been made. Some Australian journalists and former cricketers feel India are preparing the pitch differently in different segments. When India skipper Rohit Sharma was asked about this in the press conference on Wednesday, he gave the most perfect response. Rohit, speaking to journalists in Nagpur on the eve of the first Test, said that the focus needs to be on the match and not the pitch.

“Just focus on cricket and not the pitch. After all the 22 guys out there are all quality players,” Rohit said in response to the question.

Speaking of the pitch, Rohit admitted that the surface is going to offer help to spinners. Hence, he stressed on the importance of rotating strike.

“It is important to have a plan and figure a way. Everyone has a different method. Some like to sweep some reverse some hitting over the bowler. You need to rotate strike and sometimes you need to counterattack.

“The captains would obviously try different things and change fields and bowlers. So you need to plan and play accordingly,” he added.

Speaking of the highly-anticipated series, Rohit admitted that beating Australia in the 4-match Test assignment will be challenging, though India have put in the required work to best prepare themselves for a positive result.

"We have four solid test matches to play in the BGT and we would want to win the series. It is going to be a challenging series and we have to be up for it. Preparation is the key. If you prepare well, you get results," he asserted.

The vibe is different for India vs Australia compared to how it was when Australia visited Pakistan.

Then it was about salvation and history. Also brotherhood, whatever that is. More importantly, there was no rivalry. Everyone knew pitches will be flat, everything will depend on Babar and Shaheen, Pakistan will put up fight here or there but in the end, series result will depend on Australia not adapting to the conditions. In their heart of hearts, everyone knows you don't need to adopt to flat pitches. They are the same in Pakistan as they are in West Indies or SA. The home advantage was comprehensively negated by Pakistan to themselves. It was about red carpet.

India vs Australia, there is real buzz. There is an edge to it. It is about world domination. India are undisputed kings at home. Australia are good travelers off late. This is what test cricket is about. Much anticipation and a real event to watch.

Ultimately, Pakistan's test season was a wasted year. Nothing gained, except a tick box on return of test cricket. And a pat on the back for hospitality.

Last edited:
I agree with Ganesh on wrongly prioritizing Sky over Pujara in our test XI.

But do not agree with him on Pujara being a scapegoat all his life. Pujara has got a very very long rope over last 2-3 years despite being very poor in the only format he plays at international level.

Pujara has been slowly returning to form.

They should have selected Vihari in place of SKY. Choosing a T20 hard hitter for a test match is one of the more bizarre ideas I've come across.

Former India head coach Ravi Shastri has named his preferred starting India XI to face Australia in the first Test of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy series.

The four-match Test series gets underway in Nagpur on Thursday, with India facing a number of intriguing selection dilemmas.

Speaking on his first appearance on The ICC Review, Shastri made a few big calls when asked who he’d pick in India’s XI for all the all-important opening match of the series against Australia, including making the bold claim: "India should win 4-0."

Ravi-Shastri-India-XI-3-.jpg

Here’s what the celebrated former India head coach said.

'India should look to win 4-0'

Australia’s Test tour of India is their first since 2017, when India won a tight-fought series 2-1.

The two most recent Border-Gavaskar Trophy meetings between these nations have both been held in Australia, with India winning each series 2-1 – in 2018/19 and 2020/21.

And Shastri believes the mindset from India in 2023 should not just be to win the series, but to whitewash the team currently placed one spot above them at the summit of the MRF Tyres ICC Test Rankings.

"India should look to win 4-0, we’re playing at home. I’m brutal. I’ve been to two tours of Australia, I know what’s happened," Shastri told host Sanjana Ganesan on The ICC Review.

"My mindset would be, ‘How can I beat Australia 4-0 if I’m the coach’, which means day one, I want a ball to pitch on leg stump and hit off stump. I want it to rip.

"If someone asks me what kind of pitch? Expect that. If you lose the toss, expect the ball to turn in the first session of play. That’s what I want, and take it from there."

Kuldeep should start

Shastri says India should opt for the wrist-spin of Kuldeep Yadav to give their bowling attack an extra threat.

"I’d like to see some magic. I’d like to see some Kuldeep Yadav stuff,” he said.

"If you lose the toss on day one, if it’s a good pitch where it’s not turning, the finger spinner is not getting enough, I want a leg-spinner to be able to rip it. Spin it before probably any other spinner in the game."

Jadeja plays and Ashwin is crucial

India have a wealth of options when it comes to spin-bowling all-rounders. But for Shastri the choice is clear.

"(Ravindra) Jadeja comes back into the side, it was always going to be between Jadeja or Axar (Patel). You can play both actually, if you want to strengthen your batting.

"But Ash, for me, is the big card. An in-form (Ravichandran) Ashwin could help India dominate this series. If he is in form, real good form.

"And I’m not saying just with the ball. In these conditions he can play a massive role with the bat also lower down the order. If he’s on fire, I think India will win this series. Easily."

Five exciting player battles to watch out for in the upcoming India-Australia Test series
Which two quicks?

India will be missing strike bowler Jasprit Bumrah for the series. And in his absence, Shastri says there is a clear first-choice fast-bowling pairing to start the first Test.

"From what they have, I would think Mohammed Siraj and Mohammad Shami," he said.

"Umesh (Yadav) bowled well in Bangladesh, but since these two boys have been playing a lot together, they’re match fit, they’re in form (be it) white ball or red ball, they can play. They can start off."

SKY to bat at No.5

One of the major batting selection decisions for India will be who to select in the middle order.

"At number five, Suryakumar (Yadav) will get the position, because there’s no Shreyas (Iyer),” Shastri said.

"There’ll be talk about, 'can (Shubman) Gill bat at five?’ I think you need the right guy for the right number. At five, when you go there, especially if the ball is turning, then you need someone who is good at playing the right shots against spin.

"Surya demands that position. I think it’s straightforward."

KL Rahul vs Shubman Gill

If he does not slot into the middle order, the extraordinary form of Gill in white-ball cricket has nevertheless strengthened the youngster’s claim to start the opening Test against Australia.

And Shastri believes that the decision on Gill’s inclusion should come down to which of he or vice-captain KL Rahul looks in better touch to open the batting.

"Shubman or Rahul depends on the team management, what they think. Obviously, you'd want to go with what you've been doing in the past, but form becomes critical. You know, someone's hitting it real sweet and it's coming out of the centre of the bat. Then, you know, you wake up, and say, ‘listen’," Shastri said.

"I’d have been watching Gill and Rahul very closely in the nets. Very closely. If it’s a hard call; when I see footwork, when I see timing as to who is batting better. If it has to be Shubman ahead of Rahul, so be it. You know, straight. You have to see that. I won’t say that KL Rahul is the vice-captain so he becomes the automatic choice.

"It can happen. It happened once in my tenure when I was a coach in Sri Lanka. There was a series that happened in India, and there were two openers. And, you know, they wanted to persevere with one. I took over and then I just saw the form of Shikhar Dhawan in the nets, and he was red-hot straight after the Champion's Trophy in England. So we picked him and he got 190 in that game, and the rest is history."

Batting Highlights: KL Rahul scores another fifty, this time against Zimbabwe, to complete his return to form.

The best ‘keeper

The absence of Rishabh Pant will be keenly felt by India, with the wicket-keeper-batter recovering from his serious car accident in December.

And without Pant available, Shastri says the priority for India should be to pick the best keeper available.

"If you know it's definitely going to turn, then I'll go for the best keeper. That’s what the team has to decide. I won't go, ‘who's a better batsman'," Shastri said.

"Here you need a guy who's very good with the gloves, because you've got quality spinners. You've got Ash (Ashwin), you've got Jadeja, you've got Kuldeep. If the ball spins, you need a very good keeper.

"If you look at this Australian line-up, they've got some seasoned campaigners there. You don't want to miss out on a big player at 25 or 30, and he goes to get 130 and makes you pay for it.

"The team management can decide who is keeping the best, who they think, at that moment in time, is the best keeper. But my logic, my thinking, would be that.”

ICC

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Picture Perfect &#55357;&#56568; &#55356;&#57286;<br><br>CAN. NOT. WAIT ⌛️<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TeamIndia?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TeamIndia</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/INDvAUS?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#INDvAUS</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/mastercardindia?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@mastercardindia</a> <a href="https://t.co/OqvopNKbHd">pic.twitter.com/OqvopNKbHd</a></p>— BCCI (@BCCI) <a href="https://twitter.com/BCCI/status/1623240561603002368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 8, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pujara has been slowly returning to form.

They should have selected Vihari in place of SKY. Choosing a T20 hard hitter for a test match is one of the more bizarre ideas I've come across.

What form? He scored runs only on easy paced tracks in the first test. Looked out of depth in the 2nd test in Bangladesh

Rohit as a Test captain has hardly proved anything. Test captaincy might be easy if you have all your players available and all in form. In this case neither is true. He has to rely on veterans like Ashwin/kohli.

India will win this comfortably at home. And Cricinfo and other media hyping up this series as if this is some series of the millenium.

India will win this comfortably at home. And Cricinfo and other media hyping up this series as if this is some series of the millenium.

This series deserve all the hype. One of the best hard fought series currently .

Entire Indian line up bar Iyer and Ashwin were vulnerable against spin in BD. Indias best option reverse. Seamers have averaged better than spinners in India in the last 5 years or so. Umesh, shami have been beasts.

Rohit as a Test captain has hardly proved anything. Test captaincy might be easy if you have all your players available and all in form. In this case neither is true. He has to rely on veterans like Ashwin/kohli.
Rohit hasn't played a single test during last 12 months. Talk about someone being undercooked.

This is so funny though. Aussie fans aren't sooking about pitches but Pakistanis are, in every other thread.

Well done.

Simon doull did raise a point about pal pitches during the game not before the game. Smith certified ball tamperer has to keep quiet.

Simon doull did raise a point about pal pitches during the game not before the game. Smith certified ball tamperer has to keep quiet.
Fair point by Doull about Pakistani test pitches.

As for Smith, he is only applying for anticipatory bail for Australian bats' general incompetence in playing high quality spin.

Good thing is, we never apply for such anticipatory bail whenever we go to SENA countries despite knowing fully well about the kind of conditions we'll encounter there.

India skipper Rohit Sharma reflected on the team selection choices he needs to make for the first of four Tests against Australia to be played in Nagpur from Thursday, February 9.

India are set to take on Australia - the top ranked-side in the MRF Tyres ICC Men’s Test Rankings as well as the ongoing ICC World Test Championship points table - for a four-match series, beginning with the first Test in Nagpur from Thursday.

With hosts missing some of their key players with injuries, skipper Rohit Sharma is still confident of the skillset at his disposal, and opened up on the tough selection calls he needs to make for the series opener. Rohit stated that the playing conditions on offer will play a decisive role in selecting the final XI.

“It is tough. The guys are in good form, pushing for a spot and doing really well, and it is tough to leave some out. We will take brave calls,” Rohit said in a press conference on Wednesday.

“But it is a good sign overall that all the guys are performing well and in with a chance for selection. But we will see the conditions and pick teams accordingly. Different pitches would need different skill sets. The message is clear, we would take horses for courses and all options are open.”

Rishabh Pant is the most notable absentee in the Indian squad, having been sidelined with injury he suffered in a car accident in December. Rohit admitted that the team would miss his services, given his record and form in Test cricket over the last few years, including a stellar showing during India’s series in Australia in 2020-21.

“Obviously we will miss Pant with the contributions he had made in the middle order. We need someone to bat like him in the middle order and the top order,” Rohit said.

The skipper further praised Shubman Gill and Suryakumar Yadav, both of whom have been in prime form in white-ball format of late, with the former also having registered his maiden Test hundred in Bangladesh in December.

“Both have been terrific and both bring different things,” Rohit said of Gill and Suryakumar. “Gill obviously has been in great form and scoring heavily in all formats. Surya has been in terrific form in the T20 and hopefully he can bring that game into this format as well.”

As for the spinners, who are expected to play a leading role in the first Test given the venue’s history, Rohit explained the varied value they add to the attack, while also emphasizing on their all-round ability.

“All four spinners bring in a lot of different qualities,” he said. “Not to forget three of them are quality all-rounders too. And Kuldeep Yadav scored precious runs in Bangladesh.”

ICC

Ramiz Raja:

"India should play Suryakumar Yadav. He will generate pace with the bat. They have named a lot of T20 players in their squad for the first two Tests, which is good because action is what gets a thumbs-up from everyone in Test cricket these days. We saw how England scored 350-400 runs in a single day against Pakistan. The more pace you generate, the more pressure you can create. India have a great opportunity to create pressure,"

"Rohit Sharma's captaincy will be put to the test, there is no doubt about that. There isn't going to be a single session in the first Test where Australia won't fight hard. There won't be any flat sessions. The strategy needs to be full-proof and so does the selection. There also needs to be clarity over the conditions they want to trump Australia"

"Australia recently played a very gruelling Test series in Pakistan. It was a very tough series, with matches going on till the final day. They played the pressure points better than Pakistan in the last half an hour to win. Australians are known to create relentless pressure and will do the same in this series as well. They know that it is a very big series for them, as beating India at home is almost an impossible task"

SKY is never an accomplished first class player. Not sure why Ramiz thinks he will do well. Sarfraz was given a raw deal. Sarfraz > SKy in longer format.

I still.think they should have held this test series in high profile venues rather than nagpur.

Rambo Raja's obsession with T 20 players in Test matches is hilarious...

He can create pace with the bat... ?? :inti

Rohit
Gill
Pujara
Kohli
KL Rahul (Keeper)
SKY/Iyer (I read that Iyer is not available for 1st Test)
Jadeja
Ashwin
Kuldeep
Shami
Siraj

Nagpur will be a turning wicket. It will be blasphemous to go with KL Rahul or Ishan Kishan as keeper bat on this wicket. It has to be KS Bharat only and he can bat at 7. Jadeja at 6.

Top 5 should have Rahul and Gill both.

Indian seamers have done very well in the last 5 or 6 years in India. Umesh and Shami kings of reverse swing. Their average, Bumrah average is better than spinners average. Their role cannot be under-estimate. Let us see how much response they get.

Such an idiotic decision not to play Gill especially when he is in such form and duds like Rahul and Kohli are played.

That's how Indian cricket operates, reputation over form.

Australia (Playing XI): David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Steven Smith, Matt Renshaw, Peter Handscomb, Alex Carey(w), Pat Cummins(c), Nathan Lyon, Todd Murphy, Scott Boland

India (Playing XI): Rohit Sharma(c), KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Srikar Bharat(w), Ravindra Jadeja, Ravichandran Ashwin, Axar Patel, Mohammed Shami, Mohammed Siraj

And such a great work in dropping in form Kuldeep too.

I read the final XI many times just to ensure I was wrong about Gill and Kuldeep not being part of XI.

Thankfully, they didn't play Ishan over Bharat.

for all the rona dhona done by some members on this forum, AUS winning toss should console them for the time being.

SKY is uber lucky to get a Test cap. But for T20 he would not have even been 15th choice for Tests.

Two identical left arm spinners. That is a face palm selection. I guess that is to cover the form of Kohli.

SKY is uber lucky to get a Test cap. But for T20 he would not have even been 15th choice for Tests.

I'm happy to see him. Let's give him a proper chance. If he does well it will serve our team really well for a few years.

KL better score a triple now that he has scammed his way to 11 above Gill.

I have no expectations from SKY in first place. I guess he may prove useful if match turns to a ultra low scoring shootout.

Rohit has not played a single test in last 1 year and he has missed more games than he played in other formats too but he is a sure shot starter.

Jadeja has just come back from a career threatening injury but he is a sure shot starter.

Rohit has not played a single test in last 1 year and he has missed more games than he played in other formats too but he is a sure shot starter.

Jadeja has just come back from a career threatening injury but he is a sure shot starter.

Jadeja played just one first class game where his batting was not encouraging.

Two identical left arm spinners. That is a face palm selection. I guess that is to cover the form of Kohli.

Yup. We have walking wickets in form of KL and Former Kaptaan in 11. Axar is batting cover for them I guess.

A number 9 will cover two top order batters in tests. Oh my days!

for all the rona dhona done by some members on this forum, AUS winning toss should console them for the time being.
Lol this.

However I can guarantee you the Rona dhona will still not go down if India somehow manages to win this test.

I still wonder how come Sky is playing the purest form of the game when all he has done is to bash hapless bowlers in hit and giggle form of cricket during last 12 months or so.

Jadeja played just one first class game where his batting was not encouraging.
2 innings is a small sample. At least he played a first class game despite being assured of comeback. Some of our "superstars" consider first class cricket beneath them.

Shami is another dodgy selection. Not sold on his fitness over 5 days and form.

If KL is playing, he should keep wickets. Dropping Gill is pathetic. He is in beast mode right now.

Such a great delivery to receive first up

One leftie less for Ashwin. Failure first up for Khawaja.

Would love to see back of Labu and Smith. Not just because they score bucketful of runs but mostly because they are so irritating in whatever they do on a cricket field.

Such an idiotic decision not to play Gill especially when he is in such form and duds like Rahul and Kohli are played.

That's how Indian cricket operates, reputation over form.

And why SKY? Are they hoping that he turns into our version of Ben Duckett?

Back