India vs England | 2nd Test | Mumbai

england are clear favourites to win the match. KP and Cook are on the crease so England should look to post something around 400-450

england are clear favourites to win the match. KP and Cook are on the crease so England should look to post something around 400-450

same story as Bangladesh vs WI will repeat here..

hope for sometime but ruthlessly crushed by better team later :))

From here , England look set to reach 440 by end of day 3 . we will lose this if it aint a draw !

England to score 500, so only result possible will be draw or Indian lose.

I don't get England, i mean first test they don't play Monty against us we steam roll them.

Now first test with India they don't play Monty and India steam rolled them.

Monty is a good spinner, England really needs to change this old theory of attack with fast bowlers and have spinners to slow the batsmen and wear them out.

Both Swann and Monty need to be used as an attack option like Dhoni uses ashwin and ojha or we used ajmal and rehman and hafeez.

India are in deep trouble as Harbhajan is slowly proving his time is up.

It's Flower being a conservative idiot that can be blamed for the Monty thing.

In reality Monty should be playing most of our Tests alongside Swann, given the average nature of our medium-pacers. Anderson (new ball swing), Finn (genuinely fast), Swann and Monty are the only bowlers worth a place at the moment, maybe Onions.

India is not good enough against quality spiners who can turn the ball. The difference is they can completly destroy spinners if they are not good enough. Monty and Swann are WC spiners. And England pace attack has been exposed yet again on track without swing and cloud cover.

Guys, in 2 days 505 runs were scored & only 12 wickets fell . Does any one think this surface has enough to force out a result ?Atm, it looks pretty easy & if England play whole of day 3 & get bowled out for say 450 getting a lead of around 125 & then can bowl us out for say 350 in next 4 sessions ,that leaves them to get 225 in 2 sessions which is kinda impossible .
Only way a result is possible if we get bowled out for under 300 on day 4 .
How many think this has a draw written all over it ?

I don't think it'll be a draw, what I do think is that Swann and Monty are better than the Indian spinners.

A certain expert on the game agrees :boycott

I don't think it'll be a draw, what I do think is that Swann and Monty are better than the Indian spinners.

No they are not. But Cook is better then all Indian batsmen, hands down.

First innings dude, our 170/2 plays their 170/6 :murali

Guys, in 2 days 505 runs were scored & only 12 wickets fell . Does any one think this surface has enough to force out a result ?Atm, it looks pretty easy & if England play whole of day 3 & get bowled out for say 450 getting a lead of around 125 & then can bowl us out for say 350 in next 4 sessions ,that leaves them to get 225 in 2 sessions which is kinda impossible .
Only way a result is possible if we get bowled out for under 300 on day 4 .
How many think this has a draw written all over it ?

this match wont be a draw..pitch can change suddenly..

also do you really think England have much batting to come after these 2 ? may be Prior but rest will crumble easily..

we just need to get couple of wicket early tomorrow..match will progress as first test from there

That's a no-brainer actually. Swann avgs 29 playing most of his cricket out of Asia whereas Indian spinners avgs around 31 while playing most of their cricket in spin friendly pitches (except Ashwin but he's gonna go down IMO, good LOI bowler but not in tests).

Courtesy Cook.

Anytime in this series if Cook gets out with a score <10, we'll see which spinners are better.

India only managed to survive day 1 due to Pujara, if Pujara and Cook both score <10 then we'll see which spinners are better.

India only managed to survive day 1 due to Pujara, if Pujara and Cook both score <10 then we'll see which spinners are better.

The point of difference being that Cook>Pujara.

Still, even if both teams lose both these players cheaply, I am assured India would do better then England overall.

Last edited:

i agree that Monty turned the ball a lot more than any one else & Ashwin + Bhajan bowled poorly .My question to you is what will precipitate a result as i do not think this surface has any demons .
btw,your predictions for innings score -England & India ?

i agree that Monty turned the ball a lot more than any one else & Ashwin + Bhajan bowled poorly .My question to you is what will precipitate a result as i do not think this surface has any demons .
btw,your predictions for innings score -England & India ?

I think if we get bowled out for less than 380 we will lose, but if we get 450 or more we will win. Either way, somebody wins. Still 3 days left, 270 overs is loads.

It's Flower being a conservative idiot that can be blamed for the Monty thing.

In reality Monty should be playing most of our Tests alongside Swann, given the average nature of our medium-pacers. Anderson (new ball swing), Finn (genuinely fast), Swann and Monty are the only bowlers worth a place at the moment, maybe Onions.

I've always preferred the five bowler model. With Anderson to swing the new ball and reverse the old, Finn for Willis-style pace and bounce, a fit first-change Broad bowling tight and aiming for the top of off pole, Swann spinning in and Monty spinning out we will have a good attack again. Three proper tailenders, but this attack will reduce the runs scored in oppo.

I've always preferred the five bowler model. With Anderson to swing the new ball and reverse the old, Finn for Willis-style pace and bounce, a fit first-change Broad bowling tight and aiming for the top of off pole, Swann spinning in and Monty spinning out we will have a good attack again. Three proper tailenders, but this attack will reduce the runs scored in oppo.

what about batting then.?

I've always preferred the five bowler model. With Anderson to swing the new ball and reverse the old, Finn for Willis-style pace and bounce, a fit first-change Broad bowling tight and aiming for the top of off pole, Swann spinning in and Mudhsuden spinning out we will have a good attack again. Three proper tailenders, but this attack will reduce the runs scored in oppo.

de-anglicized :)

I think if we get bowled out for less than 380 we will lose, but if we get 450 or more we will win. Either way, somebody wins. Still 3 days left, 270 overs is loads.

would you like to break these 270 overs innings wise ?
lemme start :
-England bat for 80 overs & score 240 runs getting a lead of 90 runs .
-now 206 overs left in the match . If India bats well ,the match gets drawn because we will not give any sporting target as we have a lead in series.
The only way a result is possible if you bowl us out in under 100 overs ,conceding say 300 runs & set yourself a target of 210 in a days play or more .
All boils down to Indian innings being under 100 overs . Can you guys do it :)

All boils down to Indian innings being under 100 overs . Can you guys do it :)

Well first I think we will score at more than 3 an over tomorrow. Once we have built a platform such as we have here, our lower order all score very quickly.

I also think Monty and Swann on a wearing pitch can bowl India out in under 100 overs. Remember that Pujara might not bat until later or not all and most of your guys are out of form.

don't know why people think England will score 400 tomorrow???

let them cross 300 first...

Not so long ago I genuinely thought that England going into a match with 2 or even 3 spinners (with Rashid as the all-rounder in a 5-man attack) would be the norm by now.

For some reason Rashid's face didn't seem to fit. I've no idea what went on behind the scenes, but he seemed to me not to get the opportunities he should have done with England. Now he struggles to get in Yorkshire's 1st XI.

As for Monty, he seems to do well whenever he's brought back, but he only has to have one game in which he doesn't look all that penetrative, or else drop a soft catch, and he's immediately booted out into the wilderness.

Well first I think we will score at more than 3 an over tomorrow. Once we have built a platform such as we have here, our lower order all score very quickly.

I also think Monty and Swann on a wearing pitch can bowl India out in under 100 overs. Remember that Pujara might not bat until later or not all and most of your guys are out of form.

ok,so you fancy a win here :)

btw, Cp will bat at 5 or 6 i think -seems unlikely he will not bat at all .

1st session of tomorrow will determine who will win the match. Brilliant batting once again by A.Cook and KP is back, unfortunately :(

A long way to go yet, and it could all still go horribly wrong, but immediately after losing the toss, if you'd offered me the scenario as it's panned out so far I'd have bitten your hand off.

A very fine Test match so far.

A long way to go yet, and it could all still go horribly wrong, but immediately after losing the toss, if you'd offered me the scenario as it's panned out so far I'd have bitten your hand off.

A very fine Test match so far.

your predictions - result or draw ? if result,who :)

buddy,we will not get any lead -that much is for sure looking at current score .

lol

in first test Day 4 England 340/5

Day 5 within couple of hours they got all out..

they play too slowly..so couple of quick wickets they will end up with below par score..

not dissing England but they are not good in SC at the moment..they need some plan back home in county cricket to prepare batsmen with better technique against spinners

Last edited:

Agreed. Cause for excitement but still a lot of work to be done. We still need to have a batting innings going well after Tea.

lol

in first test Day 4 England 340/5

Day 5 within couple of hours they got all out..

they play too slowly..so couple of quick wickets they will end up with below par score..

not dissing England but they are not good in SC at the moment..they need some plan back home in county cricket to prepare batsmen with better technique against spinners

It's a completely different situation to day 4/5 of the last test, there we had our final batsman in and as soon as the partnership was broken India moved into the tail. Here even if there is an early breakthrough India still have to get through Bairstow, Patel and Prior before getting into the tail.

Total (all out; 115.1 overs) 327 (2.83 runs per over)
Total (2 wickets; 65 overs) 178 (2.73 runs per over)

Yes England's batting is sooo slow! :facepalm:

You're entitled to your opinion and allowed to criticise England but please try to say something that makes sense rather than making up garbage..

It's a completely different situation to day 4/5 of the last test, there we had our final batsman in and as soon as the partnership was broken India moved into the tail. Here even if there is an early breakthrough India still have to get through Bairstow, Patel and Prior before getting into the tail.

Total (all out; 115.1 overs) 327 (2.83 runs per over)
Total (2 wickets; 65 overs) 178 (2.73 runs per over)

Yes England's batting is sooo slow! :facepalm:

You're entitled to your opinion and allowed to criticise England but please try to say something that makes sense rather than making up garbage..

that's because of one session ..other wise can you show better RR in other sessions of this match or first test...

any way wait till tomorrow

Saw this nice write up on another forum;
The day played out just about perfectly. India batted through most of the
morning session where the pitch was the most spiteful, and didn't add too much.
England lost 2 wickets, and then with some small luck, and lost of skill, rode
their two best batsmen to go ahead.

D3 S1 will be critical, as it often is in most Test series. If India can bundle
England out and get a 50+ runs lead, they have the advantage. But if the pitch
continues to slow down, only England will be in a real position to win.

Pujara bowled well, as did Zaheer. Harbhajan was disappointing, and Ashwin
was baffling. He bowled a *perfect* over to Cook, coming wide around the
wicket, bowling it outside off angling in, and taking it away with the
spin or going straight on -- so Cook had to play. In that over, a fully
settled Cook looked completely hapless, as two balls spun past a tentative
prod to Dhoni, another took the edge and landed just short of Kohli. One
another ball Ashwin landed a little wider, and Cook swept from outside off
getting a top edge.

Someone in the think tank must have decided the sweep was too risky because
for the next 4 overs Ashwin changed his line of attack to middle stump, and
yes it took the sweep away, but there was virtually no chance of an edge to
the slips or gully. And any variation meant Cook just worked Ashwin to leg
for a single. All it would have taken was for Ashwin to continue the same
line for an over or two, and he would surely have got him -- instead he was
totally ineffective.

Harbhajan was quite ineffective as well. Ojha varied his pace, but no one
picked up what made Monty are real handful -- he was firing the ball in full
and fast, and on this pitch, that was what gave it the bounce and variation.

That said, Cook & Pietersen were simply superb. Yes the bowling was not as
incisive as it should have been given the conditions, but it was still tricky
and the bad balls needed to be put away, and that happened in style (who also
put away a few good balls).

That said, this partnership is the key. Of the 7 remaining players, there is
a question mark over everyone but Prior
-- 178/2 could become 278/ao which
would get back to advantage India...

I agree with all that has been said about running two spinners on SC tracks.

Ideally five bowlers with Anderson, Finn, Onions/Broad (seriously, Finn is good, but he's also massively overhyped), Swann, Monty. But that requires our top order to really step it up which I don't see. Desperately wanted Morgan in over Fatel. Fatel is dreadfully mediocre in both disciplines.

I am looking forward to the new age of spin that might come up with Briggs and Kerrigan. I honestly believe Kerrigan is one of the best spinners in County Cricket, and at 23, he has some time to learn. Same with the 21 year old Briggs.

your predictions - result or draw ? if result,who :)

I don't really like making predictions.

England probably just have the edge at the moment, but that could change very quickly.

England need to get 400+ to counter the effects of having to bat last. Although the pitch has held up very well so far, I do think it will get harder to bat on. I think that barring rain there will be a result.

I would be so glad if Bairstow can make a good impression tomorrow. A run a ball hundred :afridi would be sweet after Cookie and Kev see out the morning session.

From what he showed against SA, if Kev and Bair have a big partnership, it will make for very fine viewing :msd

England will not reach 150. mark my words!!!!!

We are so well gone on this pitch. Unless Cook, Compton, Bairstow and Prior can keep us afloat.

Gunther;5307977[B said:
]I am already fearing the Turbantor on this pitch[/B] :afridi: He will enjoy the bounce of all the bowlers in this game

So this is a good pitch right? This game will be lucky to go three days

India should declare now and push for the innings victory by lunch tomorow

Great work by Pujara here. England are toast on this pitch lol

It'll be over by day 3.

India will get about 350-400ish here.

England will fold for 200 odd in the first and less than 100 in their second, chasing about 300

My prediction - 150 or less

W63 I marked your words!!
178/2!!!

I would be so glad if Bairstow can make a good impression tomorrow. A run a ball hundred :afridi would be sweet after Cookie and Kev see out the morning session.

Yes and a 17 ball hundred will be even sweeter?
Stop dreaming! A fifty will be very very good, and a hundred in any number of balls will be good!

Yes and a 17 ball hundred will be even sweeter?
Stop dreaming! A fifty will be very very good, and a hundred in any number of balls will be good!
Bair is a beast, bit like you know who :afridi . But seriously, his runs usually come in quick time. Only hope that he sticks around long enough :misbah

Bairstow got pawned by Sir Jadeja last time. So his ability against spin is a little suspect till now.

Bair is a beast, bit like you know who :afridi . But seriously, his runs usually come in quick time. Only hope that he sticks around long enough :misbah

Being a beast in T20 cricket, ODI cricket is one thing! Not everyone can carry the beast attitude to Test cricket!
Just look to Kholi, Bairstow is in the same mood!

Bairstow got pawned by Sir Jadeja last time. So his ability against spin is a little suspect till now.
That series was too early for him.Yes, but he showed balls of steel in the tests against SA. He has a good temperament and I am sure he has worked a lot on his technique against spin. And whatever happens, he will go down swinging unlike others :trottski: :compton

Sure. I wish him luck. He plays pace well. Unfortunately for him, Indians have a 3 spin and 1 dart attack. So he has to be careful.

Back