IPL | Mumbai v Chennai | Mumbai | 14/05/2008

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Tendulkar has won the toss and Mumbai will bowl. That's been their strategy even when Pollock was captain. So we'll have to wait a while to see Jayasuriya opening with Tendulkar, what a treat that could be. There's just one change in the Mumbai team: Saurabh Tiwary makes way for Tendulkar.

Mumbai Indians: 1 Sachin Tendulkar (capt), 2 Sanath Jayasuriya, 3 Robin Uthappa, 4 Dominic Thornley, 5 Dwayne Bravo, 6 Shaun Pollock, 7 Abhishek Nayar, 8 Yogesh Takawale, 9 Dhawal Kulkarni, 10 Rohan Raje, 11 Ashish Nehra.

Chennai have also made one change, replacing Palani Amarnath with Joginder Sharma.

Chennai Super Kings: 1 Mahendra Singh Dhoni (capt), 2 Stephen Fleming, 3 S Vidyut, 4 Suresh Raina 5 S Badrinath, 6 Albie Morkel, 7 Chamara Kapugedera, 8 Muttiah Muralitharan, 9 Manpreet Gony, 10 Joginder Sharma, 11 L Balaji.

Chennai are currently 18 for 1 from 3 overs. Vidyut the man out

I hope Jayasuriya and Tendulkar click together. Cricket fans might never again get an opportunity of watching them in full flow together.

And thats the second wicket as I type.....CSK is a bit of a bother here.

Mumbai team is full of bowlers..
Dwayne Bravo, Shaun Pollock, Abhishek Nayar, Sanath Jayasuriya, Dhawal Kulkarni, Rohan Raje, Ashish Nehra
even Sachin can bowl as a parttimer like Sehwag...

Mumbai team should have gone for 1 extra batsman

mumbai are out arnt they? ie cant reach semis? or is there still a chance?

Much rather have Hoggy in place of Anderson.
Lord's is such a pancake these days,Jimmy is gonna get spanked.

Double breakthrough!!

First Fleming and then 2 balls later Kapugedara! 46/4

no seriously, why do the kiwis always pick O'Brien/Mason over Gillesppie?
And what's with Bravo??
Get outta the park and on a plan, bwoy! You've gotta test to playnext week...

rahulrulezz said:
Mumbai team is full of bowlers..
Dwayne Bravo, Shaun Pollock, Abhishek Nayar, Sanath Jayasuriya, Dhawal Kulkarni, Rohan Raje, Ashish Nehra
even Sachin can bowl as a parttimer like Sehwag...

Mumbai team should have gone for 1 extra batsman

Add Thornley to the list ....thats 9 bowlers for you

when did Sachin played 6 T20s? I can remember one against SA. but he has decent record in these 6 matches.

First 4 for Tendu, not very convincing but they all count!

this goni is good bowler - him and ishant up front would be good for india - tall quicks like the windies of yesteryear

six from Jayasuriya in same over. so weird watching the match on webcam
37-0 after 4 overs

its maddnesss out there............................

jayasuriya.... is going crahzieee

haha watching my deram opening duo. Class and finesse of Tendulkar vs. the brutal hitting of Sanath.

Sanath is having a ball out there.

Tendulkar looking a little uncomfortable against Balaji but Jayasuriya has already made the result a mere formality now so Sachin can take his time.

Sanath is looking as dangerous as he was back in his heyday (1996 WC and onwards)

this joginder guy is simply pathetic but still able to pick up wickets...always remind me of misbah

its would be hilarious if jayasuria gets out now and then the mumbai indians crash to defeat - because all uttapa can do is make uttapams...

Jayasuriya 64 runs 30 balls 4 fours 7 sixes 213.33 S/R - 50 (16b) last five overs

dinakar said:
when did Sachin played 6 T20s? I can remember one against SA. but he has decent record in these 6 matches.

All domestic 20-20s

WAT IS DHONI SAVING MURALI FOR?!!!!!!!! A LAST OVER THRILLING FINISH?!!!!!!!

Jayasuriya making Murali look like a Zrater

Whats with the wide deliveries? 9 for Mumbai (20 overs), now 12 and still counting for Chennai (13 overs).

3.2 Kapugedera to Jayasuriya, SIX, he gets his hundred with a six! Awesome batting this, Jayasuriya swivels and pulls another short ball over the deep square leg boundary, that's his 10th six and he's got 100 off 45 balls, he's delighted and he raises his arms in triumph, the crowd love it
13.1 Kapugedera to Jayasuriya, SIX, that's too short and Jayasuriya swivels and pulls high in the air towards deep square leg, Gony is on the boundary and he gets a bit of hand on it but couldn't prevent it from going for six

WOW!!!

13.5 Kapugedera to Jayasuriya, FOUR, that's the match! Jayasuriya lofts Kapugedera straight down the ground for four, Vidyut can't stop that either, 26 runs off Kapugedera's five balls
13.4 Kapugedera to Jayasuriya, FOUR, dropped! Jayasuriya tries to clear the leg-side boundary but gets a top edge that flies high in the air towards long off, Vidyut tries to get under it but can't get into a good position, he gets a hand on it but the ball rolls over the boundary
13.3 Kapugedera to Jayasuriya, SIX, that's no 11! The length is fractionally short, Jayasuriya moves back and plays the short-arm pull high over deep midwicket, that's on the roof
13.2 Kapugedera to Jayasuriya, SIX, he gets his hundred with a six! Awesome batting this, Jayasuriya swivels and pulls another short ball over the deep square leg boundary, that's his 10th six and he's got 100 off 45 balls, he's delighted and he raises his arms in triumph, the crowd love it
13.1 Kapugedera to Jayasuriya, SIX, that's too short and Jayasuriya swivels and pulls high in the air towards deep square leg, Gony is on the boundary and he gets a bit of hand on it but couldn't prevent it from going for six

Last edited:
12thMan said:
Jayasuriya 100 off 45 balls with 10 sixes
Is that the fastest in T20?

Would love to see the highlights. Like I predicted Channai will not make the semis.

and hits a four to win the match - 114* off 48 balls
26 off the over with 1 ball left in the over
Kapugedera 0.5-0-26-0

Last edited:
Fastest 100 was by Gilchrist I think.

i hope that the mumbai indians enjoyed this massacre ...

because tendu and company will be the ones getting massacred when they face shoaib in 2 days.

:97: :97: :97:

kashif77 said:
i hope that the mumbai indians enjoyed this massacre ...

because tendu and company will be the ones getting massacred when they face shoaib in 2 days.

:97: :97: :97:

Not sure Jayasuriya and Tendu will crush Kolkata and Akhtar :p

What an incandescent innings from Jaya. Totally owned that Kupedegara guy at the end lol.

Jayasuriya walks away with two awards today, one for hitting the most sixes - 11 - and he's also the Man of the Match of course. Pollock's spell of 1 for 9 off four overs was terrific too.
13.5 Kapugedera to Jayasuriya, FOUR, that's the match! Jayasuriya lofts Kapugedera straight down the ground for four, Vidyut can't stop that either, 26 runs off Kapugedera's five balls
13.4 Kapugedera to Jayasuriya, FOUR, dropped! Jayasuriya tries to clear the leg-side boundary but gets a top edge that flies high in the air towards long off, Vidyut tries to get under it but can't get into a good position, he gets a hand on it but the ball rolls over the boundary
13.3 Kapugedera to Jayasuriya, SIX, that's no 11! The length is fractionally short, Jayasuriya moves back and plays the short-arm pull high over deep midwicket, that's on the roof
13.2 Kapugedera to Jayasuriya, SIX, he gets his hundred with a six! Awesome batting this, Jayasuriya swivels and pulls another short ball over the deep square leg boundary, that's his 10th six and he's got 100 off 45 balls, he's delighted and he raises his arms in triumph, the crowd love it
Kapugedera comes into the attack, bowling gentle medium-pace from over the wicket.

FAM said:
Fastest 100 was by Gilchrist I think.

Jaya missed the fastest hundred by 3 - Gilly got 100 off 42, Jaya got 100 off 45 which is still frigging amazing.

omg!!!! my favorite innings out of IPL by far. GREAT to see some VINTAGE jayasuriya.

jackal786 said:
He is getting back into rythm. Akhtar will be owned by Uthappa wait and see. :p

Has Uthappa ever owned anyone?

Akhtar v Jayasuriya will be good though - two attacking players in red hot form squaring up against each other.

Ahhh next match will be Akhtar vs Tendu...Congrats to Jayasurya for demolishing Chennai singlehandedly.

cars112 said:
Has Uthappa ever owned anyone?

Akhtar v Jayasuriya will be good though - two attacking players in red hot form squaring up against each other.

Jaya is not that consistent these days. He had made just 34 runs until this innings. He is kind of a guy who needs rythm. Once he gets into that rythm he can destroy any bowler in the world.. even if they bowl in tandem. Frequency of these kind of innings used to be more. Now it is once in a while.

jaya beat up on some trundlers today ...

i don't think he will last more than a handful of balls against shoaib.

kashif77 said:
jaya beat up on some trundlers today ...

i don't think he will last more than a handful of balls against shoaib.

He got out to same trundlers earlier. In this mood Jaya will bury Sohaib Akhtar. He failed against almost all the teams until now. The thing is if Kolkata is lucky they will not run into this kind of Jaya.

Jaya is like Gilly - when he gets into his stride he will dispatch any ball, whatever length to the boundary. But like Gilly, he only does it once every so often.

OZGOD said:
Jaya is like Gilly - when he gets into his stride he will dispatch any ball, whatever length to the boundary. But like Gilly, he only does it once every so often.

To be honest Chennai bowling attack is is pathetic. I think Tendu's presence took a lot of pressure out of Jaya and he could score freely. Its a deadly combination, Sachin + Jaya. One cool headed pro, another maverick.

Pakistan fans should remember Jaya very well.. Remember his 253.. where he added 100 runs with last wicket or 9th wicket where he made 99 of them :p. Akhtar went almost 5 an over. 96 balls from Akhtar yielded 76 runs Jaya.

jackal786 said:
He got out to same trundlers earlier. In this mood Jaya will bury Sohaib Akhtar. He failed against almost all the teams until now. The thing is if Kolkata is lucky they will not run into this kind of Jaya.

bury shoaib ?

man .. he can't even bury trundler tanvir who got him for a golden duck in the t20 wc.

if i were jaya ... i'd be worrying about possible brain damage from a shoaib bouncer ... poor old man .. his reflexes aren't as good as they use to be .. i fear for his health :16: :16: :16:

kashif77 said:
bury shoaib ?

man .. he can't even bury trundler tanvir who got him for a golden duck in the t20 wc.

if i were jaya ... i'd be worrying about possible brain damage from a shoaib bouncer ... poor old man .. his reflexes aren't as good as they use to be .. i fear for his health :16: :16: :16:

read above..

Let us see Mr.Akhtar on slightly flatter surfaces :p. He will pull up muscle and sit out.

I mentioned.. when he is in this mood. Rarely he gets into this kind of form. When he does... Akhtar is a big zero against Jaya. Question is will he click again.

I think Ishant is too hot for Jaya. He was foxed so many times in the CB series by young Ishant.

Crusader said:
I think Ishant is too hot for Jaya. He was foxed so many times in the CB series by young Ishant.

Yup.. Ishant is more dangerous for Jaya than Akhtar because of the bounce Ishant gets. Today they dished out lot of short and full stuffs. I have a feeling Tendulkar will target Akhtar just like in 2003 world cup.

jackal786 said:
Yup.. Ishant is more dangerous for Jaya than Akhtar because of the bounce Ishant gets. Today they dished out lot of short and full stuffs. I have a feeling Tendulkar will target Akhtar just like in 2003 world cup.

It would be a good match, Kolkata's bowling and Mumbai's batting. I feel Kolkata's batting line up is the weakest in the tournament though. Its only old man Gangu and David Hussey who are scoring some runs. All their foreign players have diched them :)) What happened to Chris Gayle? He never played for Kolkata :13:

Mumbai has beaten 3 top teams. Delhi, Royals and CSK. So they are on a roll. With Tendulkar back in the side they look stronger.

Great batting from Jay

With both Shoaib and Jay having such great games i am expecting a good contest on Friday.

Back