Mumbai Indians are the champions of IPL 2017

I really don't understand how a team containing AB, Gayle, Kohli, Starc (?) and a decent bunch of Indian domestic players can keep failing year after year. When I read about the RCB, I thought they would dominate the IPL and have at least three-four trophies under their belt by now.

Dhoni was bossing today ! 51 req of 19 balls and he finishes the game ! Bringing back old memories , the guy can still do some serious power hitting .

I really don't understand how a team containing AB, Gayle, Kohli, Starc (?) and a decent bunch of Indian domestic players can keep failing year after year. When I read about the RCB, I thought they would dominate the IPL and have at least three-four trophies under their belt by now.

RCB is like the SAF team in major tournaments. MI always is a pleasure to watch - the management/ coaching aspect of MI sets them apart - Sachin , Ponting , Jayawardene , Jonty.

Because the level of play is very, very high and the others play even better than RCB.

Players give it their best when they play in the IPL as they know that if they don't they will not do well at the auction next season.

IPL 2017 | Day 18 | 23rd April | Rajkot & Kolkata | Matches Thread

Gujarat Lions v Kings XI Punjab at Rajkot

Match scheduled to begin at 16:00 local time (10:30 GMT)

Gujarat Lions Squad
AD Nath, SS Agarwal, Basil Thampi, DJ Bravo, Chirag Suri, JP Faulkner, AJ Finch, MS Gony, Ishan Kishan, RA Jadeja, SB Jakati, KD Karthik, S Kaushik, DS Kulkarni, P Kumar, BB McCullum, MM Patel, Pratham Singh, SK Raina, JJ Roy, PJ Sangwan, JN Shah, SS Shaurya, NB Singh, DR Smith, Tejas Baroka, AJ Tye

Kings XI Punjab Squad
VR Aaron, HM Amla, Anureet Singh, Armaan Jaffer, KC Cariappa, MJ Guptill, Gurkeerat Singh, MJ Henry, SE Marsh, GJ Maxwell, DA Miller, EJG Morgan, NS Naik, T Natarajan, AR Patel, WP Saha, P Sahu, DJG Sammy, Sandeep Sharma, I Sharma, MM Sharma, RK Singh, MP Stoinis, Swapnil Singh, R Tewatia, M Vohra

Kolkata Knight Riders v Royal Challengers Bangalore at Kolkata

Match scheduled to begin at 20:00 local time (14:30 GMT)

Kolkata Knight Riders Squad
G Gambhir*, TA Boult, DM Bravo, PP Chawla, NM Coulter-Nile, C de Grandhomme, R Dhawan, SS Ghosh, SP Jackson, IR Jaggi, Kuldeep Yadav, CA Lynn, SP Narine, MK Pandey, YK Pathan, R Powell, AS Rajpoot, R Sanjay Yadav, Shakib Al Hasan, RV Uthappa, CR Woakes, SA Yadav, UT Yadav

RCB Squad
V Kohli*, S Aravind, Avesh Khan, S Badree, STR Binny, YS Chahal, A Choudhary, AB de Villiers, P Dubey, CH Gayle, Harpreet Singh, TM Head, Iqbal Abdulla, KM Jadhav, Mandeep Singh, TS Mills, AF Milne, P Negi, HV Patel, Sachin Baby, T Shamsi, B Stanlake, Vishnu Vinod, SR Watson

Because their strategy is very poor. They waste so many balls early in the innings and use only 3 or 4 wickets. The result is, if it works they end up 213/2, but when it doesn't they either end up 180/1 and lose because the other team uses their brain, or they just collapse and barely have any total.

Bhuvi is miles better than any fast bowling all rounder BD has ever produced.

Ok, does that make him great lol?

This thread is not about BD or any country.

His ODI average is ~40. His average against ENG, Aus, NZ, SA is ~60.

Mustafiz ODI average is like under 20 from whatever games he played, so yeah you are wrong in that regards too.

He is bowling at high 130s bro. Not swinging like he used to but getting enough movement plus the pace.

I cant remember the last time I seen him bowl for IND, even though I dont follow cricket as much these days.

His ODI ave is 40, against top sides it is like 60 lol. Stats don't lie, he is a pure trundler who is ripping IPL at the moment.

Axar Patel late hitting helped kings XI in achieving a respectable total.

Axar: 34 runs 17 balls

I cant remember the last time I seen him bowl for IND, even though I dont follow cricket as much these days.

His ODI ave is 40, against top sides it is like 60 lol. Stats don't lie, he is a pure trundler who is ripping IPL at the moment.

Yes they do lie. Just like case of Bhuvi. His bowling is much better than stats show.

Yes they do lie. Just like case of Bhuvi. His bowling is much better than stats show.
Ok, lets see if he can get a spot in the Indian XI.

How about Kings XI leading spearhead Sandeep Sharma? I bet he is great too.

Ok, lets see if he can get a spot in the Indian XI.

How about Kings XI leading spearhead Sandeep Sharma? I bet he is great too.

He is decent. He has been doing well so far. None of them is as good as any bowler from BD as we all know they are the best.

such a farcical game this ipl has become once a revered ground eden has nothing in it for the bowlers, on this surface 225 is a par score in t20's. What a shame

KKR 65/2, 5.4 overs

Narine out after doing his job of pinch-hitting, 34 runs in 17 balls

such a farcical game this ipl has become once a revered ground eden has nothing in it for the bowlers, on this surface 225 is a par score in t20's. What a shame

Looks like you are or bit off from the par score you wrote :))

Bowlers need to keep up with batting/ It is same for both the teams. Teams are managing betting better.

This looks a lot more interesting now , the points table looks quite open.
Pune and RCB seems to be making late charges for the playoffs.
I still see MI and SRH going in definitely.
Last two could be anyone - Kings 11 , RCB , Pune or DD

RCB choking again ..... KKR coming guns out - Coulter Nile and U yadav make a good opening tandem

Forgot KKR nvm , KKR , MI and SRH def the top 3 - 4th spot is grab between Pune , DD , RCB and Kings 11

Seems like KKR has a bigger crowd than for the national team - place looks live !

This is what happens when you have a biased mindset, such statements and thoughts come into mind.

Revered ground says hello

Excellent match, the bowlers fought back in the sea of high score games. Wonder why nobody is posting in the match thread but always pop out to create new threads and narratives based on their own agendas.

Come on guys, post in the match threads, i know you are watching.

Ahan, thanks. So it means RCB still have a chance. Will be rooting for them and KKR.

RCB is playing Hyderabad next time - this will be a cracker of a game - ABD , Virat and Gayle are due to fire now and Hyderabad is a top team.

I really wish DD can sneak into the playoffs but Pune may beast it through.

Mumbai Indians , KKR and SRH look to be top 3

IPL 2017 | Day 19 | 24th April | Mumbai | Match Thread

Mumbai Indians Squad
RG Sharma*, JJ Bumrah, JC Buttler, S Gopal, K Gowtham, DAS Gunaratne, Harbhajan Singh, MG Johnson, K Khejroliya, SD Lad, MJ McClenaghan, SL Malinga, HH Pandya, KH Pandya, PA Patel, KA Pollard, N Pooran, DS Punia, N Rana, AT Rayudu, JM Sharma, KV Sharma, LMP Simmons, TG Southee, J Suchith, SS Tiwary, R Vinay Kumar

Rising Pune Supergiant Squad
SPD Smith*, MA Agarwal, Ankit Sharma, B Aparajith, AK Bains, R Bhatia, DL Chahar, RD Chahar, DT Christian, MS Dhoni, AB Dinda, F du Plessis, LH Ferguson, Imran Tahir, Jaskaran Singh, UT Khawaja, IC Pandey, AM Rahane, Saurabh Kumar, BA Stokes, M Tandon, SN Thakur, MK Tiwary, RA Tripathi, JD Unadkat, Washington Sundar, A Zampa

Last edited:
Mumbai 122/4 in 16 overs

Rohit Sharma 47 runs in 29 balls till now

MI winning streak broken , Pune wins a close win - what a last over 3 wickets and 2 sixes. Mumbai should have taken it ,a bit of sloppy fielding today but Stokes justifying his price tag

Half way mark in the IPL and things are getting interesting now. Pune resurging now and stopping Mumbai.
MI , KKR ,SRH , RPS the top 4 at this point but each team still playing 6-7 games more.

Kings 11 and Delhi have an outside chance of making it to the playoffs.
RCB got embarassed quite bad - If Kohli and ABD go on a crazy winning streak with 7 games in hand they could get in

IPL is played by 8 teams in home and away format which means teams play 7x2= 14 matches

How do the playoffs work? Just a semis and final or is it another round of group matches?

Amla
Guptill
Vohra
Maxwell

Should be the Kings top order. Henry should open their bowling. This team and the curious case of RCB is why I'm following the IPL somewhat during this season.

How do the playoffs work? Just a semis and final or is it another round of group matches?

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong but once the season is done it comes down to amongst the top 4 teams - Qualifier 1 and then Eliminator 1 and then Qualifier 2 and in the end the Final.

Qualifier 1 - 1st ranked vs 2nd ranked team
Eliminator - 3rd Ranked vs 4th Ranked
Qualifier 2 - Loser of 1st Qualifier vs Winner of the Eliminator

and then the Final. Essentially if you finish in the top 2 - You get 2 chances to make it to the final - Either through Qualifier 1 or Qualifier 2 - which is fair when you play well throughout the season and 1 bad game can knock you out. 3rd and 4th ranked teams will have to win 2 games in playoffs to make it to the final. Hence best odds are to finish in the top 2

Amla
Guptill
Vohra
Maxwell

Should be the Kings top order. Henry should open their bowling. This team and the curious case of RCB is why I'm following the IPL somewhat during this season.

I enjoy watching Delhi - Young guns - Pant , Iyer , Samson and Nair and then Zak , Morris and Braithwaite.
MI is always a treat to watch - Johnson , Bumrah , Bhajji , Pollard , Pandya - they got good some players in there.

Once again if you look at the IPL stats the cream is finding its way to the top. Very revealing. Bhajji doing well does not surprise me. Several wkt doing better than Dhoni is not a surprise. Umesh and Bhuvi doing well, Gambhir and Dhawan should be in. Fun stuff.

Once again if you look at the IPL stats the cream is finding its way to the top. Very revealing. Bhajji doing well does not surprise me. Several wkt doing better than Dhoni is not a surprise. Umesh and Bhuvi doing well, Gambhir and Dhawan should be in. Fun stuff.

Manish Pandey doing better than Smith in IPL doesnt make them better than Smith , Similarly how any Indian wk is performing in the IPL has no bearing on their equivalence to Dhoni

You are correct but it does pioint that manish is not bad. It also says Smith is the best. This data cannot be cherry picked. It has to be taken as a sum total of a bigger picture.

Dhoni just sucks and I wont discuss that.

You are correct but it does pioint that manish is not bad. It also says Smith is the best. This data cannot be cherry picked. It has to be taken as a sum total of a bigger picture.

Dhoni just sucks and I wont discuss that.

Your biased hate against Dhoni is quite obvious so I am willing to debate that anytime you'd like.
And Smith doing bad in IPL indicates he is the best , how so ? For Pandey doing good in IPL he is good and Smith doing bad in IPL means Smith is also good ? Your lack of sense is getting worse

Your biased hate against Dhoni is quite obvious so I am willing to debate that anytime you'd like.
And Smith doing bad in IPL indicates he is the best , how so ? For Pandey doing good in IPL he is good and Smith doing bad in IPL means Smith is also good ? Your lack of sense is getting worse

I love Dhoni and you can debate it. Man failed again today. Let us put him on a pedestal.

What set of data are you looking at that you come to this conclusion that Smith has failed?

I love Dhoni and you can debate it. Man failed again today. Let us put him on a pedestal.

What set of data are you looking at that you come to this conclusion that Smith has failed?

Smith isn't doing well in IPL and you base your evaluation of international cricketers careers of over 10 years based on IPL so in that sense Smith should be a failure too.

Smith isn't doing well in IPL and you base your evaluation of international cricketers careers of over 10 years based on IPL so in that sense Smith should be a failure too.

I have no clue what you are talking about. He is the top 10/12 batsman and what more can you ask for. That is success. Careful analysis of data will show you the underline trends.

I have no clue what you are talking about. He is the top 10/12 batsman and what more can you ask for. That is success. Careful analysis of data will show you the underline trends.

I am talking about your focus on IPL to evaluate players. You evaluate international cricketers based on IPL. How Dhoni sucks because he is not performing well in IPL , similarly Smith and Kohli aren't performing in IPL - they must be also be quite bad

I am talking about your focus on IPL to evaluate players. You evaluate international cricketers based on IPL. How Dhoni sucks because he is not performing well in IPL , similarly Smith and Kohli aren't performing in IPL - they must be also be quite bad

Chief, Smith is performing well in IPL. Look at what he has accomplished so far. For Kohli he has some issues since Aus series and that is showing. Batsman go thru mini slump all the time. He is still not bad.

What is really bad is Dhoni.

Chief, Smith is performing well in IPL. Look at what he has accomplished so far. For Kohli he has some issues since Aus series and that is showing. Batsman go thru mini slump all the time. He is still not bad.

What is really bad is Dhoni.

Nitish Rana has more runs than Smith and Kohli and Rohit thus by your logic Nitish Rana is better than all of them . Cool

Nitish Rana has more runs than Smith and Kohli and Rohit thus by your logic Nitish Rana is better than all of them . Cool

This is my last post for a while.

Nitish is doing well. Is he doing better than Smith in IPL? If your answer is yes to that question then you just dont get it.

I think you are a smart person. You are just playing with me.

This is my last post for a while.

Nitish is doing well. Is he doing better than Smith in IPL? If your answer is yes to that question then you just dont get it.

I think you are a smart person. You are just playing with me.

Well you are smart enough to figure out what I'm trying to do

Stokes finally delivered,he looks kind of satisfied,well done to him and hope his batting improves too now could make it to playoffs and be a cracker.

IPL 2017 | Day 20 | 25th April | Bengaluru | Match Thread

RCB Squad
V Kohli*, S Aravind, Avesh Khan, S Badree, STR Binny, YS Chahal, A Choudhary, AB de Villiers, P Dubey, CH Gayle, Harpreet Singh, TM Head, Iqbal Abdulla, KM Jadhav, Mandeep Singh, TS Mills, AF Milne, P Negi, HV Patel, Sachin Baby, T Shamsi, B Stanlake, Vishnu Vinod, SR Watson

Sunrisers Hyderabad Squad
DA Warner*, TD Agarwal, RK Bhui, Bipul Sharma, BCJ Cutting, S Dhawan, ER Dwivedi, MC Henriques, DJ Hooda, CJ Jordan, S Kaul, B Kumar, B Laughlin, A Mithun, Mohammad Nabi, Mohammed Siraj, Mustafizur Rahman, A Nehra, NV Ojha, Rashid Khan, V Shankar, BB Sran, PV Tambe, KS Williamson, Yuvraj Singh

Stokes finally delivered,he looks kind of satisfied,well done to him and hope his batting improves too now could make it to playoffs and be a cracker.

Well he's an expensive buy so better justify it . That team has some good players no way Pune should skip the playoffs

should be a cracker of a game . RCBs first game since being humiliated. Must win for them to still stay in contention for the top 4

Stupid Rain ! - if may be a 5 over shootout if possible.
RCB may get a point but they need to win to stay alive

Kohli's behavior is disgraceful recently. I used to be a fan but now I am starting to dislike the guy. Scolding the umpire and stuff. I've to say I'll be ashamed if I am supporting the team that this guy captains. Speaks volumes about BCCI and how they runs things that people with power can get away with anything they do, no matter how disgraceful it is.

IPL 2017 | Day 21 | 26th April | Pune | Match Thread

Rising Pune Supergiant Squad
SPD Smith*, MA Agarwal, Ankit Sharma, B Aparajith, AK Bains, R Bhatia, DL Chahar, RD Chahar, DT Christian, MS Dhoni, AB Dinda, F du Plessis, LH Ferguson, Imran Tahir, Jaskaran Singh, UT Khawaja, IC Pandey, AM Rahane, Saurabh Kumar, BA Stokes, M Tandon, SN Thakur, MK Tiwary, RA Tripathi, JD Unadkat, Washington Sundar, A Zampa

Kolkata Knight Riders Squad
G Gambhir*, TA Boult, DM Bravo, PP Chawla, NM Coulter-Nile, C de Grandhomme, R Dhawan, SS Ghosh, SP Jackson, IR Jaggi, Kuldeep Yadav, CA Lynn, SP Narine, MK Pandey, YK Pathan, R Powell, AS Rajpoot, R Sanjay Yadav, Shakib Al Hasan, RV Uthappa, CR Woakes, SA Yadav, UT Yadav

Cracker of a match when they played last with Smith and Dhoni winning in the last over.

If Kuldeep does not feature in Indian team in all formats, it would be the biggest travesty ever in Indian cricket. The man is 22 years old and bamboozling everyone in IPL.

IPL 2017 | Day 22 | 27th April | Bangalore | Match Thread

ROYAL CHALLENGERS BANGALORE SQUAD

GUJARAT LIONS SQUAD
AD Nath, SS Agarwal, Basil Thampi, Chirag Suri, JP Faulkner, AJ Finch, MS Gony, Ishan Kishan, RA Jadeja, SB Jakati, KD Karthik, S Kaushik, DS Kulkarni, P Kumar, BB McCullum, MM Patel, IK Pathan, Pratham Singh, SK Raina, JJ Roy, PJ Sangwan, JN Shah, SS Shaurya, NB Singh, DR Smith, Tejas Baroka, AJ Tye

Almost losing interest about RCB!

KKR actually has 2 men from Karnataka both performing great! (Spoke their local language Kannada on the field, that was cool) But I am sure both wouldn't have performed like this if they played for RCB (RCB has a poor management and franchisee...)

RCB - "Big Names - Epic Failure".

Kohli looks out of form. Gayle is a hack. ABD played well in 1 game and sucked in the rest. Rest are not good enough. Bowling is a joke.

RCB - "Big Names - Epic Failure".

Kohli looks out of form. Gayle is a hack. ABD played well in 1 game and sucked in the rest. Rest are not good enough. Bowling is a joke.

Yes Kohli is definitely out of form! I hope India doesn't participate in CT (Probably CT won't be organized in future)

Gayle is not hack, but he has way past his prime probably last legs (Did you call Sehwag as hack in his ending days?) These guys don't have the second nature (something like Dhoni or Sachin) to change their way of game at the end of their career!

ABD seems jaded in this team (I am sure he will still do well in the blazing South African team!) RCB missed Rahul (man in form), still I don't think they could have done well.

Playing against GL like this, they should pack up from this season!

RCB is gonna be the laughing stock of the IPL - most star power and no results to show for.

S. Aravind reminds me of Junaid Khan.

The way he walks, his demeanor, his bowling action... South Indian Junaid Khan.

What has cursed RCB Team? This was supposed to be the highest profile team - Gayle, AB, Kohli, Head, Yadav, Watson, Rahul, Mills, Mline .........!!! The are certain to miss out now - 5 points of 9 game, including a lucky wash out SRH.

Back