Jaya Bachchan questions ‘why Indian women are wearing more western clothes’

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Jaya Bachchan never seems to run out of questions for youth, to be précised. She appeared on the podcast What The Hell Navya, and threw some questions at her daughter Shweta Bachchan and granddaughter Navya Naveli Nanda. Out of which, one question was directed towards why Indian women choose to dress up western more than cultural.

As the conversation flowed, Jaya asked both women accompanying her, “Why is it, I want to ask you both, that Indian women are wearing more western clothes?” to which Navya replied, ‘I don’t know.’ Whereas Shweta said, “I think it's because of ease of movement. It's easier to move around. A lot of women are now just not just at home, they are going out, they are getting jobs. It is easier to pull on a pair of pants and a T-shirt or a shirt than it is to maybe drape a saree."

Jaya, shedding a light on what she thinks about it, said, "I feel what has happened is very unknowingly, we've accepted that the western clothing is more… it gives that manpower to a woman. I would love to see a woman in a womanpower. I'm not saying go wear a saree that's just an example but I think in the west also women always dressed in dresses. This whole thing much later in life where they also started also wearing pants."

To which Shweta said, “Yes with the industrial revolution and when all the men went to war and women started working in factories. So they had to wear pants because you can't be doing heavy machine work with.”

On the work front, Jaya will be seen in Rocky aur Rani ki Prem Kahani helmed by Karan Johar, which will be released next year.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/1...indian-women-are-wearing-more-western-clothes

Good point - is there a complex associated with wearing Indian clothes?

Good point - is there a complex associated with wearing Indian clothes?

The sari definitely isn't very practical for work. However, I would have thought a more sensible choice would be the shalwar kameez which is adopted by Sikh women or in Pakistan. Western clothes make sense in colder climates, but I think cotton clothes are easier to wear in hot climates.

But then I guess wearing clothes isn't just about practicality, maybe Indians feel western clothes gives them more style or status.

To be honest, shirt and pants are better than saree because saree exposes more skin (belly and lower back).

Its amazing when a third world thinks itself as a first world and starts talking about first world issues.

I mean are there are not other more important problems in the Indian society to talk about?

Western clothes are more comfortable when walking long distances and commuting in busy trains and buses.

Western clothes are more comfortable when walking long distances and commuting in busy trains and buses.

No it isnt Desi clothese like the kurta or kameez which are loose fitting are much more comfortable in hot countries

I think the subtle question she is asking is, why Indian females now wear more sexy n revealing type western clothes in the show biz.

And as we see in many Indian talk shows, songs, movies, and ads that sometimes females wear western clothes that would probably be deemed very inappropriate in the golden era of 60’s and 70’s for a heroin or good character in movies would wear.

I think it’s very common from that generation to notice this change and question why women wear such western clothes today?

In general, the third world societies always copy the standards of the first world.

And in that effort of copying west, we quickly copy those things that are easy to do regardless of if the conflict the moral norms of the third world country.

For example it’s easier to copy west in wearing western clothes (tight tank top with no bra and a knee length yoga pants) but it’s very hard to copy west in keeping your cities and streets free of trash, like they do it in the west.

Clearly her India is Delhi and Mumbai and doesn’t know how other parts of India dress for corporate offices or even outside.

Because they can wear whatever they want.

The line of questioning is a euphemism on why Indians are not embracing Indian nationalism, more so identifying themselves as Indian.

It is no secret the stigma and effects of the British Empire still haunts India, so why keep the stigma and memories alive by dressing as Westerners?

In other words, when will Indians embrace their own identity? This is the question she is asking.

Pakistanis wear westerns clothes also. So does everyone else like Korea, japans, and on and on. This is really not an issue. And I am sure there are more important issues at hand

Countries trade amongst each other and indians like other nationalities tend to adopt any style or buy any item that is more convenient for them. It's called globalisation, Jaya.

Personally, I love seeing the indian saree being worn, not just as a cultural marker but also as a more sensuous piece of clothing. But I guess that is the sultry desi gene in me speaking. :101:

Its amazing when a third world thinks itself as a first world and starts talking about first world issues.

I mean are there are not other more important problems in the Indian society to talk about?

Indeed, how dare she speak about clothes on an entertainment podcast, when it is exclusively the domain of the first world. Shameful. Hope she goes and stands in the corner and thinks about what she did.

One thing I will give Jaya Bacchan credit, she always dressed modestly and traditionally even in her acting heyday and post stardom

The line of questioning is a euphemism on why Indians are not embracing Indian nationalism, more so identifying themselves as Indian.

It is no secret the stigma and effects of the British Empire still haunts India, so why keep the stigma and memories alive by dressing as Westerners?

In other words, when will Indians embrace their own identity? This is the question she is asking.

Indians have a pretty strong identity actually. You don’t have to look like you from old/ medieval good old days times to prove your identity. Maybe they tell you in the part of the world where you live that jeans etc are western clothes etc and prohibited but it’s pretty much the standard every where else. every urban centers around the world. I would assume Pakistan too but you would know better.

Last edited:
Why is the emphasis on women? Should we also ask why Indian men (or Pakistani) are not wearing more traditional clothes?

Jaya madam must ask why are Indians using western modes of communication and commute? Why are Indians driving cars and bikes and god forbid planes? Why not use bullock carts, horses for transport and pigeons for communication?

Why is the emphasis on women? Should we also ask why Indian men (or Pakistani) are not wearing more traditional clothes?

In Pakistan the men and women still largely wear traditional clothes, I think mainly because wearing jeans can be uncomfortable in very hot temperatures. If I go there I wear shalwar kameez as well, it's just far better suited to the climate. Equally I always think it's faintly ridiculous to wear shalwar kameez in the UK because it's not suitable for cold or wet weather.

I'm surprised more people aren't actually wondering the same thing themselves instead of getting uber defensive and whatabout-ing.

No it isnt Desi clothese like the kurta or kameez which are loose fitting are much more comfortable in hot countries

Kurta and Kameez are brought to India by invading Central Asian and Turkic invaders. Indian women used to wear Saree and its many variants.

Just an addendum to the above post, you could make shalwar kameez a bit more suited to modern life, not sure they need to be as baggy around the legs as they still are. You could still have western style clothing made out of lighter material like cotton rather than heavy denim.

Kurta and Kameez are brought to India by invading Central Asian and Turkic invaders. Indian women used to wear Saree and its many variants.

Western clothes were brought by invading westerners as well. Maybe Indian women just are more impressed by invaders and are keen to adopt their attire.

Indeed, how dare she speak about clothes on an entertainment podcast, when it is exclusively the domain of the first world. Shameful. Hope she goes and stands in the corner and thinks about what she did.

She's spot on. Sadly we are losing our culture and in 20 years will just be like the UK and US with drinking and promiscuous behaviour normalised.

Indian's have had a western complex for years. Now they also encourage single motherhood a thing that has historically been totally alien to them. The need to mock the west is more in India then any other country or culture. Even if a person has no educational qualifications but speaks English they are considered as being well educated:sharjeel I don't know why they've become dinosaurs in there own country. It's embarrassing to say the least. Good thing is many Indian's are now speaking against it.

As Pakistanis we should be proud of holding much better to our traditions. So what if Pak players have poor English skills. It is still much better then the Urdu of English speaking players:usman

When you types such messages including your other messages on this thread, you come across as someone who certainly didn't have a very cultured upbringing. Just my 2 cents. You can continue with your vitriol and name calling of women, it might impress some people.

I just replied to a poster in his own language happy davy, you must have missed that guy's input. My posts on this thread have probably been the most logical and practical in light of the OP.

Western clothes were brought by invading westerners as well. Maybe Indian women just are more impressed by invaders and are keen to adopt their attire.

People can wear whatever they want. But to say that pant and shirt are symbols of western colonial dominance while conveniently ignoring that Kurta and Kameez are remnants of Turkic invasions shows the blatant hypocrisy.

Jaya Bacchan clearly has no idea of what she is talking. A typical grandma.

People can wear whatever they want. But to say that pant and shirt are symbols of western colonial dominance while conveniently ignoring that Kurta and Kameez are remnants of Turkic invasions shows the blatant hypocrisy.

Jaya Bacchan clearly has no idea of what she is talking. A typical grandma.

It was you who broiught up colonial invaders, my point about Indian clothing has mostly been about what is suitable for the climate. Keep your chaddis on lad.

"Be It Bikini Or Hijab...": Trinamool's Nussrat Jahan On 'Pathaan' Row

Trinamool Congress MP Nussrat Jahan has strongly condemned comments by some BJP leaders on actor Deepika Padukone for wearing an orange outfit in a song of the Shah Rukh Khan starrer 'Pathaan'.

"It is not about anybody's ideology. It is about one party in power trying to create such a picture in a set of people. So what they are doing is, anything that is spiritual, religious are endorsed well and are highly appreciated. And now they start talking about culture, women wearing bikini," Ms Jahan told NDTV today.

"They have a problem with everything. They have a problem with women wearing hijab. They have a problem with women wearing bikini. It is them who are telling the new-age women of India what to wear," Ms Jahan said.

"They are trying to command our lives by telling us what to wear, what to eat, how we should talk, how we should walk, what we should learn in school, what we should watch on TV…we are completely directed in this so-called new, evolved India. It is so scary. I fear that in the long run, I do not know where it would take all of us," the Trinamool MP told NDTV.

Ms Jahan's comments came a day after Shah Rukh Khan warned people against the "divisive and destructive" nature of social media.

Among those who have targeted 'Pathaan' are Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Narottam Mishra of the BJP, who claimed one of the songs in the film showed a "contaminated mindset" and threatened to block its release in the state.

Central to the controversy around 'Pathaan' is an allegation that in the song 'Besharam Rang' (Shameless Colour), Ms Padukone wears an orange outfit which, according to its detractors, resembles the saffron that is sacred in Hinduism and is the main colour of the BJP.

Campaigns based on such scanty excuses against Mr Khan and those of his colleagues who are not seen as unabashed supporters of the ruling party have grown in recent years, threatening the country's vast film industry.

NDTV

There is no single and simple answer for this.

Firstly, saree is practical as a everyday wear. Though even today most girls prefer saree for any festival or functions.

Secondly, there is a notion that if a girl/woman wears saree then they are typecast as 'behenji' and old fanisoned. While wearing western clothes is percieved as being modern and fashionable.

Thirdly, bollywood too has done its bit with its westernised movies.

Many women work in corporates and do wear suits etc. Posters who have alleged that Indian women are wearing more revealing clothes are not entirely accurate. That is only a tiny fraction who are overrepresented in the media especially in entertainment.

Most western wear in India is not like that at all. Even if it is , Im not sure what the issue is. Don't like it, don't look at it.

Many women work in corporates and do wear suits etc. Posters who have alleged that Indian women are wearing more revealing clothes are not entirely accurate. That is only a tiny fraction who are overrepresented in the media especially in entertainment.

Most western wear in India is not like that at all. Even if it is , Im not sure what the issue is. Don't like it, don't look at it.

Its a point scoring thread and Jaya doesn’t work to realize that , their interactions with general public is just media and hence the generalization.

Its a point scoring thread and Jaya doesn’t work to realize that , their interactions with general public is just media and hence the generalization.

Why is it a point scoring thread? What points are to be scored from how women choose to dress in India?

Back