KL Rahul’s undefeated 70 helps India to reach 208/8 at stumps on Day 1 of the 1st Test against South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1703499589997.png

It will be a huge challenge for India to step up and register a decent result against South Africa in their own backyard, especially in the Test format. India have never won a test series and Rohit Sharma and his troops will be diligently motivated to turn things around.

India have been in the WTC Finals in the last two cycles, and it will be a massive boost for them if they can get a positive result in the first Test against the Proteas. With the likes of Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli and other top stars back in the fold, the visitors will be quite confident of a good performance in Centurion.

South Africa have had their ups and downs in the Red Ball cricket but will take confidence from their long-term success over India in Tests. In the last Test series, they won against the West Indies, but India challenge will be a tougher one.

There is also a rain prediction on the first day of the Test which may see a complete washout. Hence effectively we may have a match affected by rain and may have far less action than allotted over the five days.

South Africa Squad: Temba Bavuma, David Bedingham, Nandre Burger, Gerald Coetzee, Tony de Zorzi, Dean Elgar, Marco Jansen, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, Wiaan Mulder, Lungi Ngidi, Keegan Petersen, Kagiso Rabada, Tristan Stubbs and Kyle Verreynne.

India Squad: Squad: Rohit Sharma, Shubman Gill, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Shardul Thakur, Mohammed Siraj, Mukesh Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah, Prasidh Krishna, KS Bharat, Abhimanyu Easwaran

In terms of prediction, I believe it will be a closely contested match, but expect India to just edge past South Africa, but it may end up in a draw. Who do you think will come out of top in 1st Test?

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Last edited:
Indian cricket team skipper Rohit Sharma said at the pre match press conference:

"We have never won a Test series in South Africa and it'll be a big thing if we do it here. I do not know whether it'll be able to take away the pain of World Cup defeat. If we are able to achieve it then it'll be a good thing. Itna Mehnat Kiya hai to kuch to chahiye humko."

"The way we played, you expect to go an inch further. Unfortunately, we couldn't do it. That was the hard part. You saw how we managed to play the 10 games"

"We didn't do certain things well in the final and that's why we lost. It is hard but there's so much happening in life, so much cricket, you've got to find the strength. It took me time to come out but you've got to move on."

"We got a lot of encouragement from the outside world and that motivated me personally to get up."

Exciting series! Expecting Kohli to have wonderful time considering his frustration towards 3rd umpire in last series.

Ahead of the opening Test, Indian skipper Rohit Sharma spoke about KL Rahul in the pre-match conference:

"There are hardly a few players who have just stuck to one position and played throughout their career in that position and KL is one of them."

"So it gives us an option to play a solid batter at 5, 6, 7, whatever that position may be. He’s got an experience, to play in these conditions. He came here about 100 last time. Although he opened the innings there, this time around he’ll be in the middle order. But I, even I think the position that he’s batting, in limited overs, ODI cricket, we’ve seen that he does most of the things right."

"He bats really well, and he understands the game really well. And obviously he is an experienced player. So, he knows exactly what is required at different stages of the game. And that gives us a solid balance there with an experienced player coming in the middle, which is good.”

"But I’m not sure how long he wants to keep, but as of now, he’s quite keen to take that role."

Rohit is still carrying the monkey of WC debacle which means he won't be 100 percent both as captain and as a player.

On cricinfo, I heard Manju indicate that India would go with Mukesh in the XI ahead of Prasidh. If that happens, I will not watch a ball of this series.

Virat has been shuttling between Mumbai/Joburg till the eve of this test - publicly suggested reason is family of course - but apparently commercial engagements.

This should tell you the state of mind and seriousness the Indians would be going in with for this series.

Rohit is still carrying the monkey of WC debacle which means he won't be 100 percent both as captain and as a player.

No idea why they keep on asking him about that in pressers.

Indiq would be extremely stupid to play Mukesh. He sucks

Huge battle this - and will decide if SA are proper contenders for WTC or not.

On cricinfo, I heard Manju indicate that India would go with Mukesh in the XI ahead of Prasidh. If that happens, I will not watch a ball of this series.

Virat has been shuttling between Mumbai/Joburg till the eve of this test - publicly suggested reason is family of course - but apparently commercial engagements.

This should tell you the state of mind and seriousness the Indians would be going in with for this series.
My god Mukesh is in the squad?

Virat has great Test stats against South Africa and in South Africa. In South Africa, Virat has scored 719 runs in seven Tests at an average of 51.35, with two centuries and three fifties in 14 innings. His best score is 153.

Virat's statistics in the Boxing Day:

In his debut Boxing Day Test back in 2011 against Australia at Melbourne, he could score just 11 and 0 in his two innings.

His next Boxing Day outing was slightly better, against South Africa, in which he scored 46,11.

His next Boxing Day Test outing against Australia was brilliant, as he scored 169 and 54 in both his innings to help India draw the match.

Four years later, Virat played another Boxing Day Test at MCG, scoring 82 and 0 in both innings.

At Centurion three years later, Virat was going through a rough patch in Test cricket, scoring 35 and 18 in both innings of his fifth Boxing Day Test.

Overall, Virat has played five Boxing Day Tests, scoring 426 runs in 10 innings at an average of 42.60, with a century and two fifties.

Hope India play prasidh not mukesh prasidh right format is test his bowling suit for south African conditions

99 percent that mukesh dinda Kumar will play head of prasidh
I have never seen such a poor bowler. How this gut gets selected for India given india have so many other talented bowlers is unfathomable. Some parchi level selection.

Hope India play prasidh not mukesh prasidh right format is test his bowling suit for south African conditions
Prasidh with bum and m.siraj is a very good attack. Lacking a good 4th bowler who can bat though. Coetze and jansen can both bat ans that's where the conditions play a role.
Thakur I am not convinced with. His batting wasn't that good last time in SA. He bowls good for a support bowler.

India should have selected Arshdeep. But they selected Prasidh and Mukesh.😂
Yes arshdeep looked good. Not sure what his first class credentials are but arshdeep with bumrah siraj and whatever would look good

Opportunity for South Africa to increase chance of making it to WTC final.

If they can win it 2-0, I think they should go to WTC final (along with Australia).

Rain will spoil the party here as well.

-------------------------

According to AccuWeather, there remains a 96% chance of rain during the day. About 4 hours of rain is expected in Centurion on Tuesday during the day. Even the past couple of days witnessed quite relentless rain, meaning the outfield wouldn't be in the best condition too.

As the day progresses, the chances of rain are expected to improve. AccuWeather suggests 60% chance of rain in the night, a fact that could affect the second day's play in Centurion too.​

NDTV

No Shami. and they are talking about 120kmph terror mukesh to be in team. Should have selected umraan. We need someone without and out pace to push them saffer onto back foot. umraan is of correct age and worth a try instead of useless kumar.
Or any other guy.
as an indian i have very less hopes in this series.

No Shami. and they are talking about 120kmph terror mukesh to be in team. Should have selected umraan. We need someone without and out pace to push them saffer onto back foot. umraan is of correct age and worth a try instead of useless kumar.
Or any other guy.
as an indian i have very less hopes in this series.
South Africa most likely to destroy us

In these conditions I think SA is better than any Asian side. But they seem to have lost interest in test cricket, even sending a second string side to NZ next year because of the clash with their domestic T20 league. India can capitalize on their loss of interest in tests but even if we win, nothing big to celebrate. SA hasn't been the same force since the retirement of Amla, AB, 2019-20 was probably the last time they were fearsome, but even then Lankans had breached the fortress.

Day 1: Toss delayed due to wet outfield

In these conditions I think SA is better than any Asian side. But they seem to have lost interest in test cricket, even sending a second string side to NZ next year because of the clash with their domestic T20 league. India can capitalize on their loss of interest in tests but even if we win, nothing big to celebrate. SA hasn't been the same force since the retirement of Amla, AB, 2019-20 was probably the last time they were fearsome, but even then Lankans had breached the fortress.
There was no AB when Lankans toured.

Indians are sooo screwed lol..

Seaming wicket, cloud cover and batting first..

Yikes...

1-0 SA, best to fight back next match.

99 percent that mukesh dinda Kumar will play head of prasidh
not happening. Prasidh to debut....Thank heavens!!....indian media and fans seeing Prasidh as an Ishant like guy who will give 25-30 steady ov per day, i don't think he is half a good as Ishant...but defo better than 110kmph mukesh kumar types who our BCCI is obssessed with.
And SAF win toss, put India in....so obviously they banking on conditions to bowl out India cheapely....

Jadeja out of this test due to back spasm. Our tail starts at number 7 lol.

KL Rahul back into the XI smells of blatant favoritism. He got dropped from tests after a horror run, what amends has he made in Ranji or with A tours? Dravid playing his Kannadiga boy Prasidh as well.

Jadeja injured then why they not pick axar Indian team management always pick wrong 11

Ideally Ashwin should play in England, Jadeja should start in SA. But with Indian cricket, everything happens opposite and applying common sense or logic is a crime.

KL Rahul back into the XI smells of blatant favoritism. He got dropped from tests after a horror run, what amends has he made in Ranji or with A tours? Dravid playing his Kannadiga boy Prasidh as well.
What a nightmare

Bro, no Rishabh, Ishan has gone back to india for personal reasons....with KL - at least the batting is strengthened...what specific favoritism ru referring to? who woudl keep wickets in this scenario? - Sanju samson? or the U19 keeper?

Bro, no Rishabh, Ishan has gone back to india for personal reasons....with KL - at least the batting is strengthened...what specific favoritism ru referring to? who woudl keep wickets in this scenario? - Sanju samson? or the U19 keeper?
Upendra yadav he have a good fc career

No use of playing a spinner in Centurion. Especially for an Asian side because SA curators since the SL series loss have done their best to remove spinners out of the contest.

Needed an extra batsman here, maybe Easwaran as 3rd opener.

Upendra yadav
Whoz he? i mean he must have set the Ranji scene alight and tore down trees with his runs and keeping - has he?. If not, was'nt KL the logical choice and specifically what kannadiga favoritism would you be referring to? so an unknown not being selected smacks of regional favoritism?

No use of playing a spinner in Centurion. Especially for an Asian side because SA curators since the SL series loss have done their best to remove spinners out of the contest.

Needed an extra batsman here, maybe Easwaran as 3rd opener.
Indians and Asian sides in general have no clue about pitches and conditions. Ashwin won't won't anything here. He averages 60 in SA. Or something like that.

Jadeja is finished. Please drop him from all formats. I'm more worried about Ashwin's bowling here rather than his batting. Should have just played the extra batter and got part time spin like what Pakistan is doing in Australia. We will see how much India has declined in this format with geriatrics like Rohit, Kohli and Ash ploughing on despite their advanced ages.

Literally no difference between the outfield and the pitch. In fact, I think batting on the outfield will be easier here :facepalm

Compared to this pitch, MCG is a patta wicket. Rabada is only bowling at 133 kph. Ball is moving in the air anad off the deck plus bouncing as well.

I like this type of pitch .no runfeast
If rank turners are fined and rated "poor" by ICC, these should get similar ratings but they don't. It's their home series, they can create whatever they want but the hypocrisy of the ICC will be at full display in matches like these

South Africa won the toss and elected to field first.

Teams:

South Africa
(Playing XI): Dean Elgar, Aiden Markram, Tony de Zorzi, Temba Bavuma(c), Keegan Petersen, David Bedingham, Kyle Verreynne(w), Marco Jansen, Gerald Coetzee, Kagiso Rabada, Nandre Burger

India (Playing XI): Rohit Sharma(c), Yashasvi Jaiswal, Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul(w), Ravichandran Ashwin, Shardul Thakur, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj, Prasidh Krishna

If rank turners are fined and rated "poor" by ICC, these should get similar ratings but they don't. It's their home series, they can create whatever they want but the hypocrisy of the ICC will be at full display in matches like these
Rank Turner is same as this pitch. I never cry about pitch instead of enjoying the match, who care about ICC rating .

Gifted his wicket with his favorite shot. One fielder. Found him perfectly. He has to realize he is playing Tests not ODis not to keep the ball down. Rabada was trundling at 130 kph. He gave him an opening.

You don't need 5th bowler on this pitch. Saffers have selected 7 batsmen and 4 bowlers. They'll just use Markram to give quicks a rest. India needed the extra batter. There was no need for a spinner here.

Also rohit is rabada bunny. He has got him out like 10 times.

Rohit only good in Asia and somewhat ok in England. He sucks in SA nz and even in aus.

What was india thinking? Jaiswal i
Uneven bounce on 8th ball of the innings. Typical Saffers. Create rubbish pitches and then come to India and whinge like no tomorrow :inti
They whine alot. Biggest girls out there. Seriously. Very annoying country. Full of hillbillies. They think their crap doesn't stink.

Double standards. But I got to say their stadiums are amazing. Crowd generally is good.

Rohit should retire now from international cricket
He should quit all formats. He is no good. If jaiswal played in odi instead of guys like kohli then india probably would have won the final. Rohit did well in odi though but he is old now.

Rohit there is a reason why he balked on SA Tour. He is crap vs seam. Always. One fluke series vs england aside.
you have solid empirical quantifiable analytical quotable evidence that he 'balked out' on SA tour?

What was india thinking? Jaiswal i

They whine alot. Biggest girls out there. Seriously. Very annoying country. Full of hillbillies. They think their crap doesn't stink.

Double standards. But I got to say their stadiums are amazing. Crowd generally is good.
Yeah. Love their grounds and crowds. Cricket in the Southern Hemisphere is something else.

Jaiswal gone. 4 high release bowlers on a tailor made pitch. an't even blame the batters for this. You have to look to score or you'll find a lekker peach of a nut with your name on it anyway

Whoz he? i mean he must have set the Ranji scene alight and tore down trees with his runs and keeping - has he?. If not, was'nt KL the logical choice and specifically what kannadiga favoritism would you be referring to? so an unknown not being selected smacks of regional favoritism?
if they can give chance to Srikar Bharat then they can give a chance to upendra yadavScreenshot_2023-12-26-14-38-26-386-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

Here is India's lumber 1 batsman. Worst test player in the Indian team right now. Let's watch kohli lel spoon one to slips

India don't need ashwin in this pitch they can go with Abhimanyu Easwaran jaiswal can be India 5th bowler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back