Kuldeep Yadav's majestic (5/72) wreaks havoc on England (218), trailing India (135/1) by 83 runs at stumps on day 1

If Jaiswal wants to break Gavaskar's records (twice 700+ that man), this is his final chance. Most likely outcome is innings victory for India.

Man, Jaiswal will be kicking himself. English players have given up, there for the taking.

What a waste by jaiswal....but he is young will learn from this, has the hunger and the talent...just needs to temper his aggression

I attended a wedding last week. An American blonde girl marrying my wife's cousin - full traditional South Indian wedding lasting 4 hours with all sorts of rituals and 100+ people attending, giving instructions and fussing over her. I felt sorry for the poor girl - while she was game and trying hard, she was so overwhelmed by the end of it, she was nearly in tears.

I tell this long story because of it's similarity to the England team today. Just the whole month and a half of facing the great Indian spinners and that never ending Indian batting order. They're saying all the right things and trying but they're just done and mentally out of it. Put a fork in them and serve.

Hartley has disappointed a lot after the highs of first test.
We always struggle with new bowlers, Todd Murphy also did the damage last year first up that too in his debut game, Lyon wasn't effective in the first 2 tests.

First thing i saw after switching on TV was an animated Bashir. I thought India was in all kinds of danger. Scoreboard was then shown and dude, that was an overreaction if any..

Looks like England have waived the flag of surrender with that pathetic effort with the bat. Seems the batting has got worse as tour has gone on.

First thing i saw after switching on TV was an animated Bashir. I thought India was in all kinds of danger. Scoreboard was then shown and dude, that was an overreaction if any..
Tbh Jaiswal took special liking to him today. Little animation when he finally outfoxed him was justified.

I attended a wedding last week. An American blonde girl marrying my wife's cousin - full traditional South Indian wedding lasting 4 hours with all sorts of rituals and 100+ people attending, giving instructions and fussing over her. I felt sorry for the poor girl - while she was game and trying hard, she was so overwhelmed by the end of it, she was nearly in tears.

I tell this long story because of it's similarity to the England team today. Just the whole month and a half of facing the great Indian spinners and that never ending Indian batting order. They're saying all the right things and trying but they're just done and mentally out of it. Put a fork in them and serve.
Only difference is, the bride appeared to be reticent and shy and didn't show false bravado which English camp did with their ill timed statements which were bordering on arrogance.

Only difference is, the bride appeared to be reticent and shy and didn't show false bravado which English camp did with their ill timed statements which were bordering on arrogance.
Dude, it's almost like you were at Kari & Karthik's marriage! Yeah no sympathies for England. They made their bed with all the Bazball hype and now must lie in it.

I suppose they had to try something though. Previous teams have come quietly like lamb for the slaughter, taken the slaughter sportingly and returned. At least these guys made some off-field noise and got under our skin enough to face all this vitriol.

I see jaiswal scored 46 runs of him including the same treatment as Anderson, 3 sixes in an over

Dude, it's almost like you were at Kari & Karthik's marriage! Yeah no sympathies for England. They made their bed with all the Bazball hype and now must lie in it.

I suppose they had to try something though. Previous teams have come quietly like lamb for the slaughter, taken the slaughter sportingly and returned. At least these guys made some off-field noise and got under our skin enough to face all this vitriol.
Would have been better had they concentrated on the job, which is to make runs and take wickets, instead of issuing those statements.

Always better to have your bat and ball do the talking.

Would have been better had they concentrated on the job, which is to make runs and take wickets, instead of issuing those statements.

Always better to have your bat and ball do the talking.
Honestly, they weren't capable of it. Yes maybe if they'd dropped the Bazball nonsense and let the likes of Root play his game, maybe they'd have run us a little closer but I seriously doubt if the result would've been any different.

Whether their bat & ball did the talking or their mouths did at silly press conferences, 5-0 or 4-1 was their fate. Teams with this quality of batting and bowling just don't win in India. It took a near all-time great England with spinners of the quality of Swann & Monty, pacers like Anderson & Broad at their peak and batters of the quality of Pietersen & Cook both of whom could make a case for England's All-time XI to beat India in India.

I suppose I shouldn't be counting my 4-1 chickens before they hatch but tough to resist.

Joe Root, Jonny Bairstow, and Ben Stokes, the middle-order engine room who have all had a poor series critical to England's defeat, all played in the World Cup. Mark Wood, averaging 60 this series, also participated. No excuse, but these guys have had long winters in India, three months in the toughest country to tour.

England cricket team assistant coach Marcus Trescothick said after day 1 stumps of the 5th Test between India and England:

"We are a very unique side in how we go about things. I don't think we will study what India do too much."

"We don't get too down when we have bad days, we don't get too high when we have good days."

"You just have to stay level and recognise what you can do better. Hopefully we come back and improve."

"We had some good things - the way we played up until lunch when the ball swung around more than we expected, Crawley getting that score."

"We just didn't get those partnerships going to get a big score and put the total on the board we needed to."

"It was a challenging day, no doubt about that."

Bashir "The Don" for you😂
66gXwes.jpeg

Who was saying here that outfield of his ground is poor and that this ground doesn't deserve to hold international games?

All I could see was a lush green and beautiful outfield.

Who was saying here that outfield of his ground is poor and that this ground doesn't deserve to hold international games?

All I could see was a lush green and beautiful outfield.
During the last World Cup there were some talks about the poor/dangerous outfield. I think it was due to rain at that time.

Nicely described. I’ve posted along these lines in another thread. In the last game of a rough tour where they’ve already lost, it is common for an England team’s trousers to completely fall down. I’ve seen it far too many times.

To many passengers in the England batting line up, some of the collapses have just been beyond pathetic. You have players like Bairstow getting quick 20s and 30s and then throwing it away like it's a T20 game, the fact he's been allowed to play 100 tests when he's been useless all series just shows how poor selections have been.

Ollie popes shot to get out and the timing of it was dumb as well.

To many passengers in the England batting line up, some of the collapses have just been beyond pathetic. You have players like Bairstow getting quick 20s and 30s and then throwing it away like it's a T20 game, the fact he's been allowed to play 100 tests when he's been useless all series just shows how poor selections have been.

Ollie popes shot to get out and the timing of it was dumb as well.
It is more desperation. When you don't know which way the ball turns ball after ball after ball you are likely to do something sillly.

Today was a microcosm of Bairstow’s career. He still has the skills and the eye, but at this stage he’s lost the hunger and mental strength to play a long and meaningful innings. I doubt he’s gutted to get out anymore. He should get the tap on the shoulder after the plane journey home — his 100th Test should also be his last.

It is more desperation. When you don't know which way the ball turns ball after ball after ball you are likely to do something sillly.
I'd understand if the players were playing on rank turner's, but they haven't all series. Also this was a day 1 pitch, and none of the batsmen had any interest in batting for long periods, the go out and try it smack it for 30 or 40 balls has beeb poorly exposed in these conditions. So the desperation of shots was just a shambles, if you can't pick which way a ball is turning after 5 tests in this series you shouldn't be playing test cricket.

The very few teams to have won or even drawn series in India in the past have done so by occupying crease and putting big runs on the board and winning by attritional cricket.

The very few teams have won or even drawn series in India in the past have done so by occupying crease and putting big runs on the board and winning by attritional cricket.
Bazball is to entertain crowds not to win by boring attritional cookish cricket

I'd understand if the players were playing on rank turner's, but they haven't all series. Also this was a day 1 pitch, and none of the batsmen had any interest in batting for long periods, the go out and try it smack it for 30 or 40 balls has beeb poorly exposed in these conditions. So the desperation of shots was just a shambles, if you can't pick which way a ball is turning after 5 tests in this series you shouldn't be playing test cricket.

The very few teams to have won or even drawn series in India in the past have done so by occupying crease and putting big runs on the board and winning by attritional cricket.

They were trying to read him from the pitch. That was the problem Once they couldn't read him they tried to hit him out of hte attack and failed. No it is not easy to pick Kuldeep evne if there is a hint of turn. Kuldeep was not a regular for India for a long time. That is why we have not seen this before. Going forward you will see more teams struggling against him. Even in one dayer he bamboozled guys like Root, Williamson. Attritional cricket requires strong defensive technique. None of these guys have that. They try to camp on the backfoot and read off the pitch. Not going to work against wristies.

They were trying to read him from the pitch. That was the problem Once they couldn't read him they tried to hit him out of hte attack and failed. No it is not easy to pick Kuldeep evne if there is a hint of turn. Kuldeep was not a regular for India for a long time. That is why we have not seen this before. Going forward you will see more teams struggling against him. Even in one dayer he bamboozled guys like Root, Williamson. Attritional cricket requires strong defensive technique. None of these guys have that. They try to camp on the backfoot and read off the pitch. Not going to work against wristies.
England batsmen were simply just to expansive in the shots they played and on top of that just showed no intelligence in trying to tackle the lengths kuldeep was bowling.

Most competent batsmen have to ways of combating spin, you either use good footwork down the pitch or create angles in the crease.

Or you get batsmen who just look to sweep everything.

England's batsmen did neither it was all just flashing at balls, head up in the air.

Even if you can't pick every delivery you can still negate deliveries based on length. Most batsmen touring India now have zero defensive skills to combat spinners.

Kuldeep to his credit did bowl very well.

Yah, You have to score big in the first inning.

Eng got zero rank turners in this series. Dharmshala on day 1 was a very good batting pitch. Even Stokes called it belter.

Cute 30-40 can't win games, you got to score big.

Only thing I will say in Eng's defence - they are up against a great bowling unit.

Back