Multan Sultans (170/5) defeat Lahore Qalandars (166/5) by 5 wickets to register their third win on the trot in PSL 9

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Lahore Qalandars are up against the formidable Multan Sultans, presenting a challenging encounter. The teams have cultivated a spirited rivalry in recent times, making it to the finals in the last two seasons.

Facing criticism, the Qalandars suffered consecutive defeats against Islamabad United and Quetta Gladiators. Specifically, scrutiny falls on their bowling unit, with Pakistani premium pacers Haris Rauf and Shaheen Afridi under the spotlight.

Contrastingly, Multan appears well-balanced with Rizwan, Dawid Malan, and Reeza Hendricks in their top order, complemented by Khushdil and Iftikhar in the middle. In-form fast bowlers like Muhammad Ali and Abbas Afridi bolster the team's completeness, positioning them as strong contenders for the title.

The strategic acquisition of Usama Mir from Karachi Kings proves to be a significant move by the Sultans' think tank. Lahore must remain cautious of Mir's impact during the middle overs, especially on a challenging playing surface.

Who will emerge victorious tonight?

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Last edited:
Toss update:

Multan Sultan v Lahore Qalandars at Multan Stadium, Multan

LQ have won the toss and are batting first

Toss update:

Multan Sultan v Lahore Qalandars at Multan Stadium, Multan

LQ have won the toss and are batting first
Multan Sultans (Playing XI):

Mohammad Rizwan(w/c), Dawid Malan, Reeza Hendricks, Yasir Khan, Iftikhar Ahmed, Khushdil Shah, David Willey, Usama Mir, Abbas Afridi, Mohammad Ali, Shahnawaz Dahani

Lahore Qalandars (Playing XI):

Fakhar Zaman, Sahibzada Farhan(w), Rassie van der Dussen, Abdullah Shafique, Sikandar Raza, George Linde, Carlos Brathwaite, Jahandad Khan, Shaheen Afridi(c), Haris Rauf, Zaman Khan

Rauf playing again?

Why are they wasting Muhammad Imran??

Mohammad Ali... GOAT bowler in PSL apparently.

What an amazing and unexpected run.

This guy Muhammad Ali is unplayable. He looks very non-threatening in his run up, but when he bowls, it swings, seams and looks a lot quicker than what the speed gun suggests.

Mohammad ali has impressed a lot untill now in this Test. He has played a test match against england last year but was not that threatning. But he has been performing very well in last 2 seasons of QEZ trophy.

139.7 clicks right there by Ali. He's got the pace to sit in the 135 range and while its easy to bowl your max speeds in T20's, I would like to see him improve his stamina and try to maintain around 135 in Tests.

Has a real chance to have a good Test career then.

Edit: 141.6 the following ball

Rassie failed in ipl and sa don't play him in t20. Didn't qalandars get anyone other than rassie

Fakhar really struggling here against spinners

Another 160ish game

Usama Mir maybe bowling well but it will take a lot to forgive his atrocious bowling in that World Cup. A slow bowler who struggles to put it on a length has no business playing international. Let’s see how he develops

Incredible bowling from Ali here. Every batter seems be struggling against him and he is keeping them guessing.

How come abdullah shagique is coming so down are they mad...

Fakhar seems to be much more effective at number 4.

He has struggled as opener in this format for ages now.

At some point we might see Abdullah and Fakhar swap places in the batting order.

Pretty sure Fakhar was 21 off 7 early on and ends with 41 off 36. Not sure he had a single boundary or six after the PP either.

Let's see how players adjust to Jahandad.

Oh my, another dolly dropped. These players clearly don't ever take their fielding seriously. Easily the most disappointing part of the PSL. It's not even tough catches are not being taken but literally dollies that 10 year old can catch are being dropped.

Fakhar seems to be much more effective at number 4.

He has struggled as opener in this format for ages now.

At some point we might see Abdullah and Fakhar swap places in the batting order.
Ages ! Do you consider last seasons PSL where he hit the most sixers and 3rd highest scorer and the season before where he was top scorer of the tournament as opener ages ?? That to with a SR of 150

Why do ppl comment without having done an iota of research.

3 catches dropped off Abbas Afridi bowling.

as I type 4th one goes down

Multan Sultans fully deserve this

Khushdil is playing because of Rizwan Dosti Yaari

Jahandad dropped for the 3rd time.

I think Khushdil should be benched for the next match. It should not be acceptable that these are the fielding standards and players need to be made an example of it going forward.

Khushdil and usama one of worst fielders. Usama dropped a dolly of Warner in WC too

Abdullah technique runs out Jahandad Khan who was looking to strike well

All Pakistan players from this group totally suck I’m afraid

Jahandad dropped for the 3rd time.

I think Khushdil should be benched for the next match. It should not be acceptable that these are the fielding standards and players need to be made an example of it going forward.
He won’t get dropped

He is one of Rizwan’s best friends

4 dropped catches in a span of 24 hours. Yeah this dude needs to sit for a couple of games. Dropped catches happen but this is simply just horrific technique and lack of focus.

Ages ! Do you consider last seasons PSL where he hit the most sixers and 3rd highest scorer and the season before where he was top scorer of the tournament as opener ages ?? That to with a SR of 150

Why do ppl comment without having done an iota of research.

Obviously I’m not talking about PSL where Fakhar has done pretty well.

There you go

Shafique didn’t run two so he can stay not out and preserve his average

I’m telling you, they are all awful

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised Shaheen didn't promote himslef instead of Abdullah

Wow Fakhar faced 36 balls and only made 41. Really slow for his shandards. Was Mohammad Ali bowling that well? loll

Wow Fakhar faced 36 balls and only made 41. Really slow for his shandards. Was Mohammad Ali bowling that well? loll
Tbh this is a bit of a tough wicket

Can never know until both teams have batted on it. Fakhar mistimed lots of big swings against the spinners. Usually they are sent back into the stands but not today from him

Urooj: The ball just drops from the sky

Yes, that's how gravity works

I recon Shaheen will pick up a couple in the powerplay

Qalandars had Jorge Linde and didn’t send him out to bat?

Bizarre

Shaheen all over Riz at the moment. but looks like doing down leg

Obviously I’m not talking about PSL where Fakhar has done pretty well.
Which tournament are you referring to when you say Ages? As he ain’t opened for Pak since 2020 and did very well in the national t20 tournament a few months ago as well .

Shaheen again wasting reviews doesn't have a clue at all does he clearly it was going above the stumps

Why all Pakistani stadiums have no light near the crowd sitting place. Its look like ghosts are watching a match. Crowd sitting area should get illumination in order to look better in telecasting.

Rauf, Dahani, Zeeshan - have the worst starts to their PSL

As for Zeeshan he's new and it's his first one.

Shaheen again wasting reviews doesn't have a clue at all does he clearly it was going above the stumps
Honestly the fielder at point should be the one telling this to Shaheen. Sometimes its hard to see fron a front on angle.
When the Aussies review they consult the bowler, keeper and a fielder who is at point or square leg

What a start for Lahore Qalandars!
Captain Shaheen Afridi fires a brilliant maiden over against Multan's skipper Mohammad Rizwan, setting the tone for an intense battle.

Honestly the fielder at point should be the one telling this to Shaheen. Sometimes its hard to see fron a front on angle.
When the Aussies review they consult the bowler, keeper and a fielder who is at point or square leg
Shaheen doesn't seem to consult with anyone though

Honestly

The Pakistani umpiring standards have been atrocious so far

One more wicket and then it will be Khusdhil or Chacha

If I were Qalandars I wouldn’t be looking to get Rizwan out

Let him stay, he will let the rr climb to 10…and then watch how Khushdil and Iftikhar bottle it

It's incredible how the ball swung away from that angle to hit the pad on off-stump

Back