Mumbai Indians are the champions of IPL 2017

As always with IPL auctions, impossible to read minds of the team talent scouts and strategists. All they are looking for is if someone fits into their overall plans and break the bank for the players they want.

As always with IPL auctions, impossible to read minds of the team talent scouts and strategists. All they are looking for is if someone fits into their overall plans and break the bank for the players they want.

Yep. Team combinations is The main factor.

Just for a single season right, so no point putting in too much money/ thought.

Reputations are at stake, so don't think the strategists and team management think its just for a season.

Also, for sure IPL will again allow teams to retain core set of players so better to identify the pool of players from this auction as well and see how well they fit in.

These IPL auctions don't make much sense.

How come Tahir who is in the form of his life goes unsold while people are willing to shell out 4 crores to Rashid Khan?

More so when these auctions are valid only for 1 year cos next year we will be going for a new one so Tahir's age shouldn't matter.

And Pune bought Stokes for 14 crores? :)))

If he has a poor season, Pune will get screwed.

Considering half the teams in IPL haven't been consistent for years, it does look like incompetence masquerading as "we know something that you don't cos we scout all year".

Pune's pacer lineup for now:

Jaydev Unadkat
Mitch Marsh
Ishwar Pandey
Deepak Chahar
Ashok Dinda

Instead of going for a quality foreign pacer, they go for Ben Stokes who may score runs but leaks a lot when he bowls.

:)))

So called strategists.

The reason why CSK was amazing was because India Cements KNEW how to built teams for a long time.

They didn't show off like other IPL teams who are all style but very little substance.

Sure, CSK lost 2 finals later on due to an old team and not replacing the pacers but the core was damn good.

KKR had a solid strategy and they turned around a dud team into a good one within a span of 1-2 seasons.

Pune's pacer lineup for now:

Jaydev Unadkat
Mitch Marsh
Ishwar Pandey
Deepak Chahar
Ashok Dinda

Instead of going for a quality foreign pacer, they go for Ben Stokes who may score runs but leaks a lot when he bowls.

:)))

So called strategists.

Exactly, that is one helluva joke of a seam bowling lineup if I ever saw one...

The reason why CSK was amazing was because India Cements KNEW how to built teams for a long time.

They didn't show off like other IPL teams who are all style but very little substance.

Sure, CSK lost 2 finals later on due to an old team and not replacing the pacers but the core was damn good.

KKR had a solid strategy and they turned around a dud team into a good one within a span of 1-2 seasons.

Are you hinting at RCB? :yk

India doesn't deserve Ishant Sharma.

If he was born in some other country, they would have treated him like a true legend he is.

for me ishant is the 2nd best pacer in india right now after shami and yadav..may be bunishwar in LOI..india is mistreating him like we do to our batsaman...he will be handy upfront and can get u wickets...

for me ishant is the 2nd best pacer in india right now after shami and yadav..may be bunishwar in LOI..india is mistreating him like we do to our batsaman...he will be handy upfront and can get u wickets...

Ishant is good in tests.

Pune probable XI so far:

1. Rahane
2. M. Agarwal
3. du Plessis/Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Dhoni
6. Stokes
7. Marsh
8. Ashwin
9. Bhatia
10. I. Pandey/Unadkat
11. Dinda

Deep batting line-up as long as Stokes is available. Weak pace bowling.

These IPL auctions don't make much sense.

How come Tahir who is in the form of his life goes unsold while people are willing to shell out 4 crores to Rashid Khan?

More so when these auctions are valid only for 1 year cos next year we will be going for a new one so Tahir's age shouldn't matter.

And Pune bought Stokes for 14 crores? :)))

If he has a poor season, Pune will get screwed.

Considering half the teams in IPL haven't been consistent for years, it does look like incompetence masquerading as "we know something that you don't cos we scout all year".

Tahir's ipl economy is 8.6, i don't see the point in buying him only to sit on the bench as any indian spinner could give the similar or even better returns and would allow the team to field a better 4th overseas player.

Tahir's ipl economy is 8.6, i don't see the point in buying him only to sit on the bench as any indian spinner could give the similar or even better returns and would allow the team to field a better 4th overseas player.

I am aware of his economy in IPL.

Here's how I see it:

1. Tahir is in exceptional form now. Steam rolling everyone he comes across.
2. IPL auction is for only 1 year.
3. Do you think Tahir is not even worth a BASIC bid at bare minimum price while someone like Rashid Khan is worth 4 crores? Pune last year tried to go for the lottery with M Ashwin (cos if it clicks, it really clicks) but in the process didn't utilize the funds to build a proper team which ensured they finished 7th.

Last edited:

Here's how I see it:

3. Do you think Tahir is not even worth a BASIC bid at bare minimum price while someone like Rashid Khan is worth 4 crores? Pune last year tried to go for the lottery with M Ashwin (cos if it clicks, it really clicks) but in the process didn't utilize the funds to build a proper team which ensured they finished 7th.
Where is M Ashwin this time?

Here's how I see it:

I agree with rest of your earlier post just not the tahir part, the problem with tahir is form doesn’t matter, he hasn't had any impact for 3 years he has played ipl, guptill was also in form of his life but ipl teams we're not convinced and most people thought the ipl guys were out of their minds not picking guptill, but in the end it was the teams who were proven right as he failed to perform anywhere near the level he produced for nz.

With Tahir the marginal benefit he provides being a tailender spinner is very less as compared to say an all rounder pacer.

Was Hardik Pandya up for auction? If he wasn't this time I expect him to be one of the most expensive players next season.

Dhoni used to be a good player.

Rahane as usual stat boosting knocks. However he is a match winner if you are chasing low or below par totals.

Smith is iffy. Never seen him perform consistently.
Dhoni's as good now as he's ever been in IPL. I don't think he was ever among CSK's biggest match-winners.

Don't think Rahane's are just stat-boosting knocks in IPL. He's consistent and plays at a decent clip too.

Smith has done well for Pune but it is probably hidden by the fact that Pune as a team has never done well.

I agree with rest of your earlier post just not the tahir part, the problem with tahir is form doesn’t matter, he hasn't had any impact for 3 years he has played ipl, guptill was also in form of his life but ipl teams we're not convinced and most people thought the ipl guys were out of their minds not picking guptill, but in the end it was the teams who were proven right as he failed to perform anywhere near the level he produced for nz.

Tahir has picked 29 wickets in 20 games at an average of 21 (9th all time best average) and SR of 8.6 (which is not good at all).

But I see where you are coming from. Fair enough.

As for Guptill, you are right in the sense people felt it was weird he wasn't picked but there was some reasoning behind it. Has Guptill ever performed in spin conditions? Even in Asia in international cricket let alone in IPL? The IPL selectors did get it right reg Guptill and Hales.

With Tahir there isn't such a question mark but I guess his economy would have been undesirable and overpowered his wicket taking ability.

Dhoni's as good now as he's ever been in IPL. I don't think he was ever among CSK's biggest match-winners.

Don't think Rahane's are just stat-boosting knocks in IPL. He's consistent and plays at a decent clip too.

Smith has done well for Pune but it is probably hidden by the fact that Pune as a team has never done well.

Been following Dhoni from the inception of IPL. CSK fan.

Last 2 seasons, Dhoni has been really poor in IPL. Sometimes he scores but majority of the pressure moments, he just isn't able to.

Watching Rahane in Pune last year was a painful experience for me. Sure, he won Pune the few games it won by chasing low/sub par totals after the batting team had collapsed...but whenever we needed him to score fast, he failed. I could see why CricketAnalyst gets so annoyed with him in the past IPLs.

Smith...I guess you are right.

yes he is good in tests and in ipl too..considering the lack of other option he should have made it into a franchise....

There is no lack of options in this IPL for Indian Pace Bowlers. There are many domestic pace bowlers available who can easily bowl around or above 140kph.Some even cross 145kph effortlessly. For accuracy and longevity need to wait and watch.

Dhoni has won CSK countless pressure games year after year in the past.

Without Dhoni, CSK wouldn't have won much.

I don't think so. CSK almost every season has had a strong top/middle order that performed, making his job easier. Without that cushion at the top, he hasn't been very good.

Nobody seems interested in the worlds number T20I and ODI bowler, Imran Tahir

Biggest myth ever. It was solely Raina who took them to playoffs year after year but Dhoni took away all the credit. We all know what happened to Dhonis captainship when Raina separated from him. Pune was 2nd last under Dhoni and Raina's team was first in the round league.

KKR adjusting for the change of wicket at Eden. Three swing bowlers with proven records picked.

KXIP's lineup

M Vijay
M vohra
G Maxwell
E Morgan *
D Miller
W Saha +
A Patel
Anureet Singh
Sandeep Sharma
M Henry
V Arron

reserve player :- M Guptil, D Sammy

sehwag underrates Spinners so much that we don't have a decent second spinner in team.

Biggest myth ever. It was solely Raina who took them to playoffs year after year but Dhoni took away all the credit. We all know what happened to Dhonis captainship when Raina separated from him. Pune was 2nd last under Dhoni and Raina's team was first in the round league.

I don't think so. CSK almost every season has had a strong top/middle order that performed, making his job easier. Without that cushion at the top, he hasn't been very good.

Raina was needed immensely for CSK wins but trust me, Dhoni played pivotal roles in crucial moments too.

If not for the 2 crucial sixes of Pathan, CSK wouldn't have even qualified for playoffs in the IPL it won.

Plus so many league games, Dhoni smashed quickly to get us to safety.

Also who can forgot the Malinga onslaught in the eliminator. No Dhoni = NO finals.

CSK was a great team which won due to contributions from many players.

If we are going to argue who is a bigger match winner amongst Raina and Dhoni...that's a debatable topic. But Dhoni has been excellent for CSK.

As for Dhoni's performance in Pune, that's cos he was over the hill. Dhoni sucked in CSK too the year before that.

Why Kings XI did not pick pervez rasool(30 lakhs)?
he is Indian
KXIP need Spinners
low price
can bat a bit

these so called strategist are beyond me

How did Pune spend more than their allocation of 66 crore??1.JPG

Last edited:
IPL 2017 Auction: No. 1 T20I bowler Imran Tahir goes unsold

IPL 2017 Auction: No. 1 T20I bowler Imran Tahir goes unsold

Imran-Tahir3.jpg

Tahir, the top-ranked limited-overs spinner from South Africa, was expected to be among the most demanded players for the Indian T20 league

Imran Tahir is not South African enough to be sold in IPL yet..

India is quite a funny country and I must say not far behind Pakistan.

Now let the apologies begin.

He has been part of previous editions.

IPL teams have access to a large pool of domestic spin bowlers and what also doesn't help Tahir is that he is a genuine tailender. Pace bowling all rounders is what they badly.

No digs bhai just saying how I feel...I think he is number one now and performing better than last year these days.

1.JPG

Lets agree that everyone on PP would understand crystal clear what you meant by "Not S African enough".

India has no shortage of spin options at home, Having Tahir would waste a precious slot of a foreign player who would complement the teams in other positions (mostly pacers or top order batsmen or allrounders).
Tahir doesn't fit into any.

Tahir has always been tonked around by Indian batsmen, even domestic ones. So if you go and run through NZ, it doesn't count when the entire tourney is in India.

Of course some franchise would have opted for him, but not taking him is not something unthinkable. they had been picking for last 3 years.

View attachment 72844

Lets agree that everyone on PP would understand crystal clear what you meant by "Not S African enough".

India has no shortage of spin options at home, Having Tahir would waste a precious slot of a foreign player who would complement the teams in other positions (mostly pacers or top order batsmen or allrounders).
Tahir doesn't fit into any.

Tahir has always been tonked around by Indian batsmen, even domestic ones. So if you go and run through NZ, it doesn't count when the entire tourney is in India.

Of course some franchise would have opted for him, but not taking him is not something unthinkable. they had been picking for last 3 years.

I think he performed well in last months to earn top ranking in T20 to get number one spot so sending IPL stats of last years will hardly do any good.

He is at the peak of his bowling in my opinion and not picked which is strange really.

How come he was South African enough in the last few years? A no-name like Tyne Mills went for twice the amount Starc got after a historic World Cup performance. A nobody like Negi earned far more than some established Indian players last year. How much sense does that make?

This is IPL and teams have their own crazy strategies, so let's not bring these silly conspiracy theories everywhere.

No digs bhai just saying how I feel...I think he is number one now and performing better than last year these days.

Did nothing in the IPL.Got tonked all over the place.Remember he will be bowling to arguably the best collective players of spin.

Last edited:
Tahir was selected in IPL for 2014, 2015 and 2016.

If Indians had a problem with him, he wouldn't have been selected for 1 season let alone 3.

Maybe if he had reduced his base price (which was at 50 lakhs), someone may have snapped him up. He is a very useful player to have in your squad.

But Rashid Khan 4 crores is baffling to the core. Basically hoping for lottery.

Last edited:
Tahir was selected in IPL for 2014, 2015 and 2016.

If Indians had a problem with him, he wouldn't have been selected for 1 season let alone 3.

Maybe if he had reduced his base price (which was at 50 lakhs), someone may have snapped him up. He is a very useful player to have in your squad.

But Rashid Khan 4 crores is baffling to the core. Basically hoping for lottery.

Hey I missed the whole auction. What happened to your beloved Ishant?

Did nothing in the IPL.Got tonked all over the place.Remember he will be bowling to arguably the best collective players of spin.

I think he is bowling his best spells these days and he is at his best ranking this year so last years are gone now...It could be that he is not picked due to cricketing reasons, but considering recent history it is not out of ordinary if he is not picked due to Pakistani background...A lot of terrible things have happened in last year due to this reason to many people.

How come he was South African enough in the last few years? A no-name like Tyne Mills went for twice the amount Starc got after a historic World Cup performance. A nobody like Negi earned far more than some established Indian players last year. How much sense does that make?

This is IPL and teams have their own crazy strategies, so let's not bring these silly conspiracy theories everywhere.

This is what baffling me as well why this sudden change of heart...May be last years Indians were not considering Pakistani roots as Pakistani it is added feature since 2017 ?? you tell me bhai.

I think he is bowling his best spells these days and he is at his best ranking this year so last years are gone now...It could be that he is not picked due to cricketing reasons, but considering recent history it is not out of ordinary if he is not picked due to Pakistani background...A lot of terrible things have happened in last year due to this reason to many people.

This is what baffling me as well why this sudden change of heart...May be last years Indians were not considering Pakistani roots as Pakistani it is added feature since 2017 ?? you tell me bhai.

Nothing more terrible than Mumbai or Pathankot and he still got picked.He is Saffer or all practical purposes but he has done nothing in his 3 years in IPL.Nothing.And his performances againist spin novices NZ will hardly atttract any attention in India.

Guptill didnt get picked in round one.Was ignored in IPL for years.Why?He cant play spin..Dynamicsof IPL are very different.

Nothing more terrible than Mumbai or Pathankot and he still got picked.He is Saffer or all practical purposes but he has done nothing in his 3 years in IPL.Nothing.And his performances againist spin novices NZ will hardly atttract any attention in India.

Guptill didnt get picked in round one.Was ignored in IPL for years.Why?He cant play spin..Dynamicsof IPL are very different.

"Bad say badnam bura" his performance could be the reason for his drop, but understanding Indian sentiments in last years you cannot simply rule out other non sporting reasons. For me it is absolutely impossible to belief he is not picked due to sporting reasons.

I think India need to make some examples in coming days for me to change the perception about them.

"Bad say badnam bura" his performance could be the reason for his drop, but understanding Indian sentiments in last years you cannot simply rule out other non sporting reasons. For me it is absolutely impossible to belief he is not picked due to sporting reasons.

I think India need to make some examples in coming days for me to change the perception about them.

what they may be?

It wouldn't be so baffling if you considered Tahir's IPL performances. Maybe franchises were fed up of him being rubbish year after year.

Btw, as pointed out above, Usman Khwaza has been retained. So, it wouldn't make you look bad if you accepted some well made points above your rather weak theory.

Baby steps dear lets start with baby steps...like retaining Khwaja step in the right direction....Than we already know Khwaja is as Australian as Shane Warne.

Khawaja is Aussie and Tahir isnt Saffer?

If you ask me if i had to choose between them i think Khawaja is more Pakistani.

Khawaja is Aussie and Tahir isnt Saffer?

If you ask me if i had to choose between them i think Khawaja is more Pakistani.

Khwaja went to Aussieland as a Kid if I am not wrong and Tahir played most of his cricket in Pakistan in fact I guess he played for Pakistan A team or something.

Baby steps dear lets start with baby steps...like retaining Khwaja step in the right direction....Than we already know Khwaja is as Australian as Shane Warne.

Are we still going about your beard based theory? :p

It wouldn't be so baffling if you considered Tahir's IPL performances. Maybe franchises were fed up of him being rubbish year after year.

Btw, as pointed out above, Usman Khwaza has been retained. So, it wouldn't make you look bad if you accepted some well made points above your rather weak theory.

Read conversation between me and Joshilla will help you understand my points.

Thank you.

Khwaja went to Aussieland as a Kid if I am not wrong and Tahir played most of his cricket in Pakistan in fact I guess he played for Pakistan A team or something.

Baal ki Khaal nikaal raahe hai aap. :sanga

From the gist of your conversations with other posters: Tahir should be picked despite his bad performances, simply for being a Muslim and a Pakistani. His pathetic record in India and against India should not be considered. Just the length of his beard. Cool story bro!!

Back