New Zealand [273/8] beat India [251] to win 2nd ODI by 22 runs; Win series 2-0 [One match to go]

I repeat my question again. When was the last time Rohit and Dhawan survived when ball moved like this? Both Rohit and Dhawan failed against the likes of Lakmal ( that too in India!) when they moved the ball. Everybody and their dog knows our LOI openers don't play moving ball well no matter whoever is doing it.

That's where Rahul (as opener) was essential for some of these crucial matches (e.g., Australia Test series at home). It looks all good when Rohit/Dhawan toy the bowlers on flat pitches and score 300+ runs for fun, but we often go missing in these crucial matches where proper quality opener is needed. Rahul might have lost that quality after he lost his technique, but persisting with him as opener can do well do both him & team and he could regain that technique back! He could do better than Rohit/Dhawan in understanding a tricky surface and bat accordingly! Usually such targets on such pitches are chased easily when one of the opener holds his end and bats almost through! Indian management & fans get carried away about their dominance at home and flat pitches, but such crucial matches on tough pitches will often keep them biting! Also bowlers are not in form & even fielding not up to standards which didn't help the matters! Time to look for other spin options... (like Gowtham Krishnappa...)

I think this is the best time Rahul has to be given a run as opener in all formats and see how it goes... This will help matters in all formats... But I don't see the management doing it...

Back