New Zealand v Pakistan | 1st Test | Christchurch | Nov 17-21, 2016 | Pre-Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
Greener wicket expected for Black Caps test against Pakistan​

The Black Caps can expect a familiar wicket to greet them when they face Pakistan in the first test in Christchurch on Thursday.

Hagley Oval groundsman Rupert Bool expects the wicket to be slightly green come the first ball.

Bool says with temperatures not reaching their peak yet there'll be a touch of grass which is consistent with New Zealand conditions at this time of year.

Rain is forecast for the next couple of days and could disrupt proceedings on Thursday.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11748056

If the preparation was perfect for the England tour, this has been the opposite with our only practice match rained off and an earthquake.

Don't mind if we go back to 6 batsmen-4 bowler strategy for this tour. The reason why I was vocal about 5th bowler in England was because of how long the tour was and how England's batsmen went to town as soon as our four frontline bowlers tired.

This is a short two Test series and the matches might not even go to 5 days if the pitches are as green as predicted. In hot Australian conditions however, it'll be a must.

XI: Azhar, Aslam, Shafiq, Younis, Misbah, Babar, Sarfraz, Amir, Yasir, Sohail, Rahat.

Just my thoughts really as with the earthquake and the aftershocks etc; they NZC should've looked to have moved the first test to somewhere else especially as the players need to be preparing on the field etc;

XI: Aslam, Azhar, Shafiq, Younus, Misbah, Rizwan, Sarfraz, Sohail, Amir, Yasir, Rahat

Have class Wednesday night 6-8 p.m. :facepalm:

Babar is going to replace Nawaz for sure and I think that will be the only change.

Looks like Sharjeel won't be playing. He should just go fishing. :yk3

With pitches expected to be green and Pakistan with no preparation, if NZ win the toss do you reckon we may see a sub 100 score?

Im going to this match guys. Weather looking awful for first day at least though.

if its a green pitch, misbah will bowl first and i have a feeling amir will wreck things apart

Babar in for Nawaz would be the change in batting, Amir, Rahat and Sohail should be the quicks.

Greener wicket expected for first test
http://m.nzherald.co.nz/cricket/news/article.cfm?c_id=29&objectid=11748056

The Black Caps can expect a familiar wicket to greet them when they face Pakistan in the first test in Christchurch on Thursday.

Hagley Oval groundsman Rupert Bool expects the wicket to be slightly green come the first ball.

Bool says with temperatures not reaching their peak yet there'll be a touch of grass which is consistent with New Zealand conditions at this time of year.

Rain is forecast for the next couple of days and could disrupt proceedings on Thursday.

Cold weather, green wicket, no practice match... not ideal prep for pakistan but i think we are good enough to adjust to conditions still and we wont lose this series. The normal 6-1-4 combo should be picked with the 3rd seamer option been only real question on who plays along side Amir and Wahab.

Pak Team practicing ahead of first Test

Attachments

• 2016-11-15-PHOTO-00012548.jpg
    2016-11-15-PHOTO-00012548.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 802
  • 2016-11-15-PHOTO-00012545.jpg
    2016-11-15-PHOTO-00012545.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 803
  • 2016-11-15-PHOTO-00012546.jpg
    2016-11-15-PHOTO-00012546.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 799
  • 2016-11-15-PHOTO-00012547.jpg
    2016-11-15-PHOTO-00012547.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 801
Last edited by a moderator:
Cold weather, green wicket, no practice match... not ideal prep for pakistan but i think we are good enough to adjust to conditions still and we wont lose this series. The normal 6-1-4 combo should be picked with the 3rd seamer option been only real question on who plays along side Amir and Wahab.
Considering it's a green track, I would go with Rahat. Sohail "Huff and Puff" Khan isn't going to cut it considering the bowlers will have to bowl long spells on day four and five.

Considering it's a green track, I would go with Rahat. Sohail "Huff and Puff" Khan isn't going to cut it considering the bowlers will have to bowl long spells on day four and five.

A green track usually gives assistance early on but once sun comes out the wickets tend to become flat and good for batting so the toss will be hugely crucial in these conditions. Sohail khans fitness is not something that we can be dependent on, but Rahats waywardness and in ability to use the new ball well does not really make him much of a better candidate either.

He's still better than Wahab wicketless Riaz. Hasan Ali should have been picked looked mighty impressive.

He's still better than Wahab wicketless Riaz. Hasan Ali should have been picked looked mighty impressive.

Wahab has done well before in new zealand and helped us win a test last time, Also i can see him running though kiwis line up again on this tour. He should be picked for the 1st test.

A green track usually gives assistance early on but once sun comes out the wickets tend to become flat and good for batting so the toss will be hugely crucial in these conditions. Sohail khans fitness is not something that we can be dependent on, but Rahats waywardness and in ability to use the new ball well does not really make him much of a better candidate either.
He bowled well against the West Indies in the only opportunity he got. Wasn't as wayward as he was in England.

How exactly is Wahab wicket less?

Hassan needs to add another 3-5 K's. He is currently too slow to trouble a batsman in test cricket on a flat track.

Sohail and Wahab are not comparable because Sohail is a new ball bowler and Wahab is a 1st change bowler. Very different roles.

Hassan Ali relies on variation and not traditional swing and seam so is not suited for tests.

How exactly is Wahab wicket less?

Hassan needs to add another 3-5 K's. He is currently too slow to trouble a batsman in test cricket on a flat track.

Hasan and Rahat bowl at a similar pace usually, mid to high 130s on average.

Hasan looks to be very skilled.

Sohail and Wahab are not comparable because Sohail is a new ball bowler and Wahab is a 1st change bowler. Very different roles.

Hassan Ali relies on variation and not traditional swing and seam so is not suited for tests.

How did you come to that conclusion? Have you ever seen him bowling with a red ball?

Hope the weather is good, been waiting far too long for these overseas tours

Pakistan make up for lost time with intense session
http://tribune.com.pk/story/1232182/pakistan-make-lost-time-intense-session/

Following a relentless spell of rain which washed out all three days of the practice match in Nelson and then a horrifying earthquake which rattled New Zealand, Pakistan can now finally shift their focus back on cricket as they prepare for the first Test against the hosts, which commences from tomorrow in Christchurch.

With their trip from Nelson to Christchurch having been delayed due to the earthquake, Pakistan’s practice session on Monday was cancelled. However, the players resumed training yesterday and spent five hours in action at the Hagley Oval.

“It was a great session and the team made the best of it,” Pakistan team manager Wasim Bari told The Express Tribune from Christchurch. “The team underwent extensive training for five hours which included practicing in the nets in addition to various fielding and bowling exercises.”

He further added, “Following the drills, the coach and captain also held a meeting with players to motivate them for the opening Test. After a couple of scary days, the focus has shifted back to cricket.”

New Zealand pacer Tim Southee, who has not played since the match against South Africa in August due to an ankle injury, is hoping to have a positive impact on his return.

The 27-year-old hasn’t enjoyed a good run in 2016, taking only 14 wickets in six matches at an average of 46.14. However, he is eyeing wickets on familiar conditions in the two-match series against Pakistan.

“I haven’t played a lot over the last 12 months,” said Southee, according to stuff.co.nz. “I’ve had a few injuries but it’s nice to put those injuries behind me and look forward to a big summer.”

Pakistan make up for lost time with intense session
http://tribune.com.pk/story/1232182/pakistan-make-lost-time-intense-session/

Following a relentless spell of rain which washed out all three days of the practice match in Nelson and then a horrifying earthquake which rattled New Zealand, Pakistan can now finally shift their focus back on cricket as they prepare for the first Test against the hosts, which commences from tomorrow in Christchurch.

With their trip from Nelson to Christchurch having been delayed due to the earthquake, Pakistan’s practice session on Monday was cancelled. However, the players resumed training yesterday and spent five hours in action at the Hagley Oval.

“It was a great session and the team made the best of it,” Pakistan team manager Wasim Bari told The Express Tribune from Christchurch. “The team underwent extensive training for five hours which included practicing in the nets in addition to various fielding and bowling exercises.”

He further added, “Following the drills, the coach and captain also held a meeting with players to motivate them for the opening Test. After a couple of scary days, the focus has shifted back to cricket.”

New Zealand pacer Tim Southee, who has not played since the match against South Africa in August due to an ankle injury, is hoping to have a positive impact on his return.

The 27-year-old hasn’t enjoyed a good run in 2016, taking only 14 wickets in six matches at an average of 46.14. However, he is eyeing wickets on familiar conditions in the two-match series against Pakistan.

“I haven’t played a lot over the last 12 months,” said Southee, according to stuff.co.nz. “I’ve had a few injuries but it’s nice to put those injuries behind me and look forward to a big summer.”
This is a bad joke.

5 hours including fielding drills is enough to replace 2 or more practice matches?

This is why no tour should EVER have just one scheduled practice match. It rains!

Pakistan prepared for tests despite quakes

They may be on edge but Pakistan haven't let earthquake fears disrupt their preparations ahead of the first cricket test against the Black Caps in Christchurch.

Pakistan were in Nelson when the initial seven point five magnitude quake struck in Cheviot, and have been in Christchurch since Monday ahead of tomorrow's match.

With several aftershocks continuing to hit the region, Pakistan batsman Younis Khan says the only thing they can control is their cricketing performance.

"It's still there, especially in the night when it shakes a little bit you wake like that, but this is nature. You can't do things with nature."

Khan said despite zero game time they're well prepared for tomorrow's test in other ways.

"It's not about practicing and it's not about the conditions, if you feel your mind is there and you prepare for things certainly the success can come to you."

The Black Caps are drawing confidence from having home advantage.

Bowler Tim Southee said they're excited to be playing in Christchurch and looking forward to a grassy wicket.

"We had two poor tests against Australia at the back end of last summer, but outside of that I don't think we lost a test in New Zealand for a couple of years, so we know what works in these conditions."

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/sport-news/cricket/pakistan-prepared-for-tests-despite-quakes/

Pakistan doing homework on new faces

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11748836

Pakistan have done their homework on some unfamiliar faces ahead of the first cricket test against the Black Caps starting in Christchurch tomorrow.

New Zealand's test squad for the two match series includes one test Black Cap Todd Astle and new faces Colin de Grandhomme and Jeet Raval.

Pakistan batsman Younis Khan says with technology in this day and age they're well equipped to comprehensively scout players.

Khan says they everything available such as Google and video so they're well prepared.

Whoever wins the toss will win the game. Stupid, unfair but true.
The pitch will seam around a lot on the first day then become a road.

Pakistan should definatly select Sohail as he is perfect for these conditions, I think Wahab will struggle unless he bowls at full pace because NZ is weak against real pace. Also expect Amir to struggle because even if it does seam around he will only get it to seam into the right handers because of his seam position, I would have Iman Khan and Sohail opening with Amir 3rd seamer

Hope NZ drops Southee and plays Henry who has more potential and could be one of the best fast bowlers in world cricket.
Boult, Henry, Wagner and Astle + some 130kph pies from Neesham

Looking forward to Wagner vs Misbah, Wagner is gunna bowl bouncers every ball looking forward to see how Misbah responds. If Pakistan are to win I expect Misbah and Younis will score big, also Sarfraz needs to convert run a ball 40's into 75+

Where can i watch the match live in india?? Star cricket or ten ??? Pls let me know

Babar over rizwan is a no brainer... Also the wicket will help the bowlers early on until it drys out and then its very hard to take wickets on this surface so pakistan must bat and bowl well 1st inns and we cant afford to have a slow start to the match.

How hard is it to get a response? Can someone pls tell me who would be broadcasting it in india?

Despite all the green grass on wicket i expect the wicket once its settled down to be a really good one to bat one, so getting through early stages of the game unscathed will be crucial.

Yeah i know that. That thread had been too active these days which is why i thought of dropping the question here on this thread sir

Sami Aslam and Asad need to lift there games here. Among bowlers Aamir needs to show he is more than just a good steady bowler.

Can some gentleman plz tell me which channel will cover this match in india? I have some free time on my hands and i can't afford to miss this contest..

Definitely a bowl first pitch. Amir would be licking his lips looking at that strip.

Sony Six is usually busy with their TNA useless stuff. Their schedule doesnt have the series in line. Too bad.

Seems like a rainy day according to the forecast. Hope no play gets rained off.

My Playing XI:

Sami
Babar
Azhar
YK
Misbah *
Shafiq
Sarfraz +
Yasir
Rahat
Wahab
Sohail

My Playing XI:

Sami
Babar
Azhar
YK
Misbah *
Shafiq
Sarfraz +
Yasir
Rahat
Wahab
Sohail

Why no Amir?

If anything, you should drop Wahab. His style of bowling is not suited for Green Tracks. Wahab bowls short most of the times and can give away valuable runs to Kiwis.

Amir will keep it full and will use the conditions to its fullest. Amir is made for these kinds of tracks.

Why no Amir?

If anything, you should drop Wahab. His style of bowling is not suited for Green Tracks. Wahab bowls short most of the times and can give away valuable runs to Kiwis.

Amir will keep it full and will use the conditions to its fullest. Amir is made for these kinds of tracks.

Wahab is your go to bowler, the X factor. He was brilliant against WI in UAE. He will click here as well.

I have opted for Rahat over Amir, because the former out bowled him in UAE.

While one right handed fast bowler is a must, so opted for Sohail Khan, just because of his recent match practice compared to Imran Khan, otherwise would have gone with Imran Khan.

My Eleven and batting numbers esp tail :

1. Sami
2. Azhar
3. Asad
4. Younis
5. Misbah
6. Babar
7. Sarfraz
8. Amir
9. Sohail
10. Yasir
11. Wahab/Rahat

Heavy rain expected for the first day in patches so may as well have a wash out on Day 1.

As for the picture of the pitch above, Boult, Southee and Henry would be licking their hands to get that red cherry in their hands first especially with the overcast conditions to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back