Pakistan reach 328/4 at stumps on Day 1 of the 1st Test against England

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1728259117209.png

Less than two years ago, England defeated Pakistan by 26 runs in the last Test played at the Multan Cricket Stadium. While it was the narrowest margin of defeat in the series, it dealt a psychological blow from which Pakistan has struggled to recover.

A lot has changed since then. England have adjusted their ultra-aggressive approach to Test cricket following a 4-1 thrashing in India earlier this year. Meanwhile, Pakistan have a new captain and coaching staff after a series of shake-ups in the Pakistan Cricket Board.

However, uncertainty remains about the type of pitch Pakistan will prepare and which style of play best suits their current resources.

The hosts come into this series after their most humiliating Test defeat, having lost five consecutive Tests. Of their last seven Tests at home, five have ended in defeat. Despite this poor run, Pakistan made few efforts to reverse the trend. During the break, the Test players participated in a domestic one-day tournament, with their only red-ball practice coming during a five-day pre-series camp in Multan.

Following their disastrous series in India, England have made some changes with an eye on the 2025 Ashes. They’ve arrived in Pakistan with a completely revamped and inexperienced fast-bowling attack. Their regular captain is unavailable, and James Anderson’s role as a fast-bowling mentor continues to evolve. Even their spin-bowling unit, led by Jack Leach, is relatively inexperienced, with Shoaib Bashir and Rehan Ahmed having played just nine and four Tests, respectively.

Multan is set to swelter throughout the first Test, with the hottest day expected to be the opener, where temperatures could reach 38°C. For the rest of the match, temperatures will remain in the mid-30s. After Saturday's training session, the ground staff shaved the grass but kept the 22-yard strip covered throughout Sunday morning to maintain the desired moisture levels. How the pitch will play is anyone's guess, but it’s expected to offer early assistance to seamers, flatten out in the middle, and provide turn for spinners as the game progresses.

Teams:

Pakistan
(Playing XI): Saim Ayub, Abdullah Shafique, Shan Masood(c), Babar Azam, Saud Shakeel, Mohammad Rizwan(w), Agha Salman, Aamer Jamal, Shaheen Afridi, Naseem Shah, Abrar Ahmed

England (Playing XI): Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Ollie Pope(c), Joe Root, Harry Brook, Jamie Smith(w), Chris Woakes, Gus Atkinson, Brydon Carse, Jack Leach, Shoaib Bashir

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

IMG_8488.jpeg

Speaks a lot about Babar Azam with 100 plus inns to score only 2700 runs only the avg is 27 for a no.4. and it’s also one of the main reasons that Pak are losing test matches even against lower ranked teams.

Just subscribed to Fancode website for the entire Test series at 49 INR. Can't believe it's so cheap. No channel in India is broadcasting the series on TV in India.

Hope to enjoy good cricket.

Just subscribed to Fancode website for the entire Test series at 49 INR. Can't believe it's so cheap. No channel in India is broadcasting the series on TV in India.

Fancode pricing tiers are really attractive. I have seen several good West Indies matches via it

Have a good feeling that this is going to be a competitive match. Hope Shaheen and Naseem are fit enough to bowl multiple spells at pace.

They have ideal support bowlers in Aamer and Agha to hold the rate in check with dry bowling.

Pak tail also looks solid after long with Aamer and Shaheen at #8 and #9. Time for the batters to set the tone and have a big first inns against new look Eng attack

Pakistan vs England, 1st Test​

Pakistan have won the toss and have opted to bat

Teams:

Pakistan
(Playing XI): Saim Ayub, Abdullah Shafique, Shan Masood(c), Babar Azam, Saud Shakeel, Mohammad Rizwan(w), Agha Salman, Aamer Jamal, Shaheen Afridi, Naseem Shah, Abrar Ahmed

England (Playing XI): Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Ollie Pope(c), Joe Root, Harry Brook, Jamie Smith(w), Chris Woakes, Gus Atkinson, Brydon Carse, Jack Leach, Shoaib Bashir

Huge advantage to Pakistan batting first. Multan is a definite bat first pitch.

Did not get it.report says pitch is green but both captains wanted to bat.so it's a grass which dies in 1 hr ?seems both are confident of other teams bowling as trash

I use VPN. Pay like 10 bucks a month. Dirt cheap. Can watch any streams now live.

Even for udemy or courser courses. Got like 100 dollar courses for 5 bucks lmao
Put my VPN address Mumbai India.

Have a good feeling that this is going to be a competitive match. Hope Shaheen and Naseem are fit enough to bowl multiple spells at pace.

They have ideal support bowlers in Aamer and Agha to hold the rate in check with dry bowling.

Pak tail also looks solid after long with Aamer and Shaheen at #8 and #9. Time for the batters to set the tone and have a big first inns against new look Eng attack
I want to see pace and bounce.

I expect to see shaheen and naseem firing. They need to bowl with intensity. I want to see 15 to 20 overs from them at 135 to 145 pace and bounce.

Pakistan got this if they come out firing.

Only mohammad rizwan makes the team on merit.
Others are just here to fill the spot.
Pathetic team

I have hopes from Naseem here. He can bowl at good pace 137-145.
Not long ago he was the fastest pacer in the Asia in tests in terms of average speed.
Hopefully he does well.

Finally, PCB has come to its senses and hope Abrar Ahmed remains a mystery for English batters

Brydon Carse has been presented his Test cap by Ben Stokes, his Durham teammate, let's just hope he isn't a surprise package for Pakistan's batters.

I'm unsure if Aamer Jamal will perform up to the mark while hiding his injury

Shan Masood said, on the eve of the toss:

"We asked for a good cricket wicket."

"Looking at a pitch with a noticeably green tine."

"Like you see with both XIs, everyone's stacked in the batting department. We want to change things, we want to get back on track - we're looking to do so with this group of players."

Ollie Pope: "The conditions are probably the hottest I've played in! We would have had a bat too - but there's a little bit of moisture in the pitch so we're hoping to make the most of it first."

Im not sure if the toss mattered much either way. This just looks flat lol. Batsman’s pitch for 5 days.

Can’t wait for Imam to be back in the team in place of him

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol saim is another one from overhyped factory.
Pathetic to get out like that.

I was posting in the wrong thread. Anyway pitch is a good batting wicket. Strangled down to a straight delivery.

Can’t wait for Imam to be back in the team in place of him
Why was he removed? He sucks in LOIs. But in Pakistan low bounce conditions that guy has the temperament to build innings right

Last edited by a moderator:
New record just been set by this pair for consecutive Test opening partnerships under ten.

7 single figure partnerships in a row.

Imam is much better than this talunt

At least he is a FTB

How's stat?!
published at 06:15 British Summer Time
06:15 BST

Andy Zaltzman
Statistician on Test Match Special

This is the seventh time this pair - Saim Ayub and Abdullah Shafique - have opened for Pakistan and they've yet to post a 10-run partnership.

If they fail to do so today, it will set a new all-time Test record for an opening pair of consecutive partnerships in single figures

Get Leach on against Abdullah Technique. He can't play left arm spin.

That frontfoot just goes no where. Always stuck in the crease allows the bowlers to experiment with their lengths and amount of movement

I expect pakistan to win the series 2 -1
Every chance they'll lose 3-0 just look at their faces they are mentally shot.
But if they somehow manage to win 1 they'll become a completely different side.

Waking up 5:30 am only to watch Abdullah put me to sleep
Bro I don't get it?

It's a road pitch? The same as last series? Do they not realise that England will butcher this side into oblivion?

Shafique playing out of the crease already that suggests it's a slow surface

I guess we will have 3 Tests where Ramiz will build a narrative against Masood and promote Rizwan as the next captain

This is such a fraudulent pitch. Everyone snd their mama is going to score big here and then @gazza619 will feature a new narrative before England belts a 700. Unbelievable.
Absolute paint dry player

Same line of Misbah, Azhar Ali,

One thing is sure. Pope is no Stokes. Stokes would have made million different field changes already.

Back