Pakistan vs England ~ First Test ~ Lords ~ Day One [Update Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
CricVet said:
Dani is turning, and turning big :)

Watch Bothams article on "how we made a pitch suitable for Pakistani bowlers blah blah"...

Botham trying to make some new fans? He says Afridi is under bowled. Shortly after, a new Botham fan club is started by Raz and Hafridi :p

the_game said:
You are too big a crap for my liking. Good bye.

we do have 5 injuries, our top 3 bowlers. so you dont expect us to bowl teams out by Lunch.

Last edited:
Cook on 22, hope he doesnt get a big score after being dropped on 0.

Naved said:
Who are you anyway? I don't remember ever having a conversation with you?

One of the many sick of your negativity. You are not too much of a likeable person, so take my word when I call you a bit of a shmuck. Go into your hole now.

First session is pretty much even stevens Pakistan has given away way too many runs for my liking but then again a good come back none the less.

Good comeback by Pak thanks to reliable Razzaq. Hope to see more of him bowling after lunch in tandem with Danish to create some pressure.

Naved said:
Who are you anyway? I don't remember ever having a conversation with you?

Acha Gussa Shussa thooko and take a break you guys - bethay bethay larr partay hain log yahan par!

Even contest so far! Eng nose dived from the great start while Razzaq, Gullu, and Dani bounced Pak back in the game. Good cricket!

Shayan said:
Cook on 22, hope he doesnt get a big score after being dropped on 0.

If it wasn't for Farhat's butterfingers then Eng could really be on the edge here. Then again the amount of spin out there tday is a cause for English optimism because Pak will have to bat last against Monty, when the pitch is a lot more deteroirated. One would assume.

Pakistan's session but lets see how many wkts England have lost when the 200 comes up (IF the 200 comes up :p ) and then we will have an idea of where the innings is headed.

pretty even session for both team. but had that dolly been taken Pakisitan would've edged this session. stupid farhat who came in the way of Inzi and tried to be SuperMan

when's the last time somebody answered naved's post, rather than just attack him?

yeeeeaaa its 5 o clock....... i am leaving work now n heading home to watch live action...
thanks for updates and commentary everyone!!!!!

MIG said:
Acha Gussa Shussa thooko and take a break you guys - bethay bethay larr partay hain log yahan par!

Fair enough miggy, but I haven't really said anything.....honestly I don't even know who this the_game is.....

Razzaq can take 5 or more wickets in this innings who thinks the same here ?

If we can bowl out England today for less than 270 we have good chance.

z10 said:
when's the last time somebody answered naved's post, rather than just attack him?

What's there to answer? The guy shows up when Pakistan is down and out, and is pessimistic just for the heck of it. A little more objectivity would probably give him credibility, but currently he is just a pain to pay attention to.

man theres a lot of nonsense in this thread so far considering its 118-3, whats the problem?

sami is the problem, hasn't joined the party ofcourse

sunny92 said:
yeeeeaaa its 5 o clock....... i am leaving work now n heading home to watch live action...
thanks for updates and commentary everyone!!!!!
hmm must b living in Cali?

Naved,
I don't know why some people are attacking your posts? your posts are fine and your entitled to your views just like everyone. Just ignore those attacking you. Come on guys can you stop being unfair and attacking to Naveed.

the_game said:
What's there to answer? The guy shows up when Pakistan is down and out, and is pessimistic just for the heck of it. A little more objectivity would probably give him credibility, but currently he is just a pain to pay attention to.

Ok, well don't pay attention to it then! That's what I normally do, and that probably explains why I haven't noticed your posts before!

And Pakistan are not down and out either!!

so what does Naved think of Inzi's captaicy and Razzak's bowling so far? lets see if the_game has a point or not (which i think he does!)

yar pak started well guys... be patient conditions favouring us.. we'll be doing good in this test match. and razzaq......... go on go on.

Hopefully Pak can get maybe 3 or 4 more in the next session and we'll have them in deep trouble!

Good session for Pak - well played Lads. :)

shoooooo...........people as Schiller Babu says, we have a slight advantage - England have lost 3 wickets before lunch - that usually is a healthy sign for the opposition.

Thing with Pakistani Bhaiyo ( myself included and not Nauman since he lives in Islamabad) is that khel maidan may hai aur apas may stands mai lar partay hain!

Dekho khail ko and enjoy it!

Hopefully we can keep taking wickets regularly after lunch. Inshallah. Go Pakistan go.!
It's about having faith and belief in the boys and offcourse in Allah Almighty helping us to win. Inshallah!

761 posts before lunch on the first day!!!

:O :O

Easatheman said:
761 posts before lunch on the first day!!!

:O :O
That has nothing to do with the fact that the thread was started 12 hours befor ethe 1st ball was bowled :D

dani at one end and rotate the seamers at the other should be the plan after lunch.

I hope Pakistan are watching the last test from 2005. 8 wickets fell in 1 session :)

Pretty decent comeback by the boys after a good start by England. Pietersen's (dodgy ) Lbw
seemed to be the turning point this morning, he was looking in very good touch.

Gul and especially Razzi bowling well. Sami, well..less said the better there, lets hope he comes good by the end of the match.( Although to be fair he did get the ball in the right areas a few times this morning.)

What's really interesting is the amount of turn Danesh is getting, and it's just the 1st day.

Oxy™ said:
That has nothing to do with the fact that the thread was started 12 hours befor ethe 1st ball was bowled :D

13 hours - get your facts right! :p

Why not Danish and Afridi - total spin attack ? go on Inzi be adventerous ...

Pak on top after 1st session. Lets hope Bob can say the right things at lunch and get another 3-4 wkts in the post-lunch session.

Bulletin after lunch on 1st day:

Pakistan took the honours on the first morning at Lord's as the opening Test began in frenzied style. Andrew Strauss, leading England for the first time in a Test, and Marcus Trescothick began with a flurry of boundaries as Mohammad Sami and Umar Gul struggled to control the swing. But the innings was given a very different complexion when Trescothick wafted loosely and Abdul Razzaq nabbed a brace, including the vital scalp of Kevin Pietersen.

Trescothick was into his stride immediately with a spanking cover drive off Sami in the opening over, having just glided him to third man to open his account. Strauss was less fluent initially, taking a painful blow in a delicate spot, but got his score ticking over with a sweet swivel pull off Gul. Inzamam-ul-Haq was quickly into ball-chasing mode and it cost him when Strauss sent a flashing edge straight through where third slip had just been moved from.

He then moved through the gears, picking off the regular leg-stump deliveries from both bowlers and also piercing the covers with precision and timing. However, Inzamam persevered with Gul - his pace options are rather thin without Shoaib Akhtar, Rana Naved-ul-Hasan and Mohammad Asif - and the decision paid off.

After one huge appeal was turned down against Trescothick - the ball brushed the trousers and it was an excellent decision from Steve Bucknor - Gul got his man. Trescothick flayed at a wide ball and Kamran Akmal, who had not enjoyed a happy morning behind the stumps with the ball swinging round corners, gloved it cleanly. Then, suddenly, Pakistan's morning was looking much more rosy when Razzaq - bowling a far better line than his two colleagues - nipped a ball back into Strauss and the momentum had quickly changed.

From 60 without loss, England were two down on the same score and it should have been three. Imran Farhat dived across in front of Inzamam at first slip and grassed a regulation edge off Alastair Cook, who hadn't opened his account, but Pakistan didn't have to wait long to get over that disappointment.

Pietersen had treated the Lord's crowd to a series of crunching shots straight and through the covers but, in a rare moment of deciding not to use his bat, padded up to Razzaq. At full speed it was close enough for the decision to go Razzaq's way and Pakistan were jubilant. However, on viewing the replays the ball would have passed over the offstump, but Pietersen is unlikely to be padding up to much in the near future. Cook and Paul Collingwood began the rebuilding process with some neat strokeplay, although Danish Kaneria found some prodigious turn in his first spell to indicate that even if England see off the seamers it won't get any easier.

How they were out

England

Marcus Trescothick c Akmal b Gul 16 (60 for 1)
Wafted at a wide ball, thick edge

Andrew Strauss lbw b Razzaq 30 (60 for 2)
Pitched in line, nipped back, hitting top of middle although hint of an edge

Kevin Pietersen lbw b Razzaq 21 (88 for 3)
No shot, hit top of pad, going over offstump

Andrew McGlashan is editorial assistant of Cricinfo

Oxy™ said:
but it was locked by MIG, Merc opened it about 1 hour before the start.

Hmm, no Pakistani fans in crowd.

You UKian dorks, get out of the house and get there. Charge down the gate if you must, to get in, if its full!

easa does that all the time for some reason, making a thread for a pak match 12 hours before

good comeback by pak, but sami's lack of pace is worrying, cause pace was all he had.

My prediction

eng 265 ao after 78 overs.

13:19 13Jul2006 RTRS-Cricket-Pakistan's reserve pace attack rattles England

By John Mehaffey
LONDON, July 13 (Reuters) - Pakistan's second-string pace attack reduced England to 118 for three at lunch on the first day of the first test at Lord's on Thursday after the hosts had reached 60 for no wicket with a flurry of early boundaries.
With Shoaib Akhtar (ankle), Rana Naved-ul-Hasan (groin) and Mohammad Asif (elbow) all ruled out through injury, Pakistan regrouped splendidly following a bright start by the England openers on a dull, overcast morning.
Andrew Strauss made the ideal start in his first test in charge of the national team by winning the toss and electing to bat. He then put on 52 from 51 balls with Marcus Trescothick against some wayward bowling from Mohammad Sami and Umar Gul.
Trescothick got off the mark with an involuntary boundary to third man as he tried to withdraw his bat in Sami's opening over then drove the next ball handsomely through extra cover for another four.
He then became becalmed, however, and after umpire Steve Bucknor had rejected an appeal from Gul for caught behind after the ball had brushed the batsman's shirt he pushed tamely at a full delivery two balls later to present wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal with a simple catch.
A further six balls later, with no addition to the score, Strauss missed a straight delivery from Abdul Razzaq and was rapped on the pads directly in line with the stumps. Strauss, who had survived a hard chance high to Imran Farhat's left at second slip off Sami when he was on seven, had hit five boundaries in his 30.
Pakistan should have had a third wicket with the score still on 60 when Alastair Cook edged Gul to first slip. Inzamam-ul-Haq was poised for the catch when, to his horror, Farhat threw himself in front of his captain and spilled a straightforward chance.
Kevin Pietersen unfurled some imperious drives to revive the flagging England innings but he then badly misjudged a straight delivery from the persevering Razzaq, bowling with accuracy and some late movement from the Nursery End, after scoring 21 from only 26 deliveries.
Pietersen lifted his bat high but was struck in front of the stumps and Simon Taufel gave the decision in Pakistan's favour.
Swing bowler Matthew Hoggard, England's most experienced bowler, was passed fit after requiring six stitches in his right hand after he was spiked by a team mate last weekend.
There was further bad news for Pakistan, who lost Asif on Wednesday evening when he failed to respond to a cortisone injection.
Opening batsman and off spinner Shoaib Malik was ruled out with a similar injury and the prolific Younis Khan pulled out with a knee injury.
((Editing by Clare Fallon, London Sports Desk; Reuters Messaging: clare.fallon.reuters.com@reuters.net; +44 20 7542 7933))
Keywords: SPORT CRICKET PAKISTAN

For Related News, Double Click on one of these codes:
[SPO] [PSC] [RNP] [DNP] [PSP] [EMK] [PK] [GB] [CRIC] [EUROPE] [WEU] [LEN] [RTRS]
Thursday, 13 July 2006 13:19:34RTRS [nL13838493] {EN**ENDS

Where are Raz, DM? We need someone to start the regular Afridi thread!

I booked this series onlie for $17.. worked out £9.50 so i can watch it on the comp
when ever im at work too.. now that i just got home gonna sit back and watch it on
sky sports !!

Cricinfo says pak fielders spilled too many chances. if thats the case then damn! How many chances exactly did they miss?

We dropped one and one was almost touched but was not a drop catch.

But for the dropped catches and Sami a decent session for Pak. We need to play attritional cricket and bore them out now. If get them under 350 we would have done well.

Attacking field, two slips, a silly midoff.

444 and a noball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back