[PICTURES] A stunner in Indian elections, for Narendra Modi and BJP its just like chickens came home to roost

What was the major reason behind BJP's underwhelming performance in 2024 elections?

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Stunner in India elections, for Narendra Modi and BJP its just like chickens come home to roost

From 400 Par to 300 b na Hwe par what has went wrong for BJP.

BJP and NDA alliance has been stunned by Congress and INDIA alliance. And following are the major reasons behind this unexpected turn of events.

1. CAA

2. Abrogation of article 370 ( and deteriorating conditions in J&K)

3. Farmers Protest ( A front against Sikh farmers)

4. Saffron movement and continuous humiliation of people of non hindu caste and religions.

5. The verbal venom against minorities in election campaign as terms like 'invaders', 'baby boomer gangs', 'love Jihad' and the mujra remarks for catering to their demands.

The above incidents coupled with no special economic growth led to the downfall of BJP and its alliance in recent election.

So the thing is that instead of appealling voters from across the political spectrum, BJP and alliance concentrated their efforts in appeasing Hindu voters only. And as a result the chicken have come to roost due to their own flawed campaign.

So a pertinent question arises is this the last consecutive term for BJP & alliance? And who are to blame for these upsets in elections? 🤔

Reality
o6cESoI.jpeg

And Godi media Exit polls
czEFHc4.jpeg

Stunner in India elections, for Narendra Modi and BJP its just like chickens come home to roost

BJP and NDA alliance has been stunned by Congress and INDIA alliance. And following are the major reasons behind this unexpected turn of events.

1. CAA

4. Saffron movement and continuous humiliation of people of non hindu caste and religions.

5. The verbal venom against minorities in election campaign as terms like 'invaders', 'baby boomer gangs', 'love Jihad' and the mujra remarks for catering to their demands.

The above incidents coupled with no special economic growth led to the downfall of BJP and its alliance in recent election.

So the thing is that instead of appealling voters from across the political spectrum, BJP and alliance concentrated their efforts in appeasing Hindu voters only. And as a result the chicken have come to roost due to their own flawed campaign.

So a pertinent question arises is this the last consecutive term for BJP & alliance? And who are to blame for these upsets in elections? 🤔

Actually none of those reasons are behind the BJPs loss of majority. They will still form the government and despite having to make some concessions to some allies, they will still be a force to reckon with.
Where did you get that from? I hope you didn't write it yourself. It's pure diatribe.

Actually none of those reasons are behind the BJPs loss of majority. They will still form the government and despite having to make some concessions to some allies, they will still be a force to reckon with.
Where did you get that from? I hope you didn't write it yourself. It's pure diatribe.
OK bro, I genuinely want to know the reason behind their downfall. Could you explain as BJP couldn't amass the seats as predicted by @Rajdeep bro and every exit poll.

Would love to know.

How many seats needed to form a government and how many for a 2/3 majority?

If the opposition parties have enough seats, would they be open to form a coalition to beat Modi?

Another upset​

====
As expected TN will never vote for BJP.

BJP numbers slide in Rajasthan, Minister Kirodi Lal Meena indicates he will keep word on resigning​

As the counting of votes progressed on June 4, he posted the famous Ramcharitramanas lines in Hindi on X, "Raghukul Reeti Sada Chali Aai, Pran Jaai Par Bachan Na Jaai" — essentially saying he'd keep his word at all costs.

He said that the PM had given him a list of seven seats (in eastern Rajasthan) on which he worked hard.

"Before PM came to Dausa, I had said that if the (Dausa) seat is not won, I will leave the post of minister. Later the PM spoke to me separately and gave me a list of 7 seats. I worked hard on 11 seats, more on 7. If the party loses even one seat out of 7, I will leave the post of minister and serve water here," he told reporters on June 3.

Source: The Hindu

OK bro, I genuinely want to know the reason behind their downfall. Could you explain as BJP couldn't amass the seats as predicted by @Rajdeep bro and every exit poll.

Would love to know.
Its a combination of many factors. Anti incumbency, high unemployment resulting in frustration among young voters, freebie offers from the opposition, price rise, arrogance among some BJP leaders taking the voters for granted and above all, the general tendency among many sections of the Indian electorate to 'give others a chance'. Not many people realise how much of an impact the last one has.
CAA, 370, Pakistan etc don't affect most Indian voters and the religious and caste based hatred issues have always existed in India.

Another upset​

====

BJP numbers slide in Rajasthan, Minister Kirodi Lal Meena indicates he will keep word on resigning​

As the counting of votes progressed on June 4, he posted the famous Ramcharitramanas lines in Hindi on X, "Raghukul Reeti Sada Chali Aai, Pran Jaai Par Bachan Na Jaai" — essentially saying he'd keep his word at all costs.

He said that the PM had given him a list of seven seats (in eastern Rajasthan) on which he worked hard.

"Before PM came to Dausa, I had said that if the (Dausa) seat is not won, I will leave the post of minister. Later the PM spoke to me separately and gave me a list of 7 seats. I worked hard on 11 seats, more on 7. If the party loses even one seat out of 7, I will leave the post of minister and serve water here," he told reporters on June 3.

Rajasthan usually voted that way..from what I can remember.. which is good for them I suppose.

Meaning they keep changing

How many seats needed to form a government and how many for a 2/3 majority?

If the opposition parties have enough seats, would they be open to form a coalition to beat Modi?
To form a government a simple majority is enough. But to form an effective government that can pass laws and legislate effectively, a 2/3 majority with 272 seats is needed.
A party that dies not have 272 MPs if its own will form coalitions to get to that number.

To form a government a simple majority is enough. But to form an effective government that can pass laws and legislate effectively, a 2/3 majority with 272 seats is needed.
A party that dies not have 272 MPs if its own will form coalitions to get to that number.
272 seats is not a 2/3 majority in India. It's a simple majority. It's perfectly possible to govern, pass laws and legislate effectively with a simple majority. If fact, very few governments in Indian history have enjoyed a 2/3 majority in the parliament...probably not since the '84 elections.

Another upset​

====

This was my leader but chose the wrong party and we Voted for Congress .Dausa is my constituency.

This was my leader but chose the wrong party and we Voted for Congress .Dausa is my constituency.
Glad people punish parties for wrong candidate selections. But tbh its a defeat of BJP's divisive politics

1. CAA

All your reasons is not why the lose the too many seats.

Local people dont care about CAA or anything else's

Removel of article 370 was celebrated all across India .

They lost seats becouse of their Arrogance .

Obviously arrogance was a reason but don't forget the anti muslim campaign of BJP because i think it squarely helped Congress alliance.

What i mean is that this was a big reason too

They lost because they forgot who actually votes for them and who have never voted for them.

Democracy in India is thriving. All the pundits and articles parroting about democracy in danger got a tight slap.

BJP supporters are distraught even when they are winning
Congress supporters are happy even when they are losing.

Only in India I guess.

Obviously arrogance was a reason but don't forget the anti muslim campaign of BJP because i think it squarely helped Congress alliance.

The problem with that analysis is that the Muslims were never going to vote for a Muslim baiter like Modi and his party anyway. So it's not like his anti-muslim campaign cost him any votes there. In my opinion, a better way to read that would be that it didn't win him any votes. The 'Bhakts' who fall for that nonsense were going to vote for him anyway.

A lot of the public has more important issues to care about. That's where the BJP couldn't appeal.

Glad people punish parties for wrong candidate selections. But tbh its a defeat of BJP's divisive politics

BJP didn't do counter polarization thinking their developmental work will win votes.

If BJP had stuck to its core hindutva politics of taking all hindu castes along, they would have won a bigger majority.

I think not. Congress always had Muslims vote. The freebie schemes really resonated with the lower and middle class of the country which actually helped the alliance this time.

Another reason why BJP lost some share of voters is they didn't let out freebies and didn't tinker much with caste politics.

The problem with that analysis is that the Muslims were never going to vote for a Muslim baiter like Modi and his party anyway. So it's not like his anti-muslim campaign cost him any votes there. In my opinion, a better way to read that would be that it didn't win him any votes. The 'Bhakts' who fall for that nonsense were going to vote for him anyway.

A lot of the public has more important issues to care about. That's where the BJP couldn't appeal.

There was hardly any counter polarization by BJP this time. Very little in Bihar and thats all.

BJP gave a lot of schemes to Muslims in UP but little to Dalits. Result is Dalit votes that had come from bsp to bjp in 2022 went to sp.

Muslims, except the few percentage of Ahmaddiyas and Shias won't vote BJP.

Time BJP realises that nothing has changed in society's voting pattern since 2014.

Wow this is an upset. Pollsters were wrong.

In the UK there is a thing where was a thing where people were scared to say they voted for Tories and so the Tories would understand poll.

Perhaps something similar happened in India

Another reason why BJP lost some share of voters is they didn't let out freebies and didn't tinker much with caste politics.

Correct.

BJP didn't do anything to win Dalit votes.

Modi must realise who votes for him and who will vote for him if he does something for them and who will never vote for him.

Interesting stat from Twitter about BJP's vote share.

2014 : 282 seats with 31% vote share
2019 : 303 seats with 37% vote share
2024 : 245 seats with 39% vote share

Less voter turnaround by BJP aligned voters this time also another reason.

Some bhakts saying INDIA won these many seats due to them offering freebies to people.

But then who are those 80 crore labharthis who are getting 5 KGs of grains every month for last 5 years. That doesn't count as a freebie?

Make up your mind, bhakts.

Correct.

BJP didn't do anything to win Dalit votes.

Modi must realise who votes for him and who will vote for him if he does something for them and who will never vote for him.
Seems like it's all Muslims fault lol

Some bhakts saying INDIA won these many seats due to them offering freebies to people.

But then who are those 80 crore labharthis who are getting 5 KGs of grains every month for last 5 years. That doesn't count as a freebie?

Make up your mind, bhakts.
Defeat or victory..... it's always Muslims fault.

Defeat or victory..... it's always Muslims fault.
Some are saying sanghis should return to their core agenda of hardcore Hinduism as if Muslims were not persecuted under this regime during last decade.

A friendly reminder from 2019 for some friends here
===
These numbers contrast sharply with 2019, when the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) won 353 seats, 303 of which were bagged by the BJP alone.

Al Jazeera

So whats the scoop on him ? Some of these internal battles within a state is sometimes for an outside or someone from a different state to understand effectively

This is just a hiccup for Shri Jumlendra Modi. :inti

modi-modi-fall.gif
Still the PM . Unlike pappu who is walking around as if he won the elections and Congress alone got 200 seats LOL ! Pappu the great lol ! And this is the problem with COng. They will be a much better opposition without Pappu at the helm. He takes credit when Cong wins but when they lose he doesnt take the blane as here:

:D

That the BJP has a big setback and the doomsday scenarios are silly. You have to read the results in detail. Their vote share is very high at 38% - that should tell you something. Alliance workouts and allocation should have been more strategic. Something like these very minor things cause numbers to shift. A vote share 38% in such a diverse country like Ind which has so many parties is very good. What it shows is that BJP will be the dominant party for years to come and Cong can never get to 272 by itself.

So whats the scoop on him ? Some of these internal battles within a state is sometimes for an outside or someone from a different state to understand effectively
I don't care about favourite leaders until they work for comman people's .

BJP was not doing great works for rural areas and farmers are facing a lots of problems .

congress was / will always helpfull for farmers and rural development .

BJP fought elections for fake speech , religious activities instead works for poor peoples .

Indian economy is booming but this mostly benifits for rich people's but what about poor peoples??

Yes Modi done some great job when it's comes to national security and Foreign policy but this only can't feed poor peoples .

I don't care about favourite leaders until they work for comman people's .

BJP was not doing great works for rural areas and farmers are facing a lots of problems .

congress was / will always helpfull for farmers and rural development .

BJP fought elections for fake speech , religious activities instead works for poor peoples .

Indian economy is booming but this mostly benifits for rich people's but what about poor peoples??

Yes Modi done some great job when it's comes to national security and Foreign policy but this only can't feed poor peoples .

As someone mentioned here earlier Modi has been providing free ration to 80cr+ citizens under PM Garib Kalyan Yojana. People are moving to middle class from lower middle class. India lifted I think some 300 million people out of poverty.

A part from PM Kisan Yojana nothing clicked wrt to farmers and farm laws backfired bigtime.

BJP didn't do counter polarization thinking their developmental work will win votes.

If BJP had stuck to its core hindutva politics of taking all hindu castes along, they would have won a bigger majority.
Lol.. Even in this forum we have some 6 threads on Modi's anti muslim and Pak slander and you saying he didn't resort to Hindutva tactics 😂

1. CAA

You have 0 understanding of how Indian voters vote. Which is understandable since you are not Indian.

None of the reasons you mentioned will be in top 10 agenda for most voters to cast their vote on.

You have 0 understanding of how Indian voters vote. Which is understandable since you are not Indian.

None of the reasons you mentioned will be in top 10 agenda for most voters to cast their vote on.
OK bro, could be so. Infact let's do a poll on it here.

Yes this is i agree as Pakistan friends really don't know how we voted for whom .

I have spent some time reading India media and watching reactions from pundits.

NGL this feels like a bit of a defeat for Modi.

Yes he will form government but this is a setback.

Will we see a more measured and conciliatory approach going forward? Realistically it's his last election. Even though he claims God sent him he isn't going to live forever, and the BJP is propelled by his image. Now is the time when the next people in line will start to stake their claims for the future.

As expected TN will never vote for BJP.
Still 10% vote share.

BJP in this term has to do Hindutva + money guarantee schemes for poor + development.

This result is very close to what I had estimated. That it is always going to be a BJP govt, only question was whether it will be Modi or non Modi BJP govt. The exit polls had me doubt myself.

This is a good result for BJP, especially after 10 years ( congress were decimated after 10 years), but now Modi has to do a bit of Vajpayee to manage coalition.

May be sad for die hard BJP fans, but good for Dharmic supporters who only need a non anti hindu govt, which is what we are going to get again.

Will we see a more measured and conciliatory approach going forward? Realistically it's his last election. Even though he claims God sent him he isn't going to live forever, and the BJP is propelled by his image. Now is the time when the next people in line will start to stake their claims for the future.
This is feel like defeat because of their arrogance , attitude and overconfident. Slogans like " Abki bar 400 par " .they take People's for granted.

This will be BJP's 3rd term. There will be severe anti-incumbency wave.

These are healthy results in a democracy. But either way I wish a single party gets the required majority to form government. I hate coalition governments which cannot implement any of their promises in their manifestos.

I hope the cries of rigged Electronic voting machines can be put to rest.

It's definitely a setback but only relative as most of the Modi fans here will tell you.

A lot depends on how he and the poll analysts read the setback.

- There'll be the hardcore @cricketjoshila types who'll call for a doubling down on what's brought BJP so far - consolidate the base...which to be fair is decently sized @25-30% of the voting population, throw a few more caste based freebies in, align with a few blowing in the wind regional parties come election time and keep scraping through a majority. if they win out, you might see a hardening of the approach - more anti-muslim propaganda, a couple more temples brought down, controversial laws etc.

- Then there's be the more back to the centre types - 'We lost because we got sidetracked into the social nonsense which is not appealing to the rural voter. Let's get back to a hardcore development agenda with a tinge of saffron thrown in - essentially lip service to the common stuff that whips up the Hindutva voter. It's not like they're going to vote for anyone else anyway. We can fool them with some slogans come election time, add the rural voters with focus on industry and jobs and voila - supermajority.' If this side wins out, you'll see the more conciliatory approach - not towards Pakistan by any means (that wins no votes) but toward minorities in the country.

We'll have to wait and see how things go.

It's definitely a setback but only relative as most of the Modi fans here will tell you.

- There'll be the hardcore @cricketjoshila types who'll call for a doubling down on what's brought BJP so far - consolidate the base...which to be fair is decently sized @25-30% of the voting population, throw a few more caste based freebies in, align with a few blowing in the wind regional parties come election time and keep scraping through a majority. if they win out, you might see a hardening of the approach - more anti-muslim propaganda, a couple more temples brought down, controversial laws etc.

- Then there's be the more back to the centre types - 'We lost because we got sidetracked into the social nonsense which is not appealing to the rural voter. Let's get back to a hardcore development agenda with a tinge of saffron thrown in - essentially lip service to the common stuff that whips up the Hindutva voter. It's not like they're going to vote for anyone else anyway. We can fool them with some slogans come election time, add the rural voters with focus on industry and jobs and voila - supermajority.' If this side wins out, you'll see the more conciliatory approach - not towards Pakistan by any means (that wins no votes) but toward minorities in the country.

I should add that to some extent a more toned down approach will be forced by the demands of coalition politics. The likes of Chandrababu Naidu and Nitish Yadav (key partners to reach the majority) will not stand for single minded focus on divisive politics...their core constituencies will at best get zero benefit from it and at worst may be antagonised by it.

1. CAA

It looks like BJP failed to consolidate Hindu vote. It seems BJP also fielded wrong candidates.

Congress managed to break the Hindu vote based on caste, language lines while consolidating Muslim vote.

Jats voted against BJP as expected due to farmers, wrestlers and the bias against that terrible sports guy who was Rajput.

I think Jats and Marathis voting against BJP is the main reason, also Bengalis are back to them backing terrible leaders with minimal development.

I should add that to some extent a more toned down approach will be forced by the demands of coalition politics. The likes of Chandrababu Naidu and Nitish Yadav (key partners to reach the majority) will not stand for single minded focus on divisive politics...their core constituencies will at best get zero benefit from it and at worst may be antagonised by it.
I can see Nitish Kumar switching sides if INDIA alliance promises him nice place in their cabinet.

Look at the number of votes Ajay Rai got against Modi .
View attachment 144220
Ajay Rai was a member of BJP youth wing, he became a congress member in 2012 or something and had left BJP after he was denied a Lok Sabha ticket..
He is one of the dal badlus..and also pretty anti-Muslim..but does a good job of hiding, tbf his brother was killed by a Muslim.

I can see Nitish Kumar switching sides if INDIA alliance promises him nice place in their cabinet.
The only place he would care for is PMship, which INDI can offer him, but Nitish won'y be enough. They need CBN as well, but CBN would like to be undisputed king of AP and settle his dues with Jagan instead of being a puppet PM.

It is still going to be Modi as PM.

It really depends on the next BJP leader, whoever that may be

Its more likely ( based on an outsiders perspective) that they double down and say our wings were clipped last time but given the chance we would do XYZ if not shackled by a coalition.

I can see Nitish Kumar switching sides if INDIA alliance promises him nice place in their cab

Its more likely ( based on an outsiders perspective) that they double down and say our wings were clipped last time but given the chance we would do XYZ if not shackled by a coalition.
No Yogi for sure after this year's awful results for them

The only place he would care for is PMship, which INDI can offer him, but Nitish won'y be enough. They need CBN as well, but CBN would like to be undisputed king of AP and settle his dues with Jagan instead of being a puppet PM.

It is still going to be Modi as PM.
Very difficult for INDIA alliance to pull their act together in forming the government. Too many parties with too many agendas and not a single party with enough seats to command lions share of the cabinet.

Chandrababu Naidu won because of his alliance with BJP and Actor Pawan Kalyan's party. He would not have been able to pull it by his party alone. I don't see him switching sides. He is smart enough and knows that this will be his last term as CM as his health is not that good. CBN needs BJP and Pawan Kalyan.

So NDA has enough seats to form a government, unless the INDIA alliance gets seats from the independents?

That's admirable especially considering the odds he was up against. Entire Varanasi district machinery was on duty to make sure feku wins by more than 5L votes.
Are you saying the EVM's are rigged and Congress Voters were driven away from polling stations?

So NDA has enough seats to form a government, unless the INDIA alliance gets seats from the independents?
As it stands NDA will have enough. But horse trading can happen and loyalties can shift if it gets too close. It is part and parcel of democracy.

Yeah it's a strong possibility. I can't deny that.

That said, Modi's not going anywhere in the near future and it's foolish to try and predict too far ahead especially in chaotic Indian politics.

It's perfectly possible there are splits in the party once Modi's done. Right now every regional satrap asks how high when Modi says jump but will they be as accommodative when asked to step aside for a regional partner needed at the central level by say Gadkari?

Perfect Result: BJP won a significant enough majority
opposition has enough traction for a fight which saves democracy
Election proves that EVM’s are not fixed and Modi is not the “establishment/dictator” like everyone thought he was. He is just a strong/popular leader within the framework of democracy. Thats about it.
BJP losing in Ayodhya shows that Hindu vote is not consolidated on religious lines but more on development work. What a blessed democracy we have.
Some people who I don’t like regardless of party affiliation both in and out of BJP lost. So happy there
Also BJP/Modi thought it will be a walkover, now they can retrospect whey they lost some ground.

Overall great election and outstanding win for Indian democracy.

Perfect Result: BJP won a significant enough majority
opposition has enough traction for a fight which saves democracy
Election proves that EVM’s are not fixed and Modi is not the “establishment/dictator” like everyone thought he was. He is just a strong/popular leader within the framework of democracy. Thats about it.
BJP losing in Ayodhya shows that Hindu vote is not consolidated on religious lines but more on development work. What a blessed democracy we have.
Some people who I don’t like regardless of party affiliation both in and out of BJP lost. So happy there
Also BJP/Modi thought it will be a walkover, now they can retrospect whey they lost some ground.

Overall great election and outstanding win for Indian democracy.
Yes as one Pakistani poster said...we are watching with a tinge of jealousy.

Overall your system is a winner.

As it stands NDA will have enough. But horse trading can happen and loyalties can shift if it gets too close. It is part and parcel of democracy.
If it had been Pak and you were the anti establishment party, then game would have been over for you.

Back