[PICTURES/VIDS] Pakistan name an 18-player squad for 3-match T20I series against New Zealand

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
- Hussain Talat and Sarfaraz Ahmed only additions to the side that beat Zimbabwe 3-0 last month

- Shaheens’ squad for New Zealand ‘A’ four-dayer from 17 December in Whangarei also confirmed

Christchurch, 6 December 2020:

Pakistan today announced an 18-player men’s national squad for the three T20Is against New Zealand to be played on 18, 20 and 22 December.

The squad was finalised by head coach Misbah-ul-Haq and captain Babar Azam in consultation with Pakistan Shaheens coach Ijaz Ahmed, who also locked his 16-player squad for the four-day match against New Zealand ‘A’ to be played in Whangarei from 17 December.

Both Pakistan and Pakistan Shaheens squads are scheduled to depart for Queenstown on Tuesday, 8 December, after completing their 14-day isolation period in Christchurch. In Queenstown, both the sides will stay in different hotels and train at different times and according to their match requirements.

On 14 December, Shaheens will travel to Whangarei, while Pakistan will head to Auckland on 15 December for the opening match of the three-match series.

For the New Zealand T20Is, Pakistan have recalled Hussain Talat and Sarfaraz Ahmed in the only changes from the side that defeated Zimbabwe 3-0 in November.

Hussain, who has replaced Pakistan Shaheens’ Zafar Gohar, played his last T20I against South Africa at Centurion in February 2019, while Sarfaraz Ahmed has reclaimed his spot from Rohail Nazir, who will captain Pakistan Shaheens against New Zealand ‘A’.

Fakhar Zaman had played in all the three T20Is against Zimbabwe but missed the New Zealand tour after failing to recover in time due to high fever.

Following the conclusion of the T20I series, Imad Wasim will depart for Australia on 23 December to play in Australia’s Big Bash League, while Mohammad Hafeez will leave for Pakistan on 24 December.

Head coach Misbah-ul-Haq: “I want to compliment my players and the management team for their patience, sacrifices and the hardships they have endured to ensure they not only lead the safe resumption of international cricket during the Covid-19 pandemic since the series in England but also try to give their best every time they step on the field.

“Top professional athletes require a certain environment to prepare so that they can perform at the minimum expected levels every time they represent their countries. While we completely respect and understand the New Zealand Government Laws, which have been put in place for the health and safety of their public, there is no denying the fact that the implementation of certain regulations has affected our athletes, both mentally and physically prior to an international series.

“Nonetheless, when we will leave the isolation facility in the next day or two, we will try to put all this behind us and focus on the challenge of facing New Zealand in both the formats. New Zealand are a formidable side in their conditions and their recent performances against the West Indies confirm why they are ranked second in Tests and just behind us in T20Is in sixth position.

“For the T20Is, we have retained the squad that has been playing together for some time. The squad comprises young, talented and high-performing players, who are determined and eager to make names for themselves and further cement their places in the side.

“New Zealand boasts some of the best cricket facilities, which are backed by supportive and appreciative crowds. I want my players to make optimum use of the upcoming opportunities by expressing themselves by playing fearlessly every time they take the field. All the players have our backing and support, and all they now need to show is how much believe, faith and trust they have in their own capabilities.”

Meanwhile, the Pakistan Test side players who will not be involved in the T20Is, will remain with Pakistan Shaheens to prepare for the two-Test series, which commences at the Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui, on 26 December.

As part of their preparation for the four-day match against New Zealand A, which begins on 17 December, Shaheens will also play intra-squad practice matches in Queenstown.

Pakistan Shaheens coach Ijaz Ahmed: “Apart from providing youngsters the opportunity to get some experience and exposure, the objective of Shaheens was to help the red-ball Pakistan men’s national team players prepare for the Tests by featuring in the pre-series matches against New Zealand ‘A’. Despite the disappointment of losing a four-day match, I am pleased that some of the top Pakistan Test players will be representing Shaheens against New Zealand ‘A’ in Whangarei, which will enhance the importance and profile of the match.

“The quarantine period was a tough one, something none of us had experienced before, but instead of reflecting on the tough times, we should now start focusing and thinking about playing and performing in international cricket because that is what we have come here for.

“We need to avail and cash in on every opportunity to hone our skills and try to improve as professional cricketers. There is no better place than New Zealand to achieve these career objectives as the country has some amazing and cricket-friendly playing conditions.”

Pakistan squad for New Zealand T20Is:

Babar Azam (captain), Shadab Khan (vice-captain), Abdullah Shafique, Faheem Ashraf, Haider Ali, Haris Rauf, Hussain Talat, Iftikhar Ahmed, Imad Wasim, Khushdil Shah, Mohammad Hafeez, Mohammad Hasnain, Mohammad Musa Khan, Mohammad Rizwan, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Usman Qadir and Wahab Riaz.

Management team: Mansoor Rana (Manager), Misbah-ul-Haq (head coach), Shahid Aslam (assistant coach), Waqar Younis (bowling coach), Younis Khan (batting coach), Abdul Majeed (fielding coach), Cliffe Deacon (physiotherapist), Ibrahim Badees (team and social media manager), Malang Ali (team masseur), Dr Sohail Saleem (team doctor), Talha Ejaz Butt (analyst), Col (retd) Usman Anwari (security manager) and Yasir Malik (strength & training coach).

Pakistan Shaheens for New Zealand ‘A’ four-day match:

Rohail Nazir (captain), Abid Ali, Amad Butt, Azhar Ali, Danish Aziz, Fawad Alam, Haris Sohail, Imam-ul-Haq, Imran Butt, Mohammad Abbas, Naseem Shah, Shan Masood, Sohail Khan, Yasir Shah, Zafar Gohar and Zeeshan Malik.

Management team: Ijaz Ahmed (manager and head coach), Mohtashim Rasheed (assistant manager & fielding coach), Rao Iftikhar (bowling coach), Hafiz Naeem (physiotherapist), Saboor Ahmed (trainer), Usman Hashmi (analyst) and Mohammad Imran Ali (masseur).

Pakistan v New Zealand T20Is:

18 Dec – 1st T20I, Eden Park, Auckland
20 Dec – 2nd T20I, Seddon Park, Hamilton
22 Dec – 3rd T20I, McLean Park, Napier

As I expected they are using Shaheen games as test matches warm up quite dissapointing really.

As I expected they are using Shaheen games as test matches warm up quite dissapointing really.

I’m sorry but your priorities are misplaced. Our main team has no practice. If Azhar Ali gets shown up in these Shaheens games by Imran Butt, I’ll take that as a plus.

If he does well, at least it will help him find much-needed form and time in the middle for the actual Test matches.

It’s clear they’ve just split the squad into two, one for T20 players and the other for longer format players, whether Shaheens or not. So it’s possible Azhar doesn’t play at all.

Misbah will never groom youngsters, disappointing selections.

One can give him a benifit of doubt here since the covid fiasco has ensured the the team is desperately short on match practice.

I’m sorry but your priorities are misplaced. Our main team has no practice. If Azhar Ali gets shown up in these Shaheens games by Imran Butt, I’ll take that as a plus.

If he does well, at least it will help him find much-needed form and time in the middle for the actual Test matches.

It’s clear they’ve just split the squad into two, one for T20 players and the other for longer format players, whether Shaheens or not. So it’s possible Azhar doesn’t play at all.

Not really. He is right. This is a Shaheen's tour, it should be for them. That's the whole point of this, to give some experience to the upcoming players in foreign conditions.

Our main team having no practice was something that should have been known, before the sqauds were announced. If these games were to be used as practice, there was no need to take the Shaheen squad with them. Plus they have already sacrificed one game in the name of this practice.

Playing XI for the T20Is based on the 18 members listed:

Babar Azam (captain), Shadab Khan (vice-captain), Abdullah Shafique, Faheem Ashraf, Haider Ali, Haris Rauf, Hussain Talat, Iftikhar Ahmed, Imad Wasim, Khushdil Shah, Mohammad Hafeez, Mohammad Hasnain, Mohammad Musa Khan, Mohammad Rizwan, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Usman Qadir and Wahab Riaz.

1. Abdullah Shafique
2. Babar Azam (c)
3. Haider Ali
4. Mohammad Hafeez
5. Shadab Khan (vc)
6. Khushdil Shah
7. Imad Wasim
8. Mohammad Rizwan (wk)
9. Wahab Riaz
10. Shaheen Afridi
11. Mohammad Hasnain

I can also see Rizwan being replaced by Sarfaraz.

Danish with an average of 19 in FC (the lad's not even playing red ball cricket) gets to be part of a 4 day game while Hussain Talat with a recent 250+ score in FC gets to be part of the T20 squad.

This is beyond stupid.

Not really. He is right. This is a Shaheen's tour, it should be for them. That's the whole point of this, to give some experience to the upcoming players in foreign conditions.

Our main team having no practice was something that should have been known, before the sqauds were announced. If these games were to be used as practice, there was no need to take the Shaheen squad with them. Plus they have already sacrificed one game in the name of this practice.

You misunderstood my point - how do you know Azhar will play these games? It’s clear that they’ve just split the squad into two - if Misbah had instead included Azhar in the T20I squad, people would be criticizing Misbah and calling for his head - is Azhar about to play for our T20 team?!

Take a look closely - it’s a separation into two groups based on long and short format. Likely Azhar will not play. And if he does, it will actually expose him - if Imran Butt scores 150 and Azhar gets a pair of scores 15 and then 20, it will only serve the interest of the team.

Look at how Australia does “bat-offs” such as the one between Pucovski and Burns.

Danish with an average of 19 in FC (the lad's not even playing red ball cricket) gets to be part of a 4 day game while Hussain Talat with a recent 250+ score in FC gets to be part of the T20 squad.

This is beyond stupid.

Exactly and Talat is not going to play in the T20s either. So he is warming the bench in that squad.

What's the point of having a squad of 18 for a T20 squad? I doubt they'll use any more than 14 players across the 3 games, even with any potential injuries. Someone like Hussain Talat should be playing a 4 day game for the Shaheens, since it's obvious he won't be getting a game here

You misunderstood my point - how do you know Azhar will play these games? It’s clear that they’ve just split the squad into two - if Misbah had instead included Azhar in the T20I squad, people would be criticizing Misbah and calling for his head - is Azhar about to play for our T20 team?!

Take a look closely - it’s a separation into two groups based on long and short format. Likely Azhar will not play. And if he does, it will actually expose him - if Imran Butt scores 150 and Azhar gets a pair of scores 15 and then 20, it will only serve the interest of the team.

Look at how Australia does “bat-offs” such as the one between Pucovski and Burns.

Because it's Misbah.

No one would have criticized Misbah if he could have just named the two squads from the get go separately. Failing that, here he could have just left those who clearly shouldn't be in the Shaheen team and don't make the T20 team either, out of both squads.

What is Danish Aziz doing in the A game squad if the splitting is based on the lines of tests vs T20.

Imran is an opener but I see your point. The issue is
that even if this was a play off, Imran is not going to displace Azhar, no matter what.

And Australia won't do a playoff with between a player at the end of his career and an upcoming player scoring runs in the domestic circuit. And certainly not by putting the player on an A tour. They would just drop the player if they were this uncertain about him.

Forget all that, my issue is on a more fundamental level. These are two different tours and one should have nothing to do with the other. The purpose of there being a Shaheen team is to give opportunities to upcoming players in foreign conditions. If Abid, Haris, Fawad, Azhar all end up playing this game what's the point of having a Shaheen's team?

So all tall talks by Wasim Khan and then we are playing 9 test match players against un-known NZ A team. Hopefully his contract will not be renewed. He may be lived long in UK but he has typical desi mentality of favoritism and nepotism.
Why they bother with Rohail as captain for Shaheen? Make Sarfraz captain

Still not sold on Talat as an international-level player. The memory of his meltdown against South Africa is still relatively fresh.

Same old story repeated again, in the end they allways fall back on 'senior' players. And this Shaheen squad is a joke. They simply is misleading people and instead just giving ample time for the Test players to adapt to the conditions.

So how will the next and upcoming players get experience in SENA conditions? Misbah looks like a good man, but when it comes to results he just cares about here and now and wants to improve his own stats as a coach/selector, not having any long term vision for the team.

Someone needs to ask wasim Khan why so much money was wasted in sending players for Shaheen matches when all they are is glorified warm ups for the test matches.

The likes of Talat, Ammad Butt, Abdullah should have been allowed to play domestic cricket rather then giving them paid holidays.

My post was actually about the Shaheen Squad.

Yeah but if Azhar isn’t in the “Shaheens” squad then he’d have to be in the T20I squad. That’s how they divisioned it. It’s not really Shaheens and main team, it’s long and short format.

Pakistan will whoop NZ in T20s... if India can win 5-0 then Pakistan team in T20 is good.
Hafeez and Babar and Haider will lead the way.

Still not sold on Talat as an international-level player. The memory of his meltdown against South Africa is still relatively fresh.

That was 2 years ago. Hopefully he would have improved by now but he did have a horror PSL 5.

This is beyond stupid.

I was thinking the same.

Hussain Talat is more suitable for longer formats but he will play t20s, whereas Dani Aziz isn't the part of t20s which is the only format he can play.

Talat is a good addition to the T20 squad, did really well in national T20 cup (Looks to have worked upon his game). Looking forward to see Amad Butt in the warm up match.

T20I

Haider Ali
Babar Azam (C)
Abdullah Shafique
Hafeez
Shadab Khan
Khushdil Shah
Imad Wasim
Rizwan (WK)
Wahab Riaz
Shaheen Shah
Haris Rauf/ Hasnain

Shaheens

Abid Ali/ Zeeshan Malik
Shan Masood
Imam
Azhar Ali
Haris Sohail
Rohail Nazir (C & WK)
Amad Butt
Zafar Gohar
Sohail Khan
Naseem Shah
Moh Abbas

Will Babar Azam play any four day game before 1st test?

Yes. Not sure if they will do 4 day or couple or 2 day matches but there would be inter squad match which has been scheduled instead of the first Shaheen’s 4day match.

Last edited:
So all tall talks by Wasim Khan and then we are playing 9 test match players against un-known NZ A team. Hopefully his contract will not be renewed. He may be lived long in UK but he has typical desi mentality of favoritism and nepotism.

Are you an idiot? Wasim khan isnt the selector nor the coach.

Make Sarfaraz captain? You must be having a laugh.

Yes. Not sure if they will do 4 day or couple or 2 day matches but there would be inter squad match which has been scheduled instead of the first Shaheen’s 4day match.

Thanks.

Basically I want him to focus more on test cricket.

In fact, I would like him to leave t20 captaincy after 2022 world cup.

Misbah's judgement is questionable when he's selecting Aziz for 4 day cricket and Talat for T20s.

These two players have ended up in the wrong squads.

Does Misbah even know how these players came into contention?

You say favoritism then immediately call for Sarfraz as Captain? Isn't that a bit Ironic? Anyway, Wasim Khan isn't making squads. Take a look at the domestic season and Administrative changes and you will know exactly why he is needed for another term.

Pakistan just lost an international to Zimbabwe. They will get whooped themselves, for certain.

Pakistan won very convincingly in the t20s. Don't confuse the formats. Hopefully, we give a good fight to NZ. NZ t20 team isn't the strongest anyway.

Pakistan just lost an international to Zimbabwe. They will get whooped themselves, for certain.

Even Eng lost an ODI match against Ireland just recently while India lost a T20 against Zim couple of years ago and drawn an ODI against Afghanistan. So its part of the game.

Though NZ would be a tough task for Pakistan surely, they did extremely well even with some of their fringe players against WI. Wont be surprised if they put forward a stronger team vs Pak.

Surprisingly no azam khan in the squad or hammad azam

And our bowling is that good we can leave out amir and shinwari

You say favoritism then immediately call for Sarfraz as Captain? Isn't that a bit Ironic? Anyway, Wasim Khan isn't making squads. Take a look at the domestic season and Administrative changes and you will know exactly why he is needed for another term.

I meant why they put Rohail as captain for Shaheen team when they put 9 senior players. 2-3 young players is just for eye wash. Shaeen team shouldn't be more than 2 senior players. Sarfraz shouldn't be in the squad.

Wasim Khan needs to work independently rather than bias by IK.

Good squads selected. People need to wake up and realise they won’t see a total youth team ever for pakistan.

The culture of seniority is still very kuch at the forefront of our culture.

People will sit back and use TTF to get short term results.

Name me any youngsters even in the PSL that have come out of nowhere.

Qalandar brought their player programme out fo desperation really when nothing was going their way, that’s about it tough. Three players to make their mark from there Sohail, Dilbar and Haris Rauf.

For 6 PSL seasons that’s far far to less imo,

Not saying any other team didn’t play youngster but none of them have brought any decent cricketers.

May be only Azam Khan impressed who has yet to be around Pakistan Colours. But being Moin Khan son he’s going to face a lot of Music from the media before we see him.

I meant why they put Rohail as captain for Shaheen team when they put 9 senior players. 2-3 young players is just for eye wash. Shaeen team shouldn't be more than 2 senior players. Sarfraz shouldn't be in the squad.

Wasim Khan needs to work independently rather than bias by IK.

Lol, make up your mind. Should Sarfraz not be in the team or should he be the Captain? Rohail has been groomed as captain since u19. As for bias by PM, The PM is Patron in chief of cricket and a former cricketing great. It would be impossible for anyone to work without input from the PM. If Wasim Khan goes then the next guy would do the same.

I think we can be very competitive with this team:

1. Babar Azam (c)
2. Abdullah Shafique
3. Haider Ali
4. Mohammed Hafeez
5. Shadab Khan
6. Khushdil Shah
7. Mohammed Rizwan (wk)
8. Imad Wasim
9. Haris Rauf
10. Shaheen Shah Afridi
11. Wahab Riaz

Babar, Shafique, Haider, Shadab, Khushdil, Shaheen, Haris all relatively young, all will be here to play the next few WC's for Pakistan.

I don't understand why the date of the first T20I can't be pushed back. England and South Africa ODI got delayed due to COVID, why can't we exercise such a procedure?

1. Babar Azam (c)
2. Abdullah Shafique
3. Haider Ali
4. Mohammed Hafeez
5. Shadab Khan
6. Khushdil Shah
7. Mohammed Rizwan (wk)
8. Imad Wasim
9. Haris Rauf
10. Shaheen Shah Afridi
11. Wahab Riaz

Babar, Shafique, Haider, Shadab, Khushdil, Shaheen, Haris all relatively young, all will be here to play the next few WC's for Pakistan.

I agree with all the parts of your team except for the inclusion of Rizwan. He has shown no batting ability lower down the order, and I'd happily take Sarfaraz over him. I'd take neither if we have Zeeshan Ashraf, but Sarfaraz > Rizwan in T20s. Also don't like batting Shadab at 5, he's not actually proven to be a lethal hitter of the ball. Even in PSL, he mostly dominated against spin, which will be a rarity in New Zealand. I'd much rather play Imad at 5 and push Shadab lower down the order at 8.

My squad would look something like this -

Babar Azam (c)
Haider Ali
Abdullah Shafiq
Mohammad Hafeez
Sarfaraz Ahmed
Khushdil Shah
Imad Wasim
Shadab Khan
Haris Rauf
Shaheen Shah Afridi
Wahab Riaz

The issue is that we have approximately 28 overs of bowling in this lineup, which is too much compromise on the batting. Should be maxed out at 24 and bring in an actual lower-order finisher, like Danish Aziz or someone from the next PSL.

We desperately need a no.7 hitter/finisher from the PSL. If Asif Ali were to perform at the international level as well as he does at the domestic level, we would not have this problem.

T20 squad looks decent but Pakistan will have to be at their best in NZ. They have struggled a lot here recently and its been a rough going for both the bowlers and batters in these conditions. I'll be interested to see how Abdullah and Haider handle themselves.

The squad doesn't really seem to have a 3rd opening option unless they go with Haider to open so barring injury or COVID, I am expecting Abdullah to get a shot at every game.

Lol, make up your mind. Should Sarfraz not be in the team or should he be the Captain? Rohail has been groomed as captain since u19. As for bias by PM, The PM is Patron in chief of cricket and a former cricketing great. It would be impossible for anyone to work without input from the PM. If Wasim Khan goes then the next guy would do the same.

Dude he was being sarcastic about sarfaraz being captain. He was making fun of the fact that there are 9 seniors in the yeam

That was 2 years ago. Hopefully he would have improved by now but he did have a horror PSL 5.

I would have let him prove himself with Pakistan A before getting a shot in the national side. Alot of these guys have been selected because of Domestic T20 Cup, which imo is not a good enough litmus test for selecting players for the national team.

Seems kinda strange to make Rohail Nazir captain with so many experienced, senior players in the A team. I would have gone with Shan Masood.

I would have let him prove himself with Pakistan A before getting a shot in the national side. Alot of these guys have been selected because of Domestic T20 Cup, which imo is not a good enough litmus test for selecting players for the national team.

Talat is a good allround talent. We have to do the best with what we have.
Talat has more potential to be a LOI player than a Test player. He can be a good no.5 in ODIs as he can strike around at 85+ while his bowling remains a work in progress.
I do hope though he gets a chance in t20is otherwise the tour would be a waste for him cause he is not getting any chance to break into Test XI

Lol, make up your mind. Should Sarfraz not be in the team or should he be the Captain. Rohail has been groomed as captain since u19. As for bias by PM, The PM is Patron in chief of cricket and a former cricketing great. It would be impossible for anyone to work without input from the PM. If Wasim Khan goes then the next guy would do the same.

Lol, make up your mind. Should Sarfraz not be in the team or should he be the Captain. Rohail has been groomed as captain since u19.
Bro, You misunderstood what I said. I said as a joke. I am saying Shaheen team should have all new players instead management put 9 senior players as a excuse of match practice so junior players will be missed out opportunities. They put Rohail, Zeeshan, Danish as eyewash.

As for bias by PM, The PM is Patron in chief of cricket and a former cricketing great. It would be impossible for anyone to work without input from the PM. If Wasim Khan goes then the next guy would do the same.
What I mean if we don't have honest selectors regardless how good the system is useless. players like Musa Ifikhar, Imran Khan Sr.,Shehzad... will keep getting selected while others will ignored for years. Wasim Khan shouldn't select people like Razzaq, Misbah, Waqar ... in the coaching setup. Because these people select players based on favoritism/

1. Babar Azam (c)
2. Abdullah Shafique
3. Haider Ali
4. Mohammed Hafeez
5. Shadab Khan
6. Khushdil Shah
7. Mohammed Rizwan (wk)
8. Imad Wasim
9. Haris Rauf
10. Shaheen Shah Afridi
11. Wahab Riaz

It's good, I'd like to see a dashing left hander fitted in at one of the opening slots though. Southpaw openers tend to be fast and alters the line for the bowler. But you can only work with what you got.

Lol, make up your mind. Should Sarfraz not be in the team or should he be the Captain. Rohail has been groomed as captain since u19.
Bro, You misunderstood what I said. I said as a joke. I am saying Shaheen team should have all new players instead management put 9 senior players as a excuse of match practice so junior players will be missed out opportunities. They put Rohail, Zeeshan, Danish as eyewash.

As for bias by PM, The PM is Patron in chief of cricket and a former cricketing great. It would be impossible for anyone to work without input from the PM. If Wasim Khan goes then the next guy would do the same.
What I mean if we don't have honest selectors regardless how good the system is useless. players like Musa Ifikhar, Imran Khan Sr.,Shehzad... will keep getting selected while others will ignored for years. Wasim Khan shouldn't select people like Razzaq, Misbah, Waqar ... in the coaching setup. Because these people select players based on favoritism/

Yeah and that is a serious issue. The selection policy needs to be transparent and consistent. I am now looking forward to the appointment of the new CS. Whether they would bring their own policy or would they be a fill-in for Misbah who takes instructions from elsewhere.

As for your comment about young players being in Shaheens. Who do you think in the touring party should have been part of Shaheen and in place of whom?

It's good, I'd like to see a dashing left hander fitted in at one of the opening slots though. Southpaw openers tend to be fast and alters the line for the bowler. But you can only work with what you got.

Zeeshan Ashraf - fixes the keeper problem too.

Yeah and that is a serious issue. The selection policy needs to be transparent and consistent. I am now looking forward to the appointment of the new CS. Whether they would bring their own policy or would they be a fill-in for Misbah who takes instructions from elsewhere.

As for your comment about young players being in Shaheens. Who do you think in the touring party should have been part of Shaheen and in place of whom?

They should play young promising players rather than Abid Ali, Azhar Ali, Fawad Alam, Haris Sohail, Imam-ul-Haq, Mohammad Abbas, Shan Masood, Sohail Khan and Yasir Shah.Why senior players will play as youngsters against some nobody youngsters from opposition?

They should play young promising players rather than Abid Ali, Azhar Ali, Fawad Alam, Haris Sohail, Imam-ul-Haq, Mohammad Abbas, Shan Masood, Sohail Khan and Yasir Shah.Why senior players will play as youngsters against some nobody youngsters from opposition?

Yeah but I asked you who are those youngsters in this touring party? You haven't named even 1 yet.

Yeah but I asked you who are those youngsters in this touring party? You haven't named even 1 yet.

Ohh!!!
Abdullah Shafique, Haider Ali, Khushdil Shah, Mohammad Hasnain, Rohail Nazir, Amad Butt, Danish Aziz, Imran Butt, Naseem Shah, Zafar Gohar and Zeeshan Malik.

Misbah will never groom youngsters, disappointing selections.

Errr.. what were your other expectations?

If Misbah is in charge of Shaheen team as well why PCB sent Ijaz Ahmed in NZ? Its utter dis-respect for Ijaz Ahmed.

Ohh!!!
Abdullah Shafique, Haider Ali, Khushdil Shah, Mohammad Hasnain, Rohail Nazir, Amad Butt, Danish Aziz, Imran Butt, Naseem Shah, Zafar Gohar and Zeeshan Malik.

Abdullah, Haidar, Khusdil, Hasnain are in the t20 squad and all of them will play. While the rest are a already in the Shaheen squad. So what exactly are you talking about?

1. Squad announced.

2. Was expecting someone to be unhappy and repeat some old rhetoric

3. Opened thread. Not disappointed. Rant and rhetoric about no youngsters. When 90% of the squad are actually youngsters.

4. Happy.

Abdullah, Haidar, Khusdil, Hasnain are in the t20 squad and all of them will play. While the rest are a already in the Shaheen squad. So what exactly are you talking about?

Still you don't get it? Why Azhar Ali, Yasir Shah will play in emerging team? Are they just started their career?
Will you play Azhar, Yasir. Sohail... in u23 team?

Excluding Shaheen and Wahab, this has to be the worst bowling attack Pakistan have gone on Tour with.

I reckon our bowling standards have fallen down to Afghanistan level.

This series for NZ is probably no different to the series against West Indies.

Still you don't get it? Why Azhar Ali, Yasir Shah will play in emerging team? Are they just started their career?

Man, you are impossible to talk to. Where else will the Azhar Alis and the Abid Alis go. They can either be in the t20 squad or 4-day squad? You would rather we play Abid Ali And Azhar in the t20s? We have a Test series with New Zealand and the team has zero match practice. These players need the game time or would you rather we get humiliated in Tests?

Yes, we touched on that before. Do you think he could be good enough for that slot?

I’m quite ambivalent really. The only options I realistically see are Zeeshan, Azam, and Rohail for the T20 position. Azam is clearly the highest in quality, but we have a separate problem for the opener position and Zeeshan can kill two birds with one stone.

Team 1:
1. Babar Azam (c)
2. Abdullah Shafique
3. Haider Ali
4. Mohammad Hafeez
5. Azam Khan (wk)
6. Khushdil Shah
7. Shadab Khan (vc)
8. Imad Wasim
9. Wahab Riaz
10. Shaheen Afridi
11. Hasnain/Rauf

Team 2
1. Babar Azam (c)
2. Zeeshan Ashraf (wk)
3. Haider Ali
4. Mohammad Hafeez
5. Iftikhar Ahmed
6. Khushdil Shah
7. Shadab Khan (vc)
8. Imad Wasim
9. Wahab Riaz
10. Shaheen Afridi
11. Hasnain/Rauf

These are the only 2 teams that seem realistic to me. I personally love the balance of the first one a lot, lot more, even if we’re lacking a left-hander in the top 5.

If we were to rank all the available openers to partner Babar on current form, it would be something like this:

1. Abdullah Shafique
2. Zeeshan Malik
3. Zeeshan Ashraf
4. Shan Masood
5. Imam ul Haq
6. Sharjeel Khan
7. Fakhar Zaman

None of the options are particularly appetizing, so we might as well give Shafique the run as opener with Azam Khan in the middle order.

To that end, Fakhar dropping out of the squad might be a blessing in disguise for everyone involved, since this New Zealand tour allows us to try out a much-needed new opener.

PSL 6 will also be crucial for deciding some of these things. It’s probably the most crucial PSL ever, as the talents that perform here will likely feed into the 2021, 2022, and 2023 world cups.

Zeeshan Ashraf - fixes the keeper problem too.

Yep, he sure does. Plus he's a better batsman than Rizwan for T20I in my opinion.

With Rizwan's spot gone for Zeeshan, we would be a much more competitive team with more destructive batting available. We do need someone to steady the innings, which will probably have to be Babar and Hafeez for the time being.

Also, I was wondering, wouldn't it be beneficial to get Khushdil Shah to stop bowling and also become a keeper. We'd be able to slot in another batsmen in place of Rizwan in ODI, where he is yet to make a very convincing case for selection.

I’m quite ambivalent really. The only options I realistically see are Zeeshan, Azam, and Rohail for the T20 position. Azam is clearly the highest in quality, but we have a separate problem for the opener position and Zeeshan can kill two birds with one stone.

Team 1:
1. Babar Azam (c)
2. Abdullah Shafique
3. Haider Ali
4. Mohammad Hafeez
5. Azam Khan (wk)
6. Khushdil Shah
7. Shadab Khan (vc)
8. Imad Wasim
9. Wahab Riaz
10. Shaheen Afridi
11. Hasnain/Rauf

Team 2
1. Babar Azam (c)
2. Zeeshan Ashraf (wk)
3. Haider Ali
4. Mohammad Hafeez
5. Iftikhar Ahmed
6. Khushdil Shah
7. Shadab Khan (vc)
8. Imad Wasim
9. Wahab Riaz
10. Shaheen Afridi
11. Hasnain/Rauf

These are the only 2 teams that seem realistic to me. I personally love the balance of the first one a lot, lot more, even if we’re lacking a left-hander in the top 5.

If we were to rank all the available openers to partner Babar on current form, it would be something like this:

1. Abdullah Shafique
2. Zeeshan Malik
3. Zeeshan Ashraf
4. Shan Masood
5. Imam ul Haq
6. Sharjeel Khan
7. Fakhar Zaman

None of the options are particularly appetizing, so we might as well give Shafique the run as opener with Azam Khan in the middle order.

To that end, Fakhar dropping out of the squad might be a blessing in disguise for everyone involved, since this New Zealand tour allows us to try out a much-needed new opener.

PSL 6 will also be crucial for deciding some of these things. It’s probably the most crucial PSL ever, as the talents that perform here will likely feed into the 2021, 2022, and 2023 world cups.

PSL 6 will essentially confirm if the selectors are putting faith in the right players. However, we desperately need a finisher/hitter, a genuine one. PSL 6 will be great if we find someone of that talent, and hopefully these players like Danish Aziz, Abdullah Shafique, etc. get picked and are given a chance to play.

The problem might be that more international players will take part of PSL, so teams might not necessarily buy more local players if they have a strong base.

In t20s

Haider ali
Babar
Abdullah
Hafeez
Sarfraz
Khushdil
Shadab
Imad
Wahab
Shaheen
Rauf

4day game
Imran butt
Shan masood
Abid ali
Azhar
Haris
Fawad/ gohar ammad butt
Rohail
Ammad butt/gohar
Sohail
Naseem
Abbas

Would you rather see them play in the t20s the 4day is to build match fitness and get used to the conditions its the correct decision to have them play in the 4 day .dont no what your on about

Excluding Shaheen and Wahab, this has to be the worst bowling attack Pakistan have gone on Tour with.

I reckon our bowling standards have fallen down to Afghanistan level.

This series for NZ is probably no different to the series against West Indies.
You might have had a point, had you not clubbed Wahab with Shaheen as a 'premier' bowler. Hard to take this post seriously after that gaffe.

PSL 6 will essentially confirm if the selectors are putting faith in the right players. However, we desperately need a finisher/hitter, a genuine one. PSL 6 will be great if we find someone of that talent, and hopefully these players like Danish Aziz, Abdullah Shafique, etc. get picked and are given a chance to play.

The problem might be that more international players will take part of PSL, so teams might not necessarily buy more local players if they have a strong base.

I think one of the 3 can be potentional finishers khushdil azam khan or danish the last has the best temprement

Team 1:
1. Babar Azam (c)
2. Abdullah Shafique
3. Haider Ali
4. Mohammad Hafeez
5. Azam Khan (wk)
6. Khushdil Shah
7. Shadab Khan (vc)
8. Imad Wasim
9. Wahab Riaz
10. Shaheen Afridi
11. Hasnain/Rauf

Team 2
1. Babar Azam (c)
2. Zeeshan Ashraf (wk)
3. Haider Ali
4. Mohammad Hafeez
5. Iftikhar Ahmed
6. Khushdil Shah
7. Shadab Khan (vc)
8. Imad Wasim
9. Wahab Riaz
10. Shaheen Afridi
11. Hasnain/Rauf

1. Abdullah Shafique
2. Zeeshan Malik
3. Zeeshan Ashraf
4. Shan Masood
5. Imam ul Haq
6. Sharjeel Khan
7. Fakhar Zaman

Do you not see haider as an opener and do you not think abdullah are similar players.personally i like your first 1 over the second 1

T20 team looks good. Lots of bowling options, and a couple of power hitters to support Babar. Pakistan is going to be a force to reckon with in the upcoming T20 world cup.

Would you rather see them play in the t20s the 4day is to build match fitness and get used to the conditions its the correct decision to have them play in the 4 day .dont no what your on about

Then they shouldn’t cancel a four day match.

I'm glad to see Talat in the squad. He deserves his chance.

Really do not get the Musa selection. And Sarfraz is finished as an international cricketer. Would have been worth trying Azam Khan or taking another younger keeper for experience.

Man, you are impossible to talk to. Where else will the Azhar Alis and the Abid Alis go. They can either be in the t20 squad or 4-day squad? You would rather we play Abid Ali And Azhar in the t20s? We have a Test series with New Zealand and the team has zero match practice. These players need the game time or would you rather we get humiliated in Tests?

Its the fault of PCB not put extra tour match for test preparation. Also Misbah shouldn't cancel that 4 day match.

Its the fault of PCB not put extra tour match for test preparation. Also Misbah shouldn't cancel that 4 day match.

Are you trolling? Or maybe you genuinely don't know that the 4-day match got canceled due to Corona and the player being holed up in their rooms leading up to the game. Had Misbah not called off the match, it still would not have gone on as more positive cases were reported after that. There were a good number of practice matches to be held but then the Positive cases came out and we were on the verge of being deported back to Pakistan. These are clearly exceptional times. I am not backing Misbah, his team selection is uninspiring most of the time, however, this squad is the best that could have been made from the present resources.

Errr.. what were your other expectations?

I already said I was talking about the Shaheen Team not the T20's.

Back