Should Pakistan change Shaheen Shah Afridi as captain before the upcoming T20 World Cup 2024?

Should Pakistan change captain before the upcoming T20 WC

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
After a forgettable and disappointing PSL 9, Should Shaheen Shah Afridi be replaced with someone else like Mohammad Rizwan, Shadab Khan or Babar Azam. With just 2 wins in last 15 matches as captain, has SSA run out of luck and favor or should we persist with him in the T20 World Cup 2024.

Rizwan is the answer for me even Babar and Shadab are not proper fit for this role.

Should we change captain? Absolutely however it is clear that the alternatives (Rizwan and Shadab) are a even bigger down grade to Shaheen and as such no real difference will be made

If somehow captaincy is given to Saud, Imad or Sarfraz than we might be on the right track
How come Rizwan is a bad choice?

What’s the team going to look like under Rizwan…starting XI?
Rizwan
Saim
Babar
Shadab
Iftikhar
Mehran Mumtaz
SSA
Naseem
Abbas Afridi
Arafat Minhas
Khurram Shahzad

My probable XI but highly doubt Rizwan will select such XIs.

Rizwan is the answer for me even Babar and Shadab are not proper fit for this role.
Rizwan being captain means that the opposition will get Infinite hugs from him while he pretends to limp on one leg acting as if he's injured.

He's shown himself to be beyond soft in this psl.

Also deapite winning games, his captaincy is terrible? In the previous game he literally wasted his best bowler wiese early and had his 2 worst bowlers bowl at the 19th and 20th, why on earth would you bowl usama mir at 19th when he got carted around? Just finish him off at 16gh and save wiese at the end?

It doesn't help that Rizwan's acting always causes delays and handicaps the team as slow overrates mean that the team has to field with 4 fielders outside the ring.

Lastly rizwan can't judge drs reviews, to his credit he's way better then shaheen who wastes them to oblivion but rizzu despite being a good keeper behind the stumps with good jumps and dives, he can't judge lbw's or knicks even if his life depended on it.

People tend to ignore these facts and somehow will act as if multan got unlucky despite posting a 229 score.

Rizwan
Saim
Babar
Shadab
Iftikhar
Mehran Mumtaz
SSA
Naseem
Abbas Afridi
Arafat Minhas
Khurram Shahzad

So why would you want this guy as captain?

PCB should have announced before the start of the PSL that the winning captain and coach would by default captain/coach Pakistan in the World T20 tournament irrespective of his individual performance. Of course, it would be compulsory for each team to have a Pakistani as a captain.

I could have been a fun tournament to watch. :afridi

There would be more fights on the ground, anger, passion etc.

PSL never ever equals performance at the big stage i.e. internationals.

Specially when it comes to bashing the bowlers or bowlers taking wickets, don't make the mistake of extrapolating good performances of PSL and think it will be the same in international cricket.

But I understand it's about bad performance of Shaheen, not his "good" performance, and I don't personally think Shaheen has it in him to be a good captain.

However, it does not make sense to change your captain abruptly, right before the tournament.

Knowing our team, it's going to cause huge infighting and conflicts. People might even underperform.

i voted no, as it is too late and will demoralize Shaheen and the team. But he clearly is a poor captain and was chosen for non-leadership reason, probably due to his Father in law. Shaheen is the opposite of a leader, he needs to be lead, guided and mentored. He behaves like a child and probably not very smart. Rizwan is your best chance. He clearly makes it to the team on merit, seems like a easy going guy and has some experience. Shadab looks too raw and others are meh..

Yes it's better to remove him otherwise, we will lose the World Cup and a world class bowler too.

It's better for him to only concentrate on bowling... he is not a captaincy material!

Yes it's better to remove him otherwise, we will lose the World Cup and a world class bowler too.

It's better for him to only concentrate on bowling... he is not a captaincy material!
He won’t play if he is removed without getting a fair chance

At this rate, we'll be making posts about the 2031 world cup and how we can avoid the mistakes of the past, since it seems 2024-2027 and even 2028 Olympics is a lost cause at this point.

Rizwan has runs behind him and a good captaincy record. You can do 1000 anti-Rizwan posts daily but it will not make any difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rizwan has runs behind him and a good captaincy record. You can do 1000 anti-Rizwan posts daily but it will not make any difference.
Because Pakistan doesn't have a no 4 in t20? What are you on about? We're using an opening batsmen at no 4( fakhar) and a middle order fraud at opening?

Every player has runs behind him, as for it won't make any difference, ofcourse it won't,

Who's your no 4 for us in t20? I'd like to hear an answer? Fakhar THE OPENER, shadab the Pseudo allrounder? Like thats juat stupid from all angles.

Hahaha. Agreed. I like omair and won't mind him getting a go in Pakistan colours but I don't think he's international material.

Rizwan
Saim
Babar
Shadab
Iftikhar
Mehran Mumtaz
SSA
Naseem
Abbas Afridi
Arafat Minhas
Khurram Shahzad

That is a terrible playing 11.

I really hope Rizwan is captain, so we don't ever see such crap.

Because Pakistan doesn't have a no 4 in t20? What are you on about? We're using an opening batsmen at no 4( fakhar) and a middle order fraud at opening?

Every player has runs behind him, as for it won't make any difference, ofcourse it won't,

Who's your no 4 for us in t20? I'd like to hear an answer? Fakhar THE OPENER, shadab the Pseudo allrounder? Like thats juat stupid from all angles.
I thought you didn't have likes and dislikes? All coming out now.

I thought you didn't have likes and dislikes? All coming out now.
I don't, I'm speaking the actual truth which I always will, I stated it 100x earlier that neither saud or rizwan are fit to be t20 openers.

I don't, I'm speaking the actual truth which I always will, I stated it 100x earlier that neither saud or rizwan are fit to be t20 openers.
But watching omair for the first time in your life means he's fine to bat at 4 in odis and t20s? Have you ever even seen him bat before today. I have seen him from his u19 days and I know he won't make it at international level.

But watching omair for the first time in your life means he's fine to bat at 4 in odis and t20s? Have you ever even seen him bat before today. I have seen him from his u19 days and I know he won't make it at international level.
Bro, one comment at a time, you're making me jump threads, easy.

I've seen omair bat before during the acc emerging Asia cup lol.

I'm advocating him for no 4 because Pakistan doesn't have a no 4 in t20. Only other option would be to try shadab who'll fail in international or move chacha up at no 4.

I'm advocating him for no 4 because Pakistan doesn't have a no 4 in t20. Only other option would be to try shadab who'll fail in international or move chacha up at no 4.
Fakhar is much better than him at 4. Abdullah will be miles better than him at 4 too. He doesn't have the game against pace.

If the option is having Omair or Shadab at 4 i will defonitely pick Shasab as Omair has no power game at all.

I said it initially Shaheen shouldn't have been the captain in the first place because he needed to be rested periodically which cannot happen as T20 captain. I do think he is a good captain and he certainly hasn't turned into a bad captain after getting team back to back wins in PSL as captain, it means he will play Tests and the few ODI's Pakistan do play and T20 matches without rest and it will lead to his body completely breaking down.

However, now that he has been appointed captain, you cannot remove after one poor series. That is beyond ridiculous. You have to give him at least until the WC.

I like the idea of Shaheen captaining. I’m glad that it isn’t Rizwan.

But Babar needs to open with Saim and Rizwan needs to bat in the middle-order.
So for everything to work in Pakistan’s best interest, Babar or Rizwan cannot be captains?

So for everything to work in Pakistan’s best interest, Babar or Rizwan cannot be captains?
Babar can be captain but not Rizwan. In fact Babar should be the Test captain right now. Rizwan is not a good enough player to be the captain.

I think it was shaheen's insistence to get saim as an opener.if rizwan is captian, he may get babar back as opener .

Babar can be captain but not Rizwan. In fact Babar should be the Test captain right now. Rizwan is not a good enough player to be the captain.
Right, so if Babar does become captain, how will he break the news to Rizwan that they are going to go with Saim as the opener instead of Babar and Rizwan? What’s the justification?

I think it was shaheen's insistence to get saim as an opener.if rizwan is captian, he may get babar back as opener .
It wasn’t Shaheen’s call. It was Hafeez who struggled to convince Babar to play at 3. Shaheen is a worshipper of Babar+Rizwan combination

It wasn’t Shaheen’s call. It was Hafeez who struggled to convince Babar to play at 3. Shaheen is a worshipper of Babar+Rizwan combination
So saim is on notice to perform quickly as no more hafeez?

So saim is on notice to perform quickly as no more hafeez?
Saim lost his spot with Hafeez running the show. Then Saim had a poor BPL too. He may have found some breathing space in the PSL but Saim isn’t going to play like he is doing now against proper international attacks on wickets that are not as flat as the ones in PSL

Besides this, I am pretty sure the inner core players are looking for any excuse to bring back Babar and Rizwan opening combination. Shadab will be at 4 and Shaheen will come in at 5

Saim lost his spot with Hafeez running the show. Then Saim had a poor BPL too. He may have found some breathing space in the PSL but Saim isn’t going to play like he is doing now against proper international attacks on wickets that are not as flat as the ones in PSL

Besides this, I am pretty sure the inner core players are looking for any excuse to bring back Babar and Rizwan opening combination. Shadab will be at 4 and Shaheen will come in at 5
God save pak if it's like that.previosly their bowling used to restrict opponents for 160 score,which was chasable by rizbar.Now Shaheen and rauf on the down hill, it does not make sense for them at the top and shadab,shaheen in middle order.

It will not be a good move to remove Shaheen just before the world cup. He was made captain so he should be given enough chances. I agree to the fact that he is not the best guy to captain the team atm and should only be focusing on his actual job which is to bowl well and he is not doing that job great.

Right, so if Babar does become captain, how will he break the news to Rizwan that they are going to go with Saim as the opener instead of Babar and Rizwan? What’s the justification?
No justification needed. Things have changed after the emergence of Saim.

Are you kidding me?

Shadab and Shaheen trolling at 4 and 5 is the worst middle order to ever play for Pakistan.

And I have seen quite a few middle orders.

Are you kidding me?

Shadab and Shaheen trolling at 4 and 5 is the worst middle order to ever play for Pakistan.

And I have seen quite a few middle orders.
I kid you not, that’s what will most likely happen if Pakistan cricket team isn’t controlled by a mature management or someone who completely trusts these Saya corporations clients.

The era of Ramiz, Saqlain and Babar has pretty much left a serious scar in our minds. Anything is possible with these fools

Shaheen is not needed at number 5. He should stick to his bowling which he is not doing well atm. We can easily play shadab at that number considering his form in this PSL. He looked good.

The era of Ramiz, Saqlain and Babar has pretty much left a serious scar in our minds. Anything is possible with these fools

The short lived joy of Misbah being ousted.

Should we change captain? Absolutely however it is clear that the alternatives (Rizwan and Shadab) are a even bigger down grade to Shaheen and as such no real difference will be made

If somehow captaincy is given to Saud, Imad or Sarfraz than we might be on the right track
Imad or Sarfaraz is possibly the worst call I've ever seen for a "future" Pakistan captain. Rizwan or Shadab might not be the answer but I'd rather keep Shaheen and pray he learns than go back in history with two over the hill players in Imad or Sarfaraz.

Babar or Riz should replace him so we can enjoy the meltdown in these parts lol

Shaheen still needs to improve his game, he should stop trying to be something he ain’t, a capable top/middle order batter.

What’s the team going to look like under Rizwan…starting XI?
Saim Ayub
Babar
Rizwan
Fakhar/Haris
Imad Wasim
Shadab
Ifthikar
Mhd. Wasim /Usama Mir
Shaheen Afridi
Naseem Shah
Mohammad Ali

I would love to have Mhd. Amir here..but that's not gonna happen. Not sure about Imad either.

Here Rizwan will have 8 bowling options. 5 good T20 bowlers. Ali for death overs with Wasim or Naseem. Babar cannot play spin, so opening is his best bet.

SSA is not the right person for the job. Still strikes me as a bit immature. Needs a bit of time to grow and develop.
Think Rizwan would be the only suitable option at this point. Basically the best of the worst.

I don't know what to say was SSA's earlier success at LQ a fluke or his recent bad performance was a bit unfortunate. Anyway he looks shaky at the moment and need a serious overhaul.

People did not believe in Shaheen before he won two PSLs, one can go back to the thread and see many posters comments there. I stood with him then. I stand with him now. How come some losers get 4 years and he cannot even get 2?

People did not believe in Shaheen before he won two PSLs, one can go back to the thread and see many posters comments there. I stood with him then. I stand with him now. How come some losers get 4 years and he cannot even get 2?
Can’t even get 5 months at this rate

The guys who want him gone want us to revert back to the nonsense under Babar and Rizwan

Can’t even get 5 months at this rate

The guys who want him gone want us to revert back to the nonsense under Babar and Rizwan
Its as if seeing their preffered player on top is more important than winning. They are used to being mediocre.

I think giving the captaincy to Rizwan would be a better idea than leaving it with Shaheen, in all honestly.

But, I think Rizwan needs to drop down to #3.

Babar + Saim is the best opening partnership that Pakistan can go into the T20WC with.

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) will take the decision on Shaheen Afridi's future as the captain of the T20I side after the national camp, which is starting from March 25 at Kakul

While talking to a presser at the announcement of the selection committee, PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi didn't talk much on of Shaheen's future as captain.

"Even I don't know who the captain will be," Naqvi said. "Whether Shaheen continues or a new captain comes in will be determined after the fitness camp [starting on Monday].

"There are a number of technical factors we will consider, the details of which I do not want to go into. We want a long-term solution, whether it's Shaheen or a new man. And then we intend to stick by that man, instead of just changing a captain just because you lose a match or captain," he added.

Remember, Shaheen replaced Babar Azam as T20I captain after Pakistan's dismal show in the ODI World Cup in India. The decision was taken by the then committee headed by Zaka Ashraf, who also picked Shan Masood as Test captain.

It was Shaheen's success as captain of the Lahore Qalandars, having led the franchise to back-to-back PSL titles that got him national captaincy.

However, his first stint as captain in the five-match New Zealand series was not up to the mark. The Blackcaps ended up dominating by 4-1.

It must be noted PCB announced a new seven-member selection committee for the Pakistan cricket team.

The previous committee led by Wahab Riaz was dissolved earlier this morning after which the reorganised selection committee was announced.

The PCB chief confirmed that the committee will no longer have a chairman and each member will have the same power so the decision-making process remains smooth.

The selection committee will consist of former cricketers Mohammad Yousuf, Wahab Riaz, Abdul Razzaq and Asad Shafiq, said Naqvi, adding that the head coach, captain and analyst will be the other members.

There will be two to three coordinators but they will not have any voting powers.

So after the training camp in Kakul, phouji's will decide the future of T20 captain

Shaheen should not be removed IMO. Not a good example PCB will be setting for the future. Guys would not want to take this responsibility because you can get kicked out after failing in just 1 and only series in which you were made captain.

According to media reports Babar will be offered the captaincy again. I hope he doesn't accept it.

No you are destroying a player with this . Let him continue till WC with Rizwan as deputy .

Shahid Afridi speaking during the interview:

“The issue here is that when the system changes, or when the people involved change, the entire system undergoes a transformation. Everyone believes that the work they will do will be unique and superior. They often perceive the work done by their predecessors as incorrect. In essence, even though the faces keep changing, the system should remain consistent. When you assign someone a responsibility, you should also provide them with sufficient time to fulfill it. Either your previous decision was wrong, or the decision you will make now will be wrong."​

“The issue here is that when the system changes, or when the people involved change, the entire system undergoes a transformation. Everyone believes that the work they will do will be unique and superior. They often perceive the work done by their predecessors as incorrect. In essence, even though the faces keep changing, the system should remain consistent. When you assign someone a responsibility, you should also provide them with sufficient time to fulfill it. Either your previous decision was wrong, or the decision you will make now will be wrong."​
He is biased but everything he has said here is spot on.

The king of flip floppers, talks a good game but his actions say otherwise. Not too long ago he was the head of the selection committee under Sethi and they made their own changes. Now he has a problem with the new management making changes. His stance changes according to his needs.

I feel for Shaheen, who's trying to do the right thing, having such an embarrassing father in law interfering in his affairs. Like dude you have your own problems and should be working hard to prevent a boycott of your companies.

Not too long ago he was the head of the selection committee under Sethi and they made their own changes. Now he has a problem with the new management making changes. His stance changes according to his needs.
LOL. This is what he said. He has an issue with system change but he himself was part of the same system.

LOL. This is what he said. He has an issue with system change but he himself was part of the same system.

Yup. He's agenda driven and always wants to stay in the limelight. Will never grow up this guy

Back