South Africa vs India | 1st Test | Day 3 Discussion | Johannesburg | 20/12/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can only negate so much. There has to be a time when you look to score.

Sometimes, India are guilty of doing something whichmay not be correct. Learn to take critiscm.

India do need to make sure they keep accumulating runs. Its the kind of pitch where one wicket can trigger a collapse, so now the batsmen are set, they have to try and get something.

The runs will come , its far more important for the top order to play out overs ...we put up a good score in the first innings by playing out a lot of overs . We have played even better here . The Middle and lower order will have it a lot easier . SA will have to bowl Tahir at some point too .

Tahir is going to be treated with the disdain he deserves

One of these two needs to get out for India to advance the game and put pressure on South Africa batting last. Scoring 100 runs by stumps and being up by 150 isn't really going to help. Need to create scoreboard pressure, rotate the strike and prevent the Japie bowlers from bowling at the same batsman for more than a few balls in a row.

Last edited:
9 runs off Tahir already.

I hope he gets smashed. Bowled like a drain in Australia as well.

Tahir bowling only 8 overs put pressure on the pacers and led to them being over bowled. I don't think SA can afford to not play him today though after what happened to Morkel. Easy runs for us hopefully.

The runs will come , its far more important for the top order to play out overs ...we put up a good score in the first innings by playing out a lot of overs . We have played even better here . The Middle and lower order will have it a lot easier . SA will have to bowl Tahir at some point too .

I get that - but all I am saying is that its a risk. Sonner or later, al ball with come which has your name on it - make sure you make a contribution before it does. Better to play like Philander, than Faf.

That saying, they look good so far, and if they carry on without losing wickets then they are doing a good job. There is a downside though, thats all im saying.

Tahir bowling now...India have to bat smartly. Have to punish the bad balls, but there are cracks on the pitch, so have to be careful as well. Can't get carried away.

Also, have to make sure SA play him in the next game....have to be smart and give a wicket to him now and then :p

Last edited:
still 2 and a half days to go

Need to be composed but attacking and always trying to move the game forward. They've definitely both played themselves in by now. SA are a bowler down, create some pressure on them by hitting one of these hacks out of the attack. Put Smith under pressure. This is where India miss a Sehwag or a Tendy who could switch gears and put the bowling under pressure and force bowling changes.

Last edited:
Still .... last 10 overs they have been scoring at 4 an over. Agreed Tahir's 9 a over helped ...

I am kind of scared of drink breaks while batting or anything that breaks the rhythm ... concentration is important and usually on such pitches your first mistake is your last

To trigger a collapse?

If these two bat out the day and just put on another 100 runs in the remaining 50 overs, India would be in total control of the match. We rather be 1/150 instead of 5/200 at the end of the day. Don't worry about scoring rate much, Kohli and Rohit can up the ante later. Moreover, Indians are gaining valuable match practice for the second test as well.

Need to be composed but attacking and always trying to move the game forward. They've definitely both played themselves in by now.

They are going to target Tahir as Smith has to bowl him for quite a few overs. Vijay simply does not have the ability to score off these SA pacers and, apparently, neither does Pujara.

I get that - but all I am saying is that its a risk. Sonner or later, al ball with come which has your name on it - make sure you make a contribution before it does. Better to play like Philander, than Faf.

That saying, they look good so far, and if they carry on without losing wickets then they are doing a good job. There is a downside though, thats all im saying.

Tahir bowling now...India have to bat smartly. Have to punish the bad balls, but there are cracks on the pitch, so have to be careful as well. Can't get carried away.

Also, have to make sure SA play him in the next game....have to be smart and give give a few wickets now and then :p

There is a risk with both the approaches , so I would rather batsmen play as per their comfort . Virat/ Rahane / Dhoni will play at quicker SR as it comes naturally to them , even Ashwin . Vijay/Pujara/Rohit are relatively on the slower side , but once set can score quickly . Eventually you will see bowlers tiring and more chances for scoring , if they can continue to bat smartly .

They are going to target Tahir as Smith has to bowl him for quite a few overs. Vijay simply does not have the ability to score off these SA pacers and, apparently, neither does Pujara.

I don't know, I just feel like this is a moment that India can seize to psychologically smash SA out of the match. Morkel is injured, Steyn not bowling well, it's the best opportunity to smash some of these other Japie bowlers and make a statement. Put some good runs on the board, make SA chase the game tomorrow. I know there's still a lot of time to go but I feel SA are on the rack right now. You have like 3 1/2 sessions left to bat.

There is a risk with both the approaches , so I would rather batsmen play as per their comfort . Virat/ Rahane / Dhoni will play at quicker SR as it comes naturally to them , even Ashwin . Vijay/Pujara/Rohit are relatively on the slower side , but once set can score quickly . Eventually you will see bowlers tiring and more chances for scoring , if they can continue to bat smartly .

Hmmm...I suppose there is...but I still feel that any top level batsman has to have a safe release shot that can get a single. Just getting one or two singles an over is better than allowing a series of maidens.

But, as you said, they are riding it ou well so far...lets see what happens.

Tahir off after one over lol.

Finally Kallis's economy rate goes over 1 after 6 overs ... whatta player ... he has simply tied one end down

I thot Pakistani fans liked India playing a tough opponentt like SA in their home turf ... Too bad I don't see that many now, even if its Srilanka vs pak match going on :13: :55:

I thot Pakistani fans liked India playing a tough opponentt like SA in their home turf ... Too bad I don't see that many now, even if its Srilanka vs pak match going on :13: :55:

not a time to gloat. You guys have played and plenty of Pak fans have admitted it there will always be few trolls thats bound to happen on any nation centeric website.

Seffricans look very ordinary. Bodes well for our tour of SA in Feb.

not a time to gloat. You guys have played and plenty of Pak fans have admitted it there will always be few trolls thats bound to happen on any nation centeric website.

+1. There are some genuine posters in this forum and they've acknowledged India's fight back. Lets keep the trolls aside

Last edited:
Pujara has some impressive numbers in both domestic and international cricket. Next 13 Tests in the toughest of conditions could establish him as a player with bright future ahead.

I don't know, I just feel like this is a moment that India can seize to psychologically smash SA out of the match. Morkel is injured, Steyn not bowling well, it's the best opportunity to smash some of these other Japie bowlers and make a statement. Put some good runs on the board, make SA chase the game tomorrow. I know there's still a lot of time to go but I feel SA are on the rack right now. You have like 3 1/2 sessions left to bat.

I agree with what you say but apart from Kohli I don't think any of our young bats can really take the atack to SA atm. Nobody gave this Indian team a chance to do well here and they were right to think so. Man for man SA are much stronger and aggressive than we are. We have simply strategised much better by frustrating their bowlers from the word go and have had our share of luck. SA tend to play some really silly cricket when things don't go their way and Che and Vijay seem to be waiting for it.

Another reason not to gloat is the pitch itself ... yesterday i switched off when I saw SA at 118/1 .... an hour or so later when I reached the hotel it was 146/6 .... absolutely cannot be certain of anything (except being entertained) on such pitches.

Kallis DOES seem to get quite a few wickets from seemingly non threatening balls ... Vijay out to something he should have put away for a boundary at fine leg...

Some of these numbers actually gain a lot of meaning when you notice that Steyn has played on 68 matches. Kallis 165 matches ... Tendulkar 200 ....

Steyn has already bowled 12 overs. Smith has to bring on Tahir here. Show some faith in him.

Good knock by Vijay. Now with Kohli in, India should try to score faster, but wickets are still important at this stage as India is not in the driver's seat yet. A couple of wickets will even out things.

India on top here. Morkel being injured is a big blow for SA.

Chasing 250+ won't be easy, will infact be tough.

Steyn into his 14th over and still hitting 147 kph! This guy is just a phenomenal athlete! Fiery stuff.

I must admit Vijay was phenomenal today.

Top performance.

I never thought in my wild dreams he could survive these conditions.

Though he couldn't capitalize, he has given India a great platform.

Let's see how this goes.

This is an absolute insult to Tahir .... I dont think Tahir should be expecting the ball anytime soon

India should smash ABCD out of the Wanderers ground

Who would have thot at the start of this test series that a frustrated SA will make their batsman to bowl at the Indians :68: :55: :)))

India are playing far too professionally for a sub continental side what's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back