South Africa vs Pakistan | 3rd Test | Centurion | 22/2/13 | Day 1

Ehsan and Rahat are a bit young and inconsistent, I'm sure they'll get better as they play more, but they also need better coaching than muhammad akram. Maybe a different Akram could cut it

South Africa in Drivers Seat

South Africa are in a good position , 300 or 270 is good enough for pakistan batting
and there is swing in the pitch . Eshan showed that bowling in the right areas , Rahat bowls one good ball then 5 bad ones he got lucky with Hashim Amla ,

Dominic Cork from the sky studios very impressed by the aggression from the pakistani pace attack.

Learn from last match and first innings of first match and get Hafeez on against RP!!!!!

Delighted to see Rahat, Ehsan, and Irfan all in the side! I said it before that Rahat should be given one more chance, and look what he's doing with another opportunity today. Ehsan looks brilliant so far - two wickets already! Irfan and Ajmal didn't get any wickets so far, but I'm sure they'll get a few during the test match. I back Rahat to pick up a 5-fer this innings.

Delighted to see Rahat, Ehsan, and Irfan all in the side! I said it before that Rahat should be given one more chance, and look what he's doing with another opportunity today. Ehsan looks brilliant so far - two wickets already! Irfan and Ajmal didn't get any wickets so far, but I'm sure they'll get a few during the test match. I back Rahat to pick up a 5-fer this innings.

he has overpitched far too many times adil...not sure what he is trying to do at that pace

This is what you get when you back youngsters.They have outdone Umar Gul.Give credit where its due.

I am not impressed with Irfan. I dont care how tall he is, or how big his shoes are, or how much he OCCASIONALLY gets a batman to jump.

He's now had 3 innings with the new ball opening, 0 wickets.... he needs to get some wickets :/

Misbah agar eik bowler kou pakadh ley tou uski jaan hi nahi chodtha. Yaar give the ball to Hafeez, he might give you Peterson's wicket.

8 overs - 2 wickets on debut doesnt impress you???? Kinda high standards given our main attack bowler (Irfan) goes wicketless again with new ball...

yes and inbetween half volley after half volley...hence SA are still in a good position....have a look at his economy rate

TBH, I think they made a good decision to replace Nasir with Farhat for this game. Nasir got 4 innings to prove himself - in 3 of them he got out cheaply, and in 1 of them he threw his wicket away. He needs some more domestic experience before playing for the test team. Taufeeq should replace him in the next test series, but for now, Farhat will do (he won't do any worse than Nasir in this game).

I think they have put more than enough runs on the board to secure a healthy first innings lead. Follow-on on the cards for Pakistan.

yes and inbetween half volley after half volley...hence SA are still in a good position....have a look at his economy rate

Really???? Your argument is his economy rate is bad? So if somebody said a bowler would go for 5 fours and a wicket in an over, you would say "no thanks"? I'll take the 20 runs & a wicket against the top order of RSA.

over who? Its nice to just post random statement. But is he going to bowl over Ajmal??? Or are you not going to use ANY pace on a RSA track, and bowl spin on both ends?

He took 4 wickets in first innings of first match which included RP's wicket. That was not a turning wicket by any means. He then took RP's wicket with first ball he bowled to him in the second match. Add to this the fact that he's extremely useful at led handers! So yes replace Ajmal with Hafeez for a few overs. Does this still not make sense to you?

TBH, I think they made a good decision to replace Nasir with Farhat for this game. Nasir got 4 innings to prove himself - in 3 of them he got out cheaply, and in 1 of them he threw his wicket away. He needs some more domestic experience before playing for the test team. Taufeeq should replace him in the next test series, but for now, Farhat will do (he won't do any worse than Nasir in this game).

The problem with this argument is that Farhat has had MULTIPLE chances. This is Nasir's first RSA tour. You are playing such a young team, what is the point of playing Farhat?

I would rather groom Nasir through a learning experience than play Farhat, who should be cut as soon as we are done.

I agree, I probably open with Taufeeq if we had him though. He is a solid test opener.

Adil is very slow bowler... What they are eating these days in Pakistan? First we had Tanvir (Right Arm slow medium fast) and now Adil who is just 5-8 clicks better than him...

He took 4 wickets in first innings of first match which included RP's wicket. That was not a turning wicket by any means. He then took RP's wicket with first ball he bowled to him in the second match. Add to this the fact that he's extremely useful at led handers! So yes replace Ajmal with Hafeez for a few overs. Does this still not make sense to you?

You got your wish :)

I didn't get you, can you please explaing more? :yk

Adil need to bowl at least 135 kph if he's gonna be a star
He's got line and length but the speed lets him down
I honestly think some of his deliveries had they been 10-15 kph faster they would have been wicket taking deliveries .

Adil is very slow bowler... What they are eating these days in Pakistan? First we had Tanvir (Right Arm slow medium fast) and now Adil who is just 5-8 clicks better than him...

Tanvir bowls mid 120s, Philander bowls mid 130s. By your "8 clicks better" argument, I guess those two are the same bowler.....???

Plus Ehsan is 19! He can add even more pace. He already bowls 130s, he can easily add pace in the next couple years to hit high 130s or 140. But again, Philander is only mid 130s.

pace is not everything, else Sami would be better than Philander.

As commentrator rightly say in the begining, Adil does not complete his action. He is too worried about where he need to land the bowl, because of that his leg does not straighten and also he does not fully complete his arms and shoulder, full power is not generated. This is why he looses lot of speed.

I think I have seen him in U-19 world cup in AUS. At that time he was not the best Pakistani bowler, Zia UL-Haq was much better (pacy and nipper) than him. Why he was not selected ahead of him???

As commentrator rightly say in the begining, Adil does not complete his action. He is too worried about where he need to land the bowl, because of that his leg does not straighten and also he does not fully complete his arms and shoulder, full power is not generated. This is why he looses lot of speed.

I think I have seen him in U-19 world cup in AUS. At that time he was not the best Pakistani bowler, Zia UL-Haq was much better (pacy and nipper) than him. Why he was not selected ahead of him???

cause he was highest wicket taker in presidents trophy

Well said. Plus his first A avg is under 19!! Zia (who will hopefully get better cause a teenage himself) is over 25!!

Also, if your only argument is "he's not fast". Then go pick Irfan over Philander, cause Irfan is "faster".

What a stupid argument....

Did the umpire just ask AB about the ball????
When RSA got it changed last test, did umpire ask Pak batsman????

Does anybody know???

what a blunder to play Ehsan at this age,there are much more mature bowlers than Ehsan in pak

Just going by stats is not a good idea... We have a painful evidence of that... Sami, Gul maybe good at domestic level but are not bowlers at all period...

Appointing Aqaib at the Academy is just producing medium paces... It is very difficult to produce a high quality medium pacer (Asif, Vernon were big exception)... We need to develop pacy fast bowlers... Aqaib cannot deliver that... Even if we want medium pacers we have to go to the master "Asif" to help us, Aquiab was a very average bowler, what he knows about bowling???

Pakistan need to break this partnership and hopefully SA will collapse after that.

batsman gets out another comes in and 50 partnership inevitably comes up....story of the whole series for us

just dont understand how garbage like petersen continues to make runs

batsman gets out another comes in and 50 partnership inevitably comes up....story of the whole series for us

just dont understand how garbage like petersen continues to make runs
Why don't you just give credit where it's due?

Peterson has batted beautifully.

Back