[VIDEOS] "I never gave up and never accepted defeat in my quest for international cricket": Usama Mir

After todays preformance against Australia would you want to see Usama Mir play against Afghanistan?

• Yes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
[VIDEO] "I never gave up and never accepted defeat in my quest for international cricket": Usama Mir

Usama Mir chats to Saj about playing for Worcestershire in the T20 Blast, on never giving up hope of playing international cricket, the support he received during the difficult times, always having faith in his own ability, adding consistency to his game, playing under Mohammad Rizwan at PSL8, giving his best in whatever format he is required in, his admiration for Shadab Khan, feeling confident at home in international cricket, his future hopes, dreams and more.

Last edited:
With Shadab's form becoming worse, Usama has a real chance to target that spot in the side. They can very well be playing side by side too in the subcontinent.

Usama sounds like a great dude, has a very mature head on those shoulders, and def has the game... Usama bhai if you happen to bounce by and read this, please keep up with the hard work, and dont fall for the shuper ishtar tag like many of our players do after having the odd or mediocre performances... coz the day one thinks they are shuper ishtars, is the day usually when their downfall begins. Best of luck to you, inshallah you will do the country proud

Last edited by a moderator:
A hard-working, humble and intelligent cricketer.

He's had some tough times during his career due to injuries, but he's fought through it.

Looks like he has really matured as a cricketer and is on top of his game.

I really do believe this guy can become a regular for Pakistan in white-ball formats if utilised properly.

How can Usama translate his white-ball success into Test cricket?

Ahmed Shehzad speaking to the media:

“There are some players that I like personally. Usama Mir is one of them. Where there are batting-friendly pitches in India, we have seen that he has such a height, which can help him extract bounce, which other spinners can’t, so Usama can be effective,”

“At the same time, if you talk about Abrar [Ahmed], he is a mystery bowler. These two bowlers can give an edge to Pakistan team in Indian conditions,”

Usama Mir studies video footage of many of cricket’s great leg spinners to improve his own game and says every day of his spell with Worcestershire Rapids is also a great learning process.

The Pakistan international admits Shahid Afridi has always been his role model but he also watches film of the likes of Shane Warne, Imran Tahir and Rashid Khan amongst many others to help with his development.

Usama has made a superb start to his spell at New Road and will go into Tuesday’s home encounter with Lancashire Lightning full of confidence after his T20 best of 4-22 in Sunday’s win over Leicestershire Foxes.

He has taken 12 wickets in his five Blast appearances and has also made several important late order contributions with the bat and his ability to clear the ropes.

Usama said: “I study every leg spinner. Shane Warne, brilliant, Rashid Khan, world class, a legend, I always love to watch him, Adil Rashid.

“Imran Tahir I also love to watch, Ish Sodhi the same. I also used to watch Shahid Afridi a lot. He is my role model, the way he bowled, the way he batted. I tried to copy his cricket skills.

“I know I’m not quite good enough like him but I try my level best to become as good as I can.

“Every time I learn something from the top leg spinners, how to bowl a wrong one, a flipper, everything.

“I try to learn as much as I can as a cricketer. It is a learning process and wherever you have played, and however much you have achieved in your career, it is still a learning process.

“I watch a lot of YouTube video of leg spinners and try to take in as much as I can.”

Usama is viewing his current spell with the Rapids in the same manner and he has been on the winning side in four of his five appearances.

He said: I’m enjoying my time here and happy with my performances. I always try best with bowling and batting.

“I enjoy hitting sixes and hopefully in the next games the crowds will see more sixes and more wickets as well.

“I try my best every day to give match-winning performances. I’ve worked really hard in the past and look to improve day by day.

“England county cricket is a great learning experience especially. When you share a dressing room with these talented players, good players like Adam Hose, Jack Haynes and Brett D’Oliveira, it is a learning process for me.”

Usama is looking for the Rapids to maintain their push for a spot on the quarter-finals.

He said: “We will give our best in the next game to give some happiness to the home crowd.

“The competition is wide open and we will try to come back even stronger.”

https://wccc.co.uk/usama-mir-ive-been-studying-leg-spin-greats/

Needs a few more good performances in the Blast as seems to be getting hit about a bit more than he was before.

Pictures courtesy of @Saj who is attending the Manchester Originals vs Birmingham Phoenix game at Old Trafford

Attachments

• d7cd6c3e-cdff-44db-af16-a2e2aea466c6.jpg
    d7cd6c3e-cdff-44db-af16-a2e2aea466c6.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 7df350b0-3715-4ffe-95ae-4d5e03aa2a01.jpg
    7df350b0-3715-4ffe-95ae-4d5e03aa2a01.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 27925cdb-9c37-4e71-aae6-58431ae0ef72.jpg
    27925cdb-9c37-4e71-aae6-58431ae0ef72.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 3
Video courtesy of @Saj of Usama Mir practicing during the game

He batted really well. Let's see what he can do with the ball.
I hope we get to see a Mir vs Shadab matchup today

Usama Mir today - Bat/32* off 14, Ball/2 wickets 27 runs

Shadab today - Bat/4 off 6, Ball/0 wickets 39 runs

Mir has put Shadab in a dangerous position. Shadab's recent international performances have been decent which gives him some breathing space as far as selection is concerned, but if Mir keeps outperforming him like this the selection committee will have to prefer Mir over Shadab in the XI.

I think on current form Usama displaces Shadab as the main spinner in the Asia Cup and perhaps the World Cup (still some time to go)

Usama Mir today - Bat/32* off 14, Ball/2 wickets 27 runs

Shadab today - Bat/4 off 6, Ball/0 wickets 39 runs

Mir has put Shadab in a dangerous position. Shadab's recent international performances have been decent which gives him some breathing space as far as selection is concerned, but if Mir keeps outperforming him like this the selection committee will have to prefer Mir over Shadab in the XI.
There is no way Shadab should play ahead of Usama Mir. The only reason for getting the nod over him is because he's Babar's mate.

There is no way Shadab should play ahead of Usama Mir. The only reason for getting the nod over him is because he's Babar's mate.
dude first check record of shadab in icc event's before spewing rubbish .He is as good as any body.
Having said that usama deserves long run due to his excellent form

Decent cricketer but he is an aunty fielder
Dropped an absolute sitter yesterday and a tough chance.

But batting and bowling with a lot of confidence these days.

The good thing about these leagues is that talent gets recognized even if National selectors continue to ignore someone.

Butler saw him perform in the county t20 tournament and picked him up from there for the 100. And now he’s out performing Shadab all over again.

Shockingly enough he is yet to make his t20 debut for Pakistan

Poor match today, but I hope he's given more chances in the coming matches and not just dumped after one bad match.

He looked clumsy & unsure on a track tailor made for him. He has been hyped so much here & in general on social media that I sometimes find it ridiculous. No way this guy should be preferred over Shadab. Shadab may not get a 4/5er on a whim, but he can control & dictate opposition. Not to mention his batting & incredible fielding ability. Osama needs to improve a lot before really being called world class. Right now I see him fourth in the pecking order behind Shadab, Imad & Nawaz.

Is the love affair with Usama Mir now over?

Not doing himself any favours with such shots and also lack of wickets

Did anyone ask him?

His agent most likely tweeted this for him. Great opportunity to make yourself relevant and let the world know he could have played instead of Shadab.

No one asked you also bro.

It's everyone's right to comment.

Unity within the pack is the foundation for any team to succeed. I am happy if he knows how to show unity with his squad. No doubt in the fact that he could have played in place of Shadab but still you have to accept and stand with your team.

Unity within the pack is the foundation for any team to succeed. I am happy if he knows how to show unity with his squad. No doubt in the fact that he could have played in place of Shadab but still you have to accept and stand with your team.

Guess the point is whether such tweets are part of an "agenda" by the players themselves or genuine.

We know that no Pakistan player apart from Shan can write good English so this tweet has probably been written, as @Rana says, by an agent.

Guess the point is whether such tweets are part of an "agenda" by the players themselves or genuine.

We know that no Pakistan player apart from Shan can write good English so this tweet has probably been written, as @Rana says, by an agent.
yeah surely it must have been written by someone else as our players are not so good with English but if Usama thinks the same and wants to write something like this then it is good for the team.

Usama Mir has found his place in the 15-member squad for the 2023 World cup. Good luck to this young leggie. Surely deserves a chance ahead of shadab as he has more variations.

Usama Mir's line and length during the Afghan series was not great but has got potential and can be useful in Indian conditions. Curious to see how he goes

I think he can bowl well in India as Indian are good for spinners who get bounce if he plays on a road he will travel like all other bowlers

I am looking forward to him starting from game 1 inplace of awful Nawaz

Should never have been dropped, Nawaz and Shadab are similar bowlers and will never carry your bowling attack in the middle overs.

Usama is a better option than Abrar, he actually spins his stock delivery.

1-2 bad games doesn’t make a bad player.

Surely, whatever the squad is, we have to back them now. no matter what. They are the best we have now so lets support these guys.

Good work by Usama today vs Australians in the warm-up - 2/31

He is unlikely to get many games in this World Cup ahead of Shadab and Nawaz.

Should have completed his overs and he could have picked couple more wickets and threatened Shadab place in the playing XI , was rightly under bowled by Shahdab

He really needs to improve his fielding, which is frankly shocking.

Even in County cricket this year, he was found wanting in the field.

Should never play for Pakistan again just on that drop alone. Set the tone for this mauling.

How the hell do these sort of bowlers make it to international level? This guy is worse than Shadab and that is saying something.

Shadab is the best option we have in white ball cricket

Hopefully this usama experiment will now end a club level bowler you were better of having the darter imad in the team

That Warner drop is absoloutely disgusting, add his stupid bowling on top of that, and he was also seen laughing numerous times after the mediocrity.

Is there anything hes doing right?

You know you suck when you make Shadab look indispensable. Whose connection is this guy on? Been in the squad for so long and when given a chance performs worst than a club cricketer

This is what happens when you have oldies keep playing your premier domestic trophy and upcoming players having no chance to play competitive cricket at any level. That is another story that upcoming players qualities are actually worse then domestic oldies :(

Shadab is the best option we have in white ball cricket

Hopefully this usama experiment will now end a club level bowler you were better of having the darter imad in the team

That's not saying much. He's rubbish as well.

It was a bad drop, but I thought his bowling was a lot better than Shadab's.

He actually managed to spin the ball. These were very difficult conditions for bowlers, very small boundaries. He was having to bowl to Marsh and Warner.

He needs a run of games.

Shadab has been crap for 1 year, Usama has had 1 bad game and people are calling for him to be dropped.

He actually managed to spin the ball. These were very difficult conditions for bowlers, very small boundaries. He was having to bowl to Marsh and Warner.

He needs a run of games.

Shadab has been crap for 1 year, Usama has had 1 bad game and people are calling for him to be dropped.
100 % . Tough to bowl on this wicket against guys who havre already smashed pacers around. Got the ball to dip and bounce.

He needs a run of games.

I haven't seen him since the initial PSL a few years ago, he was hyped a lot then, but regularly got tonked. Simple reason, he gives too many halwa balls. Imad Waseem can't turn the ball at all but he can produce surprisingly good returns just because he can land it regularly on a spot. Not that he's much of a bowler either but I'll bet his record is better than any other spinner Pakistan is carrying in this squad.

I thought he bowled fairly well considering it's the biggest game of his career on a batting paradise with ultra small boundaries. He actually spun the ball a great turn and having watched Shadab for so long I forgot what an actual turning leg break looked like. Didn't bowl any full tosses and getting Steve Smith out is no joke

You know you suck when you make Shadab look indispensable. Whose connection is this guy on? Been in the squad for so long and when given a chance performs worst than a club cricketer
Check his biography, you’ll know everything.

That’s why people like Abrar Ahmed always kept out of team.

You should be ashamed of the error you made these type of mistakes are not acceptable at domestic level let alone at world cup stage, if I was Your coach I would make you repent on this by training very very hard

Last game he will play.

Shadab is miles better.

He dropped a dolly of Warner at 10, gave 82 in 9 overs and scored a duck.

He is not an allrounder. Look at his domestic record. Shadab adds more in every department

Bowls loopy legspin

Too easy and won't work in white ball cricket

Shadab, Nawaz, Mir, Usman, Zahid Mehmood all these rubbish are good enough for Babar, but not Imad? I understand Imad has a personality & not exactly a court jester to entertain the almighty king even though apparently that's the only trait you need these days to get a free meal ticket in Babar xi. How shockingly the spin stock has fallen under him!😒

Shadab, Nawaz, Mir, Usman, Zahid Mehmood all these rubbish are good enough for Babar, but not Imad? I understand Imad has a personality & not exactly a court jester to entertain the almighty king even though apparently that's the only trait you need these days to get a free meal ticket in Babar xi. How shockingly the spin stock has fallen under him!😒
Imad is a pathetic player.

Worse than Shadab and Nawaz and even they are bad.

Imad is a pathetic player.

Worse than Shadab and Nawaz and even they are bad.
imad is no magician & he wouldn't have magically solved the problems. But if these rubbish pie chuckers get to play without any accountability then Imad definitely deserved a chance too.

this guys is a bad fielder and not someone who can be better then Shadab...we need to find someone who can consistently land the ball on the same area which our current leg spinners cant

Cant fault Mir. Yes he should have taken the catch, but to throw him in the deep end on such a wicket?

Just shows how pathetic the planning has been for the WC.

Another pie-chucker - we have a habit of developing these pie chuckers, Shadab, Nawaz and now this guy.

ODI stats: 10 matches 12 wickets at an average of nearly 40.

Back