West Indies v India | 1st Test | North Sound | Jul 21-25, 2016 | Match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He needs to settle down before he attacks. It's clear he's trying to impose himself on West Indies but a little caution would greatly help..

Kohli is a positive player..He needs to stick to his strengths. If he sees a ball in his zone, he will go after it. No need to change how he plays.

Kohli is a positive player..He needs to stick to his strengths. If he sees a ball in his zone, he will go after it. No need to change how he plays.

No point in playing a false shot and sitting in the dressing room regretting it instead of helping himself to an easy hundred up for grabs..

By the way, it's not Sehwag era anymore.. Kohli doesn't have the luxury of an ATG middle order

Last edited:
Under kohli I think you will some games because of his agressive captaincy but I can't see you winning series. But they will be closely competed

Yeah, without good pacers winning looks difficult. Draws will happen and Kohli/Rahane etc will hit loads of tons but unless we have some good pacers (or average pacers performing out of their skins - Sreesanth in SA, RP in England) it will be difficult. 1-1 draws maybe.

No point in playing a false shot and sitting in the dressing room regretting it instead of helping himself to an easy hundred up for grabs..

By the way, it's not Sehwag era anymore.. Kohli doesn't have the luxury of an ATG middle order

You can never make a Dravid out of Virat. He is going to play how he plays. He just need to pick the right balls to hit. He has the technique to keep out the good balls. Sachin used to play this way when he was young against much better bowlers.

You can never make a Dravid out of Virat. He is going to play how he plays. He just need to pick the right balls to hit. He has the technique to keep out the good balls. Sachin used to play this way when he was young against much better bowlers.

Apples and oranges. Sachin was a superior bat. Period. Kohli isn't that good. I'm not asking for Dravid, just asking for a bit of caution. Why go for 30 in 30 when you can get 100 in 160?

Apples and oranges. Sachin was a superior bat. Period. Kohli isn't that good. I'm not asking for Dravid, just asking for a bit of caution. Why go for 30 in 30 when you can get 100 in 160?

He is 19 (30)...Thats the max restraint you can get from Kohli. But he is a smart player, hopefully he would not play any reckless shots.

He is 19 (30)...Thats the max restraint you can get from Kohli. But he is a smart player, hopefully he would not play any reckless shots.

Glad we agree. He now looks a little assured. That is what I've been asking for..

These two should be cognizant of the fact that Indian tail starts at number 6. So if we want to make 400, these two need to play at least for 1 and half sessions more..

Yeah, without good pacers winning looks difficult. Draws will happen and Kohli/Rahane etc will hit loads of tons but unless we have some good pacers (or average pacers performing out of their skins - Sreesanth in SA, RP in England) it will be difficult. 1-1 draws maybe.

Let's see what Yadav Kumar Shami and Sharma can produce

IND should look to bat effectively once in this Test. Considering weather threat, it'll be difficult to force a result without enforcing the follow-on.

Looks like an absolutely perfect batting strip,for 1st half of the match at least. I saw some dry, barren area on either side of the wickets, but that's on half-volley length. Business length is nicely grass covered & even. Also, rain might settle whatever crack opens after couple of days.

The groundsman needs to listen some music though.

Gabriel 147 kph !

No doubt Gabriel has a lot of pace. His issue is he can't hold a consistent line and length, he's not the sort of bowler who will bowl off-stump channel 6 balls in a row.

Too many looseners from WI's bowlers since lunch.

Glad to see Bishoo is a regular in West indies colours again. Don't know what happened to him after that series in 2011 vs us

My God...

Just looked at our batting line up now.

After this we have Rahane and then Saha, Ashwin, Mishra.

What the hell.

lol.

Flimsy batting lineup.

What happened to the future lejund Rahul? Dropped for Dhawan who is playing beautifully :))) :yk

Rahul was good enough to walk into the Pakistani side but can't even find a place in the Indian side #lejund :)))

What happened to the future lejund Rahul? Dropped for Dhawan who is playing beautifully :))) :yk
Rahul, Vijay & Pujara in the top 3 will be very similar - defensive right handed batsmen. Need one guy to force the pace. I'd go with Rahul in England, Aus & SA though.

Last edited:
My God...

Just looked at our batting line up now.

After this we have Rahane and then Saha, Ashwin, Mishra.

What the hell.

lol.

Flimsy batting lineup.

Please play this line-up against us if we meet in tests.

Would be fun :yk

Rahul was good enough to walk into the Pakistani side but can't even find a place in the Indian side #lejund :)))

Not a big fan of Indian but KL is thrice the batsmen Hafeez and Shan are at test match level. He scored a century in one of his first games in australia I don't see Shan or Hafeez doing that.

Oh boy.. look at this arrogance!

No arrogance, both teams are roughly equally ranked and arguably at the same level in terms of potential/performance, so how is it possible that one guy can walk into one side and be "the best batsman" whereas he cannot find a place in the other side.

No arrogance, both teams are roughly equally ranked and arguably at the same level in terms of potential/performance, so how is it possible that one guy can walk into one side and be "the best batsman" whereas he cannot find a place in the other side.

India has better batsmen than Pakistan. Pakistan has better bowlers than India. KL Rahul is a much better bat than the likes of Hafeez and Masood.

Both sides are roughly equal but the openers of both sides are a class apart. Rahul will only need to be better than Hafeez & Shan, not YK, Misbah & Shafiq ;)

First team can have below average openers and other can have above average openers.
First team can have above average middle order and other can have below average openers.

Now, both teams may be roughly equal, but one set of openers can easily find a place in other team. Same will be true for middle order , but in other direction.

Since you ask, here's the answer:

2 things:

1. Pecking order. Kohli himself talked about it (check cricinfo article). India follows the pecking order always. In WC 2011, Bhajji was clearly an inferior spinner to Ashwin but still he played all the games while Ashwin was dropped (inspite of doing well in the games he got). Same way, later on there were stages where Ashwin was saved due to pecking order before he improved. Dhawan has a higher pecking order right now cos India gives lots of chances and then discards. Once you get discarded, coming back is super hard.

2. India and Pakistan have different strengths and weaknesses. India's strength is batting (atleast on paper though output has not been upto the mark). Indian openers are more accomplished so Rahul finds it hard to make it into the team. Plus he doesn't have flawless start to overpower Dhawan so he has to sit out.

As for best batsman, Rahul is not the best batsman (nor is he considered better than all Pak batsman). However he has very high potential. Steyn 2 years back said Rahul one day would turn out to be very good cos he had serious quality. Of course, he has quite a way to go but Rahul is the kind of guy who can open innings and score 100s on all kinds of tracks be it spin, swing, seam (even green tracks which he gets at domestic at times).

Still long way to go but potential is there.

I'm pleasantly surprised by Carlos Brathwaite. The guy has his priorities right! Playing test cricket ahead of the ongoing CPL.. And his bowling actually looks the best from whatever I've seen on offer today. Hopefully other Windies youngsters will take him as inspiration..

Since you ask, here's the answer:

2 things:

1. Pecking order. Kohli himself talked about it (check cricinfo article). India follows the pecking order always. In WC 2011, Bhajji was clearly an inferior spinner to Ashwin but still he played all the games while Ashwin was dropped (inspite of doing well in the games he got). Same way, later on there were stages where Ashwin was saved due to pecking order before he improved. Dhawan has a higher pecking order right now cos India gives lots of chances and then discards. Once you get discarded, coming back is super hard.

2. India and Pakistan have different strengths and weaknesses. India's strength is batting (atleast on paper though output has not been upto the mark). Indian openers are more accomplished so Rahul finds it hard to make it into the team. Plus he doesn't have flawless start to overpower Dhawan so he has to sit out.

As for best batsman, Rahul is not the best batsman (nor is he considered better than all Pak batsman). However he has very high potential. Steyn 2 years back said Rahul one day would turn out to be very good cos he had serious quality. Of course, he has quite a way to go but Rahul is the kind of guy who can open innings and score 100s on all kinds of tracks be it spin, swing, seam (even green tracks which he gets at domestic at times).

Still long way to go but potential is there.

Also, Dhawan makes sense for this Test - WI went for a Leggi & this side, without Jaddu, has no left-hander. But, may be time is running out fast for Pujara - somehow managed to lob Bishu's squire turning strait long-hop after 2 hours of concentration.

A hundred for kohli here would mean he has a hundred against all sides he played against except Bangladesh.

Also, Dhawan makes sense for this Test - WI went for a Leggi & this side, without Jaddu, has no left-hander. But, may be time is running out fast for Pujara - somehow managed to lob Bishu's squire turning strait long-hop after 2 hours of concentration.

Pujara even at this state is still one of India's effective test bats on spin track.

Says more about India than Pujara.

lol.

True...time is running out for him.

I prefer Rahul over Dhawan but Rahul does have the issue of starting nervously. If 3 pacers don't do well, its better to bring Rahul in for one pacer.

This batting lineup looks flimsy.

There's a sense of respect and fear in Bishop's voice when he's speaking with Viv. I can only imagine how it would have been when Viv was in the dressing room at his prime :yk

There's a sense of respect and fear in Bishop's voice when he's speaking with Viv. I can only imagine how it would have been when Viv was in the dressing room at his prime :yk

The world may never see another Viv again.

Kohli is his successor in terms of attitude but style of batting....Viv was one of his kind.

Pujara even at this state is still one of India's effective test bats on spin track.

Says more about India than Pujara.

lol.

True...time is running out for him.

I prefer Rahul over Dhawan but Rahul does have the issue of starting nervously. If 3 pacers don't do well, its better to bring Rahul in for one pacer.

This batting lineup looks flimsy.

Batting looks solid for me up until saha. I wish Saha stands up and/or we get a good keeper/batsman (LK Rahul might be risky with the gloves, after seeing some of his drops in IPL). Imagine Saha or a keeper/batsman that is a decent batsman. Would make this lineup look a lot more solid and reliable, especially if we have B Kumar/Jadeja in the line up too.

Didn't you know this? Kohli is genuinely afraid of Bangladesh :p

Yea man, was geniunely struggling in the one (or half) test that he played against them, glad he didn't play more games against them :p

It looks like Kohli is trying extra hard when Viv is holding the mike. Is he able to know who's doing the commentary? :)))

Batting looks solid for me up until saha. I wish Saha stands up and/or we get a good keeper/batsman (LK Rahul might be risky with the gloves, after seeing some of his drops in IPL). Imagine Saha or a keeper/batsman that is a decent batsman. Would make this lineup look a lot more solid and reliable, especially if we have B Kumar/Jadeja in the line up too.

Rahul if he comes has to come in for pacer. Not Saha.

Pujara's shakiness at times messes up the whole dynamics.

Ashwin and Mishra have to become a lot more solid for our batting to inspire more confidence.

Dhawan is a bit of lottery case when the ball starts doing something.

Kohli has this special ability to make batting look simple no matter what the surface is. Splendid batsman..

Rahul if he comes has to come in for pacer. Not Saha.

Pujara's shakiness at times messes up the whole dynamics.

Ashwin and Mishra have to become a lot more solid for our batting to inspire more confidence.

Dhawan is a bit of lottery case when the ball starts doing something.

I like the 5 man strategy. Thats why i think we need a solid keeper/batsman. Its fine if we are not going with 5 man bowling attack but i'd like to see that for a bit longer to see how it pans out.

They are playing, slightly better than a FC level attack - take out Gabriel, this is not a better attack than Karnatak or Mumbai Ranji team. This luxury won't be there this winter when ENG 'll bring Jimmi, Berbi, Woakes & sadly Moeen.

I like the 5 man strategy. Thats why i think we need a solid keeper/batsman. Its fine if we are not going with 5 man bowling attack but i'd like to see that for a bit longer to see how it pans out.

I love the 5 man strategy.

But we can't play 3 pacers unless conditions absolutely favour them. Our pacers are not effective enough to warrant a place on flattish tracks. 2 is enough.

3 spinners then ok.

Ideally India wants to have a solid allrounder like Ben Stokes or Chris Woakes or even Carlos Brathwaite at number 6.. Alas..

I love the 5 man strategy.

But we can't play 3 pacers unless conditions absolutely favour them. Our pacers are not effective enough to warrant a place on flattish tracks. 2 is enough.

3 spinners then ok.

Guess it depends on where we play as well. But i can see what your saying.

They are playing, slightly better than a FC level attack - take out Gabriel, this is not a better attack than Karnatak or Mumbai Ranji team. This luxury won't be there this winter when ENG 'll bring Jimmi, Berbi, Woakes & sadly Moeen.

England no longer has the services of 2 good spinners in Swann and Panesar. I'd back India to beat them this time. India will do well to not throw wickets against Moeen. England's downfall has started.. Doesn't matter how many pacers they bring, it's not going to move an inch here. Spin will decide.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back