West Indies v India | 1st Test | North Sound | Jul 21-25, 2016 | Match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the 5 man strategy.

But we can't play 3 pacers unless conditions absolutely favour them. Our pacers are not effective enough to warrant a place on flattish tracks. 2 is enough.

3 spinners then ok.

3 spinners is ok cause all 3 can bat.

England no longer has the services of 2 good spinners in Swann and Panesar. I'd back India to beat them this time. India will do well to not throw wickets against Moeen. England's downfall has started..

IND should win the series, may be even by the margin if multiple Tests; but that's for the spin trio, not for the batting. I won't be surprised if one of Ash, Mish or Jad ends up being the MoS.

Where are the RR critics?

Dhawan showed the patience and he is reaping the rewards now.

The RR is up to 3.3 now.

Expect it to be nearing 4 by the end of the day especially if Kohli is still playing.

IND should win the series, may be even by the margin if multiple Tests; but that's for the spin trio, not for the batting. I won't be surprised if one of Ash, Mish or Jad ends up being the MoS.

Ashwin it will be. He already has 5 MoS awards in spin shootout series.. Scary on turners. I'm also sure there are not many batsmen in this English line up apart from Cook and Root who can weather the onslaught..

Just keep playing on and on and on and on.

Mindset should be like even if we are 400-2 its not enough and shouldn't get out.

Of course, that won't happen but mindset should be like that.

Where are the RR critics?

Dhawan showed the patience and he is reaping the rewards now.

The RR is up to 3.3 now.

Expect it to be nearing 4 by the end of the day especially if Kohli is still playing.

Last 10 overs is 5 RR. This partnership is 4.10+

Kohli looking good. Should increase his average in this series.

Also suprised Jadeja isn't playing

Just keep playing on and on and on and on.

Mindset should be like even if we are 400-2 its not enough and shouldn't get out.

Of course, that won't happen but mindset should be like that.

Yep, that is the spirit with which the great Fab 4 played.. unfortunately the new generation still doesn't know the pleasure of daddy hundreds..

Whose not in the West Indies squad who would've been there if not for CPL and t20 fortunes?

Basically is the best West Indian team playing?

Whose not in the West Indies squad who would've been there if not for CPL and t20 fortunes?

Idk the answer to this but i find it weird the BBL and CPL are organised when there's a international series going on involving the home team. Not sure if this is because of a lack of window.

West indies test and LOI teams are different.

Guys like Bravo, Pollard, Sammy would be far easier to dismiss than serious bats like Darren Bravo, Blackwood, Samuels, etc.

Ashwin it will be. He already has 5 MoS awards in spin shootout series.. Scary on turners. I'm also sure there are not many batsmen in this English line up apart from Cook and Root who can weather the onslaught..

He also has some useful contributions with the bat which makes it sway further in his favour.

As I said, WI are not at all in a bad situation.

How can you sweep such a full delivery?

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge wicket. Dhawan gone.

If they get Rahane, WI will be into our tail.

Saha is good for 30 runs at max and Ashwin will provide some resistance.

So Kohli and Rahane will resume after tea. Big session. A wicket here and there could make a difference of 150 runs to our total.

We need atleast 350 to save us from embarrassment.

This is why I don't rate India's batting these days.

All tigers on paper.

We may do well next session and be safe but its all so shaky. Never got a assured feeling from them be it SL series or SA series.

All tigers on paper.

We may do well next session and be safe but its all so shaky. Never got a assured feeling from them be it SL series or SA series.

Our guys need to watch videos of Australia at home. They grind, grind and grind oppositions to dust. We have very similar talent. Need to replicate those guys..

Only 3 down and already last recognized pair at the crease.. what is this team selection India? :danish

All tigers on paper.

That's what happens when you play a Keeper who is a dud with the bat.

Lack of proper all rounder in the mold of Stokes, Woakes will continue to hurt India.

Our guys need to watch videos of Australia at home. They grind, grind and grind oppositions to dust. We have very similar talent. Need to replicate those guys..

Pakistan grinds opposition to dust in UAE.

Australia smashes them to pieces in Aus.

We are a bit of wannabees in both sadly.

Wanna grind...wanna smash....do nothing and then expect our spinners to do the job.

The amount of pressure our batting put on our spinners in SA series was insane. 20 runs and if a wicket doesn't fall you would be scared. Cos we had nothing to defend. lol.

I think guys like Rahul and Karun Nair (or someone like them) may end up strengthening their batting down the road.

Ashwin and Mishra's roles are HUGE in batting.

Only 3 down and already last recognized pair at the crease.. what is this team selection India? :danish

No All rounders and a Keeper that really does not inspire much confidence.

Saha has the capacity to play decent with the bat. But the man is a mental midget. He gives it away too easily.

Pakistan grinds opposition to dust in UAE.

Australia smashes them to pieces in Aus.

We are a bit of wannabees in both sadly.

Wanna grind...wanna smash....do nothing and then expect our spinners to do the job.

The amount of pressure our batting put on our spinners in SA series was insane. 20 runs and if a wicket doesn't fall you would be scared. Cos we had nothing to defend. lol.

I think guys like Rahul and Karun Nair (or someone like them) may end up strengthening their batting down the road.

Ashwin and Mishra's roles are HUGE in batting.

Yaar, on this wicket, on day 1; India lost 2 top order wickets to Bishu before Tea - and then you guys were trying to prove me anti-Indian? At least, raise on your human side bro ............

Mind boggling team selection really!

5 batsmen
1 tail-ender keeper
5 bowlers

and no Jadeja???

Yaar, on this wicket, on day 1; India lost 2 top order wickets to Bishu before Tea - and then you guys were trying to prove me anti-Indian? At least, raise on your human side bro ............

Now you understand why we lost so many wickets to mediocre Moeen Ali.. These guys try to over attack and lose it..

Lol why are ppl on the thread acting as if 190 for 3 is somehow a bad position?

Also SIF you were calming everyone down and bigging Pak up in the Pak England match thread and here you're the biggest wrist slitter

5 batsmen
1 tail-ender keeper
5 bowlers

and no Jadeja???
Saha, Ashwin, Mishra and Shami are all capable batsmen, So its not as bad as it is being made out to be. Though they could have gone for a third spinner in Jadeja over a pacer.

Lol why are ppl on the thread acting as if 190 for 3 is somehow a bad position?

Also SIF you were calming everyone down and bigging Pak up in the Pak England match thread and here you're the biggest wrist slitter

Cos Pakistan had a LEAD on a game where the track was gonna deteriorate. I didn't big up Pakistan during 1st innings of either side.

As for wrist slitter, I am one. Guilty as charged. Haha.

But honestly, look at the lineup.

Look at the views of MMHS and several Indian posters about the flimsiness of Indian batting.

I am just showing my annoyance more obviously but the views are the same. Its not like others are saying things are going fine and I am saying something opposite.

If you go back to SA series, I said the EXACT same things.

Even in the SL Aus thread where I said O Keefe is a cause for concern which others were a bit dismissive about. ;-)

Last edited:

5 batsmen
1 tail-ender keeper
5 bowlers

and no Jadeja???

No.6-8 of Indian batting is equivalent to no.7-9 of English team. Saha/ Ashwin/ Mishra combined are equivalent to Woakes/ Moen/ Broad combined. So that clearly means India are one batsmen sort and they are going with an extra pacer.

Saha, Ashwin, Mishra and Shami are all capable batsmen, So its not as bad as it is being made out to be. Though they could have gone for a third spinner in Jadeja over a pacer.

They are not even all-rounders, let alone batsmen.

I do not consider Ashwin an all-rounder just like Wasim Akram was not an all-rounder.

No.6-8 of Indian batting is equivalent to no.7-9 of English team. Saha/ Ashwin/ Mishra combined are equivalent to Woakes/ Moen/ Broad combined. So that clearly means India are one batsmen sort and they are going with an extra pacer.

Saha is not a #6 test batsman and is noway near Bairstow's level.

Now you understand why we lost so many wickets to mediocre Moeen Ali.. These guys try to over attack and lose it..

Spin playing is about dominance, not hitting couple of Biggies. You'll be surprised to know the SR of Azhar, VVS or Dravid against spin, on absolute rank turners. Sometimes in 1998 I believe, IND played couple of Tests against Warne at Chennai & Eden - those are lost from memory for 2001 Series; but if possible try to watch the batting of Azhar, Tendulkar & Dravid in that series; that's call domination against spin, hitting Moeen is not; even if he goes wicket-less.

Saha is not a #6 test batsman and is noway near Bairstow's level.

Yes I know and that is what I am saying. India's no.6-8 batting position is equivalent to England batting position of 7-9 which starts from Moen Ali, Woakes and then Broad.

Spin playing is about dominance, not hitting couple of Biggies. You'll be surprised to know the SR of Azhar, VVS or Dravid against spin, on absolute rank turners. Sometimes in 1998 I believe, IND played couple of Tests against Warne at Chennai & Eden - those are lost from memory for 2001 Series; but if possible try to watch the batting of Azhar, Tendulkar & Dravid in that series; that's call domination against spin, hitting Moeen is not; even if he goes wicket-less.

I understand that.. I'm just saying we're getting out to average spinners by trying to over-attack them. Azhar, Laxman were from another planet (my hometown :D).. no comparison with this generation..

^^, just to add, I won't put my money on this current lot to post total of 136 & individually 52; on that Chennai track against Saqlain, on Day 4 - you have to find why the number is specifically 136 & 52.

Rohit will kill it on these flat tracks and cement his place for a year :))

Haha..Rohit will cement his spot for an year by smashing Windies all through the series even though it's a given that he will fail on Indian spinning pitches until he shows improvement in his game.

The 1998 series is never lost on a Chennai fan,considering there are many from South here they would always remember ripping apart Warnie esp Sachin.

^^, just to add, I won't put my money on this current lot to post total of 136 & individually 52; on that Chennai track against Saqlain, on Day 4 - you have to find why the number is specifically 136 & 52.

Of course, only god could have played such an innings...

Oh wait, he did :p

Seems like only the support staffs of both the teams watching this game at the ground.. Why do we even tour WI and that too for test matches?

Seems like only the support staffs of both the teams watching this game at the ground.. Why do we even tour WI and that too for test matches?

damned if you do damned if you don't.. Are we supposed to play only at home and Australia and England?

damned if you do damned if you don't.. Are we supposed to play only at home and Australia and England?

Well cricketing wise there is hardly any options.. Few countries play so we don't really have options.. But seeing the crowd or "lack of it" feels so depressing.. Could have played 2 tests and 3 ODIs and 2T20s rather than 4 tests that would have made more money for both WICB and BCCI and we would have atleast seen some crowds in stadiums..

Well cricketing wise there is hardly any options.. Few countries play so we don't really have options.. But seeing the crowd or "lack of it" feels so depressing.. Could have played 2 tests and 3 ODIs and 2T20s rather than 4 tests that would have made more money for both WICB and BCCI and we would have atleast seen some crowds in stadiums..

It's a weekday mate. Pretty sure the weekend will draw more crowds..

That should not be the mindset bhai. Your average will take of itself if you do things right.

It won't be his mindset he's too good for that. I am saying it as a big fan of him, his test average should be 50 plus by the end of his career :).

An Indian poster please tell me why isn't Jadeja playing? I am fan of his so I may be a little biased but surely his bowling could have been useful on this pitch

[MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] - What do you think about our spinners on this pitch?

Can they breakthrough or it will be a long hard toil against WI?

And what about pacers?

An Indian poster please tell me why isn't Jadeja playing? I am fan of his so I may be a little biased but surely his bowling could have been useful on this pitch

Hmm.. Mishra is a little slow to my liking.. Jadeja is a sharp spinner and definitely would have added more value with the bat too... Perhaps.........

If Dhoni was Captain, Jaddu will be playing today.

Kohli seems to be a fan of fast bowlers. I knew he would choose a pacer over Jadeja.

TBH, I would have played Jadeja over Yadav today.

[MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] - What do you think about our spinners on this pitch?

Can they breakthrough or it will be a long hard toil against WI?

And what about pacers?

Think we should be ok.. Doubt WI players have the temperament to bat long so they will eventually throw their wickets away.. I maybe wrong though don't have much knowledge about current WI team..

Are WI serious in playing tests? Why bowl this pie-chucker at such a crucial stage? Do they realize all they need is 1 wicket to rip this match open? :facepalm:

Kumble should challenge Kohli to score big here. He has a tendency to throw it away just after his 100..

Kumble should challenge Kohli to score big here. He has a tendency to throw it away just after his 100..

Yea like to see kohli score 175+ here maybe even a 200. He looks set to do it, and maybe if he lasts today, then he will be able to do it.

Kohli scored 76 runs in the last series in WI. He already crossed that in one knock. :))

No doubt he will do very well in England too.

Kohli scored 76 runs in the last series in WI. He already crossed that in one knock. :))

No doubt he will do very well in England too.

Nice to see you after a long time :) Hopefully he will do well in England. They've been our bogey team for some time now..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back