Australia (100/2) defeat Bangladesh (140/8) by 28 runs [DLS method] in the Super 8 game of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The T20 World Cup 2024 is progressing into the Super Eight stage, with a thrilling encounter set between the formidable Australia and Bangladesh. The two teams will lock horns in the 44th match of the tournament, scheduled to take place at the renowned Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in North Sound, Antigua, on Friday, June 21.

This match marks the inaugural Super Eight face-off for both teams. Bangladesh, despite having some shaky moments, is determined to deliver its finest performance. They understand the necessity to bring their A-game if they aspire to outshine the Australians. On the other hand, Australia, which has been showcasing excellent form, will strive to maintain its momentum and deliver another impressive performance.

Squads:

Bangladesh
Squad: Tanzid Hasan, Litton Das(w), Najmul Hossain Shanto(c), Shakib Al Hasan, Towhid Hridoy, Mahmudullah, Jaker Ali, Tanzim Hasan Sakib, Rishad Hossain, Taskin Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman, Mahedi Hasan, Tanvir Islam, Shoriful Islam, Soumya Sarkar

Australia Squad: Travis Head, David Warner, Mitchell Marsh(c), Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Tim David, Matthew Wade(w), Mitchell Starc, Nathan Ellis, Adam Zampa, Ashton Agar, Josh Inglis, Cameron Green, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Mitch Marsh (Australia Captain) pre-match Press Conference - 19th June 2024

[Reporter:]

Combination – three quicks tomorrow – unless we sort of see something?

[Mitch Marsh:]

Yeah, we'll probably announce that at the toss, Benny.

And just yourself with you bowling. Will you be available to bowl?

I'll be available to bowl, yeah. With the line-up that we've got, I don't really necessarily see a need for me to bowl, but I think it's really important in this format to have options and we're blessed with plenty of those.

It's 177 last time against Bangladesh, a pretty emotional ending, how much confidence does that give you knowing it's going to be a pretty similar line-up?

Ah yeah, look It's a fond memory, but this is a different format in a different country and pretty different conditions. That was a beautiful week at Pune, but we're obviously looking forward to the challenge of playing against Bangladesh, that's for sure.

Do you feel like you've got all the lights on you and you've got 19 microphones there in front of you?

Does it feel like the pointy end of the tournament has started?

Yeah, it certainly does. I think we're really proud of the way we've gone about it to get to this point. And there's a lot of good cricket teams left in this tournament so we're certainly excited to get started in the Super 8s.

Just general observations as a captain, how have you found it through your first World Cup?

Oh, look I've thoroughly enjoyed it. As I've said multiple times, I feel very lucky with the group that we've got, the amount of experience we've got within our team and also our staff. We've got an incredible group of staff that help us prepare as best we can and that certainly makes my job a lot easier.

And then just kind of physically, like you bowled yesterday for the first time in a while. Are you feeling, okay?

Yeah, actually physically feel good. It’s always nice to have a bit of break from bowling and I often joke about that, but yeah - Stoin and I often talk about it as all-rounders, we love being in the game. And as I said before, it's really important in this format with some of the teams that are coming up against us to have as many options as we possibly can.

I was just asking about the fielding in the last game. What's your take on it? Is it something that you guys will address?

I mean, yeah, it was obviously not our best effort in the field. I think I dropped three of the catches, so I take the brunt of that. But I think the thing we speak about is that we've got a lot of trust in our group. We had an off night in the field and this group loves to stand up in big moments and they all start now - so I've got a lot of trust in the group.

Australia have a heavy pace bowling attack as we know but in this World Cup the Bangladeshi pacers are also doing good; you must have been aware of that. So, what's your take on the Bangladeshi pacers just before the game?

Well, they've got a lot of experience, a few young guys and they are a good team. There is a reason they have made the Super 8s.

So, we are looking forward to the challenge.

Do you think they can make a challenge to the Aussie bowlers - like David Warner and the others, the Bangladeshi Bowlers?

Hopefully not.

[Reporter;]

Bangladesh are a team I suppose, have a bit of self-belief against Australia, the series win in 2021 I think and winning a Test match a few years before that as well. So, you're coming up against a side that I guess has that belief against Australia?

Yeah, well I think as I said, for any team in the World Cup to make the Super 8s They're obviously playing some good cricket and we know in these conditions that Bangladesh are a strong team. So, we've got a lot of respect for them and hopefully we can bring our A game.

Bengalis going to get pounded here

Depends on the pitch I guess. If pitch is sluggish, BD may give a bit of a fight (like they did in South Africa game). If pitch is flat, Aussies should get a big win.

I am a fan of Australian cricket team. I support them since 1999. So, I don't care who win today.

I hope two from Australia, Bangladesh, and Afghanistan will qualify for Super 8.

Too much firepower in Aus lineup. Any one of Marsh, Maxwell, Tim David, Travis Head can single handedly blow away BD.

I would probably drop Jaker Ali and strengthen bowling.

Too much firepower in Aus lineup. Any one of Marsh, Maxwell, Tim David, Travis Head can single handedly blow away BD.

Bowling is okay. If they can't do well with these 5 bowlers, 1 extra bowler is unlikely to do anything.

Batting needs to be strengthened. I think Jaker should play.

Australia will pummel Bangladesh. Would be fun for the game if Australia bat first. Absolute carnage waiting for BD bowlers.

Bangladesh won't dare sledging aussies lol All their sledging reserved for Nepal

Bangladesh did sledging to Australia when they toured BD in 2021.

BD won that T20I series 4-1.

To be fair, Aussies had to play on Mirpur paddy field pitch. Not easy for a SENA team (even Jos Butler's England lost 0-3 there).

Bangladesh did sledging to Australia when they toured BD in 2021.

BD won that T20I series 4-1.

To be fair, Aussies had to play on Mirpur paddy field pitch. Not easy for a SENA team (even Jos Butler's England lost 0-3 there).
Who played in that series. Alex carey, Josh philippe, Moises henriques, Ashton turner, Andrew pie. Mitch marsh weak on turning pitch. Basically a nothing batting line up.

Yeah. But, BD still lost by a huge margin.

Aussies scored close to 400. BD scored around 330.
Yeah, Tbf Australia kinda got an easy time to semi's. Bangladesh is an easy win. Afghanistan scare won't happen 2x and India game, don't think India will win, this current team isn't that strong or well it is, its not really suited to t20.

Yeah, Tbf Australia kinda got an easy time to semi's. Bangladesh is an easy win. Afghanistan scare won't happen 2x and India game, don't think India will win, this current team isn't that strong or well it is, its not really suited to t20.

Indeed.

Let's see what happens.

If BD win the toss, they should field first. Easier to chase than to set a target against the Aussies.

You are correct but they need to try. Can't just give up before the game.
Every team is trying, however ik the psyche of a few teams.

1) Pakistan wasn't even here to play the world cup, it was a holiday, this whole upset nonsense was crapola. It was clear they didn't even wish to compete besides a select few like naseem, Rauf, Amir etc.

2) The problem with Bangladesh is lack of confidence, Unlike Afghanistan that never backs down and always tries their best even if its against India or other teams, they atleast try, Granted they switch off usually and panic but that's ingame. Bamgaldesh usually doesn't even know why they win games, when they do, they themselves are shocked. Only team they never back down against is India surprisingly.

3) The problem with South Africa is chocking. They got the skills, and the experience but when it matters they most they just forget how to even play cricket.

4) NZ was more interested in league then national duty as well as representing seniority, which costed them.

5) India has given way way too much respect to kohli and rohit even though its clear as daylights these 2 are done and dusted for t20. Thank God kohli got out when he did otherwise imagine if he batted through the innings lol.

Only teams that aren't pestered with chocking mentality, playing with washed up has beens or aren't woefully outmatched in terms of skills and experience is West Indies, England And Australia.

The rest all have problems.

1) Pakistan wasn't even here to play the world cup, it was a holiday, this whole upset nonsense was crapola. It was clear they didn't even wish to compete besides a select few like naseem, Rauf, Amir etc.

2) The problem with Bangladesh is lack of confidence, Unlike Afghanistan that never backs down and always tries their best even if its against India or other teams, they atleast try, Granted they switch off usually and panic but that's ingame. Bamgaldesh usually doesn't even know why they win games, when they do, they themselves are shocked. Only team they never back down against is India surprisingly.

3) The problem with South Africa is chocking. They got the skills, and the experience but when it matters they most they just forget how to even play cricket.

4) NZ was more interested in league then national duty as well as representing seniority, which costed them.

5) India has given way way too much respect to kohli and rohit even though its clear as daylights these 2 are done and dusted for t20. Thank God kohli got out when he did otherwise imagine if he batted through the innings lol.

Only teams that aren't pestered with chocking mentality, playing with washed up has beens or aren't woefully outmatched in terms of skills and experience is West Indies, England And Australia.

Oh and you can add usa as well. Their outmatched in skills but mentality their ever present

I feel like confidence issue has been rectified slightly under the current leadership. Biggest evidence of that is them making it to Super 8.

If it was the BD from one year ago, BD probably would've lost badly to Sri Lanka and even to Nepal and Netherlands.

Regarding getting shocked about wins, I don't think that's true. Bangladesh have defeated big teams at home often over the past 10 years. They drew home Test series against England and Australia. They beat Aussies 4-1 at a home T20I series and also England 3-0. There were home successes. But, away performances have been poor and they need to work on that.

Predicting the Aussies to hammer Ban today with a big NRR as well ! As you said, they just dont know how to win. With the following and support structure they have - they have been the most underachieving team.

Predicting the Aussies to hammer Ban today with a big NRR as well ! As you said, they just dont know how to win. With the following and support structure they have - they have been the most underachieving team.

If they do not know how to win, how did they defeat Jos Butler's England 3-0 at home? --> https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/england-in-bangladesh-2022-23-1351394

Aussies lost 4-1 to BD in 2021 ---> https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...sh-vs-australia-5th-t20i-1270838/match-report

India lost 1-2 in BD less than 2 years ago --> https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...gladesh-vs-india-2nd-odi-1340846/match-report

Bangladesh are #8 in world cricket. They are somewhere in between top teams and associates.

If bangladesh gets a bit iof turning track, i m sure they will make things difficult for Aussies, all they need is a self belief!

Possible.

Aussies lost a series in Mirpur, Dhaka on sluggish surfaces. In the 5th game of the series, Aussies were bowled out for around 60. BD won that series 4-1.

If they do not know how to win, how did they defeat Jos Butler's England 3-0 at home? --> https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/england-in-bangladesh-2022-23-1351394

Aussies lost 4-1 to BD in 2021 ---> https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...sh-vs-australia-5th-t20i-1270838/match-report

India lost 1-2 in BD less than 2 years ago --> https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...gladesh-vs-india-2nd-odi-1340846/match-report

Bangladesh are #8 in world cricket. They are somewhere in between top teams and associates.
Yes, what I meant was they are OK at home and also these were almost doctored itches, especially the Aus series. Those pitches were nagin turners LOl ! I dont mind though. But their away record and performance in WC's has been miserable

Australia have won the toss and have opted to field

Bangladesh
(Playing XI): Tanzid Hasan, Litton Das(w), Najmul Hossain Shanto(c), Shakib Al Hasan, Towhid Hridoy, Mahmudullah, Mahedi Hasan, Rishad Hossain, Taskin Ahmed, Tanzim Hasan Sakib, Mustafizur Rahman

Australia (Playing XI): Travis Head, David Warner, Mitchell Marsh(c), Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Tim David, Matthew Wade(w), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Adam Zampa, Josh Hazlewood

Bangladeshi anthem is too long here. They should shorten it.

The second half is not necessary. They are playing the extended version. LOL.

Bangla tigers look like a scared kittens against starc. Deep in the crease with low backlift.

BD need to get a move on now. 150 is needed minimum (to give bowlers something to defend).

Looks like management thought like you.

They brought in Mahedi for Jaker.

India are playing cricket for almost 60 years and they get pampered by ICC like a baby. Yet, they can't win a silverware since 2013. May not win one in a while.
We already have 2nd best ICC trophy behind Australia. Ouch seem like you are really hurt with my comments.

We already have 2nd best ICC trophy behind Australia. Ouch seem like you are really hurt with my comments.

I don't get hurt by Indians. I put most Indians on my ignore list. But, you are comical. So, I keep you unignored.

Recently they lost to USA who are not even top 20. .

After 25 year they still dont have anything to show.

In T20, these stuff can happen.

Uganda beat Zimbabwe. USA beat Pakistan. Namibia beat SL. It can happen.

BTW, USA is definitely among top 20. They have ODI status now. Don't be ignorant.

Powerplay is done.

BD - 39/1 (6 overs). Run-rate of 6.50.

Expensive 1st over from Cummins. 12 off it.

In T20, these stuff can happen.

Uganda beat Zimbabwe. USA beat Pakistan. Namibia beat SL. It can happen.

BTW, USA is definitely among top 20. They have ODI status now. Don't be ignorant.
They can won one of match but win the three match series was not just Fluke.

Just like Pakistan vs USA. USA beat Pakistan twice so it was not a Fluke at all .

Good analysis and interesting that BD never back down against India. How do you think BD are against Pakistan? Are they scared when they play Pakistan or they never back down against Pakistan as well?

BD should target the 5th bowler's overs. Those may get bowled by Maxwell, Stoinis, and Marsh.

If Afghanistan or Bangladesh can upset and won game against Australia then they will most likely out of the semifinals .

Back