Australia comfortably placed on 346/5 at end of Day 1 of the 1st Test against Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
New ball is available. When will they take it now that is the real question.

Shaheen would you like the keeper to stand up to the stumps for you?

lol indian should not be saying that
With naseem ihsanullah pak bowling attack is potent enough our bowlers are injured and this is not a bad outing today.
Naseem is awful in test and has had zero impact.

Ihsanullah is unproven and would also be smashed in Australia

lol indian should not be saying that
With naseem ihsanullah pak bowling attack is potent enough our bowlers are injured and this is not a bad outing today.
No one care about who are not playing. This pace attacks is full of trundlers

How can you be hyped up to become the next best thing since Wasim Akram and now bowl at Irfan Pathan’s pace? Within 4 years

Naseem is awful in test and has had zero impact.

Ihsanullah is unproven and would also be smashed in Australia
Naseem is probably the type of bowler that will be successful in test because of his consistent line and length

Pathetic effort by Shaheen with Australia on the ropes for this innings!

Im shocked with the way shaheen is bowling today. I dont know whether its fatigue or whether its the pressure of being in the limelight. Is the title of pakistans premier fast bowler getting to his head a little bit?

Pak did well today. Shaheen and Faheem were poor, Jamal and Agha performed above expectations and Shahzad has been bit unlucky.

On a whole this has been a very decent performance by the bowling unit and the captain.

Sure we have still been carted around and missed quite a few big chances but compared to our usual outings this is the most encouraging day of bowling in Aus in a long time.

Shahzad has been very solid tbh even without the rewards he's opened the door for other bowlers to pounce.

I have to say this has been a day of encouragement for Pak today. Don't get it twisted we will probably still get hammered but we were always going to. It's about moving forward and this is the right start.

Im shocked with the way shaheen is bowling today. I dont know whether its fatigue or whether its the pressure of being in the limelight. Is the title of pakistans premier fast bowler getting to his head a little bit?
Fatigue,injury all are excuse .he has lost his pace and dont think now he can bowl consistently above 138 + in test cricket . He can bowl 4 over in T20 but not in test cricket . He is not 23 year old but definitely around 27 years

Australia will score another 125+ run tomorrow which means Pakistan only can draw this test match

Australia will score another 125+ run tomorrow which means Pakistan only can draw this test match
Aussies could declare tomorrow on 346

On this wicket, where there is still assistance for the seam bowlers, Australia tall and quicker bowlers will have a field day

On a whole this has been a very decent performance by the bowling unit and the captain.

Sure we have still been carted around and missed quite a few big chances but compared to our usual outings this is the most encouraging day of bowling in Aus in a long time.

Shahzad has been very solid tbh even without the rewards he's opened the door for other bowlers to pounce.

I have to say this has been a day of encouragement for Pak today. Don't get it twisted we will probably still get hammered but we were always going to. It's about moving forward and this is the right start.
Better than what people were expecting

Our pacers have been mediocre today again. It's been a long time since I have seen the opposition 4 down for just 50 runs in Tests against Pakistani bowlers.

Pak cricket is at an all time low at the moment.

It's effectively at minnow level now

I still can't believe cricket Australia sanctioned 3 test matches v Pak, knowing that all 3 games will be incredibly one sided

David Warner put on a show on the first day of the opening Test against Pakistan in Perth with a scintillating century.

SCORECARD
In a stellar kick-off to his farewell tour, David Warner silenced all critics about his Test cricket form with a remarkable 164 off 211 balls on the opening day of the first Test against Pakistan.

En route to his incredible innings, Warner entered the top five run-getters for Australia in Test cricket, leapfrogging Matthew Hayden and Michael Clarke. In the all-time list, his big hundred helped him surpass fellow swashbucklers Sir Viv Richards and Virender Sehwag.

Warner now stands fifth among Australia's highest Test run-getters with 8651 runs, trailing only Steve Smith, Steve Waugh, Allan Border and Ricky Ponting.

1702552786782.png

Warner justified Pat Cummins' decision to bat first on the Perth surface as he came out with intent. He raced to a fifty off just 41 balls, stringing a century stand with Usman Khawaja that came at a brisk pace.

While his fellow teammates were guilty of not capitalising on good starts – Smith was the next-highest scorer on the day with only 41 runs – Warner went on to notch up his 26th Test hundred that was followed by his trademark leap and celebration.

After reaching his century, the 37-year-old David Warner received a couple of lifelines – first, Khurram Shahzad missed a catching opportunity, and then Sarfaraz Ahmed failed to execute a stumping. Warner made Pakistan pay by piling on the runs and notching up 150.

The visitors finally got the better of Warner by deploying the short-ball tactic that saw the Aussie opener hole out in the deep a few overs before the end of the day's play. Mitchell Marsh and Alex Carey then navigated the remaining overs without further setbacks, guiding Australia to a commanding position with 346 runs on the board and five wickets down.

ICC

Need quick wickets tomorrow and bat well.

Probably hammering incoming, how quickly can they adapt to conditions?. Historically badly

Pakistan bowling attack is medium Pacers and trulendlers
The "Selectors" left out Dahani, Hasnain, Usama Mir who were ideal for this series while waseem jr is on the bench.

Ihsanullah was ideal for this tour if he wasnt injured.

in an ideal world having Naseem, Ihsanullah, Dahani, Hasnain alongside SSA and waseem jr and usama Mir would of given us the ideal attack for this tour.

I didnt include Haris Rauf as he has no desire to play test matches.

we have plenty of upcoming pace bowlers like zeeshan zameer, Arshad Iqbal, Muhammad Amir etc

It is not only about selecting domestic performers but also about who has the attributes to win a particular game or series.

The problem with all selectors in pakistan is that they dont understand not all players have the ability to play international cricket some are domestic level regardless of how good their performances are.

Even an armchair supporter knows you need pace and wicket taking bowlers in australia

Faheem is a limited bowler but despite his limitations he still bowled better than Shaheen today.

Shaheen was awful and looked like the weak link of the bowling attack.

David Warner produced an outstanding 164 on the first day of play of the first Test at Perth Stadium, to give Australia an ideal start to the Benaud-Qadir Trophy. The home side chalked up 346 runs in 84 overs while losing five scalps in the day, which all came courtesy of the Pakistan pace attack. The visitors, who fielded a bowling attack of four pace options, saw each of their fast bowlers return with at least a wicket each.

Pat Cummins won the toss and elected to bat first on the Perth wicket. Left-handed openers Usman Khawaja and David Warner batted through the first session to give a solid start to Australia, who crossed the 100-run mark without loss of a wicket.

The 126-run commanding partnership mounted pressure on the visitors until left-arm pacer Shaheen Shah Afridi struck to take out Khawaja, who had to walk back to the pavilion after scoring 41 from 98 including six boundaries.

Next batter in, Marnus Labuschagne managed 16 off 25, with just a solitary four, before right-arm seamer Faheem Ashraf trapped him LBW. Warner was then joined by Steven Smith, who walked out to bat in the 38th over with the scorecard reading 159-2.

The two batted together to add 79 more to the total with Smith contributing 31 off 60 deliveries, including four boundaries. He was caught behind off right-arm pacer Khurram Shahzad, marking the debutant’s maiden Test wicket.

Following the fall of the third wicket, Travis Head got off the mark with a boundary on the second ball he faced, setting the tone for the rest of his knock. He hit a quick 53-ball 40, showcasing six fours, which was cut short when he was caught by Salman Ali Agha off Aamir Jamal’s bowling for the latter’s first Test scalp.

Warner, who remained on the crease for the majority of the day’s play, struck the most noteworthy performance of the day. He constructed a solid knock that yielded 164 runs off 211 deliveries, smashing 16 boundaries and four maximums.

Aamir struck again, shortly after removing Head, to claim the prized wicket of Warner, dismissing him on the last ball of the 75th over.

All-rounder Mitch Marsh (15 not out, 31b, 2x4s) and wicketkeeper-batter Alex Carey (14 not out, 32b, 1x4) remained on the crease, with Australia at 346-5 in 84 overs at the close of play on the first day.

The second day’s play will resume at Perth Stadium from 7:20 PKT on 15 December.

Scores in brief:

Australia 346-5, 84 overs (David Warner 164, Usman Khawaja 41, Travis Head 40; Aamir Jamal 2-63, Khurram Shahzad 1-62, Faheem Ashraf 1-65, Shaheen Shah Afridi 1-75)

Good fight back from Pakistan. But Australia already has enough to put Pak under pressure.

Pakistan have not done badly considering the toothless bowling attack and poor fielding.I was expecting Australia to be 350-0 at the close of play.

Pakistan have not done badly considering the toothless bowling attack and poor fielding.I was expecting Australia to be 350-0 at the close of play.
The bounce i saw we will be out by 150...Khurram was bowling 130kph and shaheen 132...they been bowling 150kph slightly diff

Fatigue,injury all are excuse .he has lost his pace and dont think now he can bowl consistently above 138 + in test cricket . He can bowl 4 over in T20 but not in test cricket . He is not 23 year old but definitely around 27 years
He is burnt out.He has been playing all formats of cricket including county cricket non stop.Same goes for Naseem

Travis head and Warner will be disappointed to throw their wickets away against an innocuous club bowler.

I don't know how this jamal guy was selected I would have definetly picked wasim and mir hamza over jamal and agha.

This jamal guy is worse than musa khan and imran khan jnr.

Shahzad did OK seems that workhorse type in mould of Ryan Harris and Peter siddle but is probably down on them pace wise hopefully regular games he can get his pace up to 140kph

Faheem ashraf is another crap selection agha or a proper full time spinner in nauman ali should have played.

I know agha is playing

But due to the defeatist mindset they have put to many batsmen in the team and left the bowlers having their workloads increased.

Haris rauf probably made the correct decision skipping this series because he would have been over bowled despite wahab riaz saying he wouldn't.

Aus is firmly in control. The pitch has so much pace and bounce that sus bowlers will be a handful. Only good thing for pak is the game should go on for 4 or 5 days.

229/5 in 59 overs in last 2 sessions was good but the damage was already done by bowling all over the place before Lunch . I expect Australia to get somewhere around 425-450 . With Faheem batting at 8 , they should back themselves to score 330 . As pointed out by me yesterday , poor selection playing Faheem as the 4th bowling option , he should have been the 5th . The 2 allrounders bowled 36 overs & took 1 for 135 - don't think any decent Test team can afford to play with just 3 proper bowlers !!!

I have seen better Pakistan teams losing to Australia in Australia. So the expectation has to be low with this team. But with a record 0-14 that is not an option for Pakistan. Least they should do is eking out a draw.

Travis head and Warner will be disappointed to throw their wickets away against an innocuous club bowler.

I don't know how this jamal guy was selected I would have definetly picked wasim and mir hamza over jamal and agha.

This jamal guy is worse than musa khan and imran khan jnr.

Shahzad did OK seems that workhorse type in mould of Ryan Harris and Peter siddle but is probably down on them pace wise hopefully regular games he can get his pace up to 140kph
Those two wickets belong to Shan Masood if that is his idea to station those fielders. He played with ego of both batsmen. Warner wicket was a total bonus. That was way down the legside.

Considering the slow outfield and the slightly 2 paced surface , this has been a decent show by Australia.

Pakistan have been pretty decent. They could still have been 370/0 .

But Perth also swings the most among Australian venues and PAK exploited it pretty well considering their limitations.

Can thet come back tomorrow and limit the damage is the question.

I think Pakistan will take that score now they need to try and bowl them out for around 420ish.

The delivery to Steve Smith was an absolute beauty.

Still Australia's day despite half the side gone. Anything above 425 odd will most likely bat us out of a win, which is likely with Marsh and Carey still there and a capable tail.

Shazad has bowled well, good first day out for him. Shaheen not at his best, pace is still down and again looking for a magic ball too often. Faheem and agha have been decent enough, Jamal chipped in nicely at the end after a shaky start.

Shan may not have too much batting ability but is clearly better at strategising than Babar which bought Warner's wicket. Maybe the confidence in his plans working can kick that average up a bit.

I honestly expected Australia to be at 500 for 2 by the end of the day with the way the openers were batting. This is a pretty decent comeback by the bowlers, hopefully they can get them under 430 all out.

I honestly expected Australia to be at 500 for 2 by the end of the day with the way the openers were batting. This is a pretty decent comeback by the bowlers, hopefully they can get them under 430 all out.
First session tomorrow will decide the test match

Still Australia's day despite half the side gone. Anything above 425 odd will most likely bat us out of a win, which is likely with Marsh and Carey still there and a capable tail.

Shazad has bowled well, good first day out for him. Shaheen not at his best, pace is still down and again looking for a magic ball too often. Faheem and agha have been decent enough, Jamal chipped in nicely at the end after a shaky start.

Shan may not have too much batting ability but is clearly better at strategising than Babar which bought Warner's wicket. Maybe the confidence in his plans working can kick that average up a bit.
Pakistan will loose or get a lucky draw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back