4. Lawrence Rowe
5. Allan Border
6. Shahid Afridi
7. Ben Foakes
8. Saqlain Mustaq
9. Pat Cummins
10. Andy Roberts
11. Jashprit Bumrah
Confused in captaincy between Border and Smith. Any advice?

Border. legend of the highest degree who leads from the front. Probs home-town bias as Smith is one of the greatest captains

AB easily mate.

Shoaib is going to kill his 'greats' like Babar, Sanath, Hussey, Stokes, Kusal etc

Imagine having no ATG bats FC, must suck

Alas Shoaib was killed by a nobody like Ross Taylor who doesn't even feature in this draft and you give him a chance against Sanath Jayasuriya who murdered him for 253 runs in a test match in Pakistan. Ok I believe you

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/14949/scorecard/64105/pakistan-vs-sri-lanka-1st-test-sri-lanka-tour-of-pakistan-2004-05

Shoaib is going to kill his 'greats' like Babar, Sanath, Hussey, Stokes, Kusal etc

Imagine having no ATG bats FC, must suck

I know right :23: :23:

Hopefully it is a match in UAE so we can have at least 3 days of cricket :yk

Mitchell Johnson might be the first guy in FDPs team to hit a test century or double with the ball in UAE :yk

Bunch of nobodies - Kusal, Stokes have serious 4th innings knocks that even supposedly the gawd of cricket at #4 in his team doesn't have in 200 test matches :vk2

Alas Shoaib was killed by a nobody like Ross Taylor who doesn't even feature in this draft and you give him a chance against Sanath Jayasuriya who murdered him for 253 runs in a test match in Pakistan. Ok I believe you

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/14949/scorecard/64105/pakistan-vs-sri-lanka-1st-test-sri-lanka-tour-of-pakistan-2004-05

If you think that Taylor game is relevant i can't say anything. Shoaib was obviously done by now. It would be like Johnson bowling to babar now.

And Shoaib had good figures in that game, took 8 wickets so I don't know what you are saying

So my team
1.Graeme Smith
2. Virendra Sehwag
3. Richie Richardson
4. Lawrence Rowe
5. Allan Border
6. Shahid Afridi
7. Ben Foakes
8. Saqlain Mustaq
9. Pat Cummins
10. Andy Roberts
11. Jashprit Bumrah
Confused in captaincy between Border and Smith. Any advice?

Cummins can probably bat 6 in that team though

Mitchell Johnson and akhtar are similar level bowlers,cant ignore longevity and impact,otherwise ryan harris will be considered a better bowler than anderson.

I have said repeatedly he had a GOAT peak, especially vs SA after this, no debate there. Shoaib is better because he was way more consistent. If you are less consistent than Shoaib you have issues. The averages prove it

I come from Pakistan - I know Shoaib is a legend. He had everything to do better than whatever Johnson achieved - for a longer period of time in fact. But his performances don't really add up. He could have done a lotttt more.

Cummins can probably bat 6 in that team though

I am looking forward to shahid vs kuldeep and narine Bhaijan. Your pacer will be quietly dealt by smith and border while richardson is going to murder anything short. And saqlain will own sachin just like he did in 99.

Last edited:
But you don't have him in the team. You have the chubby Yadav instead :)))

Because Yadav has proven to be a bowler who is not dependent on pitch.

As far as Shoaib vs Johnson is concerned, you can try to give it any twist as you like, Shoaib is way ahead, you can have a poll if you want to be proven wrong conclusively i dare you :yk

I am looking forward to shahid vs kuldeep and narine Bhaijan. Your pacer will be quietly dealt by smith and border while richardson is going to murder anything short. And saqlain will own sachin just like he did in 99.

Saqlain coped a lot of phainty from Sachin. It was a balanced rivalry.

I think we will get Afridi, my spinners are not traditional spinners they will outfox Afridi.

But i will prefer Archer/Ambrose as soon as Afridi arrives. Quite sure he wont cross single digits in both innings. I am more concerned about Sehwag.

I think we will get Afridi, my spinners are not traditional spinners they will outfox Afridi.

But i will prefer Archer/Ambrose as soon as Afridi arrives. Quite sure he wont cross single digits in both innings. I am more concerned about Sehwag.

By the way apart from banter afridi the test batsman is very underrated. Played some gems in subcontinent pitches. Not consistent but stokes is also not consistent and he is rated highly.

Ponting vs peak saqlain can get ugly give his struggles against bhajji. Saqlain is the goat dusra bowler.

By the way apart from banter afridi the test batsman is very underrated. Played some gems in subcontinent pitches. Not consistent but stokes is also not consistent and he is rated highly.

Yeah could have played him as opener just for fun but you have Sehwag already and SMith was also not defensive at all so would be overkill.

Afridi at 6 can be used strategically for counter attack. But of course never have serious hopes.

Ponting vs peak saqlain can get ugly give his struggles against bhajji. Saqlain is the goat dusra bowler.

Actually Saqlain isn;t as great a test spinner as he was an ODI spinner, stats don't lie.

Bhajji seemed to have Ponting's number otherwise he was quite good against Murali.

Not as great as warne and murali. But given overall performance and his performance against the batting line ups not far off to. He was more successful tha warne and murali in india and more successful in australia than murali. The only spinner who went against the indian batting of late 90's and early 00's and came back not only unscathed but triumphant.

even if Ponting gets out Lara is the goat player of spin
Ofcourse. Still i believe saqlain at his peak actually was a tougher challenge to the best players than murali or warne. Of course i am not talking about overall performance. Any way.

Not as great as warne and murali. But given overall performance and his performance against the batting line ups not far off to. He was more successful tha warne and murali in india and more successful in australia than murali. The only spinner who went against the indian batting of late 90's and early 00's and came back not only unscathed but triumphant.

even if Ponting gets out Lara is the goat player of spin

Yeah I mean it will make for a good contest but I hate to keep repeating I have managed to stack a super heavyweight middle order. These are literally The 3 stand out batsmen of an entire era.

Saqlain with all due respect, isn't even among Top 25 greatest spinners in tests or top 5 from his era.

Yeah I mean it will make for a good contest but I hate to keep repeating I have managed to stack a super heavyweight middle order. These are literally The 3 stand out batsmen of an entire era.

Saqlain with all due respect, isn't even among Top 25 greatest spinners in tests or top 5 from his era.
as i said the best against the best batting line ups in their dens. Better than both murali and warne from that point.

as i said the best against the best batting line ups in their dens. Better than both murali and warne from that point.

I love Saqi though he's a great guy and one of the most likeable ex Pakistani cricketers

Let's start the voting. Participants to vote first [MENTION=151648]therealAB[/MENTION]

AB Fan Team XI

Barry Richards
Gordon Greenidge
Cheteshwar Pujara
Viv Richards(c)
AB de Villiers(wkt)
Rassie Van der dussen
Andrew Flintoff
James Pattinson
Ravi Ashwin
Ryan Harris
Allan Donald

AB Fan Team XI

Barry Richards
Gordon Greenidge
Cheteshwar Pujara
Viv Richards(c)
AB de Villiers(wkt)
Rassie Van der dussen
Andrew Flintoff
James Pattinson
Ravi Ashwin
Ryan Harris
Allan Donald
My favorite team of the draft. Though having Barry as the first pick was almost cheating. I mean the 1970 cut off date was to ensure not selecting south african players of that era.

AB Fan Team XI

Barry Richards
Gordon Greenidge
Cheteshwar Pujara
Viv Richards(c)
AB de Villiers(wkt)
Rassie Van der dussen
Andrew Flintoff
James Pattinson
Ravi Ashwin
Ryan Harris
Allan Donald

First of all congratulations on selecting a great team.

Batting - One of the best in the competition, probably 2nd or 3rd best

Bowling - GOAT fast bowler , but otherwise looks bit bland, should have picked another spinner to be considered complete

Nonetheless a team Bhaijaan XI cannot wait to take on :)

My favorite team of the draft. Though having Barry as the first pick was almost cheating. I mean the 1970 cut off date was to ensure not selecting south african players of that era.

As per rule, any player that debuted above 1 Jan 1970 is acceptable. Barry debuted 21 days later. So, I have gone by rules only.

First of all congratulations on selecting a great team.

Batting - One of the best in the competition, probably 2nd or 3rd best

Bowling - GOAT fast bowler , but otherwise looks bit bland, should have picked another spinner to be considered complete

Nonetheless a team Bhaijaan XI cannot wait to take on :)

Thank you Bhaijaan. On their day, Pattinson, Harris and Flintoff can win matches alone but I agree that alongside Donald, one more ATG pacer would have helped. However, Flintoff as fifth bowler still makes up a solid pace attack.

An interesting point is that I have a batting till 10, so lower order runs will be very handy for me.

Last edited:
As per rule, any player that debuted above 1 Jan 1970 is acceptable. Barry debuted 21 days later. So, I have gone by rules only.

that's true. But you really did benifit from the barry selection. Their are plenty of bowlers with great reputation within 50 tests. But the other batsmen of Barry's similar stature have all played 100+ tests.😐😐

that's true. But you really did benifit from the barry selection. Their are plenty of bowlers with great reputation within 50 tests. But the other batsmen of Barry's similar stature have all played 100+ tests.😐😐

I thought Barry would get picked early on but it was 7th pick of the first round. So, I knew I shouldn't miss out on him.

Are you sure Saeed Anwar, Jayasuriya or Shane Watson are not of the same stature as Barry :yk

I thought Barry would get picked early on but it was 7th pick of the first round. So, I knew I shouldn't miss out on him.

It's quite frightening that you were able to pick Allan Donald as 2nd pick

I would have picked England's best young batsmen, Olliee Pope if I had 2 more tests in the final pick.

Let's start new draft now :yk

I think we can continue with something similar for ODIs (with limit on the number of matches) on this thread itself with the same participants [MENTION=151648]therealAB[/MENTION].

I would have picked England's best young batsmen, Olliee Pope if I had 2 more tests in the final pick.

I had the budget for Ollie Pope but chose to go with Fawad because of the fan following he has on this forum. So him being in the team should potentially get me more votes :yk

Let's do that and let me be a part of it. I want to play it along with my brother [MENTION=65183]freelance_cricketer[/MENTION]

Our brother, Bhaijaan will always be there for any draft to double the fun by his style of selections. I had a busy last two days but next three days are free. So, would love to be part of any new draft now.

I think we can continue with something similar for ODIs (with limit on the number of matches) on this thread itself with the same participants [MENTION=151648]therealAB[/MENTION].

We had one for ODIs but this limiting the number of matches brings a lot of fun while playing the draft.

If I think back, my test team is doubly effective in ODIs and will pelt any other team in the competition in ODI matches :sarf2

I had a check on Bhaijaan's team, batting is solid but bowling clearly looks like one for ODI format :yk

Curtly Ambrose ( One of the best ever)
Shoaib Akhtar ( Great bowler)
Jofra Archer (Young with potential but till now will be remembered for ODIs)
Kuldeep Yadav
Sunil Narine

Both LOI spinners. Kuldeep can be a test guy but looks far from a place.

Last edited:
How about going for a rookies draft next? Players under 23/25?

I had a check on Bhaijaan's team, batting is solid but bowling clearly looks like one for ODI format :yk

Curtly Ambrose ( One of the best ever)
Shoaib Akhtar ( Great bowler)
Jofra Archer (Young with potential but till now will be remembered for ODIs)
Kuldeep Yadav
Sunil Narine

Both LOI spinners. Kuldeep can be a test guy but looks far from a place.

The only reason why Kuldeep isn't part of test team is Kohli doesn't want to steal Ashwin's bread. Has 3 5fers already in short span. In any other country he would have already taken 150 test wickets already.

Marine just chooses to focus on T20s. He might fail against India, Pakistan but good enough to contribute

Akhtar Archer Ambrose is a legit most scary pace trio in this competition.

The only reason why Kuldeep isn't part of test team is Kohli doesn't want to steal Ashwin's bread. Has 3 5fers already in short span. In any other country he would have already taken 150 test wickets already.

Marine just chooses to focus on T20s. He might fail against India, Pakistan but good enough to contribute

Akhtar Archer Ambrose is a legit most scary pace trio in this competition.

Marine averages 40 with bowl :afridi, that's worse than Ravi Shastri.

What does Kuldeep average

The point is that Marine ended up with average of 40 in tests, he is not playing tests again and whatever he played he was absymal in it.

Kuldeep is averaging same as Ashwin and Jadeja with 24 wickets compared to 370 and 210 wickets of those two but has not been able to find a place in Indian team even though Ashwin and Jadeja both struggle overseas. If you take Ashwin's bread, then Jadeja will be prioritised next.

Your batting is excellent but bowling is reliant on Ambrose. Others will have good and bad days both.

Last edited:
The point is that Marine ended up with average of 40 in tests, he is not playing tests again and whatever he played he was absymal in it.

Kuldeep is averaging same as Ashwin and Jadeja with 24 wickets compared to 370 and 210 wickets of those two but has not been able to find a place in Indian team even though Ashwin and Jadeja both struggle overseas. If you take Ashwin's bread, then Jadeja will be prioritised next.

Your batting is excellent but bowling is reliant on Ambrose. Others will have good and bad days both.

My spin bowling line is easily best in the competition actually. Firstly because I have one. :))

Both world class spinners whose talent isn't limited to format they play.

Kuldeep averages 24 as a test spinner and as already explained, only reason he's not played in the test team is to make sure Ashwin earns his bread.

Narine has by choice focussed on T20 cricket.

He played 1 test match in NZ, got a 5fer in it (6/91)

He played 2 tests in WI, bowling average of 25

Ironically his figures were ruined by Bangladesh who are very good at playing spin especially at home. It is like Shane Warne coming out of India with a bad tour or Ashwin/Yasir having a bad Australian tour.

Like I said somewhere above, Narine would totally prey on a lot of teams out there not good against soon.

My spin bowling line is easily best in the competition actually. Firstly because I have one. :))

Kuldeep averages 24 as a test spinner and as already explained, only reason he's not played in the test team is to make sure Ashwin earns his bread.

Ironically his figures were ruined by Bangladesh who are very good at playing spin especially at home. It is like Shane Warne coming out of India with a bad tour or Ashwin/Yasir having a bad Australian tour.

Like I said somewhere above, Narine would totally prey on a lot of teams out there not good against soon.

People with Warne/Murali/MacGill/Kumble (not sure if he got picked)/Saqlain are much better

Narine played all those tests with his suspect action. With the changed action he is just ok even in ipl bhai.

<B>Ironically his figures were ruined by Bangladesh who are very good at playing spin especially at home. It is like Shane Warne coming out of India with a bad tour or Ashwin/Yasir having a bad Australian tour.</B>

:))):))):)))

Back