Hypothetical ODI draft

I agree he has the potential, but his career has just started and he's only played 14 games. All-time XI's are normally not selected on potential but on performances over a certain period of time.

Would have been a great pick if it wasn't for an all-time XI.

Apart from this though, the team is full of match-winners.

Bro, we had Barry Richards picked up for an all time test XI drafts who only played 4 tests as well as Mike Procter who played only 7 tests. It's not as if Jofra is an unknown player. he would have played for England 2 years ago if rules allowed him. He has played over 150 games in his FC, List A and T20 career and bowled against the best in top T20 leagues all over the world. Been the most expensive pacer in IPL for 2 consecutive seasons. So he can't be compared to some of the other pacers in history who played a few games and disappeared. His career has only begun and it's only gonna move updwards. Also, as I said, performing in a world cup and winning it for your team counts way more than the performances in 50,60 JAMODI's

My team in correct order after the change.

1. Virender Sehwag
2. Gordon Greenidge
3. Brian Lara
4. Aravinda de Silva
5. Andy Flower (wkt)
6. Clive Lloyd (C)
7. Ian Botham
8. Wasim Akram (VC)
9. Abdul Qadir
10. Mohammad Shami
11. Dennis Lillee

This is a great team as well, very balanced!

Excellent team. Archer is too young in the list to be mentioned though.

Picked on pure potential. 95mph bowlers are rare to find. Add his clean hitting potential and athleticism in field. A true freak and had to be part of the Freaks XI

Bro, we had Barry Richards picked up for an all time test XI drafts who only played 4 tests as well as Mike Procter who played only 7 tests. It's not as if Jofra is an unknown player. he would have played for England 2 years ago if rules allowed him. He has played over 150 games in his FC, List A and T20 career and bowled against the best in top T20 leagues all over the world. Been the most expensive pacer in IPL for 2 consecutive seasons. So he can't be compared to some of the other pacers in history who played a few games and disappeared. His career has only begun and it's only gonna move updwards. Also, as I said, performing in a world cup and winning it for your team counts way more than the performances in 50,60 JAMODI's

Again I agree he has the potential, but sample size is way too low to be part of an All time XI. There are so many players who have performed amazingly on the domestic scene and around the leagues, but have gone bust on the international scene with enough time given.

Barry Richards and Mike Procter should not be part of All Time XIs either to be honest with that sample size.

Again I agree he has the potential, but sample size is way too low to be part of an All time XI. There are so many players who have performed amazingly on the domestic scene and around the leagues, but have gone bust on the international scene with enough time given.

Barry Richards and Mike Procter should not be part of All Time XIs either to be honest with that sample size.

Yeah but how many of them have won their team a world cup?

He was the best English pacer and 3rd best pacer both in terms of wickets as well as economy.

Yeah but how many of them have won their team a world cup?

He was the best English pacer and 3rd best pacer both in terms of wickets as well as economy.

It's not even about that. The whole point is that you are selecting an ODI All time XI not a 2019 World Cup XI.

And the fact is Archer has simply not played enough games to be a part of an All time XI.

Greenidge, Haynes batted in an era of 85 meter boundaries. With 65 meter boundaries there SR would be 100+.

Haynes remain unpicked. Thats unfair.
Zaheer Khan is unpicked when many teams lack a left arm pace option.
Carl Hooper should have been picked.
iirc, McDermott and Anderson are not picked.

It's not even about that. The whole point is that you are selecting an ODI All time XI not a 2019 World Cup XI.

And the fact is Archer has simply not played enough games to be a part of an All time XI.

Are you going to vote me or not? :srt

or is selecting Archer going to cost me a certain vote? :najam

Are you going to vote me or not? :srt

or is selecting Archer going to cost me a certain vote? :najam

I am definitely voting for you. That team is sick and has all the bases covered. I honestly believe that both of our teams have the best batting line-up and the lower order.

Greenidge, Haynes batted in an era of 85 meter boundaries. With 65 meter boundaries there SR would be 100+.

I was considering Hooper as my 2nd spinner and #5 batsman. Probably would have picked him if it wasn't for his abysmal world cup record.

I am definitely voting for you. That team is sick and has all the bases covered. I honestly believe that both of our teams have the best batting line-up and the lower order.

Good because I started thinking about dropping Jofra for someone like Rabada because the main purpose of selecting these lineups is to get votes :yk

It's another thing I'm such a big fan of Jofra. He's destined to become Usain Bolt or Michael jordan of cricket :jofra

I am always wary about the batsmen of yesteryears and their SR. When someone rightly mentioned if even Sunil Gavaskar had a strike rate of 63, who was known for his defensive batting. How can you claim that Haynes or Gordon Greenidge would strike at a 100 in today's modern game, when they had a similar strike rate as Gavaskar.

Gavaskar and haynes have similar str rate, now if you are going to tell me that someone like gavaskar would bat at 100 str rate in this era then sorry but i won't be tricked.
There is no way that those players would strike at 100 at best 75-80 and i am being generous.

I am always wary about the batsmen of yesteryears and their SR. When someone rightly mentioned if even Sunil Gavaskar had a strike rate of 63, who was known for his defensive batting. How can you claim that Haynes or Gordon Greenidge would strike at a 100 in today's modern game, when they had a similar strike rate as Gavaskar.

Yeah even Glenn Turner had a better strike rate than Greenidge and Haynes,still no one knows about him.

Yeah even Glenn Turner had a better strike rate than Greenidge and Haynes,still no one knows about him.

Even the bowlers at the time most of them had an economy rate of 3.5 or rounds about that. Would it still be the same in today's Era? Probably not.

Gavaskar and haynes have similar str rate, now if you are going to tell me that someone like gavaskar would bat at 100 str rate in this era then sorry but i won't be tricked.
There is no way that those players would strike at 100 at best 75-80 and i am being generous.

Yeah technique and playing style also matters. Does it mean Azhar Ali who bats at a strike rate of 70 in modern era would have batted at 40-50 in 70's. I don't think so. Think there would be a SR difference of +- 15-17 between 70's and 2010's and 8-10 between 90's and 2010's which also reflects in economy rates of bowlers. People making claims Greenidge would have scored at SR of 100+ in modern era should also consider the impact of bowlers economy too which means bowlers like Hadlee, Roberts, Holding would have economy of 5.5+ in modern era? I don't think so

Miandad sr 67. And he is considered one of the best.
Ajay jadeja 69, Ganguly and 74.

There were no 60 and 65 meter boundaries in those times.

Better sr now a days are not because of better skills, they are so primarily because of smaller boundaries .

By the end of his career, Gavaskar had turned into a destructive force of nature smashing run a ball centuries purely for fun. He was by far the greatest cricketer/batsman of the 1970s. There was nothing left to prove for him in mid 1980s especially India had won 1983 world cup and massacred everyone in 1985 world series.

Better sr now a days are not because of better skills, they are so primarily because of smaller boundaries .

You can't deny that skills haven't improved either. You didn't see all these innovative shots that likes of AB, KP and Buttler play in those days.

You have your answer below.

Yeah technique and playing style also matters. Does it mean Azhar Ali who bats at a strike rate of 70 in modern era would have batted at 40-50 in 70's. I don't think so. Think there would be a SR difference of +- 15-17 between 70's and 2010's and 8-10 between 90's and 2010's which also reflects in economy rates of bowlers. People making claims Greenidge would have scored at SR of 100+ in modern era should also consider the impact of bowlers economy too which means bowlers like Hadlee, Roberts, Holding would have economy of 5.5+ in modern era? I don't think so

If you're going to add a factor of .35 in strike rates of batsmen than similar should be done to bowlers and +2 should be added to their economies. Now, are you going to tell me that Hadlee, Holding, Roberts would have been more expensive in current era than the likes of Rahat Ali, Mohammad Irfan, Steve Finn, Mashrafe Mortaza, Suranga Lakmal and Tendai Chatara? :yk

Was it the 1987 world cup where Gavaskar smashed a century in like 80 balls something.

There were a few knocks where he intentionally parked the bus besides his role for India was always to occupie the crease. Otherwise it would be a huge mistake to out Gavaskar and Boycott in the same group as batsmen.

Gavaskar could launch attach when he needed to

Forget thag 100 off 80 balls he also scored fast double centuries.

India almost chased down 400vs England inside 4 innings thanks to an ATG double hundred from Sunny.

He belongs in the very top tier of batting greats

If you're going to add a factor of .35 in strike rates of batsmen than similar should be done to bowlers and +2 should be added to their economies. Now, are you going to tell me that Hadlee, Holding, Roberts would have been more expensive in current era than the likes of Rahat Ali, Mohammad Irfan, Steve Finn, Mashrafe Mortaza, Suranga Lakmal and Tendai Chatara? :yk

With that arguement you took the middle stump with an inswingimg Yorker :waqar

I was considering Carl Hooper but then went with Azharuddin as he provided a captaincy option... only to end up with Jayawardene as my captain.

I just find these claims ridiculous tbh. Obviously there are factors that need to be considered and stats need to be adjusted while comparing eras but some people exaggerate it to an unbelievable extent.

[MENTION=139595]Ab Fan[/MENTION]

I'm not sure why you picked Andy flower in round 2 when there were a lot of modern keepers available. Andy Flower is an ATG test batsman but an average ODI batsman imo. Average of 33 against non minnows with a SR of 73 doesn't make him a 2nd round pick tbh

Overall, I'm content with my team, but I wish I had gone for one of the top big-name batsmen or bowlers in the early rounds. Lower order looks pretty strong but it's come at a cost.

[MENTION=139595]Ab Fan[/MENTION]

I'm not sure why you picked Andy flower in round 2 when there were a lot of modern keepers available. Andy Flower is an ATG test batsman but an average ODI batsman imo. Average of 33 against non minnows with a SR of 73 doesn't make him a 2nd round pick tbh

I picked Lara in my 2nd pick.

What is non-minnow, now? Andy averages 36 at 74 in 90s decade which is equivalent to 45@90 today. Azhar bhai has same average and SR as Andy Flower and Flower keeps as well. So, I picked him.

Just think the pressure situation in which he always used to come to bat, that strike rate of 74 is very impressive in 90s decade. Btw, I have Lloyd and Botham at 6 & 7 for explosiveness.

Haynes has 25 MoM in 238 Odis.
Rohit 21/224
Dilshan 25/330
Sehwag 23/251
Gilchrist 28/287
Amla 18/181
Hayden 9/155

Now tell me how was Haynes any lesser opener than modern openers in terms of impact ?

[MENTION=133760]Abdullah719[/MENTION] Interchange Hogg and Vaas.
And also interchange De Kock and Astle.

Last edited:
Haynes has 25 MoM in 238 Odis.
Rohit 21/224
Dilshan 25/330
Sehwag 23/251
Gilchrist 28/287
Amla 18/181
Hayden 9/155

Now tell me how was Haynes any lesser opener than modern openers in terms of impact ?

Well, I was specifically talking about strike rates as you said Greenidge's SR would have been 100+ in this era.

Well, I was specifically talking about strike rates as you said Greenidge's SR would have been 100+ in this era.

I agree, 100+ was an unintended exaggeration. And I rate Haynes higher than Greenidge as an ODI opener. His impact on WI ODI team during 80s was second only to Sir Viv.

I agree, 100+ was an unintended exaggeration. And I rate Haynes higher than Greenidge as an ODI opener. <B>His impact on WI ODI team during 80s was second only to Sir Viv.</B>

Greenidge had better stats and did much better in World Cups and was more aggressive batsmen than Haynes. He is widely considered as the best opening bat for WI in ODIs.

What do you think of my team bro?

It's a solid team. Bowling attack is really balanced and one of the best. A modern batsman in the middle order would have made it perfect but enough firepower with Lloyd and Botham at #6 and #7.

Think you could have done better had you selected a modern keeper like Bairstow/QDK ahead of flower and someone like Inzi/KP/Ross Taylor to bat at #5. Perfect team otherwise

It's a solid team. Bowling attack is really balanced and one of the best. A modern batsman in the middle order would have made it perfect but enough firepower with Lloyd and Botham at #6 and #7.

Think you could have done better had you selected a modern keeper like Bairstow/QDK ahead of flower and someone like Inzi/KP/Ross Taylor to bat at #5. Perfect team otherwise

Thank you. Btw, a modern opener keeper ahead of which opener?

So here is the reasoning behind the Hakeems XI:

A solid top and middle batting order, consisting of ATG players. The lower order is one of the best among all the teams and bats very deep with Pollock coming in at 8. Proper 5 bowling options, that are all wicket taking options.

Everyone is also a good/great fielder barring Ajmal.

1 - Hashim Amla: One of the ATG openers in ODI cricket, with over 8000 runs and average 50 at a strike rate of 88. Also holds multiple records such as being the fast to 1000, 2000, 3000...7000 runs.

2 -David Warner: One of the most destructive opening batsman in the modern game. Can destroy any bowling attack on his day. Avg of 46 at a strike rate of 95. And to top if off a gun fielder.

3 - Ricky Ponting: This man needs no introduction. Simply an all time great with over 13000 runs and could shift gears at will. A two times world cup winning captain and again a brilliant fielder.

4 - Kumar Sangakkara: Another ATG wk/batsman. One of the best wicket-keepers of all time and brilliant player behind the stumps as well as in front of them. Scoring over 14000 runs and also holds the record for scoring 4 consecutive hundreds in a WC.

5 - Kevin Pietersen: One of the greatest batsman for England and could destroy any line-up on his day as well. Over 4000 runs, avg of 40.73 at a strike rate of 86. He's the ideal man to follow Punter and Sanga to provide the impetus to up the anti even further.

6 - Andrew Symonds: Another ATG middle/lower order batsman. Over 500 runs, avg of 40 at a strike rate of 92. The big hitting batting A/R from the great Australian team and a 2 time WC winner. He's the ideal man at number 6 to play the role of the finisher with some big hitting. Can also act as the sixth bowling option. Also one of the best fielder the world has ever seen.

7 - Andrew Flintoff: Another ATG all-rounder from England. Avg of 32 with the bat and 24 with the ball. Provides the perfect balance to the side with his big hitting at the back-end of the innings and with his death bowling with his accurate yorkers.

8 - Shaun Pollock: Another ATG bowling A/R. Batting avg of 26 and a bowling avg of 24, took 393 wickets and had the best economy rate (3.67) from the bowlers of his era. Acts as another finisher with the bat and will open the bowling with new ball.

9 - Dale Steyn: One of the greatest fast bowlers from South Africa. Bowling avg of 25.95, econ rate of 4.87 and a strike rate of 31.9 (one of the best). Can bowl with new ball or as 1st change and also a great option at death.

10 - Saeed Ajmal: The wizard himself. Was a cornerstone of the Pakistani one-day team. Took 184 wickets at an average of 22.72 and a meagre economy rate of 4.18. One of the best spinners in LOI to have played for Pakistan. Will control the innings in the middle and can even bowl in death.

11 - Nathan Bracken: A very underrated player. A 2 times WC Winner and a great swing bowler. Took 174 wickets at an avg of 24.36 and a economy rate of 4.41 and that two while playing in an era when the likes of Tendulkar, Sehwag, Jayasuria played. Will also be a very useful bowler on sticky wickets and adds a left-arm variety to the bowling unit.

I completely agree bowlers should be scaled down. Garner becomes similar to the rest of the pack, rather than far ahead for example. Wasim, Garner, McGrath are the 3 greatest ODI bowlers despite many in the 70's, 80's having better stats

Back