Hypothetical Test draft - 10 participants to pick their teams [Completed]

It doesn’t matter, ATG or not ATG.

Any given day, your team will get defeated lol

Don’t get too personal. I am just stating the fact lol

Jk, you have a great team.

Buddy, come have a round with Graham Gooch. Possibly the best player of the GOAT Windies Pace Attack ever. And that’s just my opener. You think Akhtar and Asif stand a chance?

Buddy, come have a round with Graham Gooch. Possibly the best player of the GOAT Windies Pace Attack ever. And that’s just my opener. You think Akhtar and Asif stand a chance?

So did Majid Khan. Gooch had a pretty mediocre record against arch rivals Australians though. Average of 33 after 42 matches. Think you could have easily picked him in 10th or 11th round. Round 5 was too early for Gooch

10 of last 20 picks were in my radar. from 5 remaining picks, add 4 more.

Still some ATG players to pick for unpicked xi though.

There will always be few ATG's left unpicked due to team combinations. You'd find many middle order bats but there would be hardly any ATG pacer, pace AR, keeper or opener left.

So it's a good thing I don't have any West Indian pacer as Gooch averages 18 in 10 matches he played against Lillee :usman

Yep these modern bowlers who are not ATG’s won’t chip greats like Barrington, Gooch and Hammond

My final XI

1. Saeed Anwar
2. Sanath Jayasuria
3. Steve Smith
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Virat Kohli
6. Andrew Flintoff
7. Brendon McCullum (WK)
8. Ravichandran Ashwin
9. Vernon Philander
10. Mitchell Starc
11. Pat Cummins

I'll do my complete write up on the XI tomorrow

Yep these modern bowlers who are not ATG’s won’t chip greats like Barrington, Gooch and Hammond
Mohd. Asif is the most difficult bowler to face in entire draft. I am sure we will have a few nicks from these oldies.

My final XI

1. Saeed Anwar
2. Sanath Jayasuria
3. Steve Smith
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Virat Kohli
6. Andrew Flintoff
7. Brendon McCullum (WK)
8. Ravichandran Ashwin
9. Vernon Philander
10. Mitchell Starc
11. Pat Cummins

I'll do my complete write up on the XI tomorrow

A complete modern era team with a very strong middle order.

Thought this will be done by yesterday, still 5 picks left.

Can we do trades if both teams are interested? Even with just a 24 hour trade window I feel like there could be some win-win deals

Can we do trades if both teams are interested? Even with just a 24 hour trade window I feel like there could be some win-win deals

Idk I think that defeats the purpose of the draft. Half of it was also a psychological game trying to anticipate what the next pick is. You should have made your initial picks in a way that you’re happy with the team

If you trade, then all the teams just balance out

[MENTION=132969]Da_Future_Knick[/MENTION]

It's been more than 22 hours since your pick is due

So it's a good thing I don't have any West Indian pacer as Gooch averages 18 in 10 matches he played against Lillee :usman

Same Lillee who has a 36 average in Sri Lanka, 101 average in Pakistan, and not a single test wicket against Windies in Windies? Greenidge and Lara will have lots of fun with him I’m sure :afridi

To be fare, if Bezli gets a supportive surface Asif and Akhtar could create early troubles for any batting line up in this draft :akhtar :asif

On flat surfaces Asif was below average while Akhtar would have to be at his his absolute best like against England in 2005

Last edited:
Same Lillee who has a 36 average in Sri Lanka, 101 average in Pakistan, and not a single test wicket against Windies in Windies? Greenidge and Lara will have lots of fun with him I’m sure :afridi

Yeah tell that to 100's of experts, cricket magazines who have put Lillee in their all time test XI :usman

Anyways have Davidson and Hadlee with averages of 17 and 22 in Asia + 2 spinners in Warne and Greig. Even Border has a 10 fer against WestIndies against Greenidge n co. Don't think Lillee's services would be required much in Asia. That's the advantage with having 5 proper bowling options and a couple of more than decent part timers which you don't have unfortunately :afridi

lol if these oldies were still alive and faced Asif, they would’ve agreed with me along with KP.

Asif is nothing on Trueman, Lindwall, Garner, Miller. They are bonafide ATG's. All of my top 6 averages 57+, I think I will be fine. KP not half the player of anyone in my top six

You expect David Warner to keep to Murali? :danish

Maybe Dravid will be a better keeper in his team, at least he has kept for an extended period of time in ODIs. Why Warner?

[MENTION=151648]therealAB[/MENTION]

Gonna make a few of your legends rebel for lucrative IPL contracts :afridi

[MENTION=65183]freelance_cricketer[/MENTION] haha

Miller and SObers would have been great in IPL. Full package cricketers

Yeah tell that to 100's of experts, cricket magazines who have put Lillee in their all time test XI :usman

Lillee is respected for his legacy and attitude at a time when no one had seen anything like him :salute i respect him for that reason too. Inspired the likes of Imran.

But his actual skill level isn’t as high as those he inspired :afridi Ambrose, Roberts, and Steyn could probably teach him a thing or two

[MENTION=151648]therealAB[/MENTION], let's start with the ODI draft.

[MENTION=139595]Ab Fan[/MENTION]. Start tomorrow night, after the voting thread has been developed and the writeups are completed. I have already written up rules etc so just waiting for this to finish

[MENTION=151884]Kaddy[/MENTION] Please take your pick whenever you're on.

Guys, if you can then please PM me your picks [MENTION=135989]world cup captain[/MENTION] [MENTION=137148]Rayyman[/MENTION]. I have [MENTION=152035]Bezli[/MENTION]'s last pick already.

Let's wrap this up soon.

Let's decide on what we want to do for polling, guys.

I think we should start the poll as soon as all the picks are in. There's no way of knowing when people can send in their writeups and this has already dragged on for a bit. We can use the writeups we have right now and add the others later.

Let's decide on what we want to do for polling, guys.

I think we should start the poll as soon as all the picks are in. There's no way of knowing when people can send in their writeups and this has already dragged on for a bit. We can use the writeups we have right now and add the others later.

I’ll send you my writeup in a bit. Will you take care of formatting or should I make it fancy etc myself

Also we have waited so much for draft picks, we can certainly give one day for team write ups after completion of all draft picks

My vote goes to the ranking system

Yeah posters would only need to rank top 3 teams and simple post like the following one should suffice to be counted:

1- Team A
2- Team B
3- Team C

[MENTION=151884]Kaddy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION] also preferred the ranking system

Only 1 pick made during last 36 hours :afaq

These last picks shouldn't have taken this long tbh especially when the remaining teams need players with different roles. Should have been messaged to Abdullah in advance

Yeah posters would only need to rank top 3 teams and simple post like the following one should suffice to be counted:

1- Team A
2- Team B
3- Team C

[MENTION=151884]Kaddy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION] also preferred the ranking system

Yup I do.

One suggestion — why not do both? Might get more people to vote that way (on the poll) but we can still have the preferred ranking system. Maybe this way, people who come for the poll might stay for the ranking as well. Just an idea. No harm in doing both

[MENTION=128087]last_knight[/MENTION] you and [MENTION=70195]AFM[/MENTION] can pick the unpicked XI

Don’t think this draft will end anytime soon :)))

Only 1 pick made during last 36 hours :afaq

These last picks shouldn't have taken this long tbh especially when the remaining teams need players with different roles. Should have been messaged to Abdullah in advance

It's a shame really.

I requested you to trade my last pick with aliaster cook.
Now you have the most unbalanced XI.
You have no keeper
Three openers and your third fast bowler is ben stokes.

I requested you to trade my last pick with aliaster cook.
Now you have the most unbalanced XI.
You have no keeper
Three openers and your third fast bowler is ben stokes.

That's harsh lol :aag: :)))

[MENTION=135989]world cup captain[/MENTION]
You are next(In Bill Goldberg's voice)

Yup I do.

One suggestion — why not do both? Might get more people to vote that way (on the poll) but we can still have the preferred ranking system. Maybe this way, people who come for the poll might stay for the ranking as well. Just an idea. No harm in doing both

Yeah we can do both and may have 2 separate winners one leading the poll and the other with the highest rating points given by the posters or it's also possible that the same team wins the poll as well as rated highest.

Now I will request him to be more careful while opening.
On a serious note: Walcott played most of his career as no. 3 where he averaged over 50. So i think he can play as an opener as well.
After all Headly wasn't opener either.

Surprised, a quality opening batsmen in a tough era of bowling was unpicked.

ahmadharis1's XI

1. Sanath Jayasuria
2. Saeed Anwar
3. Steve Smith
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Virat Kohli (C)
6. Andrew Flintoff
7. Brendon McCullum (WK)
8. Ravichandran Ashwin
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Vernon Philander
11. Pat Cummins

Introduction

Ladies and gentlemen, I firmly believe that my XI is the best batting lineup of the entire draft. Top to bottom, every single member of my team has the batting ability to torture and wear down opposition bowlers. With a perfect mix of aggression, composure, and depth, my XI will have no difficulty putting up runs.

That's not to say my team is completely dominated by bat. I have also put together a versatile and attacking bowling lineup. Mitchell Starc, Vernon Philander, and Pat Cummins compose a strong pace trio and Ashwin is a modern bowling great. With 5 genuine bowlers and plenty of part-time options, my bowling is just as strong as my batting.

Openers
Sanath Jayasuria/Saeed Anwar​

Opening the batting are the lefty duo of Sanath Jayasuria and Saeed Anwar. These two are more than capable of balancing between classic test match batting and aggressive stroke play to keep bowlers on their toes. Jayasuria revolutionized the opening game, while Anwar is a classy fan-favorite player. With 25 test centuries between them, they form a powerful opening combination

Middle Order
Steve Smith/Sachin Tendulkar/Virat Kohli​

In my honest opinion, the best middle order of the entire draft. Coming in at 3 is Steve Smith. Already solidifying himself as one of the greatest batsmen of all time, Steve Smith has made a name for himself with 26 test centuries and counting. With a famous unorthodox technique that bowlers can't figure out, even the legends will struggle to take his wicket.

Coming in at #4, the Little Master himself. The first pick of the entire draft... ladies and gentleman I present... Sachin Tendulkar. Whatever I write about this batsman will not do justice to the extraordinary talent he possesses. 51 test centuries. Almost 16,000 test runs. The greatest batsman of all time.

If you think that wasn't enough. Coming in at 5, the spiritual successor to Sachin himself, is Virat Kohli, the captain. The fiery, passionate Kohli bolsters what is already a powerful middle order. 27 test centuries and counting, his textbook technique will prove difficult for even the legendary bowlers.

Imagine being an opposition bowler facing this powerful batting lineup. If they had manage to get the openers out, in comes Steve Smith. If, by some miracle, he heads back to the pavilion, in comes the greatest batsman of all time, Sachin Tendulkar. And if that wasn't enough, standing by at #5 is Virat Kohli.

Between the three, 104 test centuries and over 30,000 runs.

Lower Order
Andrew Flintoff/Brendon McCullum (WK)​

Coming in at 6, a legendary all rounder who has won matches with the bat and ball... Andrew Freddy Flintoff. The man has made a name for himself for his starring role in the 2005 Ashes Series. With the bat, he can play the attacking role, pounding opposition bowlers after they tire bowling to the middle order. He is no sham with the ball either. The legendary Ricky Ponting himself has called him one of the best bowlers he's faced, recalling Flintoff's over to him in Edgbastonb 2005 as the ‘Best over I ever faced’

If that wasn't enough aggression for you, in at #7, the wicketkeeper Brendon McCullum. Baz has made a career for himself striking fear into the hearts of bowlers. He is the proud owner of a brutal triple century to go along with 12 test hundreds. He is also a genuine keeper who will have no trouble on that end.

Bowlers
Ravichandran Ashwin/Mitchell Starc/Vernon Philander/Pat Cummins​

The frontline bowlers of my XI form a modern day legendary bowling quartet. At #8 is Ravichandran Ashwin, already one of the greatest off-spinners of all time. With 365 test wickets to his name, Ashin has the know-how and ability to test even the greatest of batsmen.

Don't let Mitchell Starc's limited overs prowess fool you; he is a brilliant test bowler who has spearheaded Australia's attack for nearly a decade. He's a tall, pinpoint accurate bowler with a deadly yorker that can topple all batsmen.

Vernon Philander is yet another modern day great in the XI. Even without the brutal pace of Starc, he has taken 224 test wickets at an extraordinary average of 22.32. He hits the same spots consistently, testing out rival batsmen. His knowledge and experience will be handy in the bowling lineup.

Rounding out the team and bowling attack is Pat Cummins. At just 27 years old and 30 tests old, Cummins was a bit of a surprise pick in the draft, but he will prove the doubters wrong. 143 wickets at a fantastic average of 21.82 proves his ability.

The XI also has plenty of part time options with Jayasuria and Sachin Tendulkar forming a capable spin duo when needed.

Together, this versatile bowling attack is more than capable of bowling out opposition teams, at the same time being capable with the bat.

I'm going to be honest, having only really started watching cricket in 2015, I know I have taken a few surprising picks when I could have taken other players. I didn't really know any players before 2000 and that is evident in my XI. There were moments during the draft when I saw someone picked I'd think "Who is that???"

That being said, I do believe I have a balanced team that will more than hold its own.

Regardless, I had fun participating in the draft and hope you all vote for my team!

Back