Hypothetical ODI draft

I think [MENTION=555]mumtaz[/MENTION] and [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION] can also make their pick

[MENTION=134789]maddgenius[/MENTION] pick Ajantha Mendis :usman

I've picked Swann. [MENTION=139595]Ab Fan[/MENTION] can pick Shami after [MENTION=555]mumtaz[/MENTION] and [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION] make their picks

@freelance_cricket [MENTION=134789]maddgenius[/MENTION] [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION]. For next draft thinking of having max 1 player that debuted from 1900's to 2010's. ! player has to be from 1910's or 1940's, combined due to war. Thoughts?

How about a modern day draft? That would be really cool. Only players who haven’t retired yet

I've picked Swann. [MENTION=139595]Ab Fan[/MENTION] can pick Shami <B>after</B> [MENTION=555]mumtaz[/MENTION] and [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION] make their picks

What if [MENTION=555]mumtaz[/MENTION] picks Shami :yk

Wouldn't be enough players imo. Also lack of knowledge would hurt, as I do not know that many domestic players flying around

Hmm we have 10 full country teams and I’m pretty sure everyone here was watching the world cup

Thunderstorm XI is very pleased to make its final pick. To the disappointment of many fans who thought it would be Mark Boucher, the managers have opted to go for a modern day, destructive pick. Someone who averages more at a higher strike rate, possibly one of the best wicket keeper batsmen today. And stepped up on the big stage during the world cup.

Thunderstorm XI is very pleased to make its final pick. To the disappointment of many fans who thought it would be Mark Boucher, the managers have opted to go for a modern day, destructive pick. Someone who averages more at a higher strike rate, possibly one of the best wicket keeper batsmen today. And stepped up on the big stage during the world cup.

It’s Shai Hope.

Thunderstorm XI picks Alex Carey as its wicket keeper.

1. Sourav Ganguly
2. Chris Gayle
3. Kane Williamson
4. Martin Crowe
5. Javed Miandad
6. Alex Carey (WK)
7. Sir Richard Hadlee
8. Daniel Vettori
9. Muttiah Muralitharan
10. Shane Bond
11. Glenn McGrath

My final team:

1. Gilchrist (wk)
2. Anwar
3. Steve Smith
4. Mohammad Yousuf
5. Eoin Morgan (c)
6. Mike Hussey
7. Abdul Razzaq
8. Anil Kumble
9. Pat Cummins
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Jasprit Bumrah

Don't see any weak links there. Could have been stronger had I picked KW ahead of Steve Smith. Just that at that moment, I had only one candidate for #4 in mind, Yousuf, and two #3's, KW and Smith. I didn't want Thunderbolt to steal Yousuf and I figured he won't pick both KW and Smith as both are best suited to #3. Bit of a brainfade as I later realized as KW can also bowl decent off-spin. But overall very happy with my squad.

Thunderstorm XI picks Alex Carey as its wicket keeper.

1. Sourav Ganguly
2. Chris Gayle
3. Kane Williamson
4. Martin Crowe
5. Javed Miandad
6. Alex Carey (WK)
7. Sir Richard Hadlee
8. Daniel Vettori
9. Muttiah Muralitharan
10. Shane Bond
11. Glenn McGrath

Still deciding on captaincy between Dada, Kane, and Crowe. What do you guys think? Leaning towards Kane with Ganguly as VC

My updated bowling attack

Wasim Akram
Dennis Lillee
Mohammad Shami
Ian Botham

Abdul Qadir
Aravinda de Silva

Thunderstorm XI

1. Sourav Ganguly (C)
2. Chris Gayle
3. Kane Williamson (VC)
4. Martin Crowe
5. Javed Miandad
6. Alex Carey (WK)
7. Sir Richard Hadlee
8. Daniel Vettori
9. Muttiah Muralitharan
10. Shane Bond
11. Glenn McGrath

A fantastic balance between bat and ball. Easily the best bowling attack in the draft, with all 5 main bowling options being GOATs and ATGs with McGrath and Hadlee taking the new ball, Bond to come in at first change, Murali and Vettori to take the middle overs, and the death overs to be between Murali, McGrath, and Bond depending on the situation and the batsman at the crease. Ganguly and Kane as 6th and 7th bowling options.

Batting order stands tall with the fantastically destructive and with one of my favorite players of all time, Sourav Ganguly, leading from the front, partnered with the most destructive opener ever in Chris Gayle with men of the tournaments in 1992 and 2019 to follow in Kane Williamson and Martin Crowe. Middle order is strengthened by the GREAT Javed Miandad who has finished countless games for Pakistan including a famous last ball six, partnered with Alex Carey, possibly the beet wicket keeper batsman in the world right now. Sir Richard Hadlee and Vettori are more than capable of providing runs at number 7 and 8.

Overall, I have tried to cultivate a team that is strong in all aspects of the game. Barring Gayle, some excellent fielders as well.

Thunderstorm XI

1. Sourav Ganguly (C)
2. Chris Gayle
3. Kane Williamson (VC)
4. Martin Crowe
5. Javed Miandad
6. Alex Carey (WK)
7. Sir Richard Hadlee
8. Daniel Vettori
9. Muttiah Muralitharan
10. Shane Bond
11. Glenn McGrath

A fantastic balance between bat and ball. Easily the best bowling attack in the draft, with all 5 main bowling options being GOATs and ATGs with McGrath and Hadlee taking the new ball, Bond to come in at first change, Murali and Vettori to take the middle overs, and the death overs to be between Murali, McGrath, and Bond depending on the situation and the batsman at the crease. Ganguly and Kane as 6th and 7th bowling options.

Batting order stands tall with the fantastically destructive and with one of my favorite players of all time, Sourav Ganguly, leading from the front, partnered with the most destructive opener ever in Chris Gayle with men of the tournaments in 1992 and 2019 to follow in Kane Williamson and Martin Crowe. Middle order is strengthened by the GREAT Javed Miandad who has finished countless games for Pakistan including a famous last ball six, partnered with Alex Carey, possibly the beet wicket keeper batsman in the world right now. Sir Richard Hadlee and Vettori are more than capable of providing runs at number 7 and 8.

Overall, I have tried to cultivate a team that is strong in all aspects of the game. Barring Gayle, some excellent fielders as well.
Bhai vettori ain't any atg :yk

Apun ke punter log xi
01) Quinton de Kock(wk)
02) Nathan Astle
03) Faf du Plesis
04) Ross Taylor
05) Arjuna Ranatunga
06) Michael Bevan
07) Chris Cairns
08) Imran Khan(c)
09) Brad Hogg
10) Chaminda Vaas
11) Shoaib Akhtar

Bowling attack

Imran Khan and Chaminda Vaas with a new ball
Shoaib Akhtar as first change
Brad Hogg and Chris Cairns at middle overs
Shoaib Akhtar at death overs.

Muralitharan:

Sri Lanka’s spin wizard Muralitharan was known for his poor fielding. He often treated the spectators with hilarious situations when he was seen asking the fielders not to throw the ball at his end. Captains were seen asking Murali to field at short fine leg where it was expected that he would not have to do a lot. But after batsmen started playing paddle sweeps and scoops even that position was not the most relaxing for him. But he tried to make up for his weak fielding by his tricks as bowler. When someone has 800 Test wickets, one can probably excuse his fielding lapses.

Daniel Vettori:

Another former captain who has made his way in this list is New Zealand’s leading spinner Daniel Vettori. Vettori was a slow fielder and often gave up on chases. His fielding became more noticeable due to the fact that the kiwis are known for being brilliant fielders. He had back problems which obviously affected his fielding.

Mcgrath:

He was the worst fielder in the Australian side of his time, and one of his biggest failings was perhaps his inability to cover ground while fielding at the deep. Although he was a reliable catcher, there was not much else to be praised about his fielding.

:)) Gayle was a solid slip catcher though but that's it lol

[MENTION=55088]Watsupdoc[/MENTION] I’ll have them “injured” and bring in the substitute :afridi

My team in correct batting order

1.Herschelle Gibbs
2.Jonny Bairstow(wk)
3.Jaques Kallis
4.Viv Richards(cap)
5.Inzamam-ul-haq
6.Suresh Raina
7.David Miller
8.Malcolm Marshall
9.Saqlain Mushtaq
10.Joel Garner
11.Waqar Younis.

My team in correct order after the change.

1. Virender Sehwag
2. Gordon Greenidge
3. Brian Lara
4. Aravinda de Silva
5. Andy Flower (wkt)
6. Clive Lloyd (C)
7. Ian Botham
8. Wasim Akram (VC)
9. Abdul Qadir
10. Mohammad Shami
11. Dennis Lillee

1.Herschelle Gibbs
2.Jonny Bairstow(wk)
3.Jaques Kallis
4.Viv Richards(cap)
5.Inzamam-ul-haq
6.Suresh Raina
7.David Miller
8.Malcolm Marshall
9.Saqlain Mushtaq
10.Joel Garner
11.Waqar Younis.

Suresh Raina seems redundant when you have David Miller. Could have opted for another all round option, but still a solid squad. Good stuff.

Suresh Raina seems redundant when you have David Miller. Could have opted for another all round option, but still a solid squad. Good stuff.
I have 7 bowling options so there was no need to pick an allrounder.
I needed a good hitter at no. 6 who can field well, thats why i chose raina.
Steve waugh was also an option but he was too slow.

Freaks

1- Rohit Sharma
2- Tillakretne dilshan
3- Virat Kohli
4- Michael Clarke (c)
5- Jos Buttler
6- Shane Watson
7- Lance Klusener
8- Jofra Archer
9- Graeme Swann
10 - Morne Morkel
11- Michael Holding

1- Rohit Sharma Freak # 1 - 2nd greatest ODI opener of all time. Average of 58, SR of 92, 27 hundreds as an opener. Only played to have scored 3 double hundreds. Only player to have scored 5 centuries in a single world cup. 6 hundreds in 2 world cups as an opener which is the highest. Sachin is 2nd with 5 hundreds in 6 world cups. His average of 65 is the highest ever in world cups

2- Tillakeratne Dilshan - One of the best openers of 21st century. Averages 46 with a healthy SR of 89. Averages 63 in world cups as an opener with 4 centuries which is the 3rd best in world cups after Sharma and Turner.

3- Virat Kohli - Freak # 2. Naam hi kaafi hai

4- Michael Clarke (c) - World cup winning captain. Career average of 44 but averages 63 in world cups which is the 4th highest of all time for all players scoring 500+ runs in world cups.

5- Jos Buttler (wk) Freak # 3. Career avg of 40+ with a SR of 119 with 9 centuries. Has scored 5 centuries in 70 balls or less. 5 hundreds at #6 or below in just over 100 games which is by far the highest in ODI history. For a comparison, 2nd best is Dhoni with 3 hundreds in 206 matches. Some of the greatest finishers like Bevan, Hussey, Raina have a single century each batting 6 or below. But Buttler's record even gets better at #5. He averages 55 with a SR of 139 at #5 in 12 games.

6- Watson Freak # 4 Averages 102 with a SR of 134 batting at #5 or below in 10 world cup innings. He has played three world cups for Australia, batted at #7 in 2007, opener in 2011 whereas he was used as a floater in 2015 at #4,5 and 6. So he'll be used as a floater too in my lineup. Would bat ahead of Clarke at #4 if only 2 wickets are down around overs mark.

7- Lance Klusener Freak # 5 Greatest all rounder in ODI history. Career average of 41 with a SR of 90 is phenomenal for a batsman batting at #7 or below for the most for his career. Add 192 wickets in 171 ODI's with an average of 29 and economy of 4.8. Six 5 wicket hauls in ODI's which are the 8th highest in ODI history and most for a South African bowler even above the likes of Donald, Pollock, Steyn, Morkel, Ntini, Tahir. So a genuine match winner with the ball as well.Also, who can forget his legendary performances in 1999 world cup. 281 runs with an average of 140 and SR of 120 as well as 17 wickets @ 20. True match winner with both bat and ball.

8- Jofra Archer Freak # 6 - Tall, bowls 95 mph, bowls lethal bouncers, pin point yorkers, excellent slower ball, 3rd highest wicket taker in the only world cup he has played. Injured Amla, Carey with the bouncers, ball flew over the wickets for a six after hitting the stumps. This guy is another freak. Supreme athelete and a live wire in the field, can hit the ball a mile. Some pacers need certain type of wickets to perform. A pacer can take pitch out of the equation if he's tall, or he has 95 mph pace or he can ball pinpoint yorkers. Jofra has it all so he has the potential to become the greatest ODI pacer of all time if he stays fit.

9- Graeme Swann - An attacking classical offspinner with the smoothest of actions. Averages 25 with the ball with an economy of 4.5 in world cups. A handy lower order batsman too with 14 list A fifties and 4 FC hundreds.

10 - Morne Morkel - 6'5 tall fast bowler who can bowl upto 150 kph with the career average of 25 and economy under 5. He's one of of the most difficult modern pacers to score against due to the awkward bounce he generates from the good length. All conditions bowler with a better average in Asia than home. 26 wickets in 2 world cups @ 19. Best average among South African pacers with 15+ wickets in world cups. For a comparison, Klusener is the 2nd best with an average of 22 while Steyn, Donald and Pollock have averages of 23, 24 and 31 respectively.

11- Michael Holding Freak # 7 - Whispering death. One of the fastest bowlers of all time. 4th best average as well as 4th best economy rates of all time for all the pacers with 100+ wickets in ODI history. Averages 17 in world cups with an economy of 2.9 which is the best among all great West Indian pacers.

Summary

Batting - Explosive openers followed by 2 consistent and reliable run machines. Destructive batsmen at 5,6 and 7 and handy lower order hitters at 8,9 in Jofra and Swann

Bowling - 8 bowling options (5 quick, 3 spin)

3 tall genuine 90mph quicks with 2 of them could bowl upto 95 mph
4th genuine seam bowling option in Klusener.
An attacking offie in Swan.
Back up 5th seam option in Watson
Part time spinnners Dilshan & Clarke as 7th and 8th bowling options.

Last edited:

1.Herschelle Gibbs
2.Jonny Bairstow(wk)
3.Jaques Kallis
4.Viv Richards(cap)
5.Inzamam-ul-haq
6.Suresh Raina
7.David Miller
8.Malcolm Marshall
9.Saqlain Mushtaq
10.Joel Garner
11.Waqar Younis.

Very well balanced team I really like it

Thunderstorm XI

1. Sourav Ganguly (C)
2. Chris Gayle
3. Kane Williamson (VC)
4. Martin Crowe
5. Javed Miandad
6. Alex Carey (WK)
7. Sir Richard Hadlee
8. Daniel Vettori
9. Muttiah Muralitharan
10. Shane Bond
11. Glenn McGrath

Best bowling line up in drafts but the worst batting line up.

Thunderstorm XI

1. Sourav Ganguly (C)
2. Chris Gayle
3. Kane Williamson (VC)
4. Martin Crowe
5. Javed Miandad
6. Alex Carey (WK)
7. Sir Richard Hadlee
8. Daniel Vettori
9. Muttiah Muralitharan
10. Shane Bond
11. Glenn McGrath

Sure, Carey as the best wicket keeper batsman with 4 fifties in his entire career is surely the best wicket keeper batsman right now ahead of Buttler, Bairstow, QDK, Shai Hope or even Pant/Kusal Perrera/Mushfiq ur Raheem :lol

Freaks

1- Rohit Sharma
2- Tillakretne dilshan
3- Virat Kohli
4- Michael Clarke (c)
5- Jos Buttler
6- Shane Watson
7- Lance Klusener
8- Jofra Archer
9- Graeme Swann
10 - Morne Morkel
11- Michael Holding

1- Rohit Sharma Freak # 1 - 2nd greatest ODI opener of all time. Average of 58, SR of 92, 27 hundreds as an opener. Only played to have scored 3 double hundreds. Only player to have scored 5 centuries in a single world cup. 6 hundreds in 2 world cups as an opener which is the highest. Sachin is 2nd with 5 hundreds in 6 world cups. His average of 65 is the highest ever in world cups

2- Tillakeratne Dilshan - One of the best openers of 21st century. Averages 46 with a healthy SR of 89. Averages 63 in world cups as an opener with 4 centuries which is the 3rd best in world cups after Sharma and Turner.

4- Michael Clarke (c) - World cup winning captain. Career average of 44 but averages 63 in world cups which is the 4th highest of all time for all players scoring 500+ runs in world cups.

5- Jos Buttler (wk) Freak # 3. Career avg of 40+ with a SR of 119 with 9 centuries. Has scored 5 centuries in 70 balls or less. 5 hundreds at #6 or below in just over 100 games which is by far the highest in ODI history. For a comparison, 2nd best is Dhoni with 3 hundreds in 206 matches. Some of the greatest finishers like Bevan, Hussey, Raina have a single century each batting 6 or below. But Buttler's record even gets better at #5. He averages 55 with a SR of 139 at #5 in 12 games.

6- Watson Freak # 4 Averages 102 with a SR of 134 batting at #5 or below in 10 world cup innings. He has played three world cups for Australia, batted at #7 in 2007, opener in 2011 whereas he was used as a floater in 2015 at #4,5 and 6. So he'll be used as a floater too in my lineup. Would bat ahead of Clarke at #4 if only 2 wickets are down around overs mark.

7- Lance Klusener Freak # 5 Greatest all rounder in ODI history. Career average of 41 with a SR of 90 is phenomenal for a batsman batting at #7 or below for the most for his career. Add 192 wickets in 171 ODI's with an average of 29 and economy of 4.8. Six 5 wicket hauls in ODI's which are the 8th highest in ODI history and most for a South African bowler even above the likes of Donald, Pollock, Steyn, Morkel, Ntini, Tahir. So a genuine match winner with the ball as well.Also, who can forget his legendary performances in 1999 world cup. 281 runs with an average of 140 and SR of 120 as well as 17 wickets @ 20. True match winner with both bat and ball.

8- Jofra Archer Freak # 6 - Tall, bowls 95 mph, bowls lethal bouncers, pin point yorkers, excellent slower ball, 3rd highest wicket taker in the only world cup he has played. Injured Amla, Carey with the bouncers, ball flew over the wickets for a six after hitting the stumps. This guy is another freak. Supreme athelete and a live wire in the field, can hit the ball a mile. Some pacers need certain type of wickets to perform. A pacer can take pitch out of the equation if he's tall, or he has 95 mph pace or he can ball pinpoint yorkers. Jofra has it all so he has the potential to become the greatest ODI pacer of all time if he stays fit.

9- Graeme Swann - An attacking classical offspinner with the smoothest of actions. Averages 25 with the ball with an economy of 4.5 in world cups. A handy lower order batsman too with 14 list A fifties and 4 FC hundreds.

10 - Morne Morkel - 6'5 tall fast bowler who can bowl upto 150 kph with the career average of 25 and economy under 5. He's one of of the most difficult modern pacers to score against due to the awkward bounce he generates from the good length. All conditions bowler with a better average in Asia than home. 26 wickets in 2 world cups @ 19. Best average among South African pacers with 15+ wickets in world cups. For a comparison, Klusener is the 2nd best with an average of 22 while Steyn, Donald and Pollock have averages of 23, 24 and 31 respectively.

11- Michael Holding Freak # 7 - Whispering death. One of the fastest bowlers of all time. 4th best average as well as 4th best economy rates of all time for all the pacers with 100+ wickets in ODI history. Averages 17 in world cups with an economy of 2.9 which is the best among all great West Indian pacers.

Summary

Batting - Explosive openers followed by 2 consistent and reliable run machines. Destructive batsmen at 5,6 and 7 and handy lower order hitters at 8,9 in Jofra and Swann

Really good and explosive team. Though it's too early for Jofra Archer to be in an All time XI.

Apun ke punter log xi
01) Quinton de Kock(wk)
02) Nathan Astle
03) Faf du Plesis
04) Ross Taylor
05) Arjuna Ranatunga
06) Michael Bevan
07) Chris Cairns
08) Imran Khan(c)
09) Brad Hogg
10) Chaminda Vaas
11) Shoaib Akhtar

The Hakeems Final XI - thanks to [MENTION=128087]last_knight[/MENTION] for the great inputs as well:

1) David Warner
2) Hashim Amla
3) Ricky Ponting (c)
4) Sangakarra (wk)
5) Kevin Pietersen
6) Andrew Symonds
7) Andrew Flintoff
8) Shaun Pollock
9) Dale Steyn
10) Nathan Bracken
11) Saeed Ajmal

Probably one of the few teams that bat pretty deep and with 5 genuine wicket taking options.

Excellent and explosive batting line up. KP, Symonds, Flintoff and Pollock. Only lower order that can match mine of Buttler, Watson and Klusener. I have a slight edge in top 3 with Sharma & Kohli though. Decent bowling attack too

Really good and explosive team. Though it's too early for Jofra Archer to be in an All time XI.

He's there for his potential. How many 6+ tall 95mph bowlers have we seen in last couple of decades with such a lethal bouncer and ability to ball pin point yorkers? He has already won his team a world cup so 10 world cup games >> 50 JAMODI's. Add his athletic fielding and clean striking. I still have the option to drop him and pick Rabada but I won't. To me Archer is most exciting fast bowling prospect of this century.

Apun ke punter log xi
01) Quinton de Kock(wk)
02) Nathan Astle
03) Faf du Plesis
04) Ross Taylor
05) Arjuna Ranatunga
06) Michael Bevan
07) Chris Cairns
08) Imran Khan(c)
09) Brad Hogg
10) Chaminda Vaas
11) Shoaib Akhtar

This is a pretty good team too. Though Ranatunga at 5 is not that explosive and the 5th bowling option is slightly weak, but decent.

He's there for his potential. How many 6+ tall 95mph bowlers have we seen in last couple of decades with such a lethal bouncer and ability to ball pin point yorkers? He has already won his team a world cup so 10 world cup games >> 50 JAMODI's. Add his athletic fielding and clean striking. I still have the option to drop him and pick Rabada but I won't. To me Archer is most exciting fast bowling prospect of this century.

I agree he has the potential, but his career has just started and he's only played 14 games. All-time XI's are normally not selected on potential but on performances over a certain period of time.

Would have been a great pick if it wasn't for an all-time XI.

Apart from this though, the team is full of match-winners.

I agree he has the potential, but his career has just started and he's only played 14 games. All-time XI's are normally not selected on potential but on performances over a certain period of time.

Would have been a great pick if it wasn't for an all-time XI.

Apart from this though, the team is full of match-winners.

Yeah [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION] was saying the same but he himself proceeded to pick Carey who has only played 32 innings in his entire career with 4 fifties :)))

32 innings is such a big sample size :vk1

1.Herschelle Gibbs
2.Jonny Bairstow(wk)
3.Jaques Kallis
4.Viv Richards(cap)
5.Inzamam-ul-haq
6.Suresh Raina
7.David Miller
8.Malcolm Marshall
9.Saqlain Mushtaq
10.Joel Garner
11.Waqar Younis.

I like this team, went for all pace and has Kallis and Viv to compliment each other.

Yeah [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION] was saying the same but he himself proceeded to pick Carey who has only played 32 innings in his entire career with 4 fifties :)))

32 innings is such a big sample size :vk1

Even Carey shouldn't be part of an all-time XI and I see plenty of other holes in his line-up as well. Some of which you already mentioned :))

Plus Hadlee was not a number 7 batsman.

Freaks

1- Rohit Sharma
2- Tillakretne dilshan
3- Virat Kohli
4- Michael Clarke (c)
5- Jos Buttler
6- Shane Watson
7- Lance Klusener
8- Jofra Archer
9- Graeme Swann
10 - Morne Morkel
11- Michael Holding

Summary

Excellent team. Archer is too young in the list to be mentioned though.

This is a pretty good team too. Though Ranatunga at 5 is not that explosive and the 5th bowling option is slightly weak, but decent.

Nathan Astle and Bevan can Bowl as a part timers,Can I change Ranatunga with Scott Styris thus 5th bowling option will look good.

Nathan Astle and Bevan can Bowl as a part timers,Can I change Ranatunga with Scott Styris thus 5th bowling option will look good.

Styris is not a great fifth bowling option either.

And I think we should just stick to the XIs now otherwise it defeats the purpose lol

Back