Hypothetical ODI draft

Exactly.

Cannot just assume thag a lot of average and mediocre ODI players of the 70s/80s/90s would magically become best strikers in today's era.

Assumptions don't work like that because some of the free spirits of today's world would also be occupying more time.on the pitch back in the day.

Viv, Zaheer Abbass, Kapil Dev proved even in that era to be respectable strikers

have you seen Greenidge bat. Hell of a player. Same with Chappell, Azharuddin etc

Hetmyer hasn't played enough. As packages I would say they are similar, as Miller is better with the bat but maxwell has the bowliing, fielding

Bowling is Maxwell's advantage. He also a slightly better sample size.

But I have seen Hetmyer play in front of me as well as a lot of his brutal assaults on India recently. I can definitely testify as a batting talent he's a level above this particular category of batsmen which includes Maxwell Miller ... few.more names you know that I won't disclose as they're not picked yet.

I am happy Ben Stokes promoted himself from that category and he's a proper middle order batsman now who should at all times keep a batting average of 40 or rather 45 going by today's standards.

Hetmyer already averages 45 and that's his range, he should never go below 40.

5 centuries already in less than 50 ODIs. Unbelievable striker who is not just a slogger necessarily like Russel/Brathwaite

have you seen Greenidge bat. Hell of a player. Same with Chappell, Azharuddin etc

3 good test batsmen. In the Top 30-50 range

1 good ODI batsman - Greenidge. Top 30-50 range

1 very good ODI batsman - Azharuddin - Top 25

Bowling is Maxwell's advantage. He also a slightly better sample size.

But I have seen Hetmyer play in front of me as well as a lot of his brutal assaults on India recently. I can definitely testify as a batting talent he's a level above this particular category of batsmen which includes Maxwell Miller ... few.more names you know that I won't disclose as they're not picked yet.

I am happy Ben Stokes promoted himself from that category and he's a proper middle order batsman now who should at all times keep a batting average of 40 or rather 45 going by today's standards.

Hetmyer already averages 45 and that's his range, he should never go below 40.

5 centuries already in less than 50 ODIs. Unbelievable striker who is not just a slogger necessarily like Russel/Brathwaite

Averages 37@107. Not substantially better than 32@123, if at all. When you take into account Maxwell bowling, fielding and the fact he is more proven it is a no brainer. Maxwell is 40@160 in WC's as well vs Hetmyers 37@102

No he was not.

Rohit Sharma is already a Top 5/10 ODI batsman ever.

Greenidge would not make Top 30

Haha lol.. Greenidge was the best ODI opener till Tendulkar came.

Clive Lloyd was among the top4-5 ODI batsmen as well.He hs a a strike rate of 81.

Last edited:
If Gordon Greenidge played ODI cricket today, he would be the Tilakeratne Dilshan of today.

That's it.

Please don't say say he would be Rohit Sharma of today.

The exaggerations of older players are going out of control

Haha lol.. Greenidge was the best ODI opener till Tendulkar came.

That's funny because even in his own team, Desmond Haynes left a greater legacy as an ODI player.

And there was Zaheer Abbass in that era alone who was a level above

Like i said above, Tilakeratne Dilshan of this era which is stil bery respectable

That's funny because even in his own team, Desmond Haynes left a greater legacy as an ODI player.

And there was Zaheer Abbass in that era alone who was a level above

Like i said above, Tilakeratne Dilshan of this era which is stil bery respectable

You are sounding comical now, unexpected from someone who only recently picked a test XI with a lot of great players.

Zaheer Abbas was a no.3 not an opener. Haynes was very good also but Greenidge is widely regarded as one of the greatest ODI opener of all-time.

Averages 37@107. Not substantially better than 32@123, if at all. When you take into account Maxwell bowling, fielding and the fact he is more proven it is a no brainer. Maxwell is 40@160 in WC's as well vs Hetmyers 37@102

World Cup stats mean NOTHING without context.

Maxwell coming off after a 200/3 start is different to Hetmyer usually coming in to bat with West Indies 40/4

Also Hetymer is how many years old in cricket.

2023 world cup is in India. Hetmyer has absolutely nailed batting in subcontinent

I won't ne surprised if he has a phenomenal world cup 2023

Like i said , Hetmer as a batsman is at another to your usual lower order pinch hitters

Overall still, Maxwell averages 32 and after so many years into cricket

Hetmyer just a couple of years after Under 19 cricket averages 37 and is going to get better

Last edited:
If Gordon Greenidge played ODI cricket today, he would be the Tilakeratne Dilshan of today.

That's it.

Would you rate Bairstow (47@105) above Viv (47@90)

World Cup stats mean NOTHING without context.

Maxwell coming off after a 200/3 start is different to Hetmyer usually coming in to bat with West Indies 40/4

Also Hetymer is how many years old in cricket.

2023 world cup is in India. Hetmyer has absolutely nailed batting in subcontinent

I won't ne surprised if he has a phenomenal world cup 2023

Like i said , Hetmer as a batsman is at another to your usual lower order pinch hitters

Overall still, Maxwell averages 32 and after so many years into cricket

Hetmyer just a couple of years after Under 19 cricket averages 37 and is going to get better

Maxwell is good in subcontinent. How may test hundreds does Hetmyer have in India?

That's it.

He would not be the Rohit Sharma of today. He would be an all conditions batsman that steps up in knockout games vs the best bowlers and scores runs

This is sounding like a 2050 era fan claiming that Virat Kohli and MS Dhoni have a strike rate of mid 80s in an era where Bairstow, Roy and Buttler are smashing it at 105-115.

You are sounding comical now, unexpected from someone who only recently picked a test XI with a lot of great players.

Zaheer Abbas was a no.3 not an opener. Haynes was very good also but Greenidge is widely regarded as one of the greatest ODI opener of all-time.

No you are sounding comical.

Show me one post from.past where you have picked Greenidge as your ODI opener.

Please do walk the talk.

In case if I am not online, put any name between Graeme Swann and Mohammad Shami and finish this off, no need to wait. :yk

Thanks!

He would not be the Rohit Sharma of today. He would be an all conditions batsman that steps up in knockout games vs the best bowlers and scores runs

I am actually happy that the propaganda finally came to a point we are questioning greatness of proven modern day all time greats now :))

Rohit Sharma wipes the floor with Mark Waugh/Greenidge/Jayasuriya as an ODI batsman brother. Any condition. Any bowling line up. Any tournament

This is sounding like a 2050 era fan claiming that Virat Kohli and MS Dhoni have a strike rate of mid 80s in an era where Bairstow, Roy and Buttler are smashing it at 105-115.

The holes in your story are so deep i can draw water from them.

Kohli and Dhoni are 2/5 level all time ODI batsmen.

Greenidge is 30-50 on the chart, at best pushing for Top25

Zaheer Abbass, Vic Richards, Miandad were all much better batsmen than Greenidge.

A fan from 2050 even if he has an arguement is likely to target Vic Richards or Zaheer Abbass why would he waste time arguing over Greenidge who would have further slipped beyond Top 70-100 range by then in all honesty :))

Please do walk the talk.

Depends on the opening pair. Tendulkar would bat in all conditions and score big runs every time, so generally Gilchrist becomes an automatic pick.

Virender Sehwag will give me an opening of 70 runs@8 over and then get out, so Greenidge gels well with him. You can't pick a player based on stats.

Stats will show that Amla played in a little more tougher era than Rohit Sharma but both are having similar strike rate. You woudl very well be knowing who you would pick when it comes to scoring fast.

Cannot wait till 2050 actually, maybe I can also make a case of Sangakkara being a clinical ODI batsman by then lol :yk

The holes in your story are so deep i can draw water from them.

<B>Kohli and Dhoni are 2/5 level all time ODI batsmen.</B>

Greenidge is 30-50 on the chart, at best pushing for Top25

Zaheer Abbass, Vic Richards, Miandad were all much better batsmen than Greenidge.

A fan from 2050 even if he has an arguement is likely to target Vic Richards or Zaheer Abbass why would he waste time arguing over Greenidge who would have further slipped beyond Top 70-100 range by then in all honesty :))

Talk about delusions. Greenidge was also 2-5 all time ODI batsmen till the late 90s.

I must put it as a disclaimer that personally speaking I absolutely love Gordon Greenidge
A legend of the game. An iconic opener especially in tests.

But that's it.

There are other great players too, a lot of them from modern era and THEY TOO DESERVE RESPECT

Rohit Sharma ever since he started opening has been UNBELIEVABLY good. Please do check his stats as an opener.

You can literally discard 100 matches of average 30 from his stats.

As an opener across 7-8 years, Hitman averages 60-70 he's literally shattered scoring and sixes records and you are going to tell me he would not score against quality bowling line ups and in big tournaments because you have a team full of outdated and irrelevant old players in an OFI draft?

The guys hit 5 centuries in last world cup

Talk about delusions. Greenidge was also 2-5 all time ODI batsmen till the late 90s.

You answered your own self lol

Till 1990s, by that time ODI cricket was how many years old, 20 years?

I have got news for you!

ODI cricket evolved in the 1990s, literally 7-8 better openers (minimum) emerged ever since.

I must put it as a disclaimer that personally speaking I absolutely love Gordon Greenidge

But that's it.

There are other great players too, a lot of them from modern era and THEY TOO DESERVE RESPECT

Rohit Sharma ever since he started opening has been UNBELIEVABLY good. Please do check his stats as an opener.

As an opener across 7-8 years, Hitman averages 60-70 he's literally shattered scoring and sixes records and you are going to tell me he would not score against quality bowling line ups and in big tournaments because you have a team full of outdated and irrelevant old players in an OFI draft?

It's not about a draft.In draft, I have Sehwag so I am allowed to pick a prolific batter actually. The point is that you are disrespecting a legend of an era. Do tell that will Rohit do great against the moving red ball in 70s-80s as ODI opener against Lillee, Hadlee, Imran and Garner?

The point remains that a champion in one era will remain a champion in other era also, and just because the format of the game was different in that era, you can't undermine a player based on stats.

You answered your own self lol

Till 1990s, by that time ODI cricket was how many years old, 20 years?

I have got news for you!

ODI cricket evolved in the 1990s, literally 7-8 better openers (minimum) emerged ever since.

And there you answered yourself :yk

I agree that in 90s, ODI cricket got evolved with 5-6 ODI openers but Greenidge was the best ODI opener till ODI became 20 years old. So, it must be considered.

IMO, the quality of test cricket also got better since the 70s but we should not be ignoring the best players of the pre-70s era :afridi

Kapil Dev :afridi

:bow:

I have a humble question.

Since relativity is selling hot here. How do you adjust Kapil Dev's batting stats as per today's age then.

All while forgetting he wasn't just the front line fast bowler but THE bowling line up in himself for India during that time.

Last edited:

Please do walk the talk.

Greenidge doesn't get selected as he doesn't hgave an extra skill. THe usual picks are Gilly of Jayasuriya. In terms of raw openers he would be my 2nd picked after Sachin

Kapil Dev :afridi

:bow:

I have a humble question.

Since relativity is selling hot here. How do you adjust Kapil Dev's batting stats as per today's age then.

All while forgetting he wasn't just the front line fast bowler but THE bowling line up in himself for India during that time.

Dev is an ATG worthy of being picked in an all time XI. His bowling average would get worse, and his batting average/SR would be better. I see him averaging 30 with the ball and 30@130 with the bat. More of a Klusener type than a genuine ATG strike bowler

Greenidge doesn't get selected as he doesn't hgave an extra skill. THe usual picks are Gilly of Jayasuriya. In terms of raw openers he would be my 2nd picked after Sachin

He is a legend of the game Greenidge.

Things balance out bro. He gets the respect for tests where we wouldn't put Warner, Haydos yet at his level.

For ODIs considering anyone who played in 1970s is as good as picking anyone from 1940s though. It's now a different soort actually

But that's it.

Legendary vs bowling on flat tracks

I am actually happy that the propaganda finally came to a point we are questioning greatness of proven modern day all time greats now :))

Rohit Sharma wipes the floor with Mark Waugh/Greenidge/Jayasuriya as an ODI batsman brother. Any condition. Any bowling line up. Any tournament

Just don't get a bowler that can swing it and he does fine. Oh and the boundaries have to be 60m. I have played cricket on boundaries significantly longer than that

In case if I am not online, put any name between Graeme Swann and Mohammad Shami and finish this off, no need to wait. :yk

Thanks!

If you want any options Iam ready to help you,I have plenty of them:afridi

Chalo, I pick Graeme Swann over Shami for his fielding. :yk

Lloyd can do medium pace if required. So, I have a leg spinner and an off-spinner.

My next pick is

Newzealand's swashbuckler opener

images (8).jpeg

Nathan Astle

Last edited:
Apun ke punter log xi
01) Quinton de Kock(wk)
02) Nathan Astle
03) Faf du Plesis
04) Ross Taylor
05) Arjuna Ranatunga
06) Michael Bevan
07) Chris Cairns
08) Imran Khan(c)
09) Brad Hogg
10) Chaminda Vaas
11) Shoaib Akhtar

Two dashing openers then a solid middle order and one of the greatest finishers of all time
You have two great all-rounders of the game and one of the greatest captain is leading from the front.

From bowling view

Chaminda Vaas and Imran will take a new ball,Shoaib Akhtar will come as first change then at middle overs you have Brad Hogg and Chris Cairns and some of the part time bowlers including Bevan and Nathan Astle.
Shoaib will bowl at death overs as he has variations.

Here is the summary of my team.

Nathan Astle is a great opener bro.

Although not top tier.

But he's right up there along with Kirsten, Mark Waugh, Greenidge type guys

Mark Waugh averaged 45, Astle averaged 35. Waugh was brilliant in WC's, averaging 53 with lots of hundreds. Tendulkar is in a tier above all other openers and then Mark Waugh is right at the top of the rest with Greenidge, Turner, Anwar

Guys can you please stop throwing names around? Other people still need to pick openers :danish

Apun ke punter log xi
01) Quinton de Kock(wk)
02) Nathan Astle
03) Faf du Plesis
04) Ross Taylor
05) Arjuna Ranatunga
06) Michael Bevan
07) Chris Cairns
08) Imran Khan(c)
09) Brad Hogg
10) Chaminda Vaas
11) Shoaib Akhtar

Two dashing openers then a solid middle order and one of the greatest finishers of all time
You have two great all-rounders of the game and one of the greatest captain is leading from the front.

From bowling view

Chaminda Vaas and Imran will take a new ball,Shoaib Akhtar will come as first change then at middle overs you have Brad Hogg and Chris Cairns and some of the part time bowlers including Bevan and Nathan Astle.
Shoaib will bowl at death overs as he has variations.

Here is the summary of my team.

I highly appreciate your choices. You made some selections which are clearly not as per statistics and available pool of talent but more about impact value and balance.

Chris Cairns was a very inspiring pick

I like the fact that you gave respect to Chamunda Vaas by picking him. At his best one of the best new ball bowlers probably even more threatening than Wasim some times.

Nathan Astle once again top pick towards the end

Brad Hogg amazing spinner very underrated

Du Plessis

De Kock

All value for money and top players for their respective roles in the team.

Well done bro

I highly appreciate your choices. You made some selections which are clearly not as per statistics and available pool of talent but more about impact value and balance.

I like the fact that you gave respect to Chamunda Vaas by picking him. At his best one of the best new ball bowlers probably even more threatening than Wasim some times.

Du Plessis

De Kock

Well done bro

Agreed great team got all bases covered. Hardest selection is captaincy with Imran vs Arjuna

Mark Waugh averaged 45, Astle averaged 35. Waugh was brilliant in WC's, averaging 53 with lots of hundreds. Tendulkar is in a tier above all other openers and then Mark Waugh is right at the top of the rest with Greenidge, Turner, Anwar

First I was thinking of picking Glenn Turner but most of the users are young so I have to change my mind.

My all time XI

Virender Sehwag
Gordon Greenidge
Brian Lara
Aravinda de Silva
Clive Lloyd(c)
Andy Flower(wkt)
Ian Botham
Wasim Akram
Abdul Qadir
Graeme Swann
Dennis Lillee

A short write-up of my team

Virender Sehwag- One of the most destructive ODI opener at the top

Gordon Greenidge- Among the top 5 ODI opener of all-time

Brian Lara - An aggressive no.3 batsmen and would have averaged 50 at strike rate 100 today

Aravinda de Silva - Another aggressive batsmen, the man of match in World Cup 1996 final,will strike at 100 today, a better ODI batsmen than Sangakkara and an extra spin option

Clive Lloyd - The two times World Cup winning captain, man of match in World Cup 1975 final, will strike at 100 today, a good medium pace option

Andy Flower - The best wicket keeper batsmen of 90s era, as good as Sangakkara

Ian Botham - Great bowler, Outstanding fielder and an aggressive hitter at no.7

Wasim Akram - The greatest ODI bowler ever with 500+ wickets and a pinch hitter in lower order

Abdul Qadir - The greatest leg spinner after Shane Warne, averages same as Warne in ODIs

Graeme Swann - An attacking off spinner, a very intelligent reader of the game and a smart tactician

Dennis Lillee - The most complete fast bowler of all-time, bowling average of 20 in ODIs

Last edited:
My all time XI

Virender Sehwag
Gordon Greenidge
Brian Lara
Aravinda de Silva
Clive Lloyd(c)
Andy Flower(wkt)
Ian Botham
Wasim Akram
Abdul Qadir
Graeme Swann
Dennis Lillee

A short write-up of my team

Virender Sehwag- The most destructive ODI opener

Gordon Greenidge- Among the top 5 ODI opener of all-time

Brian Lara - An aggressive no.3 batsmen and would have averaged 50 at strike rate 100 today

Aravinda de Silva - Another aggressive batsmen, the man of match in World Cup 1996 final,will strike at 100 today, a better ODI batsmen than Sangakkara and an extra spin option

Clive Lloyd - The two times World Cup winning captain, man of match in World Cup 1975 final, will strike at 100 today, a good medium pace option

Andy Flower - The best wicket keeper batsmen of 90s era, as good as Sangakkara

Ian Botham - Great bowler, Outstanding fielder and an aggressive hitter at no.7

Wasim Akram - The greatest ODI bowler ever with 500+ wickets and a pinch hitter in lower order

Abdul Qadir - The greatest leg spinner after Shane Warne, averages same as Warne in ODIs

Graeme Swann - An attacking off spinner, a very intelligent reader of the game and a smart tactician

Dennis Lillee - The most complete fast bowler of all-time, bowling average of 20 in ODIs

LOL at Flower and Arvinda being as good as Sangakarra :)))

First I was thinking of picking Glenn Turner but most of the users are young so I have to change my mind.

Oh God, another one from the 60 overs cricket era of world class strike rate of 55-65

Let's trash talk on some weird selections of other teams now lol this is fun :afridi

Spare [MENTION=139595]Ab Fan[/MENTION] :))

He's coped enough phainty today for the Ancient XI

lol

There are other teams too :akhtar

Du Plessis

De Kock

Well done bro

Thanks bhaijaan much appreciated.

Spare [MENTION=139595]Ab Fan[/MENTION] :))

He's coped enough phainty today for the Ancient XI

lol

There are other teams too :akhtar

I don't need to cope any phainty buddy, I know when you troll and when your are fine lol :yk

I have watched Andy Flower and De Silva and they were considered one of the best batsmen during their era and they belong to same era as SRT did. Cheers! :afridi

I don't need to cope any phainty buddy, I know when you troll and when your are fine lol :yk

I have watched Andy Flower and De Silva and they were considered one of the best batsmen during their era and they belong to same era as SRT did. Cheers! :afridi

Cheers bro.

Just playing mind games on a Sunday .

:afridi

Great players much respect

Roast my team now

1.Herschelle Gibbs-Has 21 odi hundredsamongst top 10 odi openers,average of 57 in world cups.A player of all conditions as he was greatin odis but also a fine test player.The best South african opener in odis

2.Jonny Bairstow-Avg of 48 at 105 str rate with 9 100s to his name,also he has kept wickets for england in all formats and is a fine test player,can play well in swinging,seaming conditions too.

3.Viv Richards-GOAT,nuff said

4.Jaques Kallis-The rock of this lineup,immovable.An all conditions player.

5.Inzamam-ul-haq-Pakistan's best middle order player, has good stats as finisher and a good power hitter too.

6.Suresh Raina-Clutch player,str rate of 94 in odis and a great fielder also provides spin option.

7.David Miller-Avgs 40 in odis and strikes at 101,also has a great world cup record with avg of 52 at str rate 118.Great fielder

8.Malcolm Marshall-A very economical odi bowler and on his day can rattle the best of batting lineups.Also a handy batsman down the order with two fifties in odis.Skiddy bowler ,will utiise any movement available
9.Saqlain Mushtaq-GOAT ODI SPINNER
10.Joel GARNER-Amongst top 3 odi bowlers ever.6'10 tall can extract bounce on even the most docile surfaces.

11.Waqar Younis-13 five wicket hauls in odis,great str rate of 30,fast and furious.

The most important quality of my team is that most of the players can play in any era in any conditions.

Roast my team now

1.Herschelle Gibbs-Has 21 odi hundredsamongst top 10 odi openers,average of 57 in world cups.A player of all conditions as he was greatin odis but also a fine test player.The best South african opener in odis

2.Jonny Bairstow-Avg of 48 at 105 str rate with 9 100s to his name,also he has kept wickets for england in all formats and is a fine test player,can play well in swinging,seaming conditions too.

5.Inzamam-ul-haq-Pakistan's best middle order player, has good stats as finisher and a good power hitter too.

6.Suresh Raina-Clutch player,str rate of 94 in odis and a great fielder also provides spin option.

7.David Miller-Avgs 40 in odis and strikes at 101,also has a great world cup record with avg of 52 at str rate 118.Great fielder

8.Malcolm Marshall-A very economical odi bowler and on his day can rattle the best of batting lineups.Also a handy batsman down the order with two fifties in odis.Skiddy bowler ,will utiise any movement available
10.Joel GARNER-Amongst top 3 odi bowlers ever.6'10 tall can extract bounce on even the most docile surfaces.

11.Waqar Younis-13 five wicket hauls in odis,great str rate of 30,fast and furious.

The most important quality of my team is that most of the players can play in any era in any conditions.

Viv bad all 80's players suck [MENTION=65183]freelance_cricketer[/MENTION].

Bairstow can play swing hahaha wrong.

great team man

Roast my team now

Suresh Raina was an inspiring selection. Well done for showing confidence.

I was tempted to pick Ajay Jadeja just to give it to you during this draft :yk but thankfully didn't give in to the urge :))

Btw Shane Warne threw a cigerette at Saqlain being called GOAT :warne

Back