Hypothetical ODI draft

I was really surprised you went with Shikhar Dhawan. Never expected that Greenidge will stay till my turn. He is rated as one of the best opening batsmen.

I had Greenidge lined up as my last pick.

Might have picked him in this round too but I thought that people might be more familiar with Dhawan due to his current standing in the game and his performance in ICC tournaments.

Greenidge has a terrific rankings graph. Top 10 for almost 12 straight years from 1979-1991.

rsgBdqR.png

How about a double meaning — he can defend 15 runs but can he defend 14? :afridi

No he can't bowl at death. Obviously you know more than English think tank who had to amend rules so Archer could play the WC. Please tell Morgan how misguided he's who thinks he's the best death bowler in the world :dw

Might have picked him in this round too but I thought that people might be more familiar with Dhawan due to his current standing in the game and his performance in ICC tournaments.

Greenidge has a terrific rankings graph. Top 10 for almost 12 straight years from 1979-1991.

rsgBdqR.png

Personally, if there was a Gayle or Warner left, I might have picked them over Greenidge as well because of this reason. That was also the reason I was confused between Qadir and a present day spinner : afridi

But I think that a lot of posters are well aware of atleast the top cricketers from the 70s onwards so it should not be much of any issue, it's generally before the 70s that very few know.

Last edited:

rsgBdqR.png

Don't think many posters would be interested to rank the teams though. Response is very low in test draft thread. :afaq

Can you tag active posters in that thread? :usman

For Jofra Archer, it's not the small sample size that hurts his status as a dominant fast bowler but the fact that he almost three away the world cup final defending 15+ score

Personally, if there was a Gayle or Warner left, I might have picked them over Greenidge as well because of this reason. That was also the reason I was confused between Qadir and a present day spinner : afridi

But I think that a lot of posters are well aware of atleast the top cricketers from the 70s onwards so it should not be much of any issue, it's generally before the 70s that very few know.

I agree, perhaps a poor choice on my part.

Let's see who I can get in the last round...

Kuldeep, Chahal, Shadab or Rashid Khan?

I'd pick Kuldeep out of these 4

Kuldeep, Chahal, Shadab or Rashid Khan?

I'd pick Kuldeep out of these 4

Kuldeep is warming bench these days in Indian ODI squad. He was brilliant when he started but teams have worked out him. It has to be a leg spinner, i.e, Rashid Khan. I won't pick him because I have one now.

The speech

Ever since media made me a star people compared me with Sir Don Bradman. I was fortunate to be even spoken in the same sentence and to have actually met him in person was one of the biggest highlights of of my career personally speaking. Afterwards with emergence of a new talent i always heard talks of comparison. Many such great talents came and went but Babar Azam has stood out in my eyes as the player that resembles me the most. I am proud to welcome young Babar into our family as our #1 batsman. I him me and Haydoz the old guys will be able to give him good support :srt

A star.

An icon in the making.

View attachment 101032

Bhaijaan XI

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Shahid Afridi
4. Babar Azam
7. Brendon McCullum (wk)
8. Kapil Dev (c)
9. Shane Warne
10. Brett Lee
11. Mohammad Amir

no one has compared him to the Don

Needed a leadership option too...

3. Zaheer Abbas
4. Mohammad Azharuddin (c)
5. AB de Villiers (wk)
6. Yuvraj Singh
7. Ben Stokes
8. Mitchell Johnson
9. Andy Roberts
10. Imran Tahir
11. Lasith Malinga

teams with Azharuddin captain are automatically banned for match fixing...

Darren Gough and Glenn Maxwell

Picking up England's greatest ever ODI bowler, as well as the batsmen with the 2nd highest SR ever, who also averages 40, striking at 160, in World Cup's completes my team.

Mark Waugh
Sanath Jayasuriya
Joe Root
Dean Jones
Shakib al Hasan
Ms Dhoni (c, w)
Glenn Maxwell
Mitchell Starc
Trent Boult
Darren Gough
Allan Donald

Maxwell will shift around the order e lot depending on when her is coming in as he is by far my fastest scoring bat. Jayasuriya will be given full license to tee off, as Waugh and Root can easily chip it around at 90 SR if he doesn't come off. I am placing my best batsmen at 4, but he can come in at three if off to a good start as he will score faster than Root. We all know Shakib's exploits from the WC, but he, along with Maxwell and Jayasuriya also give me more spin options that most other teams.

Boult and Starc will be my two opening bowlers, as Donald was quite accustomed to bowling first change behind Pollock and De Villiers for SA, where his pace ensures he remains a weapon. Gough is my main death bowler, as he mastered yorkers and slower balls during his career to make him one of the
pre-eminent death bowlers in the world.

Picking up England's greatest ever ODI bowler, as well as the batsmen with the 2nd highest SR ever, who also averages 40, striking at 160, in World Cup's completes my team.

Mark Waugh
Sanath Jayasuriya
Joe Root
Dean Jones
Shakib al Hasan
Ms Dhoni (c, w)
Glenn Maxwell
Mitchell Starc
Trent Boult
Darren Gough
Allan Donald

Maxwell will shift around the order e lot depending on when her is coming in as he is by far my fastest scoring bat. Jayasuriya will be given full license to tee off, as Waugh and Root can easily chip it around at 90 SR if he doesn't come off. I am placing my best batsmen at 4, but he can come in at three if off to a good start as he will score faster than Root. We all know Shakib's exploits from the WC, but he, along with Maxwell and Jayasuriya also give me more spin options that most other teams.

Boult and Starc will be my two opening bowlers, as Donald was quite accustomed to bowling first change behind Pollock and De Villiers for SA, where his pace ensures he remains a weapon. Gough is my main death bowler, as he mastered yorkers and slower balls during his career to make him one of the

Solid team.

Strengths: Pace attack (I don't rate Boult though, he's a conditions bowler. World class on seaming tracks of NZ and England. Crap everywhere else)
Bowling options: 4 pacers + 3 decent spinners

Weakness: Finishing - Your team would heavily rely on Dhoni to finish innings as Maxwell is a hit or miss and fails more often than he delivers while Shakib is an accumulator

Lack of a quality attacking spinner (I have the same weakness, should have picked Qadir in time)

Last edited:
Solid team.

Strengths: Pace attack (I don't rate Boult though, he's a conditions bowler. World class on seaming tracks of NZ and England. Crap everywhere else)
Bowling options: 4 pacers + 3 decent spinners

Weakness: Finishing - Your team would heavily rely on Dhoni to finish innings as Maxwell is a hit or miss and fails more often than he delivers while Shakib is an accumulator

Lack of a quality attacking spinner (I have the same weakness, should have picked Qadir in time)

Dhoni is the 2nd greatest finisher of all time. Apart from Bevan there isn't anyone I'd prefer

Mark Waugh
Sanath Jayasuriya
Joe Root
Dean Jones
Shakib al Hasan
Ms Dhoni (c, w)
Glenn Maxwell
Mitchell Starc
Trent Boult
Darren Gough
Allan Donald

A solid team this one. Will give a more detailed review once all teams are finalised.

Dhoni is the 2nd greatest finisher of all time. Apart from Bevan there isn't anyone I'd prefer

Yeah as I said you'll rely heavily on Dhoni but he might not have the same support at the other end as he had in Indian team from Yuvi and Raina as Maxwell is Afridi 2.0 in terms of reliability.

You agree with my point re Boult?

Yeah as I said you'll rely heavily on Dhoni but he might not have the same support at the other end as he had in Indian team from Yuvi and Raina as Maxwell is Afridi 2.0 in terms of reliability.

You agree with my point re Boult?

Agree with Boult a bit, but he was the 5th leading wicket taker at the WC and has proved himself in different conditions. Good point re Dhoni, but Jones, Jayasuriya score very quickly so I should be able to chase easy without having to get it too late

Agree with Boult a bit, but he was the 5th leading wicket taker at the WC and has proved himself in different conditions. Good point re Dhoni, but Jones, Jayasuriya score very quickly so I should be able to chase easy without having to get it too late

Yeah, world cup was in England and somehow NZ had the most low scoring games on pace friendly wickets. Vs Pakistan, South Africa, Afghanistan, Semi final vs India, Final where even Grandhomme became unplayable. This is Boult's record outside NZ and England:

Boult.png

[MENTION=151648]therealAB[/MENTION] But ofcourse you can't have a perfect ODI XI like we had in tests drafts because of vast pool of players. There is a very limited pool to pick from when it comes to ODI's, this is why every team would have a few weaknesses

[MENTION=151648]therealAB[/MENTION] But ofcourse you can't have a perfect ODI XI like we had in tests drafts because of vast pool of players. However, there is a very limited pool to pick from when it comes to ODI's, this is why every team would have a few weaknesses

Didn't realise how poor his record is, that is poor. Anyway I have Starc and Donald, and 7 options so if he gets caned then he can sit off a bit

Just wondering should I go for an off-spinner from England or a fast bowler for my final pick?

On a serious note, FC is left with no.3 spot as Afridi suits at 6th.

Bhaijaan XI

Sachin Tendulkar
Matthew Hayden
Shahid Afridi
Babar Azam
KL Rahul
Shimron Hetmyer
Brendon McCullum (wk)
Kapil Dev (c)
Shane Warne
Brett Lee
Mohammad Amir

That's the propaganda of people choosing some very average to below average batsmen of the 1970s-80s-90s

Forget about strike rates, do have a look at the batting averages of these batsmen.

Afridi is the only boom/bust player in that side, strategically placed as pinch hitter :afridi

Last edited:
A shameful strike rate of 60-70 does not make one a stable batsman for ODI cricket.

Some of these teams carrying below average players of even their own eras are going to struggle big time keeping up with the tempo of Bhaijaan XI :))

:srt

[MENTION=146232]jeeteshssaxena[/MENTION], jaldi karo Bhai..I gotta go in a while.

A shameful strike rate of 60-70 does not make one a stable batsman for ODI cricket.

Some of these teams carrying below average players of even their own eras are going to struggle big time keeping up with the tempo of Bhaijaan XI :))

Lol, only Miandad and Greenidge are the ones that are picked with a strike rate below 70.

Babar won't have been striking more than 70 either in that era.

Greenidge would average 50 striking at 50 these days. Look at their bats!

Your team could score high, or get out for 100 as apart from SRT none of the batsmen are proven against top quality bowling

Expect a lot of cover ups coming now that the pandora box has opened :)

Like ohhhhhhh man this batsman would be striking a lot better today and blah blah :yk

Is runner going to be allowed by the way. #Ranatunga :))

I will make my final pick. JS has to pick a no.7 ,so he will pick an all-rounder.

My final pick is <B>Graeme Swann/ Mohammad Shami</B>

Graeme Swann is a great attacking off-spinner and a very good fielder to compliment with my leg spin Abdul Qadir.

Mohammad Shami is the greatest modern era ODI bowler with the old ball.

Greenidge would average 50 striking at 50 these days. Look at their bats!

Your team could score high, or get out for 100 as apart from SRT none of the batsmen are proven against top quality bowling

That's propaganda against modern day players going extreme.

If anything most of the batsmen in my time have displayed great fearlessness and success against quality fast bowling.

Rahul, Babar, Hetmyer, McCullum, Kapil would ALL smoke Archer/Starc type of bowlers by the way.

This is while conveniently ignoring Tendulkar, Hayden who would have already covered 20-30 overs if batting anyway

Last edited:
Expect a lot of cover ups coming now that the pandora box has opened :)

Like ohhhhhhh man this batsman would be striking a lot better today and blah blah :yk

Is runner going to be allowed by the way. #Ranatunga :))

They would strike faster, that is not debatable. Boundaries were 20% higher and bats were like toothpicks. How much is debatable, but an ATG like Greenidge would be doing better than Roy/Bairstow/Warner. You would have to be a brave man to not agree with that

If anything most of the batsmen in my time have displayed great fearlessness and success against quality fast bowling.

Rahul, Babar, Hetmyer, McCullum, Kapil would ALL smoke Archer/Starc type of bowlers by the way.

This is while conveniently ignoring Tendulkar, Hayden who would have already covered 20-30 overs if batting anyway

What do you mean they would smoke them. Starc is doing exceptionally well against those batsmen in this era where everything is weighted for batsmen.

BTW Hayden wasn't a top tier ODI batsmen. He often couldn't even get in the team early in his career, and bullied opposition when conditions became easier. Waugh, Gilchrist >> Hayden in ODI cricket and Warner is probs =

Bhaijaan is on troll mode, should be ignored. He will be fine till evening.

I will make my final pick. JS has to pick a no.7 ,so he will pick an all-rounder.

My final pick is <B>Graeme Swann/ Mohammad Shami</B>

Graeme Swann is a great attacking off-spinner and a very good fielder to compliment with my leg spin Abdul Qadir.

Mohammad Shami is the greatest modern era ODI bowler with the old ball.
Which one are u selecting

They would strike faster, that is not debatable. Boundaries were 20% higher and bats were like toothpicks. How much is debatable, but an ATG like Greenidge would be doing better than Roy/Bairstow/Warner. You would have to be a brave man to not agree with that
They would surely strike faster in modern era but even gavaskar has a str rate of 63 so Greenidge's str rate(64) is low even if we factor in the challenges of that era.
Thats the reason i didn't pick him
If someone like gavaskar who is known as a snail has the same str rate as greenidge then
Its obvious that even greenidge was slow.

I think we can safely assume that he has picked Graeme Swann. He has mentioned him first to indicate first priority. Lets move on and finish up.

Miller averages 24 vs 33 for Maxwell. Do not see what you mean by more consistent. Plus Maxwell has an ATG WC record

Hain? Do you mean in WCs?

Why rate only the performances in World Cup? :))

Miller’s career average is 40 and he is a clean striker as well and definitely more consistent than Maxwell.

Hain? Do you mean in WCs?

Why rate only the performances in World Cup? :))

Miller’s career average is 40 and he is a clean striker as well and definitely more consistent than Maxwell.

Nope you are right.

Although WC's do count for more, Miller is def greater

Fortunate enough, there is a Sehwag alongside Greenidge that people will also look :afridi

They would surely strike faster in modern era but even gavaskar has a str rate of 63 so Greenidge's str rate(64) is low even if we factor in the challenges of that era.
Thats the reason i didn't pick him
If someone like gavaskar who is known as a snail has the same str rate as greenidge then
Its obvious that even greenidge was slow.

Exactly.

Cannot just assume thag a lot of average and mediocre ODI players of the 70s/80s/90s would magically become best strikers in today's era.

Assumptions don't work like that because some of the free spirits of today's world would also be occupying more time.on the pitch back in the day.

Viv, Zaheer Abbass, Kapil Dev proved even in that era to be respectable strikers

Exactly.

Cannot just assume thag a lot of average and mediocre ODI players of the 70s/80s/90s would magically become best strikers in today's era.

Assumptions don't work like that because some of the free spirits of today's world would also be occupying more time.on the pitch back in the day.

Viv, Zaheer Abbass, Kapil Dev proved even in that era to be respectable strikers

Greenidge was <B>Rohit Sharma</B> of those days.

Back