Eng v S.L [3rd test] - Trent Bridge

Amjid Javed

PakPassion's 100,000 posts man
Runs
Post of the Week
England lead series 1-0 with this last test to play and will be favourites to wrap up series 2-0. For sri lanka to have any chance of winning the series they will have to bat alot better in their 1st inns. Playing catch up cricket in test matches will always end up in defeat 9 times out of 10. FTB speacalist samaraweera is dropped and jayasuriya is likely to play in the middle order. Murali will be hoping for more support from his fellow bowlers in this test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trent Bridge always offers something for the swing bowler so i wouldnt be suprised if Jon Lewis is put in for Mahmood. Hoggard and Plunkett i think will bowl well, Hoggard always bowls well at Trent Bridge. For Sri Lanka i think Vaas and Zoysa will be key. They can get the ball to move in the air so they have to take advantage of the conditions or England will get away from them. The Sri Lankan batsman also have to perform as their first innings effort in both the first tests have been poor. They've felt for the ball far too often outside the off stump resulting in an edge.

Vaas needs to start bowling for wickets rather than economy. Up to now he has been at 70% if that. Zoysa's bounce combined with accuracy could trouble a few.

Lanka should open with Sanath and bat Tharanga at 3, I think Sanga needs to bat a little lower.

Vaas needs to bowl a bit quicker i mean a lot quicker !

i saw one at 69 mph that was hit for 4 by KP and no it wasnt a slower ball . . . .

Vass to me looks like a spent force, once you lose youre zip as a bowler thats it youve had it. espcially if you are a swing bowler.

Sorry, didn't see this thread.

Merge my thread with this one please, MODS.

Rob H said:
Trent Bridge always offers something for the swing bowler so i wouldnt be suprised if Jon Lewis is put in for Mahmood. Hoggard and Plunkett i think will bowl well, Hoggard always bowls well at Trent Bridge. For Sri Lanka i think Vaas and Zoysa will be key. They can get the ball to move in the air so they have to take advantage of the conditions or England will get away from them. The Sri Lankan batsman also have to perform as their first innings effort in both the first tests have been poor. They've felt for the ball far too often outside the off stump resulting in an edge.
am i good or am i good?

It seems as if i'm masterminding the England team of late

I think this game will be the one where the English batsman have to cash in. With Vaughan coming back now they really have to bully the Sri Lankan attack and get runs under their name. Someone has to go and the person who hasnt performed as well as the others will be sacrificed. Collingwood v Cook for me.

what a shi--y decision to Drop Sajjid Mahmood for Lewis!!! Saj was bowling quite well in this series :12:

is this yet another wrong decision made by SL of batting first? as u say this pitch is always helpful for swing bowling ? :13:

Lankans only have one stratgy: Bat first, get big runs, and then unleash the wizard, Murali.

Immy Ji said:
what a shi--y decision to Drop Sajjid Mahmood for Lewis!!! Saj was bowling quite well in this series :12:
For all those who believe that dropping Mahmood for a 30 year old guy is wrong should really look at the facts. Mahmood was only a fill in bowler in the first place. As soon as GBH, Anderson and Simon Jones were fit he was back to Old Trafford. Plus people talk about him as if he is going to be the next Pigeon or Ambrose. He's a good bowler, yes, but he is no where near world class.

I am backing the England team on this because the conditions warrant Lewis' selection. He has been the best county swing bowler for about 4-5 seasons now. Plus he also did a job over the Sri Lankans in the warm up match.

Lewis gets his first wicket, Vandort bowled.

Good stuff. :)

prediction- SL 162 all out

Rob H said:
Where have all you Lewis haters gone now????????

:20:

No offence but I don't think anyone on PakPassion really cares about the guy enough to hate him.

Hash said:
:20:

No offence but I don't think anyone on PakPassion really cares about the guy enough to hate him.
ok then, osman cough cough

its allrite for you youngsters to watch the game live i am at work!!!!

anyone know what SL's best opening partnership in this series is, pretty confident its below 5, on the other hand compared to SL paks opening combination looks brilliant

Not a bad start by the Sri Lankans.

Good start by the Lankans, Tharanga has looked much better at the crease today.

57-1

65-1

Hopefully, we won't lose another wicket till lunch.

We are also going at 3.5 per over.......a healthy run rate unlike the last test when we were struggling to get it above 2.5.

Still some batting to come and at the moment things are looking pretty good.

66 for 1

Tharanga not out 24
Sangakarra not out 30

Keep going boys!

Flintoff has bowled four no balls in 3.3 overs!

Keep it up Freddie! :)))

82-1

Both batsman unbeaten on 34.

Sangakarra gone

Biased cheat Hair gives him out caught behind.

84 for 2

Sanga gone.

I'm not watching live at the moment, was it out or not?

Poor guy hasn't been able to convert his starts thus far in this series.

Easatheman said:
Sanga gone.

I'm not watching live at the moment, was it out or not?

Poor guy hasn't been able to convert his starts thus far in this series.

came off his pad. Hair the cheat does it again.

Tharanga gone now too

Perhaps my 162 prediction was not far off

Why is Mahmood dropped????? I could understand if either Harmison, Jones or Anderson was back but Lewis?????:20:

24.5 Hoggard to Tharanga, OUT, after having left so well all morning, Tharanga chases one that is full just outside the off, slight movement gets a solid edge and a waist high catch to Jones

Hoggard takes Tharanga now........Lankans in trouble YET again.

Why is Jayasurya coming down at 6????? He is a much better player than that, it would be nice to see typical Jayasuriya MASSACRE :D

86 for 4

We are falling apart here.

haha was joking yaar . found it funny about the WE thing. well 162 is still far for them since both their 2 best batters are out

why alec ? ? ?

Waseem said:
Why is Jayasurya coming down at 6????? He is a much better player than that, it would be nice to see typical Jayasuriya MASSACRE :D

i think thats a good move as ball will not swing that much and he might murder england

Juggernaut Jayasuria in next.

Hoping for some beastly carnage. :16:

Last edited:
Fred needs to sort out this no ball problem.

His figures read 6.2-1-15-2 but only seven of those runs have come off the bat.

214/9 murali 24 (10) never knew he had the ability to hit the ball all over the ground

Easatheman said:
65-1

Hopefully, we won't lose another wicket till lunch.
:))) :))) :))) :)))

Great effort to skittle the middle order once again. Bit disappointed we let the lower order get away from us again.

4/0 off the first over.

Tresco possibly run out... looks touch and go!

Tresco gone, superb throw from malinga.

eng 39/2

Day 2 about to start and sri lanka need to get KP early.

Big wicket this.

If we can get Pieterson quickly then England will be in all sorts of trouble.

just what we didnt need. We need a 100 partnership to stamp our authority on the game. Losing wickets at regular intervals isnt going to help.

Good 100 run partnership Rob!

Pieterson is out. 118 for 4 now England. England have a long tail....another wicket before lunch and we will be in very good shape indeed.

Peiterson GONE...big wicket that

Murali strikes with a doosra

England 118/4 (37.0 ov)

Flintoff GONE!

118 FOR 5!

:))) :108: :108:

At Lunch:

England 139/5 (45.0 ov)

trailing by 92

Collingwood 15*
Jones 14*

Really good start by us today, hopefully we can push on after lunch, and wrap up the rest of the innings under 200.

i got a feeling that this srilanka vs England series will be just like Pakistanvs India in 2005

pre series notions - both England and India were favorites to clinch the series with some even reckoning a 3-0 white wash

1st test - both Pakistan and Srilanka fought their way back from certain death to get to a position of safety on the last day ---and had more time had been made avalible to them both might have won the game

2nd test -- both sides lost the initiative they gained on first test by losing the second one

3rd test -- Srilankans like Pakistanis are determined to make a fight of this test and seeing the way they have fought back from any mini crisis they faced in this test .....it is not unrealistic to predict that they qwill win this series to level it 1-1

Easatheman said:
Really good start by us today, hopefully we can push on after lunch, and wrap up the rest of the innings under 200.

:20: Isn't Pakistan meant to play England next month? :10:

Uzzy said:
:20: Isn't Pakistan meant to play England next month? :10:

WE and US is meant to signify the fact that I am supporting the Lankans and not the POMS.

Hussain said:
i got a feeling that this srilanka vs England series will be just like Pakistanvs India in 2005

pre series notions - both England and India were favorites to clinch the series with some even reckoning a 3-0 white wash

1st test - both Pakistan and Srilanka fought their way back from certain death to get to a position of safety on the last day ---and had more time had been made avalible to them both might have won the game

2nd test -- both sides lost the initiative they gained on first test by losing the second one

3rd test -- Srilankans like Pakistanis are determined to make a fight of this test and seeing the way they have fought back from any mini crisis they faced in this test .....it is not unrealistic to predict that they qwill win this series to level it 1-1

Good analysis, might be the case in the end.

Easatheman said:
:))) :)))

This game is set up nicely and i like it. It finally gives the chance for Jones and Collingwood to prove themselves. If either of them get a 50 or 60 then it'd worth a 100 in these conditions. Hopefully one of them can really show why they're in the team (preferable Jones).

Haven't been watching on tv as the weather is too good to be a hermit so been listening on the radio while catching some rays, was the ball to get Flintoff really that bad?

Easatheman said:
WE and US is meant to signify the fact that I am supporting the Lankans and not the POMS.
please don't use that word as you are not an antipode!

Easatheman said:

So you adopt a different nationality whenever a team is playing England? :p

Uzzy said:
So you adopt a different nationality whenever a team is playing England? :p

Except for when that team is India.

When that happens, I just hope that everybody gets injured and they abandon the game. :>

Rob H said:
please don't use that word as you are not an antipode!

Sure thing

Now go and wipe my shoes, Pom! :p

Vaas has bowled much better in this test match then the two before this. Finally, finding some rhythm.

Murali to bowl from the other end.

142-5 (47)

Jones looking more positive than in other innings i've seen him play. Currently on 18*.

Collingwood on the other hand is taking his time.

I guess the most important thing England now is not too loose any more quick wickets otherwise the rest could be knocked over quickly!

UJ said:
Collingwood on the other hand is taking his time.

I guess the most important thing England now is not too loose any more quick wickets otherwise the rest could be knocked over quickly!
That is the big worry as seen in the last match (5 wickets for 5 runs)

to come
Plunkett - not bad but prefers the ball coming onto the bat than spin
Hoggard - limited ability, no real scoring shots
Lewis - Shot player, he is like a Murali who's better who'll always chance his arm
Panesar - Legend, Pigeon-esque batsman.

Colly blazing along,

22 (96) at a phenomenal strike rate of 22.91. :O

Last edited:
Back