England (141 & 279/5) defeat New Zealand (132 & 285) by 5 wickets to win the 1st Test at Lord's

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
England (141 & 279/5) defeat New Zealand (132 & 285) by 5 wickets to win the 1st Test at Lord's

With both teams well behind in the race for a spot at the World Test Championship 2023 final, the series could be decisive for their respective campaigns.

It's a new era for England cricket, with Kiwi great Brendon McCullum in charge of his first game as coach and skipper Ben Stokes taking control as captain.

Ironically, both McCullum and Stokes were born in New Zealand so there are plenty of different story lines heading into the first of three Test matches for the series.

Both McCullum and Stokes are well known for their attacking prowess, so expect this England side to play some exciting cricket as they attempt to work their way back into contention for the ICC World Test Championship.

World Test Championship Standings
England only managed one Test victory over the last 12 months under old skipper Joe Root and will hand recalls to experienced duo James Anderson and Stuart Broad to try and add to that tally as quickly as possible.

Stokes has also confirmed he will bat at No.6, with Root to return to his preferred position at No.4, a move that will also hopefully bolster the middle-order.

Their quest for victory will not be easy though, despite New Zealand's own struggles during the current World Test Championship period that sees them sit in sixth place on the standings.

World Test Championship Predictor
Kane Williamson's side could only manage drawn home series against Bangladesh and South Africa, meaning they also need to chase victories during this series.

They will have happy recent memories of playing in the UK, having won the inaugural World Test Championship against India in Southampton last year and certainly won't be overawed by playing against England away from home with many experienced players in their line-up.

Remember the last time

It was an old-fashioned England collapse late on the third day that handed New Zealand the ascendancy in the pivotal second Test in Birmingham. England were all out for just 122 in their second innings with pace duo Matt Henry and Neil Wagner picking up three wickets apiece in the demolition. It left the Kiwis chasing a paltry 38 for victory on the fourth day and they reached that target within 11 overs and for the loss of just two wickets as England fell to a 1-0 series defeat.

What they said

England seamer Stuart Broad: "We have only been together as a squad since Monday morning. Brendon and Stokesy have led one training session and we go again this afternoon. There is an exciting feel to the group. We went to St George's Park last week for a couple of days and the team meal that night there was a lot of energy and a lot of focus to get going for an international summer."

New Zealand coach Gary Stead: "It's a 50 per cent chance for both teams of winning the game when you start. It's just winning small moments and then the result will look after itself."

ICC Review guest Shane Watson: "It's going to be a fascinating series. I am hoping for England's sake that they can turn things around as they have definitely got the capability and the world class players, they just need to bring it all together. But New Zealand are always a team that just gets it done."

Predicted XIs

Kiwi quick Trent Boult is not expected to play in the first Test, with Henry Nicholls (calf) in a race against time to prove his fitness. Michael Bracewell is on standby.

England have named a 13-man squad for the first two Tests, leaving Rory Burns, Dom Sibley, Haseeb Hameed and Dawid Malan. Alex Lees has been recalled, while Harry Brook and Matthew Potts could make their Test debuts.

Likely England XI: Alex Lees, Zak Crawley, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Jonny Bairstow, Ben Stokes, Ben Foakes, Craig Overton, Stuart Broad, Jack Leach, James Anderson.

Likely New Zealand XI: Tom Latham, Will Young, Kane Williamson, Devon Conway, Henry Nicholls, Daryl Mitchell, Tom Blundell, Kyle Jamieson, Tim Southee, Neil Wagner, Matt Henry

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2637829

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it

Pope at #3 is interesting as he has not done much for a while now and Brook is tearing up trees, averaging 140 in the CC.

Keep Bairstow down the order where he has done well of late,

Good to see Foakes retain his place. Looks like this management team wants a real keeper.

Pope at #3 is interesting as he has not done much for a while now and Brook is tearing up trees, averaging 140 in the CC.

Good to see Foakes retain his place. Looks like this management team wants a real keeper.

Foakes has kept well only in patches. He's one of the worst international keepers going around by some metrics.

<b>Series preview</b>

My view as expressed previously on PP remains the same, in that the more realistic aim for England’s Test team this summer is to try and defeat South Africa 2-1 across three Test matches.

This New Zealand series meanwhile will be a really tough one for England. The leadership and coaching structure of the English side have had a complete overhaul, most of the bowlers are injured, they don’t fully know what their best XI is, and it’s difficult to know or predict what kind of performance is going to be produced by the eleven blokes who do turn up.

There are however some wildcard elements which could go in England’s favour. Taylor and Watling have retired, Williamson is woefully out of form, Nicholls is injured, and Boult might miss out on the first match as well. There will also be some early June rain around, which can cause disruption (in either direction).

Moreover, most of England’s players have been getting significant time on the pitch at domestic level since April. Pope, Root, Stokes and Foakes have all been in the runs. Anderson, Broad, Potts, Stokes and Leach have loads of overs under their belts. In contrast, the New Zealanders are short of practice in general & they got roasted in their sole warmup game against a random county lineup.

The longer term form book, however, does not lie. New Zealand are the World Test Champions in this format whereas England are in a massive hole and have one win in seventeen.

If England could take some inspiration from McCullum and Stokes in the dressing room and somehow scrape a 1-1 tied series from this meet, that would be a really good result for them.

I’m excited for the imminent debut of Matthew Potts and hoping for the coming debut of Harry Brook as well.

No matter what happens — Test cricket in England is back at last — looking forward to it. :)

I personally think a reasonable call to have Pope at no 3 given his outstanding FC record which endorses him to be one of the best young red ball batsman in Eng. I have also called for his promotion on the forum for sometime now.

General successfully way to transition a good young (Middle order) batsman to test cricket in a smooth manner is to give him that no 5-6 spot for few matches to get him settled and then promote him to no 4 or 5 or even above (If there is roam and Eng had plenty). Pope has played 23 Tests now with more than 22 innings at No 6, 11 at no 5, 4 at no 7 and just 2 at no 4. I personally believe he could have been given few tests at no 3 almost 7-10 test matches ago.

Foakes has kept well only in patches. He's one of the worst international keepers going around by some metrics.

Perhaps so, but still by some margin the best available to England.

I think he has felt in the past that he has only played when some face-fits type like Buttler who is matey with the skipper and selectors is crocked. Foakes has always felt that he will be dropped next match. Now given a decent run I think he will settle down.

Wondering now if they might have overcomplicated things by slotting in Pope at 3. Root did well at 3 in the West Indies.

Could have done Root 3, Bairstow 4, Brook 5, Stokes 6, Foakes 7.

It’s a robust middle order and the positions look more natural.

Then even if the openers fail (which they often do) you can see that middle order bailing out England in some way on a majority of occasions.

Perhaps so, but still by some margin the best available to England.

I think he has felt in the past that he has only played when some face-fits type like Buttler who is matey with the skipper and selectors is crocked. Foakes has always felt that he will be dropped next match. Now given a decent run I think he will settle down.

International keepers since 2019

FNgxR0lXoAgCfzT.jpg

You will notice that he is considerably worse than even Buttler and Bairstow. Also averages only 16 with the bat in this period . Hence, Buttler , while not the ideal option, was selected and quite justified.

Foakes had a great debut series in Lanka when he took all chances bar maybe one and averaged 70 with the bat .

Had not replicated that since .

View attachment 116102

You will notice that he is considerably worse than even Buttler and Bairstow. Also averages only 16 with the bat in this period . Hence, Buttler , while not the ideal option, was selected and quite justified.

Foakes had a great debut series in Lanka when he took all chances bar maybe one and averaged 70 with the bat .

“Catch success percentage”? Does that mean taking nicks? How do we know which nicks count, ones where the keeper gets a glove on the ball? Or where he might have taken a catch if he had dived a bit quicker? Seems a spurious stat to me.

Foakes has made 27 dismissals in the 22 innings he has kept. 22 catches and 5 stumpings.

Buttler has 130 catches and 1 stumping in 70 innings as keeper.

This would appear to suggest that Foakes is significantly better keeping to the spinners.

Foakes has never played a home test, so has not benefit from Anderson larging it in seaming conditions, while Buttler has.

View attachment 116102

Foakes deserves at least a couple of home series with England to demonstrate the full extent of his keeping and batting skills. I don’t think he has ever played a home Test. On this basis it’s not a reasonable comparison with Buttler and Bairstow at the moment.

Foakes deserves at least a couple of home series with England to demonstrate the full extent of his keeping and batting skills. I don’t think he has ever played a home Test. On this basis it’s not a reasonable comparison with Buttler and Bairstow at the moment.

He deserves a go no doubt. The only point I was trying to make was that there were posts calling out the selection of Buttler as keeper as illogical. Especially during the Ashes. That was a bit unfair imo.

Sadly ( and I hope im wrong) I think the new England will collapse in this test just as quickly as the old England.

In tribute to former England cricketer and coach Graham Thorpe, England Men’s Test Captain Ben Stokes will wear a one-off playing shirt with Thorpe’s name and capped number applied to the back for today’s toss.

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-02 at 10.29.34 AM (1).jpgWhatsApp Image 2022-06-02 at 10.29.34 AM.jpgWhatsApp Image 2022-06-02 at 10.29.33 AM.jpgWhatsApp Image 2022-06-02 at 10.29.34 AM (2).jpg

On balance it’s a bat first wicket, but there are some clouds around. Stokes and McCullum dodge the first potentially tricky decision! Could be a good toss to lose for them…

Shukkar rabba that circus IPL is over and now real cricket starts.
This should be an exciting series. Would have loved to see Harry brook getting debut. He is an exciting player.

With no home broadband and not much mobile data, it's old school radio for me.

Shame Harry Brook hasn't debuted. For all the talk of a new era the batting lineup retains a familiar look.

Two beautiful opening overs from Anderson and Broad. And then a wicket for Anderson! Where have these guys been lol

Worldie catch from Jonny Bairstow that.

The guy who some pundits and viewers wanted to see dropped from the team.

:)

Opening day of a test is a great site to watch!

Five slips!

First day of a test in England with Jimmy swinging it about is just wonderful viewing.

c Bairstow b Anderson for both wickets!

:)

Leach has hurt himself went over boundary bumper on his neck

NRuDTth.png

What an amazing sight!

Williamson has been struggling with form and fitness.

NZL looking quite fragile - and as I say that another wicket falls.

Can't wait for England under Ben stokes to give the phainty to overrated Indian team.

:)) well well well

The old timers are proving all doubters wrong.

Matthew Potts gets Kane Williamson!

First over in Test cricket! What a maiden wicket!

12-4 (amazingly)

England on fire.

Still waiting for an update on Jack Leach's condition. He is currently being assessed.

England's lengths have been considerably fuller than usual so far according to CricViz.

Update on Jack Leach as per Sky Sports:

Jack is showing signs of concussion after his fielding accident and as per the concussion protocols has been withdrawn from the first Test match against New Zealand. A concussion substitute for the remainder of the match will be arranged in due course.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jack Leach has symptoms of concussion following his head injury whilst fielding. <br><br>As per concussion guidelines, he has been withdrawn from this Test. <br><br>We will confirm a concussion replacement in due course.<br><br>🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ENGvNZ?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ENGvNZ</a> 🇳🇿 <a href="https://t.co/stuy0CQbYD">pic.twitter.com/stuy0CQbYD</a></p>— England Cricket (@englandcricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/englandcricket/status/1532325739248467969?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 2, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looks like the resilient NZ batting lineup have been owned by the "worst England side of all-time"??

just tuned in - Gee am glad real cricket is back...and how...6 gone before lunch on the first day.

U'd think NZ would be more adept at playing swing and seam - playing it day in and out on Green NZ wickets.

Gr8 catch by jonny - the first one!

just tuned in - Gee am glad real cricket is back...and how...6 gone before lunch on the first day.

U'd think NZ would be more adept at playing swing and seam - playing it day in and out on Green NZ wickets.

Kiwi wickets aren't that green any more due to climate change, they are more like Aussie tracks these days.

Just switched the radio on.

Well, this is a considerable surprise.

I was really looking forward to Matt Parkinson making his test debut but would have hoped for better circumstances.

I hope England show some confidence in the young leggie.

Kiwi wickets aren't that green any more due to climate change, they are more like Aussie tracks these days.

Just switched the radio on.

Well, this is a considerable surprise.

For white ball cricket - i agree that Kiwi wickets are generally flat, I woud'nt say so at least for Test matches.
case in example - the recent one on which SAF won after batting first. when the saf captain decided to bat first , i was sure they would be rolled out in 3 days, they proved me wrong but main point being with the exeption of Napier and possibly auckland at times, the rest ie wellington, dunedin, hamilton, chch are green tops and throw in heavy atmospheric conditions - they have swing and seam throughout
hence its a pity NZ are in the state they are currently, may be too much IPL :):ua

Good start to Stokes-McCullum era.

England are looking good to win this Test and possibly series too.

ENG need to aim to take these last four wickets quickly. Could limit NZ to a sub-80 score if they bowl well.

Sky have a guy who couldn't be bothered applying himself to play test cricket commenting on it.

Bring back Bumble!

NZ come out playing shots.

Get away with a couple of hits but then Anderson has Jamieson caught on the boundary by Potts!

45-7

Getting bounced out by 80MPH 39 year old Jimmy is a bit embarrassing lol

NZ look undercooked to me. Not sure how much first class cricket any of their batters have played in the last few months.

Little NZ counterattack. England in a phenomenally good position but just need to keep half an eye on this.

Kiwis pass 100...

Stokes should give himself a run.

Mathew Potts looks like another ollie Robinson type of bowler. He doesn't have lot of pace but he has been very accurate he surely will have lots of succes in England.

Stokes takes the final wicket.

NZ 132 all out!

Pakistan would raked over the coals for batting this poorly if they won the toss & decided to bat first.

NZ 132
ENG 11/0 (2.5) CRR: 3.88
Day 1: 2nd Session - England trail by 121 runs

19-0 at lunch, batting looks comfortable but a few poor bits of running which Lees and Crawley need to sort out between them.

The energy in English camp looks real lively.

I don't thing Crawley and Lees are going to become the permanent openers for England. They need to get in Ben Compton in before he gets over coached.

I do wonder how Root's relationship is with Anderson and Broad now after dropping them for WI tour and defending it.

Very poor batting effort by New Zealand. Bowling was hardly good enough to justify that collapse.

Very poor batting effort by New Zealand. Bowling was hardly good enough to justify that collapse.

It was only the first hour where the English seamers made themselves extremely difficult to play. After that it was mostly just average bowling from England.

Back