England struggle to 84/5 on Day 2 of the rescheduled Test against India at Edgbaston

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
India are 338/7, thanks in the main to that superb 146 from Pant - plenty of runs in one day but can the remaining batters take the score past 400? Big fight at hand for England to save this series.

Highlights of Day 1:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/73ercXgTwgQ" title="Joe Root Dismisses Dominant Pant | Highlights | England v India - Day 1 | LV= Insurance Test 2022" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it

Last edited:
Per the commentary team, the wicket will get quicker which should bode well for the Indians.

I still don't believe Indians deserve to take this series after pulling out of the series previously for IPL, anyway that's my personal matter.

Setting up to be a good test match....

Per the commentary team, the wicket will get quicker which should bode well for the Indians.

I still don't believe Indians deserve to take this series after pulling out of the series previously for IPL, anyway that's my personal matter.

That's fine. They made it that much harder for themselves to win this series by losing the momentum and allowing England the time to regroup. So things got levelled there I think.

If they win the series from here, it's fair and well deserved.

England are still in control. If India cannot reach 400, they will be in big trouble. England batters are in terrific form and the pitch is flat.
It all depends on Jadeja to take India to safety.

Root and Stokes remains key for England.

A learning for other teams- simply play five pacers in a match vs India unless it is a turning wicket. It is not a certainty that Pant will get out vs pace but vs spin, he can really take the game away by the time the second new ball comes into picture.

More so now because not just Pant but even Iyer is also a spin basher. A left arm spinner is a Rishabh Pant's paradise and an off spinner will be Iyer's paradise.

England shoul have played four pacers + Stokes + Root. Leech took 10 wickets in last match so you can't really blame them for that but this point needs to be taken into consideration by teams. Root is a more than capable part timer to bowl some overs every match.

Just saw highlights of yesterday's play. Jadeja was such a joy to watch, hardly a false stroke. Played some delectable cover drives.

England are still in control. If India cannot reach 400, they will be in big trouble. England batters are in terrific form and the pitch is flat.
By no means, England is out of this game as yet. For that, we needed to score minimum 450. Even then, it won't have been certain.

That's why it was imperative these remained unbeaten at stumps yesterday. But still, I've no complaints from Pant. He did far more than was expected of him.

Root and Stokes remains key for England.

A learning for other teams- simply play five pacers in a match vs India unless it is a turning wicket. It is not a certainty that Pant will get out vs pace but vs spin, he can really take the game away by the time the second new ball comes into picture.

More so now because not just Pant but even Iyer is also a spin basher. A left arm spinner is a Rishabh Pant's paradise and an off spinner will be Iyer's paradise.

England shoul have played four pacers + Stokes + Root. Leech took 10 wickets in last match so you can't really blame them for that but this point needs to be taken into consideration by teams. Root is a more than capable part timer to bowl some overs every match.

Can do that. You will get docked points. Pacers take forever to finish the quota. Can't get 10 overs in an hour done in that scenario.
Pant also has no issues vs medium pace trundlers which is what you will get as first change and 5th bowling options. He can still take the game away with ease. The more pressure he can put on their main bowlers by forcing them to fatigue themselves.

Last edited:

Is'nt that a matter of conjecture? I mean this reason was bandied around so easily, any one has solid proof of this? Was'nt there a covid virus scare last year which in that year, at that point of time was much more alarming and threatening sounding than this year?
As far as 'deserve' goes, surely some leeway as if not for the rain in the first test of the 2021 series, the scoreline would be a lot different.

India has far superior bowling that NZ. India should feel unlucky if they don't win this test.

Althought I will say this;. India generally dont win in sena when all 5 bowlers have been pace bowlers if I recall correctly. I.e. no spinner.

2018 In wanderers they beat s.africa where all bowlers were pacers. Since then in 2021, Lyon played alongside 4 pacers. India won.
Vs Kiwis. In wtc final. It was 5 seamers.
India lost.

Vs new zealand in new zeland. Lost games. Both games had all 5 seamers playing.

Should all teams opt for 3 fast bowlers and 2 support medium pace seamers vs India in sena conditions? I think the record right now is 3-1 in favour of opponents vs India.

So;
Barmy army should try
Woakes at 7
Potts at 8
Wood at 9 or ollie when he returns
Anderson at 10
Stone or wood at 11?
Stokes support bowler.
I think in seam conditions woakes and potts are good enough to add runs at 7 and 8.
What do people think?

97 overs for today.

1030-1230 1st session
1230-1310 lunch
1310-1536 2nd session
1536-1556 tea
1556- 1756 3rd session

That's fine. They made it that much harder for themselves to win this series by losing the momentum and allowing England the time to regroup. So things got levelled there I think.

If they win the series from here, it's fair and well deserved.

Valid point on the bolded bit.

I am a little soured by the whole pulling out of the series early for IPL, still not over it..

Potts bowled a lot of rubbish yesterday. Too full and too wide. With such errors, he was always going to get smacked.

Jadeja should batting up in the order. This guy has great talent but unfortunately India is wasting his batting skill. He is better than Vihari and Lyer for sure.

Jadeja should batting up in the order. This guy has great talent but unfortunately India is wasting his batting skill. He is better than Vihari and Lyer for sure.

There is a reason why he has 3 triple tons in domestics! Management should have utilized and groomed his batting skills lot earlier! Maybe "tests" was the format where he should really have been given more opportunities in the beginning of his career! But I think he was forced to make his way in LOIs in the beginning (under Dhoni) where he was not able to come up with the terms of striking the ball as a lower order batsman!

Since his bowling was not that affective (in the beginning) he failed to get into the Test Team and was utilized in LOIs because of his bits & piece skills (as per Manjrekar). If he was seen as primarily a batsman (in tests) who can bowl a bit, he would have been a prominent No.6 batsman in our test team thereby providing great balance to the team (a lone spinner in overseas tests and in home tests creating an opportunity for 3rd seamer or 4th spinner!)

He is one of the primary reasons for such a domination in our home tests!

Should inch our way to 400 somehow, and take the loss out of the equation.

Should inch our way to 400 somehow, and take the loss out of the equation.

Weather looks crap, I think the series win is a foregone conclusion now after Pant’s special knock

Valid point on the bolded bit.

I am a little soured by the whole pulling out of the series early for IPL, still not over it..

There's no empirical/quantifiable/metric proof of that, its a travesty that this is being thrown about so loosely on this blog. We defo have more idea of the virus/pandemic etc in 2022 than this time last year, where there was a world wide panic. The indian team management clearly said a few of their support staff tested +Ve on the eve of the match. The players, support staff , management were all jumpy, on tenter hooks and playing from isolation was not a tempting prospect.
Stop this pathetic narrative or else back it with solid proofs.

Weather forecast is again looking poor today, but better from tomorrow onwards.

If there is enough play, I think the match outcome (as it always would have done) really hinges on England’s first innings batting.

If England reach parity or near parity with India then they will be in their comfort zone from the New Zealand series; whereas getting a lead would be a dream; but if BazBall England have a disastrous quick batting collapse and end up 150-250 behind, this match is over.

With a big lead and scoreboard pressure, Jadeja would bowl out our players in the final innings.

I expect India to make 420 here and I think this Test is 65-35 in their favour atm.

Weather forecast is again looking poor today, but better from tomorrow onwards.

If there is enough play, I think the match outcome (as it always would have done) really hinges on England’s first innings batting.

If England reach parity or near parity with India then they will be in their comfort zone from the New Zealand series; whereas getting a lead would be a dream; but if BazBall England have a disastrous quick batting collapse and end up 150-250 behind, this match is over.

With a big lead and scoreboard pressure, Jadeja would bowl out our players in the final innings.

I expect India to make 420 here and I think this Test is 65-35 in their favour atm.

James Mate, as an indian fan who's watched us make a dogs breakfast of quite a few situations, i feel you have more confidense in our guys than a lot of us. That said am surprised to see opening with Stokes and potts, i thought new day - good nights rest - unleash legends jim & broad at us straight up.

James Mate, as an indian fan who's watched us make a dogs breakfast of quite a few situations, i feel you have more confidense in our guys than a lot of us. That said am surprised to see opening with Stokes and potts, i thought new day - good nights rest - unleash legends jim & broad at us straight up.

England fans I think are in a very happy place after the New Zealand series, which went way beyond our expectations in every way.

However we are acutely conscious that our new philosophy of ultra positive batting could be undone by quality bowlers from the likes of India and Australia.

RE Stokes. I think previously he has been managing his workload as the captain, one of the premier batsmen, 4th seamer — understandable. But he has realised here that his bowlers are bending their backs for a lot of overs and he needs to start pulling his weight. IMO apart from the no-balls he has bowled ok.

Stokes getting some extra bounce here.

Not sure if Stokes or the pitch…

Also just remembered that it is 2 overs until the second new ball becomes available. Stokes will be saving Anderson and Broad for that.

Jadeja on 96*, couple of fortuitous flashes over the slips.

Also just remembered that it is 2 overs until the second new ball becomes available. Stokes will be saving Anderson and Broad for that.

Thats a valid point. but fact also is they r bowling too short. I mean - u have shami - juust bowl at the 3 sticks of wood and he wont be comfy. maybe the grand strategy is to get the new ball and pitch it up, swing it and aim for nicks into slips

Jadeja 100! That’s a better shot.

A well played hand.

England fans I think are in a very happy place after the New Zealand series, which went way beyond our expectations in every way.

However we are acutely conscious that our new philosophy of ultra positive batting could be undone by quality bowlers from the likes of India and Australia.

RE Stokes. I think previously he has been managing his workload as the captain, one of the premier batsmen, 4th seamer — understandable. But he has realised here that his bowlers are bending their backs for a lot of overs and he needs to start pulling his weight. IMO apart from the no-balls he has bowled ok.

The new approach is trying to counter the obvious flawes the batting line up bar Root has. Hitting the way out of trouble is only papering cracks to a extent.

For me the bowling looks one dimensional and very predictable as well.

U go Rajput Bhaiyaad - u beauty!!!...out comes the Guj Rajput swordsman warrior celebration. What an innings!!!

:salute

Shami gone. Top edge to Broad, caught Leach

Bit of a nothing shot

Oooo, good effort Crawley on the boundary there

Scoreboard pressure way too much now.

Crazy fantasy chases won't happen every time. I

Amazing effort from crawley. saved a max.
gobsmacked they didnt run 2

Meanwhile good innings from shami. And more importantly 550 for Stuart Broad - a great of the game.

The new approach is trying to counter the obvious flawes the batting line up bar Root has. Hitting the way out of trouble is only papering cracks to a extent.

For me the bowling looks one dimensional and very predictable as well.

Bairstow and Pope I think are the proper batsmen alongside Root, they just needed their confidence and belief back. Stokes meanwhile is a quality player but is possibly even more hit and miss now than he used to be.

The injuries are hurting England in the bowling department, they need an accurate 90MPH+ paceman back like a Wood, Mahmood, or Archer. Olly Stone is back fit and bowling again; he could be the answer.

Scoreboard pressure way too much now.

Crazy fantasy chases won't happen every time. I

Not sure really, England were up against a mammoth 550 a couple of weeks back and managed to score 540 of their own. Albeit the bowlers here will be better.

I do think if we offered 350 to England right now they would take that every day of the week.

Not sure really, England were up against a mammoth 550 a couple of weeks back and managed to score 540 of their own. Albeit the bowlers here will be better.

I do think if we offered 350 to England right now they would take that every day of the week.

The extras column is a concern. Almost 10% of India's 1st innings score.

Great bowling by Anderson. Regardless of how you rate him, nobody can deny Anderson's genius in overcast conditions.

Jim grump gets rav jads, whaataninnings - u beaut!!

i guess the rest will swing the bats like mad axe murderers and aim for the tall timber, no point in just defending.
Siraj knows only one shot, backing away and carving over cover.
massive oppurtunity to jim grump to get a fiver
This will be fun whilst it lasts :)

The extras column is a concern. Almost 10% of India's 1st innings score.

Yep, more wides and no balls from Broad just now as well. England messy in this match. Will concede 400+ but could have been a more manageable 360. Could be a critical difference.

Bumrah channeling his inner Yuvraj here :yuvi

Broad losing the plot. 405/9 and a very good team score on the board now.

Broad about to concede the world record for the most expensive Test over ever

I always felt Jads was supremely underated as a cricketer. What i found striking about him was he always delivered when least expected and when the pressure was not on him. But when he was the main lead spinner somehoow i always found him lacking or freezing when the spotlight is on him.
...and whilst on the game njoing jazz boom taking broad prat to the clearners...
geez why dont they just bowl at the sticks?...more of the samme plz ....:ds

This is unreal...

34 and 1 ball left

Lmao.. not watching match, but were those legitimate shots from Bumrah? Hard to believe the scorecard.

This is now the most expensive over in Test cricket history. Previous record was 28 runs.

35 runs from the over.

74 runs from 66 balls this morning. Totally lost the plot here.

Unmitigated disaster. 35 runs in an over, scored by a tailender, and extras column is officially the 3rd highest score in this innings, with 39!

Stuart Broad is an embarrassment. It's a shame his name will be visible alongside the likes of Walsh and McGrath.

Yuvraj breathes a sigh of relief, his record for most runs in an over against Broad survives by 1 run :))

England have been pretty woeful this hour, steering themselves into a losing position here and India rightly taking full advantage

Bumrah on 30 off 15 :)) good knock skipper!

Bumrah i would say at best an "improving" tailender. Broad with new ball in overcast conditions went for 35 runs against him. That is just bad.

Back