Runs
Post of the Week
Hashim Amla

ODIs: 60
100s: 10 (6 ODIs/100)
50s: 18 (3.3 ODIs/50)
Average: 58.00
SR: 92.42
HS: 150 (129) Vs England at Southampton, 2012.

Virat Kohli

ODIs: 90
100s: 13 (6.92 ODIs/100)
50s: 21 (4.28 ODIs/50)
Average: 51.81
SR: 86.43
HS: 183 (148) Vs Pakistan at Mirpur, 2012.

Agree, that both play at different positions, but a comparison can still be made.

Statistically, looks like Amla beats Kohli very easily.

Last edited:
Amla averages almost 59 and with a S/R of 90+

Easily the best batsman, Kohli not far behind though.

Rightly ranked the top 2 ODI batsman.

In current form, I'm going to take Kohli. The guy's a century machine.

Amla's strike rate is a revelation. What a gem for the Saffers.

amla the sr and average don't lie, but no reason why kohli can't catch him.

Amla has scored runs in Eng, SA and Australia so lets wait for Kholi to score some 100s there and then we can decide who is the better player but for now it's Amla hands down.

It gets closer (but still only closer, Amla still ahead) after..

Excluding non test playing nations:

Hashim Amla

ODIs: 53
100s: 7 (7.57 ODIs/100)
50s: 16 (3.3 ODIs/50)
Average: 56.06
SR: 90.30

Virat Kohli

ODIs: 86
100s: 13 (6.61 ODIs/100) - gets ahead here
50s: 21 (4.09 ODIs/50)
Average: 53.83
SR: 86.98

Amla has scored 26 100's so far in both odi and test and look at the teams he has scored them against. :moyo

v Australia 2
v Bangladesh 2
v England 5 (4 in England)
v India 6
v Netherlands 1
v New Zealand 3
v Pakistan 2
v Sri Lanka. 1 :yk
v West Indies 2
v Zimbabwe 2

Only one against srilankan phaast bowlers as SA doesn't play them every other week :asif

But who's talking about tests? Besides amla has played cricket ,4 years before kohli so obviously he will have more runs considering his class.

Personally I would say amla is ahead. But kohli is deserved number two. Two class odi players who score runs without stupid shots.

trying to derail the debate :))

We're talkin abt odis and lankans are regarded as a strong odi team especially in SC where almost all the visiting teams struggle

The fact that Virat made a transition from U.Akmal comparison thread to Amla comparison thread tells me a story! Amla still ahead of Virat... Sad that Virat doesn't get many opportunities to perform in Aus, SA, Eng... Would have easily shut his critics up!

Amla is ahead. But it is indeed quite hilarious that we used to have an enormous Kohli v Umar Akmal comparison thread, with many choosing Akmal :)))

I would take Amla but there are a lot of things to be considered.

Amla has only played 60 ODIs. Lets see where he is after 100. That will give us a much better idea if he is as legendary as his stats suggest.

On the other hand Kohli has played like 35% of his innings vs Sri lanka. Hopefully India stop playing 7 match ODI series vs SL and then we will have a better idea of how good Kohli really is.

If both of them still average 50+ this time next year it will be a shock to me.

not in England

anyway this thread is about ODIs

Ok so they did play Odis there as well and I really dont expect you to recall those bad days.

I'm not saying Kholi isn't a class act but please don't compare him to Amla. Amla has just taken a part no.1 test side in their own backyard.

Dude Amla is by is way ahead aspecially his class its just a joy to watch so for ME amla all the way

Amla is ahead. But it is indeed quite hilarious that we used to have an enormous Kohli v Umar Akmal comparison thread, with many choosing Akmal :)))

Kohli is the best 'young' talent in the world right now

this is a Pak forum

Only Pak batsman who can be compared to Kohli is :umarakmal

:D ¿ya feel me?

Ok so they did play Odis there as well and I really dont expect you to recall those bad days.

I'm not saying Kholi isn't a class act but please don't compare him to Amla. Amla has just taken a part no.1 test side in their own backyard.

yeah we lost there,but Kohli got a hundred in that series,which is what thread's about

that thread was start of Kohli's success.dont underestimate

Amla is in next league ?? :))

Serious underestimation of kohli!

Kohli played 30 more odis than amla,thats a huge difference!

I don't see the point of comparing the ages of the two because international cricket is about experiance not age.. Amla might be aged 29 and Virat 23 but virat has played way more odi's than amla and has more experiance..
Amla is ahead of him easily.

Amla is the best bat in the world at the moment. Kohli is a good young batsman but not comparable with Amla right now but has age in his favor to catch-up.

Rizwan, Amla scored 6 centuries against Ind, it's easier to score against our bowling attack than Lanka's

Amla is from SA obv it's easier for him to score in Aus n Eng. Real test for him is scoring in UAE against Ajmal or in Lanka. Similarily Kohli's centuries in SA, ENG will be ranked higher.

It's a good comparison thread neverthless, Kohli is also a brilliant fielder n can contribute with ball. As this thread is about ODI, i would say Kohli is more useful when compared to Amla :)

Last edited:
Meh, they're both the two best batsman in the world at the moment in ODIs, sometimes it'll be Amla's day, sometimes Kohli's. I'd rather have Kohli in the team though, higher centuries/matches ratio.

Meh, they're both the two best batsman in the world at the moment in ODIs, sometimes it'll be Amla's day, sometimes Kohli's. I'd rather have Kohli in the team though, higher centuries/matches ratio.

that's a myth. Check OP.

(although including non test playing nations)

:)

Last edited:
Isn't there any South Africa vs India odi series?? We'll see then

That'd be highly unfair to Kohli.

While one has to face the likes of Irfan and Vinay, the other has to face Steyn and Morkel. :p

Abby babluuuu teri dawai ka time ho gaya hay :yk

what the hack is this? A very poor quality post from an old user.

Trying to derail the topic right from the start. A bit sad to see when senior posters play cheap tricks.

Rizwan, Amla scored 6 centuries against Ind, it's easier to score against our bowling attack than Lanka's

Amla is from SA obv it's easier for him to score in Aus n Eng. Real test for him is scoring in UAE against Ajmal or in Lanka. Similarily Kohli's centuries in SA, ENG will be ranked higher.

It's a good comparison thread neverthless, Kohli is also a brilliant fielder n can contribute with ball. As this thread is about ODI, i would say Kohli is more useful when compared to Amla :)

Height of favoritism!!!!well better average and better strike rate was not good enough for you that you questioned Amla's ability in UAE..have a look then ..these are scores when Shoaib Akhtar featured in Pakistan line up...

35 Abu Dhabi
65 Abu Dhabi
119 not out at Dubai
10 at Dubai
62 at Dubai

So an average of 73 still leaves any doubt about Amla's ability???

Height of favoritism!!!!well better average and better strike rate was not good enough for you that you questioned Amla's ability in UAE..have a look then ..these are scores when Shoaib Akhtar featured in Pakistan line up...

35 Abu Dhabi
65 Abu Dhabi
119 not out at Dubai
10 at Dubai
62 at Dubai

So an average of 73 still leaves any doubt about Amla's ability???

Great... but I want to know how many times has Amla faced Ajmal in that series?

Woah I see Ajmal hasn't even finished his quota of 10 overs(sometimes 5,6 overs) in those matches!! Any reason for that? I'm asking this generally...nothing in the context of this thread...

The stats are similar but Kohli has played two very very memorable innings already. The 180 odd against Pakistan in the Asia cup and 100 against the Lankans in Australia.

If we are allowed to pick only 1 player out of those two-

Odi - Kohli
Test - Amla

It's my personal opinion and it might be a bit biased as Kohli is fav batsman after Sachin :)

Woah I see Ajmal hasn't even finished his quota of 10 overs(sometimes 5,6 overs) in those matches!! Any reason for that? I'm asking this generally...nothing in the context of this thread...

He wasnt considerd as our leading bowler by than just antoher offspinner he only became our top bowler in the alst 18 months

A glance at their stats tells us Amla is the superior Batsman

But with Kohli's age and the insane ratio of Scoring Centuries im willing to be by the 100th ODI Mark Kohli will be ahead of Amla

its really close between these two in ODI's...

while kohli has 2 class innings in his 130 odd and 183 this year

amla has his own master class innings in his 150 against eng in eng in difficult batting conditions...

but i would probably pick amla coz kohli can boost his average a lot more than amla coz he not only plays a ton more odi's than amla does....but also plays against the same opponent a lot(SL) in familiar conditions...when u play in similar conditions against the same opposition DAT MUCH it def gets easier to get a hold of how to score lots of runs against them....and kohli has the CLASS to do it so not really takin credit away from him....

and amla is PURE CLASS no matter what the conditions are...not many may remember this match but i do

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/461568.html

dubai it was in 2010....conditions were pretty tuff to bat in...almost every south african batsman found it tough except hash....who carried his bat thru the innings scoring at a strike rate of 94....MASTERPIECE of an inning

Amla has 10 tons in 60 innings

Kohli has 13 tons in 90 innings

so Amla has better ton ratio, better Avg., better S/R..

so Amla wins easily, but Kohli still has age on his side
amla is 29, methinks

comparing kohli's 100 in hobart and 183 vs PAK with the amla's 150 is an epic fail...

Those two centuries from kohli are breathtaking which came at intense,pressure cooker situations while amla's 150 is just another 150

Not much between them either way.

Can't go wrong with either of these two in your team.

comparing kohli's 100 in hobart and 183 vs PAK with the amla's 150 is an epic fail...

Those two centuries from kohli are breathtaking which came at intense,pressure cooker situations while amla's 150 is just another 150

Kohli is the best Indian bat at the moment, Amla is the best bat in the world atm. Kohli one day may be better than anyone else but right now he isn't, why should it even be a debate ?

its understandable to rate kohli's 100's over amla's 150....i do agree kohli's hobart knock is def a level higher than amla's 150.....even 183 is a bit better....but to say amla's 150 is just another 150 is jus being pure biased....difficult batting conditions....where the rest of the south african team scored about 130 ish overall from around 176 balls....where as amla himself was 150 off 124....he literally carried the south african batting on his shoulders...sure it was a first innings hundred and not one in a chase but considering the conditions....against eng in eng it was GREAT....

Amla is better. Opening in an ODI is so much more difficult.

It gets closer (but still only closer, Amla still ahead) after..

Excluding non test playing nations:

Hashim Amla

ODIs: 53
100s: 7 (7.57 ODIs/100)
50s: 16 (3.3 ODIs/50)
Average: 56.06
SR: 90.30

Virat Kohli

ODIs: 86
100s: 13 (6.61 ODIs/100) - gets ahead here
50s: 21 (4.09 ODIs/50)
Average: 53.83
SR: 86.98

Those stats are wrong.
You have excluded Zimbabwe and kept Bangladesh in just to favor Kohli, but Zimbabwe is also a test playing nation.

Really what some indians can do is so surprising!
Master in twisting stats! ::sachin

Yes! :sachin

Spec when almost half are against srilanka :amin

And one of those 100's in Aus is also against srilanka just FYI. :waqar

How about we cancel all the matches in the sub-continenet comepletely ? They dont matter anyway .

Some of you are such a insecure bunch

Virats hunderds are all mostly matchwinning , chasing ones .

Virat has 2 gears more than Amla if required .

No even a comparison in LOI's

Stats aside one plays on fast pitches and the other on flat decks against the lankans...

nonetheless Kohli is a very good player

Virats hunderds are all mostly matchwinning , chasing ones .

Virat has 2 gears more than Amla if required .

No even a comparison in LOI's

Oh my God!!!I was on my PC to read such a stupid statement at 2 o'clock night....:burn:
looks a tough day ahead...

Amla: Away matches in Australia and England: 520 runs in 11 innings at 57.70 and a strike rate of 85.95 with 1 hundred and 2 fifties.

Kohli Away matches in Australia and England: 276 runs in 9 innings at 30.66 and a strike rate of 80.46 with 1 hundred and 1 fifty.

So in away matches in those two countries Amla averages about two times more than Kohli.
I have excluded South Africa on purpose because a lot of people may argue it's Amla's home country so he should average more etc...

In matches both played together:
Kholi has scored 251 runs in 7 innings at 41.83 and a strike rate of 79.17 with no hundred and three fifties.

Amla has scored 432 runs in 8 innings at 61.71 and a strike rate of 93.70 with one hundred and 4 fifties.

Kohli is a very very good ODI batsman but I don't see anything to say he is equal or better than Hashim Amla for the moment.
As other posters said, Amla is in another league, and he is alone in his league so far.
He just surpassed everybody by scoring 3000 runs in 57 innings.

Those who are saying one is played on flat track and one has not, relax! ODI tracks are usually flat everywhere in the world.

Amla is clearly batter batsmen, so let's not hyperventilate in claiming that he is! Kohli isn't far behind either. I would have both in my team.

Back