ICC World Cup 2023: India v Australia | Match 5 | Chennai | 08 October | Australia innings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bharat on fire here

Aussies 5 down.

Let’s bowl them out and crush them.

Australia have too many players averaging in their 30s. They are so dependent on Smith and Warner

This is not even a usual Chennai pitch I think. Earlier in the year Aus managed to score around 270 if I remember correctly.
This looks like tailormade for ash kul Jad.

I expect Afg Pak game pitch to be much better
Dont know what you are talking about, avg first innings score in Chennai is 230.

I don't fancy Pakistan's chances against Afghanistan in Chennai if the pitch behaves the same as what we're seeing today.
Afghanistan spinners don't spin the ball. If they play Noor Ahmad then Pakistan is in trouble

Chennai pitch has been like this for the last 15 years, in fact pitch is better for batting today.

Australia defended 250 against India last time on this same pitch. This is like a classic 80s or 90s ODI pitch, more than turn it is the double-paced nature that makes batting challenging. Pacers will also get purchase with new ball because of sea breeze.
Finally a pitch where bowlers are in it . Australia just playing rubbish. Indians bowling well but Australia do not know how to rotate stroke against the spinners.

Afghanistan spinners are highly over rated. They are good only in Franchise cricket.

Pak has a terrific record in Chennai though. never lost in any format in this venue. Afghanistan is an overrated side.
See off Mujeeb and should be fine . With ifti and Saud in the middle hopefully that stabilises us. With the afghans a par score should be enough

Afghanistan spinners are highly over rated. They are good only in Franchise cricket.

Afghanistan won't chase any total here. But they can defend 230 to 240 here. But they are unpredictable with bat. They won't put that many most of the times.

Pak has a terrific record in Chennai though. never lost in any format in this venue. Afghanistan is an overrated side.

I do acknowledge your knowledge of the Chennai ground, pitch and the history of the cricket played here has always been impressive.

However, this Pakistan team has the worst spin attack I've ever seen fielded by a Pakistan team in living memory.

If PAK bats first, Afghans won’t cross 100 chasing….. if PAK bowls first, Afghans won’t play out 40 overs.

Afghans are a bit overhyped here in PP for their cricket talent for their own good.
Not a bit and not just here. Overrated too much and everywhere. In 2019 WC they couldn't win a single match. Their spinners also are very average beyond 4 overs per bowler cricket. Even in T20I circus they get smashed against top sides every single time.

Bangladesh is a much bigger threat this time, if some of their players click I can see them getting 5 wins at least. With Afghans I don't see them beating any side apart from the Dutch.

I don't understand why Pakistanis give so much respect to Afghan cricket team on this forum.

If PAK bats first, Afghans won’t cross 100 chasing….. if PAK bowls first, Afghans won’t play out 40 overs.

Afghans are a bit overhyped here in PP for their cricket talent for their own good.
Yep. Horribly overrated on this forum for no good reason.

They have never beaten a Top 6 side ever. Zim, Ireland are both better.

To all those saying Afghans spinner are overrated. I much rather have them over Shadab and Nawaz tbh.

India still don't know how to deal with tailenders. They will pack their main batters but Cummins and Zampa will take Australia to 230 😂😂

Afghanistan won't chase any total here. But they can defend 230 to 240 here. But they are unpredictable with bat. They won't put that many most of the times.
Even if they score 300 they can't win, their seamers will make sure opponent team chase any kind of total.

Labu and Smith went full on Test grinding mode and ruined the whole momentum of the innings. It was going along well for Australia as long as Warner was at the crease..

Even if they score 300 they can't win, their seamers will make sure opponent team chase any kind of total.
Typical Chennai pitch is such a pitch that a team can go from 100/0 in 10 overs to 105/5 in 12 overs in no time.It is not done until is done kind of pitch.

India still don't know how to deal with tailenders. They will pack their main batters but Cummins and Zampa will take Australia to 230 😂😂
Kuldeep and bumrah can take care of tail but first need to break this partnership .Maxi is very dangerous Player as he can change the game in few overs

I would drop Hasan Ali, play Usama Mir on this pitch if the pitch is similar

I would drop Haris Rauf. His extra pace will come on to the bat nicely on a slow pitch.

First boundary scored in more than 12 overs.

Australia have too many players averaging in their 30s. They are so dependent on Smith and Warner
Take Gill and rohit out, India also struggle badly. They are not great vs spin.

Typical Chennai pitch is such a pitch that a team can go from 100/0 in 10 overs to 105/5 in 12 overs in no time.It is not done until is done kind of pitch.
That's scary for us Pakistanis. We play Afghans on such a pitch.

These two shouldn't take risks, just aim for 230-240 total, that should be a challenge for India.

I like these kind of old school ODIs more than the extended T20 slogfests of recent times.

These two shouldn't take risks, just aim for 230-240 total, that should be a challenge for India.

I like these kind of old school ODIs more than the extended T20 slogfests of recent times.
Yea such a change. I am so pleased with this.

Pacers can be deadly too. Just need to bowl accurately. Rauf can be handy in 2 faced pitches.

why do you want to bat first on such wicket as today? its obvious underlight ball will grip/spin less.

Naah Afghanistan does struggle against 145+ kph bowling

I agree with you on that but on such a slow wicket like this one, I'm not so sure.

Also, Hasan Ali has been our best bowler ever since the team touched down in India. Shaheen is far better than him but doesn't look 100% fit.

Glenn Maxwell just hit the first boundary for Australia in 73 balls. A quite extraordinary squeeze from the Indian bowlers

why do you want to bat first on such wicket as today? its obvious underlight ball will grip/spin less.
Chennai is different. Pitch gets slower and more uneven bounce in the second innings. And dew isn't a factor. Last 10 ODIs here, since 2011, 7/10 times team batting first has won. One of the times the chasing team won was NZ against Kenya. So 7/9 bias batting first if you count the top sides.

Chennai is different. Pitch gets slower and more uneven bounce in the second innings. And dew isn't a factor. Last 10 ODIs here, since 2011, 7/10 times team batting first has won. One of the times the chasing team won was NZ against Kenya. So 7/9 bias batting first if you count the top sides.
Ah right. So india will be in trouble then? 240 winning score?

True. I don't think Afghans are chasing anything more than 150 on this deck. But in the event if Afghans do manage to conjure their way to 200-220 with a not so poor start and couple of partnerships, they have a huge chance though.

Ah right. So india will be in trouble then? 240 winning score?
250+ Aus will be favorites. Less than 220 India favorites. In between I think 50:50.

This Indian team is weak against spin, if they had Agar I would have been more worried.

India may secure a spot in the semifinals, but they are expected to be eliminated at that stage due to an imbalanced playing XI and their captain being past his prime

Average speed 138 bumrah
Fastest 144
Siraj fastest 143
Average speed 138.4

Good speeds in the heat

In chennai, there'll hardly be any dew. It takes the peak of December/January to observe any semblance of dew here. There's humidity all through the year.

Chennai is one venue which would have challenged the modern English approach to white ball batting. Luckily for them, they don't play a single game here, you need a different mindset and skillset to succeed here. Like how ODI was played 20-30 years back.

Kuldeep to Maxwell, OUT
Glenn Maxwell b Kuldeep Yadav 15 (25b 1x4 0x6) SR: 60

Looks like India will play their matches against SENA on spin tracks whilst playing the Asian sides on belters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back